/classical/

Lieder and art song edition.

FAQs:
>How do I into classical?
Browse the folders linked below. It's easier for us to then rec you stuff if you have an idea of what you already like.
>I'm ~20 years old and I want to become a concert soloist. If I practice really hard, will I make it?
Almost certainly not. However you can still become a very accomplished performer with enough practice and if it makes you happy, then go for it.
>Do I need to know music theory to listen to classical music?
No, but it won't harm your listening experience if you do.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

classicartsshowcase.org/watch-classic-arts-showcase/
issuu.com/scoresondemand/docs/death_ivan_ilyich_48317?e=8906278/8911738#search
inside.sou.edu/assets/youth/docs/competitions/Scavenger_Hunts/24.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=b0b03WHkakY
youtube.com/watch?v=IS7gEykFMD8
youtube.com/watch?v=CZtEEYCvJ_w
youtube.com/watch?v=Vs1PNMPamRo
youtube.com/watch?v=OSEHsMgz0TQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Bmt-5alor1c
youtube.com/watch?v=5ck38fSwrQc
youtube.com/watch?v=z21CQGka-tg
youtube.com/watch?v=6cYICGFgiTk
youtube.com/watch?v=5Hpb2gp4mtc
youtube.com/watch?v=B-G272M77N0
youtube.com/watch?v=RLAIJjWdJRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4i83OdsqI&t=4s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

classicartsshowcase.org/watch-classic-arts-showcase/

24/7 stream of ballet, opera, symphonies, and performance art stuff

good shit

Sub-edition:
Added a few FAQs to the pasta.
I may have a go at turning the Debussy chart into an actual chart (as in: what to listen to next) but if someone who knows Debussy better than I do wants to do that, please go ahead.
It might also be worth creating another folder of /classical/ related reading.

>tfw no recording of Tavener's "The Death of Ivan Illyich"
issuu.com/scoresondemand/docs/death_ivan_ilyich_48317?e=8906278/8911738#search

Rossini, yay or nay?

The Rite of Spring is my absolute jam, what would you reccomend (besides other works from Stravinsky)?

never listened to that particular recording but i do enjoy his Operas. L'italiana in Algeri is one of my faves actually. Isn't The Barber of Seville supposed to be funny?

Yeah, I've been listening to more Donizetti/Bellini recently, but I should probably listen to a bit more Rossini. I think I tired myself out on bel canto opera because I spent about 2 years singing far too much of it.
Almost all Rossini operas that get performed are today are comedic in some aspect.
Oedipus Rex is good but not so much like the Rite. If you liked the Rite, you're probably best off checking out his other two ballets from the period: Firebird and Petrushka. You might like Les Noces too.

Hey whatÅ› the name of this song? inside.sou.edu/assets/youth/docs/competitions/Scavenger_Hunts/24.mp3

Thank you my dude

Hi guys, what is some LIT AF classical music? Asking for a friend...

favorite schubert song everyone?

mine at the moment is an sylvia (preferably by soprano actually).

I Look for more sonatas like this one from Messiaen youtube.com/watch?v=b0b03WHkakY - soft, simple and very beautiful

Handel.

youtube.com/watch?v=IS7gEykFMD8

Too many to choose just one.Of the "famous" ones, probably Der hirt auf dem felsen, Erlkonig, Im fruhling, Auf der bruck. And that's saying nothing of the full cycles (although the concluding pieces of Winterreise and Schwanengesang particularly stand out)

>Der Kreuzzug
>Du liebst mich nicht
>Die Allmacht
>Lied des gefangenen jagers
>Drei gesange D.902

>24

based

And the second-last last in Schwanengesang is incredible too. I really need to work on my German so I can fully commit to singing Schubert.

Right, I've not watched Parsifal in a long time. Going to buy a bottle of wine and settle in for the evening.

Got my wine and am now being reminded that the introduction to Parsifal includes some of the best music Wagner wrote.

ded
ded
ded
requiem for /classical/

>tfw Chopin wrote only 2 Piano Concertos

ffs

>tfw Puccini composed all those masterpieces

Who here is /failedcomposer/?

>Puccini
>masterpieces
Pick one.

can you recommend me something similar to this, I am not really into classical music

youtube.com/watch?v=CZtEEYCvJ_w

If only he had survived to finish Turandot so we weren't saddled with that shitty completion featuring the Nessun Dorma theme as a chorus. I mean there's a lot wrong with the completion besides that, but fuck it's just awful.

