I liked The Thing but I want more opinions on it

I liked The Thing but I want more opinions on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20030409110605/http://www.bigdeadplace.com/the_thing01.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It is my favorite film.

legit 10/10 movie

One of my favs along with predator and terminator 1

Amongst those 3, its by far the comfiest

Ok. It's not the end all, be all of horror films.

Almost perfect. Always down to watch it when suggested.

If you liked it check out At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft. Similar in setting and tone.

was the alien intelligent? it had a spacecraft, but that could have been another species that was intelligent, it seemed more of a virus, in that the smallest drop of blood could do whatever it wanted, whether it hurt the rest of the alien or not. maybe the bigger it grows, it develops sort of a hive mind?

Going to rewatch it, fuck it.
Great movie, my favorite horror one.

very disappointing in my opinion
rubber puppets covered in slime aren't scarry

12/10, fucking carpenter does it again

It's one of the Lovecraft novels i haven't read yet. Right now i'm in the middle of The colour out of space.

I like the virus theory but its pretty clear it doesnt have a hivemind

each thing is an entity on itself and cant recognize other things

The puppets themselves aren't scary. The great parts of the movie are when they are accusing each other and backstabbing. Also flamethrowers.

my dad says the colour out of space is his best work, i have yet to read it

is it gud?

you should probably watch in the mouth of madness too, another carpenter movie. some people say it's better than the thing, for me it's just different but still great

That's the idea, yes.
The brilliance is that they never really fully explained how it works. Movies can't really pull that off anymore.

Oh i have, i love it too. I don't think it's better, but it's a really good movie still.

No, it's really not. In fact i am struggling a bit to finish it. I much prefered The Case of Charles Dexter Ward for example.

in the mouth of madness gets better with each rewatch for me.

Should i give prince of darkness a third shot? Some people here love it and i think i should love it too but i dont and i really dont want that feel

The Thing threads are so comfy, my bros.

Prince of Darkness is still a very good Carpenter. You should prepare yourself to have a good evening with it.

One of my faves

Alright ill watch it again and hopefully some revelation will hit me and i will love it this time

I really want to like it

Quintessential comfy-core

Why didn't you like it so far?

web.archive.org/web/20030409110605/http://www.bigdeadplace.com/the_thing01.html

It's said the wageslaves on Antarctica loved this movie

I dont know how to explain it, it just didnt stick to me like movies like the thing, evil dead 2, alien, and even in the mouth of madness (after 1st rewatch) did.

I have watched it twice now and for the life of me i cant remember what its about or any scene that sticks out. I dont know why

One thing I never understand is why the alien wouldn't disintegrate into many small pieces all the time since each can live independently.

im guessing that from a survival standpoint (weather, predators) bigger is safer

Well i don't think it likes to be in small pieces. The thing does it when it feels it's required.

One of my favourite viewer theories is for this film, where the thing sips the molotov cocktail.

Well since every thing is its own organism, i would reckon that it doesnt even cross its mind to "divide", since it conceives itself as one standalone entity, every time its divided into smaller things its a result of an action taken by the humans

mine too, i like to tell my friends about it when they see it, they always go "woah"

I totally forgot for years that it was supposed to be the molotov cocktail. Never occured to me before to know where he'd find this bottle before.

It totally works, too, when you see his fucking face after the thing sips it. It's just this amused sort of resignation. That also might just be me reading into it and seeing what I want to see, though.

it's a superbly executed horror flick with a lead that isn't a fucking moron. 10/10.

it doesnt matter if its true or not, its a good theory

Here's a tough one:

The thing or evil dead 2?

Personally i think
The Thing > Evil Dead 2
Mac < Ash

Opinion of my six year old niece: THAT WAS SO COOL

Well before i knew about the molotov theory, i always thought that smirk was there because indeed he thought it didn't matter anymore which of them or if any of them was The Thing cause they would most certainly die anyway.

The 'Molotov Theory' is interesting, but I feel the audience isn't given enough information about the Thing to determine whether or not it could determine the difference between kerosene and alcohol.
However that scene still supports the theory that Child's is the Thing as it imitates a scene earlier in the film. When Macready loses the chess game to the computer near the start of the film he concedes victory and pours his drink into the machine. At the end of the film he concedes victory to the Childs-Thing and offers it a drink in the same manner.

This film is literally perfect to me.

Decent. The more recent one was better.

You're probably one of the guys that thought Babadook was a masterpiece.

Okay. I got your replies points. Let me rephrase my question.

If my knuckle has an independent will it wouldn't let me use it to punch people. If my appendix has an independent will it wouldn't let me cut it off.

How do the things negotiate who becomes Windows' head and who becomes his feet?

i don't really understand what you mean, the thing is made out of mass that can transform itself into any biological matter, and the smallest particles of it can be autonomous. when it assimilates a person it absorbs their mass and transforms the cells to its own kind, and the thing can change its shape at will. it does have a hivemind, i don't know what in the movie or book implies it doesnt?

Also Alien. Alien and The Thing owe a lot to Mountains of Madness.

I liked it better than both remakes.