Rugby League vs. Rugby Union

What's the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union?
Which one's better and why?
Where does Rugby 7s play in on this?
Why is this semen-slurping sport so convoluted?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Rugby_League
skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/10256500/toronto-given-go-ahead-to-enter-club-in-english-rugby-league
dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-moves-to-kick-out-bush-drug-scourge/news-story/9f6a1fed227bec47e38e6f524b826609
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Union is for middle-class / well off people. League is for plebs.

Union is better unless you're a dole-scrounging coalminer. Or an Aussie.

League and union are different sports

Sevens is rugby union but with 7 players instead 15 and shorter in length

Rugby League split away because poorer people wanted to be payed to compensate for injuries which could make them miss work. Rugby League is only really popular in parts of Australia and Northern England, Rugby Union is popular everywhere else.

Rugby League is basically like a game of bulldog, all the set plays were removed to make the game more fast flowing and spectator friendly, but a lot of people feel it is just a dumbed down verison and the set pieces in Union is what makes the game great, also in League there is a 'downs' rule similar to American Football.

Rugby sevens is just rugby union but with 7 players, it's not really serious but it's a lot of fun and high scoring.

It's complicated so working class scum don't get into it.

How do they differ in rules?
If they're different sports why are they both called rugby?
You're making me like League more 2bh

>bourgeois scum

So Rugby Union clubs don't pay their players?
What kind of commie shit is that?

League is better unless you want to act like a self entitled prick like this guy apparently

rugby union has no downs. its boring as fuck because of it because a team could just hold the ball for the entire game theoretically advancing only 1 inch every tackle. League has a down system like american football and is much more entertaining to watch.

This lad gets it, league is faster and has much better pacing

rugby union players usually come from rich as fuck parents.

>How do they differ in rules?

I'd just be throwing at you you don't understand.

League is designed to be more entertaining, union's for people who like to pretend they're middle class for 80 minutes

Union players are paid now, but it wasn't the case for ages.

Rugby Union has so much strategy and tactics with all the set pieces which makes it 100x better than Thugby League.

t. Southern Fairies.
having played both union and league, I can attest that league is far better. game is faster paced, rewards skilled faster passing and ball movement, and requires far greater levels of physical fitness. children's league teams make more tackles than professional union teams do, and run more yards in a match generally. union is only good if you like to wank over 'muh middle class history' 'muh pure code' etc, it's the same shit FIFA pulls to try and get out of video referees

yes. with league you can't hold the ball ad infinitum like in union. you have a certain amount of times you get tackled before you have to turnover the ball.

Lol these fucking plebs

Enjoy being poor!

By the way Americans - Union is the only game people care about internationally. When people talk about the England rugby team, or the All Blacks, or the Wallabies, they're talking about Union. International League is completely and utterly irrelevant.

league is boring and gay, union is real rugby, and sevens is a fun game if youre not fat

Poor northern scum detected, go back to your working men's club mate and drown your sorrows in a pint of watered down shitty warm beer

League is superior in every way

Unless you are posh knob that wants to advance his corporate career, play and watch league

in union you can literally hold the ball the entire game progressing 1 inch leading to hundreds of tackles on 1 possession and the other team never gets the ball. You can win by simply kicking the ball into the goal posts in the final seconds.

I played for england boy's at union, a professional league club until my knees blew up, have been paid to play cricket and I have a degree in philosophy. trust me i'm probably more middle class than you

You can but a team that is aggressive and scores tries will always beat a team that tries to win by kicking.

Union is boring. I don't care if its popular. League more fun. also fuck off bourgeois scum and/or class cuck who pretends to be rich on a chinese hentai chatroom.

>When people talk about [...] the All Blacks, or the Wallabies, they're talking about Union.

Yeah no shit spastic, they're the nicknames specifically for their union teams

>hurr durr we are gentlemen and would never stoop so low as working class scum in trying to game the system

wait til blacks start getting into union. they will do exactly like i described and union will have to set up a downs system.

/nrl/ RUNS Sup Forums

Jake? KCL?

League is shit, enjoy being poor

Which is what I was explaining to our yankee friends, what don't you understand about that?