Just because he's popular doesn't mean you have to shit on him. He dominates the verismo style like no other composer really manages (even if I have a soft spot for Chenier)

wagner

wertyuiop

Name 1 (ONE) recording with an Asian player that's actually good

aki takahashi is a really gifted pianist, i mean, if you're into that sort of thing

Could someone rec me a good starting point for Chopin? I dled that Pollini compilation with etudes, preludes and polonaises, but it just doesn't work for me.

>Lieder and art song edition.
nice. what are your favorite vocal albums, /classical/?

Wunderlich's last concert
That Hotter Testament lieder recital with Moore (although Moore isn't as crisp in the - admittedly challenging - final section of Odins Meeresritt as I'd like). There's also that really nice Schwanengesang on EMI with Hotter/Moore
Britten canticles+folksong arrangements sung by Bostridge, Daniels and Maltman (mostly for Maltman who does that stuff so well)
Terfel's The Vagabond (mostly for his rendition of The Lads in their Hundreds which he delivers at a whisper.) Whilst he doesn't have the same sort of easy baritone-tone that you've got in Roderick Williams or Maltman, it's still very effective
There's also a nice recording I've got of Schumann's op. 138 Spanische Liebeslider, but the lineup isn't particularly glitzy.

I've realised that I don't really listen to many female interpretations of lieder. I know the names and have listened to them previously, but they don't seem to have made their way into my library.

Tangentially, I don't particularly understand the hype for Chaliaplin. All the recordings I've heard of him have him singing with a "horizontal" wobble (difficult to explain, but it's the "bad" sort of vibrato in my books) and it just sounds awful. I wonder if it's the fault of the recording technology.

winter > autumn > summer > spring

In life? Or are you making a statement about Vivaldi?

Summer>spring=winter>autumn
Pleb

Beethoven's String Quartets by Tokyo String Quartet.

Checkmate

We need to create a registry for Mozart posters. They need to be marked and quarantined.

>tfw cause of Clara Schumann now all concertist pianists are required to play without a score

I hope she is burning in hell.

this is the worst general on Sup Forums

worst post in the best general on Sup Forums

Who's more important, a composer or an arranger?

Did you think about this question at all before typing it out?

The composer, since the arranger's job is not to spoil the original idea while still proposing it in a original way.

Chopin's Piano Concerto n. 2 is the best piano concerto ever written. Debate me.

Chopin's orchestration is almost as awful as Schumann's.

There are literally dozens of better concerti

so I'm going to my first classical live performance in march

dumb to ask, but is there an informal dress code of some kind? it almost feels like a suit would be appropriate, but probably that's autistic of me

There's basically no dress code for classical concerts (anymore) so go in whatever you feel like. Smart casual is advisable, but it's not obligatory.

Slacks and a nice casual button up shirt usually works

a fedora is necessary

thanks

Didn't Richter use scores? I assumed it's just because people practice so much.

No, it's just a showing off thing. Clara Schumann started it and since then people have to do it to avoid looking like an amateur.

vincent defronio

dont bully Schumann

youtube.com/watch?v=Vs1PNMPamRo

Is it worth it, /classical/, to run away with her? To forsake everything that I have and am? To climb a mountain path of certain death in order to satisfy my incessant ennui?

Autumn > Winter > Summer > Spring

t. patrish

/classical/ do you ever listen to percussion ensembles?

only the good ones

I listened to something by Reich once and regretted it. Stockhausen is entertaining.

Are there virtuoso percussionists in the classical world really? They have to learn a large variety of instruments but they're all easy except for triangle.

>they're all easy

I can't tell if you're joking or not

Just listened to this today, it was actually fantastic, one of the better recordings of her music I've heard

You guys like Nexus? I really like Bob Becker in general

youtube.com/watch?v=OSEHsMgz0TQ

yo calc i got a question for u

they are though. percussion sounds like shit, you don't have to practice to make it sound beautiful like you do with a violin because it never will.

The impression I get is they spend an inordinate amount of time learning to make it sound beautiful because all they're doing is banging one instrument with a stick during the sparse opportunities composers give them.

