Is there a more widely hated album than this? There are lots of albums with shitty ratings below 2.0 on RYM...

Is there a more widely hated album than this? There are lots of albums with shitty ratings below 2.0 on RYM, but none other have over 8,000 ratings

this one

[spoiler]I like it[/spoiler]

What about this one?

I admire those who like Lulu.
I can't, it's too bad for my ears.

at least it had like, 2 good songs

There's no reason to hate it that much in 2016. Back when it came out it was sad and insulting how out of touch Metallica had become, but the music itself isn't horrible.

I admire those who pretend to like Lulu
I can't, I have too much self respect

This album is like an unprivileged autistic child. Truly brilliant, yet so different from its fellow children, to the extent where very few understand its brilliance, or even sense any speck of wit beneath the difficult-to-penetrate surface of unlikeness.

Lulu is a genuinely good album. At least it's more interesting than their paint-by-numbers metal they've been peddling on the last couple albums.

>"MY LIFE STYLE DETERMINES MY DEATH STYLE"
>"I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU"

Such an underrated gem

Literally came into the thread to post this

I guess another hot contenderis Bob Dylan's born-again christian trilogy

Risk is an underappreciated classic, was only shat on because it wasn't thrash

it's pretty shit desu. and I say that as a metallica fan, and not one of those "everything post AJFA sucks" "fans". it's pretty much awful though unnamed feeling is a good song and sweet amber is ok too. there are some ok ideas here and there such as the riff in some kind of monster, but the awful sound and production and drawn out songs kills it.

inb4 someone replies to this comment with "everything post AJFA sucks"

everything post black album sucks

Load & Reload were okay (at best)

I don't understand the hate for the drum sound and production.
Why metal fans want production to sound the same in every album is odd to me.
I like how raw and visceral the sound of the album is.
But the songwriting is absolute garbage and every song is twice as long as it should be.

The production sounds bad to the point where it harms the music itself, on top of the garbage can drums and cringy lyrics

Can someone make an Arthur fist edit to look like st anger with the context "when you dont get no respect"?

> INVISIBLE KID NEVER SEE WHAT HE DID

No but I'll do this

>Why metal fans want production to sound the same in every album is odd to me.

Nice assumption you retard. The production in metal is incredibly diverse and one of the things that makes the genre continuously exciting for me. People don't like St. Anger because it sounds bad. The drum sound *could work* with an actual competent drummer, but it becomes incredibly irritating with Lars' limited ability and monotonous style of drumming.

You know, the thing about tihis album is: If you like Wedekind's Lulu-duology, then Reed's lyrics may strike you as some rather interesting ruminations about various aspects of this work. I'm not trying to sound pretentious here, but you can feel Reed's love for this piece of literature and I respect that.
Also, Metallica's backing tracks were among the best stuff they'd done in years! Even Lars Ulrich appeared to come out of his comfort zone every now and then.
The only real problem is that the mixture is just... odd and the album as a whole can hardly more than an acquired taste. A novelty album.

And if you're unlucky, before long, you have an endless loop of James Hetfield yelling "I am the table!" stuck in your head...

The production makes it sound like it was recorded in a sewer

There are more people that hate St. Anger and Lulu than there are people who even care enough about Megadeth to hate Risk.

I love St. Anger

No I'm not joking

Pleb cunts like you just don't get it

I can cherrypick bad lines from early Metallica too

FUCK IT ALL AND NO REGRETS I HIT THE LIGHTS ON THESE DARK SETS

if st anger had been recorded by some scrawny unwound-like band and done in a more lo-fi way this board would be all over its dick

>The production in metal is incredibly diverse and one of the things that makes the genre continuously exciting for me.

The fuck?
You've got radio metal production, Black metal production, and that muddy sounding death-black production.
Not much else.