What are you even talking about? You can score 2 tries and score 14 points, which is far more desirable than trying to score 5 attempts at kicking the ball.

Some teams do try to dominate possession and win by kicking but it usually backfires on them when the other team scores a try and wipes the lead out, like how Wales beat England in the World Cup.

>this thread

PLEASE

Holy shit

Big Strong Americans blowing union scrubs the fuck out

jake is a faggot name
WATCH

bait

this. Australians are masculine manly men while Union twinks are poofs.

>poonion

OUR

not an argument

Does the USA have a Rugby League...League?

Seems like the GOAT version of Rugby desu

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Rugby_League

Jacksonville Axemen and Delaware Black Foxes sound cool

Jacksonville Axemen would be my local team.
Better start shilling for the USARL 2bh
PRO Rugby (Rugby Union) Is literally shit-tier. It only has teams in the west, not to mention the fact that their fans are bigger yurosnobs than soccer fans

No. You do realise that you can contest for the ball at any point? If a team doesn't get any possession it's their fault for being shit.

rugby union is professional since 1995

Yeah, PRO seems like a botched attempt already, the soft launch of an unfinished product isn't going to stick.

To be fair though, Union is growing, sort of. USA actually won a Sevens tournament, and there's talk of hosting the World Cup in the 2020s.

Back to League, what is bonkers is Toronto is likely getting a team in the third tier of English Rugby League, so would be the teams of towns like Barrow and Keighley.

skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/10256500/toronto-given-go-ahead-to-enter-club-in-english-rugby-league

>Union is for middle-class / well off people. League is for plebs.
>You're making me like League more 2bh

rugby union being middle-class and posh private high schools stuff is an anglo thing, in France it's pleb as fuck

rugby league used to be really popular in France before WW2, but since then its popularity had been reduced to only this little place in pic, for some reasons

There's the rugby team in Ohio though

I went to the sevens tourney in Las Vegas this year, was kinda fun

>Australians are masculine manly men

rugby league players post pics of them drinking their own piss or sucking their cat's ass

most of the time, people don't consider this kind of activities as very masculine, but I guess this is a cultural thing, so who I am to talk?

Union forever and always.

Union is better

>piss
>cats

France has one of the Union leagues tbqh.

*one of the best

the wealthiest, for sure

but also really boring

too much focus on power play, possession game, crashbang rugby and risk averse strategies

always more and more physicality and physical intensity, less and less technical skills, tactical awareness and decision making

Rugby league is just American football without the dynamism of the forward pass, and you can be pretty much guaranteed that the first 3 tackles of every set will be a power run straight up the middle.

Its repetitive as fuck.

Rugby union is boring as fuck.

The thing to remember about the bogan is that their allegiance is not to any particular sport, but to the nation of Australia.

It is for this reason that the Australian bogan gravitates so strongly to the three tent-pole sports of boganism - Cricket, Rugby League and AFL. The bogan gravitates to these sports not because he enjoys, or even understands them. The bogan cares only that Australia is the best, thereby validating the bogan. And where else can the bogan assert that Australia is best, other than on the sporting field, where there is a clear winner and loser.

It is for this reason that the bogan will sometimes be seen supporting the wallabies - albeit often furrowing his brow in a vain attempt to understand the sport of rugby. They can't understand how an Australian team might not be the best in a sport, but they will support the team when the team appears to be on the cusp of establishing themselves as the best in the world, only to promptly decry the sport, and not the team, in the event that Australia should lose. A failure of the national side is a failure of the bogan himself, and the distancing of one's self worth from the worth of the national sporting team would require a degree of metacognition that the bogan is simply not capable of.

So the rest of Australia will continue to humour the bogan, as without them our shipping, construction and minerals industries would grind to a halt. And the television networks will continue to play AFL, rugby league and cricket in order to pacify these puzzling creatures. And every now and again on a humid summer breeze you will hear their cries of ">muh state of origin" and ">muh Warney" and you will know that the Australian economy is in safe hands, at least for the immediate future.

Watching union does kinda suck cus it can be very slow but playing union is much better in my opinion as leauge kinda minimizes the difference between position and favours back type players

I spoke to an english co worker about rugby and he said that rugby union in north america is faster paced and harder hitting than at home as we have the influences of handegg and furpuck while at home more tactical "hands off" sports are favoured so in turn rugby is played this way aswell is this just bs or what ?