>percussion sounds like shit

I will begrudge you the xylophone but percussion instruments have the chance to be extremely expressive

youtube.com/watch?v=Bmt-5alor1c

youtube.com/watch?v=5ck38fSwrQc

youtube.com/watch?v=z21CQGka-tg

youtube.com/watch?v=6cYICGFgiTk

Pic related famlam.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Hpb2gp4mtc
youtube.com/watch?v=B-G272M77N0

hi
rec me something like this
thank u

shoot me
if you're still awake

youtube.com/watch?v=RLAIJjWdJRQ

Just literally any muzak

Have you never heard of Evelyn Glennie? She's probably the most famous percussion virtuoso (or should that be virtuosa?). She's also deaf.

I can't say I listen to much in the way of heavily percussion based works, but Macmillan's Veni, Veni Emmanuel percussion concerto is very good.

Yeah, the barefoot Irish woman. Now that you mention it, is there any other instrument you can become so good at as a deaf person?

Mahler Symphonies No 5 + 6. Shostakovich symphonies

She's Scottish

But I'm not sure there are really any others on the circuit today who went deaf as a child and continued to become leading figures.
I mean there were a number of famous composers that went deaf, but that was generally towards the end of their life (Smetana, Faure, Boyce) with Beethoven being the only one who started the process a bit earlier

I'm listening to Palestrina's Missa Ecce sacerdos magnus and it seems like he has included one line of the original motet complete with text throughout the mass. I've never encountered this before, can anyone (potentially renaissance-user) explain this?

gute nacht is a great intro to winterreise

Can somebody play my autism please?
I fucked up the key signature and pretty sure I fucked up the time signature too, and because of that sibelius skips some notes.

What do you mean the original motet?

bump hjonestly desu senpai

Why is he so underrated?

I've done a bit of looking and it looks like what Palestrina has done is a bit old-fashioned, using both the text and the melody of Ecce sacerdos magnus in the cantus firmus. From what I can see upon doing some reading, this is what the Notre-Dame school did, but it's really surprising to see Palestrina doing it since he's a few hundred years later.

Add this to the fact that I've never seen this before (and whilst I'm not an expert on renaissance music, I have listened to/read a fair bit about it) and it's a bit bemusing.

You can listen here, it's the first mass in the video
youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4i83OdsqI&t=4s

I really think he's underrated. His operas got so popular and well known that the classical hipster world rejected him, but dammit his operas really are pretty great.

Violinist here.

You're a complete fucktard.

This looks like an explanation

>Yet there was one point in which Palestrina differed from the council's
ideal: the problem of how to treat the text. According to the Netherlands
school, the musical composition is primary. In the "Missa Ecce sacerdos"
this is pushed to the point that the cantus firmus sings the text "Ecce
sacerdos magnus," while the other three voices sing the text of the Mass,
that is, two different texts are sung at once. Obviously, that does not
help to understand the sung text. Here Palestrina was complying with a
tradition that had been discredited in the minds of the humanists. They
wanted no contrapuntal writing for their odes when set to music, and all
the voices had to sing the same single text. For them, even religious texts
simultaneously accompanying the Mass texts caused all the division and
confusion that the early 16th century was accused of. His Roman
surroundings made Palestrina aware of these shortcomings, and in his
subsequent compositions he avoids such methods of mixing texts.

So it's just Palestrina being a bit youthful and exuberant. Or something like that anyway

>who's more important, the chef or the line cook?

The objective, correct ranking is

Summer > Winter > Autumn > Yanni: Live at the Acropolis > Spring

What's more important, the conductor or the orchestra+soloists?

The best conductors can make a B-rate orchestra sound A-rate. So I would say conductor. Soloists usually have more input into the interpretation than the conductor will in concerti, but it's still up to the conductor to make the accompaniment go smoothly, and, depending on how strong their personality is, it's possible they will have a variant amount of input into the interpretation.

conductors are important for how the rest of orchestra sounds thought out the performance. a bad conductor could most certainly ruin an orchestra

is there a version of the rite of spring that deletes all the boring parts? (the second movement and 70% of the first one)

Nope.

bumping because important

>implying that any general on Sup Forums is worth preserving

Work on it some more bro I'm sure it'll sound good with some polish

Have you ever heard Kuniko Kato's recording of pleiades?

All waifu stuff aside i thought it was p good

Well, thank you very much for those mega-links. It really helped me.