Am i out of shape? i can do 38 pushups...

am i out of shape? i can do 38 pushups, 50 situps and i ran 2 miles but it was 1:30 of running and 2:00 of walking for a total of 18:30 for my time to run 2 miles. I always getboutbof breath after doing the most push ups or sit ups i can do and running makes me sweat a ton. am i fit enough to enlist in the army? is bootcamp really stressful/hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiu.edu/coehs/military_science/physical_training/APFT Standards.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sicc bait bro

You're fucked OP.
Cut run time by 5 minutes
At least double push ups
Add 20-30 sit ups

Of course Army Basic is hard, don't be a fuck and show up unprepared.

I getboutbof ERRYDAH BRO!

Lmao army basic is hard.
Sicc bait bro

Are you from staten island, OP?

No, Riker's Island

When I enlisted bootcamp wasn't that terrible. It's the running and long ass road march with full ruck sack that sucked the worst because of my short legs.

is it common to cry in bootcamp? is it THAT stressful?

You need if age 18-21:
42 push ups in 2 minutes
47 sit ups in 2 minutes
a 15:54 2 mile
That's just barely to pass. So you better get to, user. You can scratch by with the DEP pt test, but once your in, you need to work your shit off the entire 2 months of basic training or you're going to have a miserable life in the Army.

Basic is not hard.
Only the women have cried, there have been some men who couldn't sleep and one of those guys who had trouble sleeping had a minor psychotic break. He was put in medical, given 2 days of sleep and red phased restarted, don't know what happened to him afterwards. Getting enough sleep is honestly the hardest part of basic and you usually get into the rhythm your second week in.

am i in okay shape (im op) im working at it and when i started could only do 12 pushups. my biggest concern was basic since people make it out to be hell

You'll make through as long as you don't quit.

It's definitely not hell unless you make it hell. I went in barely able to pass a pt test, I got out maxing it. Just do your PT, and do your thing. Don't be in the cross-hairs of your Drill sgt's and don't fuck up. Basic can be pretty fun, I had fun with the shooting and fields we had. Rucking sucks, so get used to that. Just don't be a fuck up and don't be that guy and you'll be just fine.

how awful is being screamed at the first few weeks? ive watched videos and saw people eating in the mess hall and gettibg chewed out for nothing really. does it happen a lot?

not as bad as me op

>2 mile is 26-32 minutes depending on route
yea I'm a fatfuck :( need to lose weight badly but isn't going well

Yes, you'll be screamed at for anything and everything. Don't take it serious, they do it just because they can. Don't laugh a lot or you'll draw some attention and you'll probably have 2 or 3 drill sgts in your face. We had a fat guy in basic, he lost his xxl shirt and because he's the only one that wears it, he had to borrow a large from someone else, he looked like a wrapped ham. Literally got bitched out and made fun of for 20 minutes, then had drill sgts from other companies reeming on him too because he was so fat. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.

This helped.

>am i fit enough to enlist in the army?

yes dumbass, fit enough to ENLIST. When I joined, at reception, they tested to see if you could do even 10 pushups. If you did, you were clear to go into Basic. If you couldn't, they would send you to some holding platoon for several weeks of PT and remedial shit until you were able to start Basic. You'll be surprised to learn that you aren't physically tested before shipping out. At least for the Army, and if you are not in some kind of special program (the SEAL challenge contract, for example, requires recruits to meet PT targets before they ship for Navy bootcamp).

If I were advising a young person enlisting, I'd tell you this: concentrate on perfect form and whatever you can do- 10, 20 pushups, 20, 30 situps-- just do that every night, for one month. Then, every 2 weeks, add just 10 more. Even if you can't do them all at one time, take a short break and do them. Think about it. That's 20 more each month than you were doing before.

So if month 1 you do 30 a night, then in month 2 you're at 40, then 50 by the end of the month. Three or four months in, you are doing close to 100 pushups a day in your workout. Do similar shit with situps. You can take days off, as long as you are exercising 3 or 4 nights a week.

Same shit with running. You can get some running training schedules off the internet by googling. Start with running about a mile. Increase it a little. But the important thing is the running training- speed up, slow down. Do that 3 times a week for a few months and you'll be perfectly fine.

Consistency is the key in exercise. Even people who are not natural athletes can have huge gains, relative to where they started from, over several months, as long as they go about it systematically.