English rugby, and northern hemisphere rugby in general, is slower and built more around the kicking game. Its a lower risk strategy but results in less tries compared to the southern hemisphere sides where the running game, and backs takes a far greater focus.

I guess it makes sense for there to be more running in North America as its easier to turn a American football player into a decent back than a decent forward.

I honestly think league is slower, it's in the best interest of the team with the ball in both sports to resume play as quickly as possible. In union the team in possession is able to impose themselves on the ruck and secure faster release of the ball, whereas in league the defending team are able to slow the ball down and the attacking team can't do shit.

Maybe watch some NZ union, as we generally play the quickest.

>league fans so desperate and ecstatic over international attention they're pandering so hard, looking so pathetic

K E K
E
K

pathetic.

Well, the average team in the US is only going to have 2-4 guys out there who can comfortably and convincingly kick, let alone return then kick it back, it's not even a given your wings are able to kick

So yea, it's physical as shit here, not much air game and back play isn't always going to be more than basic Xs and shifts and the like

League is shit
If you're going to play downs put fucking pads on and forward pass it you fags, League is just touch rugby except you get to hit people, fucking boring zero strategy "game"

7s is going to be the one the US ends up kicking ass in, it's popularity is skyrocketing and its skillsets transfer pretty cleanly from Football

If you look at the timestamps, it looks like league is for people who don't have jobs and can post on Sup Forums during business hours when the big strong union supporters are at their corporate jobs.

is this the official /nrl/ thread?

fucking kekking at all the cucklanders having a whinge after the game

League is for retards who just want to hit each other hard. It doesn't flow like Union does.

But desu northern hemisphere Union simply isn't worth watching. They just want to run into each other repeatedly.

Watching Super 15s or whatever they call it now is like watching a different sport. Faster pace, players look for the offload, everyone has good hand skills, teams aren't scared to take risks etc. Watch the Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders or Huriccaines play each other to witness how rugby should/can be played.

>Not mentioning the Blues who will carve up next season and likely play the final

How's your gap year working at a pub in Shepherd's Bush going, chch friend?

Having the Ioane brothers playing a full season with give them a couple more wins, but I still think they lack a proper distributor in their back line.

...You don't think Moala, West and Williams will be enough distribution?

(Disregard flag. On holiday.)

Yep! Can't wait until footy displaces pakipaddle.

The pinnacle of Rugby Union is viewed as the penalty goal. Every rule in the entire game is geared towards maximizing the amount of penalty goals that can be attempted within 80 minutes. Its great viewing. What a thrilling sport.
Rugby league is OK but I can't deal with all that running and passing. Sometimes a whole game can pass without a single penalty goal being kicked! Can you imagine?
I hardly ever get to sit and watch for eight minutes while a scrum collapses and repacks six times, followed by a penalty goal, in rugby league. If league wants to compete they need far more of it.
Also, there's far too much game time in rugby league. They set up too many plays and go far too long without slowing the game down with penalties, line outs and 4 scrum re-packs. What rugby league need to do is make field goals and penalty goals worth more, so more time is spent standing around watching one guy kick a ball. Did you guys see the latest Durban Pirates vs Roturua Razorbacks game? Six penalty goals to five! The pirates had no answer to the Razorbacks tactics of kicking the ball out then collapsing the scrum.
Its this level of tactical sophistication that is missing in rugby league, where as you rightly point out, its just a bunch of athletic guys trying to score tries against each other. Yawn.

PLEASE WATCH OUR SPORT

By proper i mean "elite".

West is magpie trash.
Moala is still an average passer with little down field vision, But in spite of that I would have him start in the black 13 jersey if Ngatai wasn't injured.

>It doesn't flow like Union does.
This is a fucking joke right?

I used to watch Yawnion until I was shown the light by WalkGod

Now that I watch at least 3 NRL games a week, I've become a millionaire, married a supermodel and been awarded a PhD in being Elite

Thank you based WalkGod

The top sports in our country should be:

1. Footy
2. Union
3. Field Hockey
4. Tennis

Nothing else matters.

