What is, in your opinion, the best western ever made?

What is, in your opinion, the best western ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wsnPpt4r7mk
youtu.be/4w4p4GkvrJ8?t=25
youtube.com/watch?v=ubVc2MQwMkg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Once Upon A Time In The West

Raiders of the Lost Ark

An American tale : fieval goes west

These are both great and definitely better than High Noon, but I gotta say that it's my all time favorite.

Does anyone else remember the brilliant bait thread someone made with this a few months ago?

They baited the Sup Forumstards into defending the movie's racism and then after like 50 or so comments, someone explained that the movie was an outright condemnation of racism?

Man, that was a fun night.

Red Dead Revolver

The true grit remake

is this worth a watch? I keep hearing it's good.

Absolutely yes. Charles Bronson is fantastic too. Watch it in the company of men for added benefit.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I'm gonna order the blu ray now. I'm excited.

Good man. Just remember Claudia's already my waifu.

All the main characters are pretty well done. Henry Fonda played a great villain

The great thing about the Searchers is that it isn't obvious in it's message. The protagonist is a racist, the Indians are show doing heinous things, and the end is a rousing military raid on those awful injuns. But it very quietly shows you other Indians living in squalor and fragmented tribes from American attacks, the girl seems to be living well with the Indians, and if you step out of the moment the soldiers raiding the tribe are way over the top and unprovoked. And of course the complete emptiness that Ethan feels after letting this racial hatred define the last ten years of his life. The only way to see it as racist is if you're not paying attention

>reddit blog post the post

Yes, its fantastic. Made me want to buy a goddamn harmonica.

>talking about movies is reddit

Butch Cassidy, and his lifelong companion and best friend, the Sundance Kid

This is actually very decent, I think the name and trailer make people assume it's more comical but it is a straight up revisionist western.

Johnny Guitar

>You a bounty hunter?
>A man's got to do something for a living these days.
>Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Is this a talkie or a late silent?

This movie was the first western I saw a few months ago, and got me into the genre.

Rio Bravo for me. Comfiest western ever.

John Wayne is a massive beta phaggot who spent more time pretending to fight in wars than actually bothering to go to one.

MUH BURGERS

I'm a distant relative to her so it's fine. Ashley Benson is my waifu

Go watch High Noon, commie faggot.

It's pretty good, actually.

it's the perfect western

I'm glad I bought it.

The Searchers and Rio Bravo are the best.

racism against the comanches was completely justified. even other injuns hated them

the movie may have intended to be a nuanced criticism of racism, but it ends up a little too nuanced and doesn't offer any strong conclusion either way. ethan's quest leaves him hollow and unfulfilled, but abandoning that quest and the hatred driving it would also have left him hollow and unfulfilled. the last scene in the movie drives home the point that he is dinosaur whose world has died and left him a living fossil, and neither rejecting nor embracing racism is going to change that for him

Must have been, but not as much as you joyfully rewriting history and believing your own delusion of epic wins against le evil Sup Forumstards.

If this was shot exactly how it was 40 years ago, with the same cast and everything, it would be hailed as one of the best westerns. But since it's modern, and technically a remake, people forget about it.

What you said doesn't make any real sense, but I agree the remake is pretty good, almost equal to the original.

I genuinely believe westerns are the best genre ever. Debate me, faggots.

Red River run or w.e tat was called with the cows and shit

Can't believe it's only been mentioned once. Once Upon a Time in the West is close 2nd.

The Great Silence

It is the antithesis of Sergio Leone's films and a gigantic fuck you to Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name. Also one of the most bleak and crushing films you can watch

I also recommend Four of the Apocalypse

I like this movie a lot too, but the dynamite part on the horse is absurd senpai

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Big Country
For A Few Dollars More

My top three in no particular order.

my top 5 is

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
El Dorado
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Once Upon A Time in The West
Stagecoach

Plenty of other brilliant ones.

Obviously BTT3

That wasn't even the best western to come out that year

The last 30 minutes or so of that remake is utter shit. The entire premise is unbelievable bullshit (a strange outlaw band coming into a railroad town and turning the townsfolk on the law was pretentious bullshit from a typical ignorant, cynical modern view), and the weak motive turnaround of the film's antagonist to give the underdog protagonist support at the end was garbage. Fuck the final act of that movie.

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Unforgiven
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Searchers

I can't decide which of those is my favorite, though there are countless more that are excellent.

> spaghetti westerns

that said my favorite is pic related. so much fun, so tightly plotted and expertly executed.