Nigga can't even spell it

yeah you will be fine
also its basic training, not boot camp
and basic training is the easy part of the army

most ppl dont last their contract cause they are pussies. basic is easy because mentality is completely different when youre in that situation

dont join unless you are actually willing to give up 4 or more years of ur life, i served my contract and am living a great easy life on the GI bill

in his defense, how many actual inmates, or for that matter guards, can spell it right

Ayyy GI bill here too.. Dude I miss the army. I'm in college, doing great, but I just miss being in the military and thinking about doing it again. Tell me no

It was pretty damn common, even I had a few tears. It's not hard physically, but mentally it can be pretty shit. You don't cry because your sad, usually it's because you have no idea what you're doing, you're fucking up, you have 2 people yelling at you and you have a fly in your ear. If you had a breakdown where you were crying, and too out of it to continue, you'd usually get pulled into a ro where someone talked to you like an actual human. That's what they want though, you to be completely done, and then to get over that. Usually after that point everything gets much easier.

>Don't take it serious, they do it just because they can

Well, that and they're trying to break you/push you/get a feel for you. I'm a manager my work and I treat new guys similarly just to see what makes them tick/see how they act under pressure. When it's really busy I don't want some fuck who can't handle a bit of pressure. Besides, basic is fine. He's not going through hell week for seal training, faggit.

also, SAVE YOUR FUCKING MONEY. everyone i knew left the army in debt, i left with $30k and a brand new vehicle. single soldiers get free food, EAT AT THE DFAC. and free housing, LIVE AT THE BARRACKS
its a shitty life but the rest of ur life is easy if u do the military right

>I'm in college, doing great, but I just miss being in the military and thinking about doing it again. Tell me no

um, NO. My brother re-joined and regretted. First thing that happened was being fucked with for weeks while being in processed. Bunch of minders taunted them the entire time- "what's wrong, you couldn't handle the real world?" and shit like that. Then, the stuff you conveniently forgot that led you to leave in the first place, slowly creeps back.

And, the odds of you replicating or improving on your best past experience, are low, simply because that's how life works.

Good luck whatever you have to do. But think man. Right now you are around free pussy, young kids who like to drink, and no stupid old fuck yelling at you for doing what some other old fuck got through telling you to do 10 minutes before. Your life is better now

i was a tank mechanic. i worked so fucking hard every day for years in the worst conditions imaginable. so i dont miss it at all and will never go back. it depends on ur job i guess. glad i did it, will never return

Only the first week they try that, after that they get real with you and yell at you when you do something stupid or ridiculous. Mostly when you're talking to them and say something off. the most I saw was somebody getting corrected and the recruit go "sorry drill sgt" that's when shit hits the fan and get everybody drill sgt around who heard it in your face going "SORRY SGT? YOU CALLING ME A FUCKING SORRY SGT?!" "YOU CALLING MY BATTLE A SORRY SGT?" funny, but jesus they hate that

haha, I'll add, don't get married. So many kids were 18 or 19 and married. We'd come back from 2 weeks in the field and the girl had moved out, not paid the rent, and cleaned out his bank account. He had no money and it took 45 days to set up a new account and fix his direct deposit. That happened 2 or 3 times in my 4 years in. A number of marriages crumbled after a yearlong deployment, but that was mostly the older guys . . . I felt sorry for the middle aged ones. We all laughed at the kids dumb enough to get married. Even the other kids.

DON'T GET MARRIED

agreed 100%
also most people who get married and have kids are stuck in the military for life lol

>And, the odds of you replicating or improving on your best past experience, are low, simply because that's how life works.

Haha, fucking pussy I did 4 tours. 3 in Afghanistan, 1 in Iraq. Die.

i dont think u understood what he said.

Eh, I can live through banter, I have a small penis so afghanistan was fun.. I could try another branch though, I've thought about the Navy at one point. New assignment, new job, probably the same pay.

Do you know how often that happens here? I'm from Canada.

>Haha, fucking pussy I did 4 tours. 3 in Afghanistan, 1 in Iraq. Die.

well I don't discount your bravery or experience. I'm just telling the dude that it's like going back to an old GF. Yeah she was hot at times, but you left that shit for a reason, and when you rekindle, you'll soon remember why.

Except that a hookup with an ex does not come with a 6 year commitment.

sorry if I disturbed you though, Mr. Military Badass Multiple Tours.

What? the sorry sgt part?

>sorry if I disturbed you though, Mr. Military Badass Multiple Tours
>sorry

Really?

Yes, you dumb fuck, cause Canadians say sorry every 2 seconds. Sorry bout that, lost my cool.

Shit, I thought Canadian sorry was just a meme. Don't get so uppity, nigger.

Nah it's a real thing. Same with the "eh".

a word about this "they try to break you down then rebuild you"- that's a cliche but a misunderstanding, I think. They aren't shrinks. They fuck with you hard the first 2 or 3 weeks until you get the concept that they're watching everything you do. Then, they treat you a little better- not much- because you're starting to get it. They are still assholes though.

