F-f-f-fuck da mothafuckin police

>f-f-f-fuck da mothafuckin police

This is what's considered the peak of hip hop? Why are black musicians held to such a low standard?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bOe52WzBiS4
youtube.com/watch?v=qagN2xe_YgI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>nwa
>peak of rap music
who the fuck did you hear that from?

Eazy E said that he was the best...

if you exclude classical music, black music is usually, if not always better than white music

It's widely acknowledged that despite being groundbreaking and hugely influential, NWA was a step down from a lot of stuff that came before in terms of lyricism and themes, and was a huge detriment to hip hop culture

>not realizing that niggers make the shittiest fucking oogaa booga music and the only reason rap(e) music is so acclaimed is because jews and disgusting liberal p4k cucks BIX NOOD
Yo sonz, time to redpill you on how the world works. Maybe visit Sup Forums sometimes, friendo :^)

ok pitchfork

....I really hope this is bait.

nwa is the heavy metal of rap

Dre was the only significant piece of NWA, and it was his musicality and DIY beatmaking exclusively.

The rapping is cringey. I mean, such were the times, but really... it was bombastic, hard-hitting but extremely polished instrumentals from Dr. Dre that people were drawn to about NWA.

The record executive jews were literally confused by his work: "who produced this?"

Dre: "Me."

Jews: "No, like, who engineered this?"

Dre: "Me."

He invented the modern producer by simply being a music fan with a creative vision. Enough said.

>my wife's son

That's not entirely correct though; Ice Cube in particular is quite influential in terms of the subject matter he rapped about; all of the political/social commentary songs on Straight Outta Compton were pitched by him, Dope Man was written by him, Boyz N The Hood was written by him, the most famous verse of Fuck Tha Police was written by him, and plus, when he dropped his first two solo albums, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and Death Certificate, he became the West Coast's most famous rapper from 1990-1991, and this streak continued with The Predator in 1992, until Dre dropped The Chronic.

Even so, Cube and Ren were incredibly influential in terms of determining the subject matter rappers from the West Coast chose to rap about, since others from Compton and other impoverished neighborhoods soon bit their style because they felt they had the same story to tell, and groups like Compton's Most Wanted came to be.

Also, to say that the only draw of Straight Outta Compton was Dre's producing is entirely incorrect. Straight Outta Compton was able to go platinum with no radio play specifically because of the controversy that songs such as Fuck Tha Police and Gangsta Gangsta generated. Straight Outta Compton was one of the first albums to have the Parental Advisory label, and back then, this was a signal to the 70% of suburban folk that comprised SoC's sales to buy the album; it was edgy and enthralling. The reason why Eazy E was so important to NWA was because he knew this, and he used that controversy, like the fact that NWA got that letter from the FBI, to sell more copies. He also gave NWA street cred because Ruthless Records was funded by his drug money.

Also, Eazy E didn't fade either, Ruthless was still fairly successful in the midst of Death Row and Bad Boy Records; Bone Thugs and Harmony were incredibly successful; Tha Crossroads was the first rap song to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. So to say that Dre is the only important member of NWA is wrong.

Yeah, but I don't care about any of that.
I'm talking about listening to it in 2016.

Lyrically, it's shit.
The phrasing of the rap, the flow, the depth of language - shit.

Musically, it bangs.

Thanks Dr. Dre.

>Why are black musicians held to such a low standard?

Aside from hip hop that's objectively untrue

Dre is so good
2001 is immaculately produced

It didn't seem like you were, you claimed that Dre was the only significant piece of NWA and that he drew people to NWA, both claims I disputed. Even if you're talking about 2016, NWA and its other members were made relevant again because of the movie, and because NWA were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In fact, when the movie came out, Straight Outta Compton hit the Top 40 for the first time since its release.

Also, yes, Straight Outta Compton uses incredibly simple vocabulary and flow, but this is one of those cases where this actually works to the album's credit; the simplistic and up-front use of language lends itself to the highly raw and visceral subject matter NWA chose to tackle. Remember, Eazy wanted to sell the album on controversy. The simple and vulgar language meant that the message of the album would be able to be understood by everyone; there would be no lyrical pretense or euphemism to be found here. People were shocked when NWA voiced the simmering hatred of the LA ghettos towards the police in such an up-front manner. "Fuck The Police" is legendary. Dope Man gave insight into hood politics and the economics of a drug dealer in a highly visual and ugly manner. Speaking optimistically, if you want to buy into NWA's claims that they wanted everyone to understand the ugly reality they were going through, the ugly language only helps their cause. Their simplicity was authenticity; the album really does sound like they grew up poor in a bad neighborhood. You can see a little what Ice Cube and MC Ren are capable of from Ice Cube's verse on Parental Discretion Iz Advised or If It Ain't Ruff.

