Why doesn't Sup Forums ever talk about Deep Purple?

why doesn't Sup Forums ever talk about Deep Purple?

Same reason Rolling Stone cut them out of their last album guide, I guess.

They had way too many fucking albums and lineups. There isn't one Deep Purple, there's eight Deep Purples.

That and they were never that big in America, mostly a European thing.

That band had like 10 albums in 5 years. In more recent times you often go several years between albums, but in the 70s...

Fireball was the album that got Lars Ulrich to want to play in a band (unfortunately).

I seem to remember that Christgau didn't like them all that much.

The first three albums were under-the-weather cult classics in North America, then on album four they blew up in Europe. However, they didn't have a top 10 US album until Machine Head.

Machine Head [Warner Bros., 1972]

"Smoke on the Water" is about a big fire in Montreux, obviously the most exciting thing to happen to these fellows since the London Symphony Orchestra. No jokes about who's getting burned, though--I approve of their speeding, and Ritchie Blackmore has copped some self-discipline as well as a few suspicious-sounding licks from his buddies in London. Personal to Paul Kantner: Check out "Space Truckin'." B

Burn [Warner Bros., 1974]

The hot poop is that after ten albums the Purps have a lead singer with soulish roots who can actually write songs. The cold turd is that the music sounds the same, as ominous and Yurrupean as a vampire movie, only not as campy. C+

Deepest Purple: The Very Best of Deep Purple [Warner Bros., 1980]

Cut the shit, keep them away from large auditoria, and what you end up with is surprisingly kick-ass: lifting one or two songs from half a dozen albums that have only pushy organist Jon Lord and dum-dum drummer Ian Paice in common, this rocks. With the predictable exceptions--solo here, bridge there, Lord's conservatory application "Child in Time" throughout--it's barely even pretentious. "Black Night" and "Woman From Tokyo" and of course "Highway Star" are as worthy of Nuggets as anything the Stangeloves ever recorded. B

I can only hope that you're not being serious.

They're kinda generic. One reason why Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are remembered much more strongly today is that they had pretty distinct sounds and you could instantly identify them when you heard them, but Deep Purple sound like cookie cutter 70s blues rawk.

the fucking O R G A N dude

Grand Funk Railroad had that too. Hardly unique.

highway star kicks ass

Eh...it's not terrible, I've just never been into car songs.

Like for instance Status Quo, another early 70s band that were huge in Europe for years but proved too generic to get anywhere here.

Black Night is a long way from home

because it's dadrock and the autistic virgins of Sup Forums are too cool for that

Too bad David Coverdale is remember less for his DP run than the unfortunate later chapters of his career.

it's obvious you haven't listened to enough purple

I like deep purple. Child in time, Hush, Perfect Strangers. It's quite good.

IS THIS LOVE

but early whitesnake was good. even the line up was like purple without blackmore and glover

Both wrong, all are generic

The only non-generic influential rock artists were Hendrix and The Velvet Underground, most of the other stuff is boring

THAT I'M FEELIN

The made in japan version is god tier

They had jesus on lead vocals. Not many bands can boast that.

I like Ritchie Blackmore so I like their albums he was on but I don't really have a particular interest in Deep Purple as a band.

>Had
Too bad Gillan's voice was gone by the mid 80's.

"The record industry has always worked the same way--if one's good, a hundred's better. So you have the W bands--the Warrants, the White Lions, the Wingers, the Whitesnakes. And it became so refined and so...processed that it became pablum. Then it got even better because now all the metal bands start doing acoustic numbers. Thanks, Tesla. There was an unwritten rule on MTV for a while that if you didn't do an acoustic set, you weren't a serious artist. Yeah, that's real extreme. I'd like to see Tracey Chapman or Paul Simon plug in two stacks of Marshall amps and ride the lightning."

>Too bad Gillan's voice was gone by the mid 80's

Thanks, Born Again.

>Yeah, that's real extreme.
I kek'd t b h

Babygirl what's your name lemme talk to you lemme buy you a drank

Whitesnake [Geffen, 1987]

The attraction of this veteran pop metal act has got to be total predictability--the glistening solos, the surging crescendos, the macho love rhymes, the tune you can hum before the verse is over, each one new yet somehow heard before. Who cares if they're an obscure nine year old vehicle for the guy who fronted Deep Purple five years before that? Rock and roll's ninth or tenth "generation" of frightened high school boys can call them their own. May they pass from the ether before the current crop of 11 year olds sprouting pubes claim their MTV. D+

Slip of the Tongue [Geffen, 1989]

They've gotten lucky and they don't intend to let go. With hired hand Steve Vai operating all guitars and god knows what other assorted geegaws, they've consolidated the essence of all arena--pomp, flash, tough guy sensitivity. This is now the worst band in the world. So you just move over, Journey. (hey? where is Journey anyway?) D