/prod/

Pretty lights edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/reibrown/picture-frames-1
clyp.it/e4yuvvza
clyp.it/j5rm3hdn
clyp.it/kerijnvf
clyp.it/4tjxryr0
clyp.it/f0egxeho
clyp.it/ld2j2qoo:
mega.nz/#!Kl8V3CAQ!Ldv0m_2E1uFra6SJJuk91oxH6LpvxiguuatEXa5aXeQ
clyp.it/xx4m0tos(made
clyp.it/x000rz4j
clyp.it/4oqjpy3j
youtube.com/watch?v=6g03WsgcmAI
clyp.it/p35e4jyr
samplemagic.com/details/1208/vaporwave
clyp.it/jltbis4h
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So right now, I have

>Renoise

What kinda hardware should I get to go with it, /prod/? I'm having a blast just with the software and I know this is definitely something I really want to do in my free time.

I'm thinking a MIDI keyboard but pic related looks neato to me, too.

interface
speakers

soundcloud.com/reibrown/picture-frames-1

what kind of equipment or vsts or fucking whatever would I use to create this kind of sound? sorry for retarded question but i'm a complete fucking beginner.

Thanks mate

just practice with the plugins that came with your daw

clyp.it/e4yuvvza

Thoughts on this? Been in writers block for months and this is one of the only things i've been able to churn out for a while.

clyp.it/j5rm3hdn (embed) give her a listen.
Well /prod/ I decided to call it quits on the first track(its finished enough) and started working on song 2. I used qtractor for this one instead of lmms because so many people told me lmms is shit(I politely disagree but decided to mix it up). Will be sticking with lmms. I don't think theres much to comment on in terms of song yet but i've been messing with synths. Do they sound like they could make something fun?
Thank you for reading my music blog.

plz no self advertising

Like it, i'm not really a person to be giving critiques of anything but it feels like it has too many voice samples.

i wish that was me lol

>plz no self advertising
he was asking how to get a sound like that if you read his post i almost did the same thing though because usually soundcloud is self shilling

It is the closest thing most of us see to paradise.

Oops.

clyp.it/kerijnvf

Feedback? I will return feedback (maybe tomorrow)

clyp.it/4tjxryr0

better than anything you hermits have made in a while

clyp.it/f0egxeho

got told by Sup Forums to ask here. I want to learn the piano and figured I could get one that would connect to my computer for programs, any suggestions?

anybody have gotten work from Craigslist

You can probably find a cheap midi keyboard on craigslist. It really depends on your budget and what you want.

tfw you have a really good unreleased track, but the guy you used to duo with claims you stole clips of his for the song, and now I can't release it. :c

hey flume

person from last thread asking about the snare I used in clyp.it/ld2j2qoo: It's garbageclap from this pack: mega.nz/#!Kl8V3CAQ!Ldv0m_2E1uFra6SJJuk91oxH6LpvxiguuatEXa5aXeQ

>clyp.it/4tjxryr0

Yeah it's pretty sweet dude.

this is so cute

Looking for my Brissy m808. You know who you are. Hope you see this, and hope you came last week.

get some midi piano and download Kontakt VST.
Look for the aftertouch and reviews on how the keys feel, possibly get a pedal too.

As user said, an interface and decent monitor speakers are your best option. As you're using a tracker, having a full keyboard isn't essential. If you do want one, just get a small 25 keyboard as it'll be enough to work out basic ideas on.

nah m8, I would have loved to go but unfortunately I'm poor.

Your EP was very original. You managed to blend synthetic and organic sounds and textures so well, an idea that I don't think was fully realized in skin. Congrats on the ARIA's btw

I finally heeded your advice, and switched to ableton over the weekend. It's reverb and delay plugins are a lot better, as well as the sampler. Even the time and pitch stretching algorithms produce a better sound.

I ventured a bit into psytrance with this.

clyp.it/xx4m0tos(made in ableton)

I made this one in FL, the kick is way way too distorted though
clyp.it/x000rz4j

Some handy tips for warping with Ableton

Beats mode helps preserve individual nears when you slow a sample down. It fills on the blank spaces by sampling the tail of the beat and looping it to fill in the silent parts. The arrows indicate whether it fills in with the same loop over and over, or whether it plays the loop forwards then backwards repeatedly.

Repitch is just vinyl style warping.

Tone mode slices the sample up and uses the slices to fill in gaps. It's good for things like pianos, basslines and other melodic parts. You can adjust the size of the grains (slices) to compensate for blank spaces.

Texture is similar but for pads and strings.

