Help me out Sup Forums

Help me out Sup Forums

I'm an Indie musician who has spent the past two or so years touring my home country playing shows. I've honestly never been happier even though I really don't make enough money to survive. I have a part time job at home that covers most of my expenses. I still have to live with my parents to afford my life though.

The other day my dad told me that Imy approaching 25 and will need to think about quitting music. He thinks I'll be too old to do it and I'll never make enough money to survive, let alone support a family. Normally I ignore those kind of comments from other people as I seem to be moving forward despite the fact I'm in a brutally hard industry but the fact that it came from my father kind of threw me.

I really just needed to get this off of my chest. I'll read if anyone has any opinions. Do you think 25 is too old to do professional music?

you can still do music man. don't give up.

No, you'll be fine.

It depends on which one will make you happier:

>Slowing down on the music, getting a better job and maybe college. However, you'll make more money.

Or

>Having fun with your job, but you'll make very little money.

So, it boils down to Money or loving your job

Wayne Coyne didn't put out The Soft Bulletin until he was 39. It's never too late for you. Do your thing user!

If you're gonna keep living with your parents I think you're pretty obligated to just do what he says and/or get a job. If you get your own place and can scrape by with your part time and your show then I'd say fuck it and keep doing what you're doing.

Evaluate whether or not you can make enough money to live on your own and continue doing music.

Another question is whether or not you see potential in the music. Do you people come to see you or are you opening for people or doing open mics?

I'm very much someone who lives for their job. Literally nothing makes me happier. It's not fun to have very little but it's way better that working a job I hate.

Post examples of your musical output and I'll decide whether you should stay in music. My advice will be the best.

now you will have to work at walmart forever

I recently moved in and will be moving out come spring. I was dealt a bad hand of cards this fall and some shows that were worth a lot of money went south. Thats a temporary set back.

I'm doing national tours and plan on touring Europe next fall. As I said before, we have seen substantial growth this year. I just played Toronto for the second time ever and played back to back sold out shows. Mind you, they were both approx 100 people.

As much as I would like to, I've seen way too many people outed on Sup Forums. I'd prefer to stay anonymous. Hopefully my answer here helps:

Charles Bradley released his debut album at the age of 63. You can still do music. It's never too late

cmon, you don't have to post your actual stuff. Just do some quick improv or a cover

25 is pretty young for the music industry outside of pop

DESU, I think you should go for it. Your parents should tell you what makes you happy, that's in your power and your power only. You'll need to sustain yourself, but that's worth it for happiness.

Also, link us please!

I tried to upload a song but I'm on my phone and it was too big.

Either way, thanks for the support guys. I appreciate it.

Yeah honestly OP if you're really doing music seriously, 25 is just the beginning for most.

You're "more successful" than me, and I'm 24. I'm not stopping though no matter how I down I get about it. Positivity is where its at. My dad told me when I was 13 that musicians never make it and it's a joke of a career. That was long before I even started making music

>I still have to live with my parents
>Im approaching 25

If your still growing I'd say keep going but if your fans have stagnated and you've seen no economic growth it may be time to stop

25 isn't too old, if you really want to make a living off music you can make somewhere in the 50k a year in Orlando. Best place to make money off gigs in the east coast

There are 50 year olds playing grindcore everyday and they couldn't be happier

go for it OP

>Do you think 25 is too old to live at home while doing professional music?
ftfy

im 23 and i'm only just getting started

fuck it man just go for it

>Support a family
do you Want a family? They're pretty archaic nowadays desu

> read the other comments

Holy shit. Really?

Still awaiting that link...

you can still do music if you want, but it's probably a good idea to get a job on the side to be safe.