Also, it's interesting how you think Dre's production is the best thing on the album; most people I've talked to think the sound and the sampling have aged really badly, and that the lyricism is the album's only real draw, and I find myself having to defend the production.

>it was bombastic, hard-hitting but extremely polished instrumentals from Dr. Dre

that sounded like a carbon copy of what the bomb squad were doing with PE

NWA started the trend of rap becoming a modern day minstrel show

You have to give Dre credit for using the Amen Brother and Funky Worm samples on the album though, the former single handedly gave birth to drum and bass as a genre, and the latter defined the West Coast G-Funk sound that was all over the charts in the '90's

quite a few hip hop tracks used the amen break before he did though

he can have g-funk

Even if you were right, a thread about NWA is the worst place to say this shit. They sucked to be honest. I don't get the hype.

>Why are black musicians held to such a low standard?

they wont be held to any standard at all when Trump finally gets in office and cleanse this shithole of a country. fucking SJW cucks are ruining everything, music used to be my haven but even this is tainted now. can't wait until January. #MAGA

>it's a Sup Forums tries to talk about rap music thread

Yeah, that's true, but based on WhoSampled search results (not a reliable source, I know), the title track of SoC seems to be the most prominent and well known use of the break in terms of sampling, so idk
They're mostly a product of their time; it's the image, the bravado, the antiestablisment attitude, the authenticity that they presented and the influence on what could be said and what topics could be covered in a hip-hop song and in what manner they could be covered which make them so well-loved by the hip-hop community. All of these things shine through on Straight Outta Compton, and in the '80's, something like this was a big deal. The same thing happened with Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. Along with Ice-T, they basically helped create the hardcore hip-hop subgenre, which has given rise to some of the genre's most lauded albums and rappers. They put the West Coast and hardcore rap on the map; without them, some of the interesting history that hip-hop has to offer might not have happened.

Musically, I would be inclined to agree that they're fairly average. But again, it's that visceral rebelliousness and brutal honesty that shines through for me, and the fact that when I listen to Straight Outta Compton, I know that I listened to musical history in the making, especially for hip-hop. That, and on a more basic level, the delivery and production get me hyped.

well heres 2 i know of
youtube.com/watch?v=bOe52WzBiS4
youtube.com/watch?v=qagN2xe_YgI

there are more but i'm not near my library
i know marley marl had it in 86 or 87

Oh yeah, I'm not denying that Dre wasn't the first to use it; I'm just saying that since the title track seems to be the most well-known use of the break, then he might have aided it a little in its rise to prominence, which, admittedly, is a claim I can't prove. We can probably agree that Dre basically defined the sound of the early West Coast rap scene though.

i think what launched it into public consciousness was its presence on UBB
cos a lot of hip hop producers were lazy af and would just get breaks off UBB, you can usually hear when they did because the UBB version sounds weird

dre was just copying bomb squad really though, everything about his production screams 'i wanna be shocklee'
it's especially noticeable when you compare it to anything he did before PE existed

what really bugs me about NWA is its literally like someone heard a PE record and removed all the positive pro-black stuff and chucked in a load of thugged out shit instead

that one record undid everything positive PE had done in a few months

Are you on aderrall? Cause shit man

tl;dr but seriously are you on speed or something

>This is what's considered the peak of hip hop?
Are you retarded

>UBB
Shit, you learn something new every day,

I mean, you're right, but I don't think his World Class Wreckin' Cru/C.I.A type production would work with Straight Outta Compton though kek. And what bugs you about NWA is pretty understandable; I just find the way they changed things to be really interesting; I think it would be pretty difficult to argue whether hip-hop would be in a better or worse state if they weren't around, but it would definitely be a lot different.
Why, what's wrong?

go back to pol

yeah it was a necessary phase, someone would have done it anyway
we already had Schoolly D, Ice T, Too Short and all that and PE had the hardest sound ever, match made in heaven if you're just talking about aesthetics

to me dre is a magpie and his thing to me is more about branding and marketing, he's good at that

Tru. If a black guy started making music like Tame Impala he'd be laughed at and written off by every music journalist

That sound is one reason why AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted is so good; Ice Cube and PE are a match made in heaven too, Endangered Species was awesome

>NWA
>peak hip hop
Hahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahaahhaahhahahahahahahhahah

Disgusting. Cubes first 3 albums are all classics

yeah completely