Complex and complex pro are for full tracks and more involved samples, it's only really needed for things like DJing

Aw, sweet dude. :)
I'll have a way better listen to both when I have a chance. I liked the sound of Spirit though. Just probably didn't like that first transition. But it was really chill for the rest. The one with the psytrance I kind of just skipped through.
And m8, since when has super distorted kick bothered me.
Haha, I FINALLY released it yeah. Unfortunately one song I couldn't, thanks to a certain other person. I personally want to say that, I sometimes feel that I over did a lot, but...I'm just looking forward to EPs for a while. :)
Hx

Also, thank you for finally listening to me! You will find Ableton a far easier DAW to manage. If you have any questions please.

guys, I'm mixing an EP on pro tools on my pc at home, right,

I'm getting an AWFUL noise floor ...

If I was doing exactly the same thing in ableton, I wouldn't have any noise floor.

it sounds like I have a white noise generator for some reason

anyone had this issue?

>ableton
enjoy your shitty "warp" full of artefacts

If you're getting artifacts then you're using the wrong mode. I don't get any artifacts at all, just takes using the right mode with a few adjustments to the settings. Try learning instead of being a pleb

THIS

Thanks dude, the psytrance track is really worth a listen. And I'm guessing the song you cut was the one with the water sound effects? Was it Chris or Jess?

Spectrum analyzer isn't lying, maybe upgrade your shitty setup and learn how to /prod/, baby.

>FL users make memes
>While ableton users are living out their dreams

At this point in time, I just think it's Jess looking for attention...but what do I know? It's not like I didn't produce half her EP for her or anything. Let's just say "That Look" WILL NOT BE SEEING THE LIGHT OF DAY.

as a renoise user of about 6 years I've never once used any external peripherals that are not the computer keyboard to input notes or performances, that's not what renoise is for, I use other DAWS for that..

What we're you trying to warp and with which warp mode? If you do something stupid like warp vocals using beat mode or warp a beat using tone mode then of course you'll get artifacts. I don't get artifacts on any of my samples, it's not hard to do

you just ablezoned him senpai
dont forget to buy push 2.1 we may also introduce a mono function and a new piano roll that isn't from 90s if you buy our Studio Pro version today

That sucks, I think she owes you a lot more, Talk Talk was a masterpiece. All she has to do is sing a bunch of adlibs..

Use the utility plugin, and set the width to 0%. That's mono.

Well, see, "That Look" was the one that accidentally got leaked with her singing in it. The cut one is what's being claimed to be "Goh". You tell me if you can even hear anything similar. There was at one point that Emoh did live that was like it...but now it's kinda like fighting over nothing.

>he doesn't know what mono is

clyp.it/4oqjpy3j

working on winter-y chords and sound textures.

Yeah I see what you mean. Don't really hear any similarities.

So you know how you used to produce more house style music, how did you change your musical style so drastically between HEDS and Flume?

It wasn't so much that it was a change, it was more the fact that producing something that had a nice neat new sound. It was really just all these influences coming together, and making something that was listenable and cool. Then the sound stuck and has evolved.

hmm, how do you feel about this? Such a tune lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=6g03WsgcmAI

Errrr...that sampling. I don't know whether to laugh, cry or otherwise.

Sue him for fun.

Got any ideas on what you want to do in the future? Ever thought of starting your own label?

Lol, was it you I jokingly sued for the vox thing?

Lie low, and just ease my way into some more music is the plan.Think some pressure is relieved now. Own label, no, but I would love to do a thing where I help people learn shit.

Anyways, m8 - hope to catch you again, but I gotta go. :) H

Flume here AMA

Haha yeah, it was.

Thanks for the chat, cya m8

>Pretty lights edition
does anyone here do lighting programming?
i know it's dumb af, but I'd love to get into this, Ive seen videos of different festivals and I want to be a part of it, no joke

Running a label is a lot of hard work. You'll have to learn all the legal side for setting up contracts, setting up copyrights, collecting all the royalties and distributing them (although PRS, PPL, etc can look after that), listening to hundreds of demos a week, PR, promotion of artists, and loads of other stuff. I've known artists that started running labels and had to stop making their own music.

It would be nice running a label and developing a particular sound for it but I'd rather set up a studio and run that. I have more fun producing my own tracks and would love to be producing for others

Are there any videos that show off Push in a deeper way than a guy playing boom bap, adding hi hats and some chords?
Anyone ever registered an ISRC?

I didn't realize there was that much, but I assume you could hire people to do all that stuff.

You can, but if it's a fledgling label then you want to keep costs down. You can't guarantee making enough money to cover everything and salaries on top

With Christmas coming up, you've got an opportunity.

How's the CPU load on the final release? I get 30% idling on the beta release, which is ridiculous.