The other Hawks and Ford stuff are good, but there's a certain magic here.

Big black dangus notwithstanding, I thought Hateful Eight was decent enough for a mention

How can I argue with something true?

Obviously Shanghai Noon...

Many others come close but I always return to this one

Good choice.

Tourneur made some great westerns.

I'm wid you

I gotta say Back to the Future 3 and Shanghai Noon.

I always love The Wild Bunch

nah man Ridiculous Six was the shit.

Look on the archive faggot.

I watched Unforgiven for the first time today

I have to say, I liked it,but the plot meandered like a bitch. Also. The characterizations were weird. Was the point of it that a monster is a monster regardless of how he thinks he's changed (ie Will Munney)?

Ameritard...

Cowboy Bebop is the only correct answer.

this

Hateful 8!

Cowboys and Aliens (2011)

The Wild West dying was a good thing but messy was my take away.

la casa de mi padre (2012)

Ghost Rider

/thread

Seriously WTF Sup Forums?

There's something incredibly comfy about the old Westerns. I don't have the knowledge to put it into words but it feels like they have a different style to them. I suppose it might just be that modern Westerns tend to have modern mannerisms which I recognise, whereas the older ones use mannerisms from before my time, so I don't notice and it doesn't take me out of the movie.

You answered your own question? Besides the baiters, we- Sup Forums- are the facebook crowd nowadays

El Topo

Rio Bravo with john wayne, dean martin & walter brennan

youtube.com/watch?v=wsnPpt4r7mk

He said best Western, not best Eastern.

I agree that the pacing could really have been tightened up. It's so languidly paced until Eastwood gets angry, then suddenly we're in a violent revenge movie. It should have slowly worked up to that with some more tension throughout

Your post doesn't make any sense. The reason it's forgotten is that it mostly just cribs ideas from better movies and filters them through a shitty mid-2000s sensibility. If you take that Leone/Eastwood style it borrows heavily from and throw it at the same time they were coming up, obviously it would be better received.

The Proposition.

Dead Man is the only good western ever made.

An American Tale 2

Go to sleep, Marcelo

It's a tie between Unforgiven and Lonesome Dove.

I really like this movie, but how did they let that shit pass? You can clearly see that the fucker is breathing.

youtu.be/4w4p4GkvrJ8?t=25

The one you posted.

>outright condemnation of racism
Except it isn't. It's more subtle than the propaganda Westerns which are produced nowadays. It's not a racist film nor an anti-racist film, it is merely a film which attempts to portray racism realistically.

Remember that half of Sup Forums his here as well.

Shooting on film meant they wouldn't have seen the shots until a day later when production had moved and extras gone home

I don't see how the ending can point anywhere but "anti-racist".

Underrated. It's better than the original although I doubt anyone else would admit that, about it or anything else.

I'd agree, the first one is hokey as hell. A saturday morning western compared to the A-list remake

>I don't see how the ending can point anywhere but "anti-racist".
When you consider it in the context of the rest of the film it does.

That's because you have a simple mind

The good the bad the ugly.

The characters are just amazing. It's the pinnacle of spaghetti.

Run it by me then.

From where I see it his hatred of Comanche for what they did, wanting retribution, that's justified. His anger at anything Comanche though, like vowing to kill his niece for being with them or desecrating the Indian corpse, those things clearly do hold less value to Ethan than his love for his niece, considering he doesn't actually kill her.

that one

High Plains Drifter is great

youtube.com/watch?v=ubVc2MQwMkg

there's only one answer

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West was way too long and boring. Also painfully edgy in some parts like when they set up the scene where it appears Charles Bronson is going to rape the woman. Such a cringey scene

GBU is a literal perfect movie

Not saying much. I watched TGTBATU when I was young and became obsessed with it and aggressively sought out other spaghetti westerns trying to capture that feeling I got when I saw TGTBATU

After almost 15 years now of this I feel I can safely say that most of the genere is unoriginal, amateurish garbage. Leone was honestly a genius and it had an artistic vision in mind for everyone of his projects. Most spaghetti westerns are shameless retellings of Leone's movies or 7 Samurai. Leone is the exception not the rule.

Italians did this all through the 60s and 70s and all the way to the 80s. One film becomes successful internationally and copy it until nobody goes to theaters to see it anymore. Explains the innumerable Leone knock offs, Hercules movies, Cannibal movies and Zombie movies

None has mentioned Shane. Sup Forums is full of cucks

I prefer the superior version

I did not particularly like The Searchers. What is so special about it?

Personally I really liked The man who shot liberty valance.