Can digital ever reach the perfection of vinyl?

Can digital ever reach the perfection of vinyl?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hB89WJn1Qpk
tinnitusjournal.com/articles/response-of-human-skull-to-boneconducted-sound-in-the-audiometricultrasonic-range.pdf
mathsisfun.com/algebra/amplitude-period-frequency-phase-shift.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersonic_effect
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodulation
sowter.co.uk/pdf/ultrasonichearing.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Vinyl is inferior by every practical measure.

Can your mouth ever reach the perfection of my penis?

but the art work is big and looks way cooler. Also collecting physical copies of music is fun and enjoyable, why not make them bigger and why not make the sound quality more customizable

>In the field of digital signal processing, the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem is a fundamental bridge between continuous-time signals (often called "analog signals") and discrete-time signals (often called "digital signals"). It establishes a sufficient condition for a sample rate that permits a discrete sequence of samples to capture all the information from a continuous-time signal of finite bandwidth.
>Strictly speaking, the theorem only applies to a class of mathematical functions having a Fourier transform that is zero outside of a finite region of frequencies. Intuitively we expect that when one reduces a continuous function to a discrete sequence and interpolates back to a continuous function, the fidelity of the result depends on the density (or sample rate) of the original samples. The sampling theorem introduces the concept of a sample rate that is sufficient for perfect fidelity for the class of functions that are bandlimited to a given bandwidth, such that no actual information is lost in the sampling process. It expresses the sufficient sample rate in terms of the bandwidth for the class of functions. The theorem also leads to a formula for perfectly reconstructing the original continuous-time function from the samples.
>Perfect reconstruction may still be possible when the sample-rate criterion is not satisfied, provided other constraints on the signal are known. In some cases (when the sample-rate criterion is not satisfied), utilizing additional constraints allows for approximate reconstructions. The fidelity of these reconstructions can be verified and quantified utilizing Bochner's theorem

Yes.

i will now settle this debate with a single youtube link

youtube.com/watch?v=hB89WJn1Qpk

>"oh no they are making fun of my autistic hobby"
>"I know, I will just derail the thread, that will show them!"

r u pennis

haha that way of saying penis got me real good what a kneeslapper, now my turn

depis

denis

reminder that the Amanda Show BTFO of vinyl

Digital is the perfect medium. But that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy and even prefer vinyl. I wish people would stop comparing the two as though one is 'wrong'.

I remember some artsy friends who made a limited edition 150 kg stainless steel collector album cover for their experimental noise band's cd in the 90's. Good times.

Can someone explain why the electronic club music scene fetishizes vinyl?
Their music is almost exclusively produced digitally.

what was the album? got a link to its discogs entry?
because DJing

vinyl has a wider frequency response than 44.1k digital does

>because DJing

yeah, but from what I understand CDJing is pretty different from DJing with records. also, there's a ton of older releases that have only been released physically that DJs would lose access to if they only DJed digitally.

This

there's 96, 192, 384 and dsd audio

i had no idea

but seriously most people are listening to 44.1k

>being this right
MODDSSS!

You can't hear above 20 kHz.

actually you can if you stimulate the skull directly

It is anatomically impossible for humans to hear frequencies over 20kHz, so sample rates higher than 44.1kHz do absolutely nothing for fidelity in playback.

not only is it possible to hear it:
>The vibrational characteristics of two dry skulls, in com- parison to a live human head, were measured in the 2- to 52-kHz range
tinnitusjournal.com/articles/response-of-human-skull-to-boneconducted-sound-in-the-audiometricultrasonic-range.pdf

but it also affects the phase of lower frequency content, changing the sound subtly

>but it also affects the phase of lower frequency content
elaborate, please

how's your calculus?

has anyone ITT actually listened to a good vinyl setup and doesn't have shitty ears?

mediocre, at best. but I understand most of the basics about digital audio

I listened to a lot of stuff in a mastering room built around good speakers (meg rl901k and atc scm100) with a thorens player and direct A/B possibilities with a grace design DA
in that really transparent chain vinyl as a medium appears almost transparent to me, you can directly spot the differences in most of the masters, but that's about it

lol you dont know what you're talking about

ok well try this
mathsisfun.com/algebra/amplitude-period-frequency-phase-shift.html

well I know what the terms mean, but I don't understand how a higher frequency limit would affect lower frequency phase

it's only a slight effect obviously, and whether it's detectable is up for debate

some 'audiophiles' think it make transients sound different (the sharp attacks on some sounds)
personally i can't hear it, but i think a ton of audiophile lit is basically snake oil anyway

can you still explain the origins please?

origins of what?

that effect

not sure what you're asking

if you want to know about the effect, there's a page here you can read
here is some research

but if you're asking how the effect works from a signal processing POV you should read this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodulation

this is a real effect, as i say we can debate whether it's detectable, but it's there

*second link was supposed to be this
sowter.co.uk/pdf/ultrasonichearing.pdf

I'm talking about the phase relation thing you mentioned, though
I don't care about listening tests, since there are just as many that say the exact opposite
and IMD doesn't cause any phase distortion

you're right, it doesn't, my bad

why do you say that?

No. You can never hold a digital album in your hands and look at the art, get the cool posters and shit that come with the album, and you will never physically handle art with digital.
Digital is good for listening to something for the first time, or on the go. After that, buy it on vinyl or even CD

CD is digital

I am not going off of sound quality