Other than that I fucking loved. I think I might keep using it regularly.

how do I get my songs louder without destroying the dynamic range?

mix them better

Anyone else think the kick on The Weeknd - Starboy sounds really overcompressed in the chorus? I was just listening to it and it threw me off how crappy the kick sounds when everything else is so crisp.

>he cant into engineering 101

you just need a midi>dxm converter, then use midi tracks/clips specifically for controlling lights

I thought mono only applied to MIDI

Oi any of yous guys interested in buying my Tascam DR-40? I'm gonna throw it up on eBay but thought I'd ask my /prod/ bros first.

Comes with Pelican case, windmuff, USB cable, 4GB SD card. Perfect condition!

wew i like it. sound great.

This has become my test track for synth things. Do the high hats sound right?

clyp.it/p35e4jyr

samplemagic.com/details/1208/vaporwave

How the fuck do I ping pong loop a sample in Ableton Simpler?

/prod/ you're my only hope

I'm trying to find a cheap but decent condenser mic for a a bare bones laptop recording set up I'm making. I can spend about $100-$130 on it, I'm looking at condensers because I want to record my piano, kalimba, acoustic guitar, didge, etc. as well as vocals. I've heard some decent things about the AT 2020 but idk. What mic is most ideal/versatile in that price range??

JUST

Do you have an audio interface to plug the mic into aready?

Generally cheap condensers don't sound great. I'd say save up and get more, and find a used one on ebay. I got a 1600$ Neuman TLM 193 for 600$ on ebay a few months ago.

If you get a really condenser, chances are it'll leave you wanting and you'll just upgrade eventually anyway.

lmao just synthesize whatever sound you want to record newbie

save up and get a more expensive one*

if you get a really cheap condenser*

Also not everything is about the money and sometimes cheap gear can surprise you, but cheap condensers are generally not very good.

I'm using a scarlett focusrite 2i2. I'm completely new. Trying to keep costs low and test the waters a bit. If I end up making something satisfying then I'll save up for a while and get real hardware.

Alright but whatever you were planning on spending on the mic, go to ebay and see what you can get for the same price. If you play it right you might be able to find an AT4033 or a Rode NT1A on there in your price range.

>real hardware
Isn't Scarlett pretty good unless you want to record drums or something?

He was talking about the mic I think

But it's still a budget interface and you wouldn't see it in a professional studio

Compositional/mixing feedback on this one?

clyp.it/jltbis4h

Does this sound like any genre at all?

Anyone here with a laptop that has a i5 6300 hq ? Does it run your daw well?

I'll definitely check around ebay first hand. Thanks for the feedback /prod/

I am below i3 and computer easily handles big projects.

For budget workhorse condensers I'd say the AT2020 is great, the MXL 990 is great, the Nady SCM-960 is great. Also the MXL 870 (comes with shockmount unlike the Nady btw) is on sale right now for $70.

But there are other brands worth looking at that makes highly rated mics in the low price category, Behringer, ART, etc.

It sounds like you probably want a large diaphragm and probably want a shockmount, so I would say the MXL 870 or the AT 2020. MXL has a bunch of large diaphragm mics though so it's worth browsing a bit, see what's on sale. The Nady SCM-960 doesn't come with a shockmount but it's switchable for cardioid and omni, which I find wicked useful personally. There's a lot to think about, but right now the best deal in terms of money I see right now is the MXL 870.

i have amd fx 6300 and i handle fine comparisons show your cpu is stronger

exactly what I'm looking for. "workhorse" condensers. I'll check all of these out too. this info's been eye opening t b h . I've been so in the dark as to what i should purchases, up until now

Happy to help bro. You should also make room in the budget for a decent cable if you don't have one and a pop filter, decent stand, etc.

There are a ton of budget options out there, idunno how anyone makes any decisions these days about what their "first mic" should be. ':|

cubase 9 came out today and people who bought on day one are butthurt :^)

happy merchant

i think its not even that great of an update im going to wait for 9.5 if i even do

I don't get it, why are they butthurt?

they had too high expectations of steinberg implementing feature requests they wanted and as usual there are problems with the new version

thats what happens when you blindly give your shekels away

I was told about Superlux, a now US based company that does a pair of small diaphragm condensors for $169 or so. He has $30k+ mics, convertors, pres etc that he works with and he says they're crazy good for the price. Looking at getting a pair myself.

As always check reviews, frequency response and polarity charts and weigh it against what you'll use it for.

Second hand is a good way to go too.

New dingle announced, you need to pay 1€ dingle fee, 4€ holohoax I mean holocaust tax and do an DNA, fingerprint scan with blood sample to check for any illegal drugs before you can open Cubase.
I'm sold desu.

So you bois haven't or what......

>work

thanks manig

pretty good