Ngatai will be hamstrung by his tendency to get knocked out and will never reach his potential. and Crotty... Jesus wept, is that what the All Blacks centres have come to?

During last years WC I never understood why people were freaking out about replacing McCaw and DC.

Conrad and (to a lesser but slighty equal extent) Nonu leaving was always going to affect the team more.

union is like a book. need to take time to understand and appreciate and allows for far more complexity.

league is a movie. simple to understand, simpler to play, fun to watch but lacks any real depth

The only book worth reading is the Book of WalkBro

If Poonion was a book it would be Game of Thrones. If League was a book it would be Gravity's Rainbow.

It's all shit compared to AFL

t. A superior male who plays a superior sport

Union is like chess. Variety of different types of players(pieces), complex, can be slow at times, viewed as "boring" by plebs

League is like draughts. Simple to understand, fun to play, but gets repetitive after a while

>A superior male who plays a superior sport

So you're an ice junkie then

Even AFL clubs at grassroots as young as U16's level use ice as a PED: FACT

The use of PED's in the form of steroids, HGH, cocaine and ice at top clubs is commonplace and systematic: FACT

kys now before my elite truth bombs do

If league was a book it would be a pamphlet about about crohn's disease.

>being this mad that his sport averages less than half the attendance at the top level than that of the AFL

kek

KEK

>dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-moves-to-kick-out-bush-drug-scourge/news-story/9f6a1fed227bec47e38e6f524b826609
>b-b-b-but aussie rules is the only sport with drug problems! i swear it!!!

Rugby Union is so much better than league it's actually funny. League has zero competitiveness. There are no rucks, no line-outs, you can't steal the ball from the opposition and the scrums are so insignificant that they might as well do away with them entirely. People claim that league is more spectator-friendly, but this in my eyes simply means 'dumbed down for a TV audience'. There is no strategy at all - I was watching some league last night and I almost fell asleep even though it was only 8:00pm because it was like counting sheep. This morning, I got up at 6:30am to watch England vs Georgia but I couldn't tear my eyes away from it because it was so fascinating. Rugby League is an utterly uninteresting sport, which is probably why it is only played properly in three or four countries. I'd sooner watch American Football, which is saying something (I hate American Football). As far as I can see, league bears more similarities with AF that Union anyway, but is inferior to both union and AF. League is an amalgamation of union and AF which should really have never come into being. Union is growing anyway. It's world cup is twice as big as league's, and the players in it are actually from their respective countries. In the league tournament, they're all just localised Aussies in the northern hemisphere (with the exception of England). It simply isn't true rugby and to refer to it as rugby is sacrilege. Personally, I don't know why anyone would play league, and it is most certainly not more interesting than Union!

fucking keked.

Rugby League is basically a dumbed down version that low class people understand.

>that article
>wanting to be this type of person
>limiting yourself to one type of sport

So many plebs in this thread it's unbelievable

>Union is growing anyway. It's world cup is twice as big as league's

Fresh OC for you lads.

thanks lad

>He thinks Conrad Smith is better than Nonu

Also you dumb fucks just need to start play Barrett at 12 for the AB's.

If your sport was any good it wouldn't have even less international relevance than Rugby League.

>What's the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union?
oh boy

>Which one's better and why?
OH BOY

>he doesn't think Conrad is better than Nonu

For real though how many vowels and and apostrophes are in your last name?

Kek, nice try. Rugby codes have more of an international presence because they begun it England and spread through English colonies. Try again.

OP, I don't really watch either of these semen slurping sports but basically

>league is played by Australia
>union is played by literally everyone else

The US has a union team and a (small) union pro competition going. No league team. There is literally no reason to watch league regardless of whether you think it's """"better"""" because literally no one plays it

English colonies like Argentina, France, Georgia and Japan.

Generally speaking the difference is a willingness to fight for your country.

Neutral AFL fan here. NRL players frequently switch codes to Union and make their national teams without any trouble.

NRL is the superior sport. The only argument Union fans have is >le u r le poor XDXD

You're a special kind of retard.

>sport starts in england
>sport spreads to english colonies around the world
>sport begins to be played across the world, other colonies/countries/etc. take note and participate
>sport becomes played in mutliple countries

Not that hard to understand.