The only thing where pyschology really comes into play is towards the end, tbh. In my day it was after all the major field work was done, and you've got about 3 or maybe 4 weeks left. It's obvious to everyone that you are mainly coasting from then on, from the point of view of major efforts. The kids will slack off naturally. So you'll be surprised to find the drill sgts are going to be much more in your face. You'll be like, "wtf, I just slept in the cold for 2 weeks, these faggots are yelling about me about my parade-rest form now that my entire duties consist of going to chow and cleaning weapons?"

But that's what they have to do, to keep discipline from breaking down, once the major work is over.

BTW I have noticed that same vibe happen in every military school I've attended, at least of any length. You learn to set your mind to tighten up a little in the last few weeks.

how many pushups and situps should i get to if i wanna join? what about my time for the 2 mile? not op im just interested

Do more than this and you're gold. You want to max your PT scores every time you have a record PT test, if you want access to some good assignments in the army, max your pt test every time.

Also here's the scores for PT
wiu.edu/coehs/military_science/physical_training/APFT Standards.htm
Should help you with what to look for.

there's not really an entrance requirement, it's more a comfort thing. PT and daily work will be much harder if you're weak. I would say you should shoot to do the following:
30 pushups
40 situps
Run: 15 mins or so

let me say another thing for those wanting to join: PT scores are a HUGE thing in the military. The guys who are in the 90th percentile of PT, get treated the best in every unit. It really is a hierarchy of health and strength in the military. You may be a douche, and they may fuck with you a little, but if you max a PT test, they'll treat you different after that. The PT monsters do well.

So I'd get in shape prior to shipping out, just for that shit.

Just curious. From the first time you step into the army recruiter office, how long does it usually take to get shipped off to basic? I'm going to see a recruiter tomorrow and I want to go as soon as possible. I don't want to wait months.

Airborne infantry fag currently stationed in Alaska, please tell me WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN and ill try my best to convince you not to.

why, you homeless or something? Depends on whether you have an ASVAB score already, what specialty you want, how long ago you went to HS / college, whether your records are easy to get, etc. You'll probably have to go to MEPS once for testing, and a second time when you are shipping out. Hard to see it taking less than a couple months, especially when the military has its pick of people and is getting smaller.

This is random but a drill sergeant once told me that the best basic training classes were in the fall- those were kids who enjoyed their summer before shipping out. In the winter, he said you had a lot of bums who just wanted money and to be out of the cold, and in the summer it was clueless kids a week out of HS along with guys who couldn't get a job anywhere so they tried the army. Maybe bullshit but that's what he told me.

Anywhere from 1 month to a year, you'll most likely get posted in Delayed entrance program (you mostly hang out with your recruiter doing pt and other activities) depends entirely on the openings in basic training and the openings at AIT for your MOS.

security violation to take / post pics from tarmac asshole . . . currently extracting EXIF data to ruin your life

to do something with my life and maybe see the world... also to prove to myself that im not a pussy bitch because being screamed at all the times sounds like hell

No reason other than I just want to join. I here about dudes who have to wait like 9-12 months for their ship date.

1:30 + 2:30 doesn't equal 18:30
You're going to die while operating a slushy machine you stupid fuck.

All depends on how many cops you can shoot in 15 seconds

the government is literally just waiting

>also to prove to myself that im not a pussy bitch because being screamed at all the times sounds like hell

I'm not the airborne guy but "being screamed at" is not hell, it's almost comical. What's hard to take is not that, it's the smartass and cynical comments from them, that demand a "fuck you" response but you can't say that to them- and they know that, which is why they smart off constantly. I'd say the real "not a pussy bitch" is the guy who tells a DS to go fuck his mother in front of the whole company, but you'll soon find that there are no dudes like that.

By joining up and going through Basic, you are NOT, in fact, proving a goddamn thing, either to yourself or anyone else. You are simply completing a course that millions of people of below average intelligence and life prospects and ambition have done before you. It is not an accomplishment to brag about.

So, your stated reasons for joining are bullshit. You'll soon find out it's a job, that is frequently a stupid job, that calls you to do stupid shit for stupid people.

You want to prove you're not a pussy? Well go talk to a hot girl that you're afraid to talk to. That will give you a more useful life skill.

Any other reasons you have?

What about navy basic? Any big differences from Army?

i like your reasoning. thank you.

I have family in my father side that has been involved in the military since the revolutionary war. I don't want to end that tradition. I also want to to be able to tell my grandchildren about the great race war.

Life feels kinda empty, I want to go to exotic shitholes and kill all the interesting people. And pussy. Attractive vets from a respected branch can get mad pussy