Let's discuss, Sup Forums

Let's discuss, Sup Forums.
In my bored state, I searched the web for aliens. And I came across Evolution Expert Simon Conway Morris, a professor at the University of Cambridge. His theory claims that alien life-forms that might have developed on Earth-like planets would look very much like us, due to the phenomenom of evolutionary convergence. While I can understand his approach, I also believe that evolutionary convergence is not a concept we should really consider, here.
His logic is that evolution, when it comes to the dominant race, favours larger brains, opposable thumbs and all that. "If you want a fly, there are only a couple of ways to go about it." was his example.
Sure, if we're talking our planet, that is. What if, on a planet similar to our own, flies need larger wings? Maybe stingers, or pincers? Similarly, what if the dominant race on a certain planet, the equivalent of humans, has wings or gills? I could certainly see the benefits of such assets.
What I am trying to get at is that evolution on Earth works in one way, while on another planet, despite the how similar to Earth it might be, it would work differently. Something among the lines of "what works for you doesn't work for me."
Am I wrong?

evolution is a lie

I've got serious problems and you come up with this alien bullshit...

What sort of problems? While not on topic, I did say we could discuss. Come on. Got nothing else to do.

People always assume that life requires water and oxygen. Neither is true.

The theory of evolution certainly has its points. Sure, there are some things that are not quite clear yet, such as the incredible and statistically impossible leap in intelligence seen in early hominids. But I believe that evolution is true. Why would you say otherwise?

schizo type mental illness, hate everyone I know, weird pains in shoulder (very strong), sleeping 14 hours a day because of depression, weird loneliness since I can't talk with other people, will need a job, but it will be bad so thinking about just leaving everything behind and being a homeless fuck with a guitar and a paintbrush in a hand...

Exactly. But, he did say Earth-like planets, so I am willing to allow such assumptions. But then again, that does not mean that something similar to hominids would pop up.

Man you need a feels thread
Also
>guitar and paint brush
Holy fuckin kek you loser autist, get a job hippie, why are guitar players such moody fucks
>from a drummer to you

Who knows what sort of creatures might have evolved on earth if things didn't keep getting wiped out every so many millions of years.

no, im not a guitar player, im a bad musician hobo, would beg for money that way. and painting is what I like to do, so might as well get some money somehow out of it. some people say im good.

Nice dubs.
Guitar and paintbrush in hand? Are you skilled with any of them. A lot of artists had serious issues, and art is what helped them bounce back. In fact, I think there is one really good painter that has schizophrenia. His surreal, scary art is what brought him fame. The fact that you could make some money and could potentially become famous is just an added bonus.
Psychological issues, such as those desctibed by yourself are, indeed, serious and need to be properly tended to. But don't give up and keep your wits about you and you might just strike gold. Check with a doctor for your shoulder as well. Arthritis is a scary and surprisingly common problem nowadays.

and I will try this thing called job, but I've heard about people doing this shit and slowly losing their minds.

Exactly my point. Evolutionary convergence is a flawed concept, because evolution has a circumstantial component as well.

>Are you skilled with any of them.
people say I could play in the streets. Will go to art school soon, will learn how to draw, though I'm talented/creative as some say, but it's not in my hand to control... used to do psyhedelics, without them it's harder to create something.

It's ok blacks are chanting " we want Trump" on CNN right now

I remember reading about some fossils of ancient sea creatures.cant remember what they called, but they were surprising because they looked similar to starfish, but they had surprisingly large brains.

Could be shoulder cancer, I've had 2 family members that have had it. By the way how old are you user?

before humans, dinasours were the most dominant species. shit just happens. and if you want to know what aliens look like. just look at all the animals on this planet

still very young, just 18.

Well, from a medical point of view I would say psychedelics are a no-go. But the use of them among artists is also fairly common. Remember the stories about Van Gogh and Absinthe? Well, that was back when Absinthe supposedly had a bit too much wormwood.
You do you, I guess. My philosophy is that you can keep doing whatever it is that keeps you functional, as long as you're not an issue for others. Good luck with art school. And don't give up just yet, m8.

Well be happy your not 24 and just starting out in life like me. You'll be ok in my opinion most people are at least a lil fucked mentally, just remember that when your out dealin and talking to other people. Your not the only one and lots of sucessful people current and in the past were probably even more screwed up then you could imagin. Actually it seem now a days the stranger you are the better you are off, just look at steve ballmer, dudes a whack job.

Thanks, I'm on risperidone 3mg daily, will take them for 5 years without any use of psychedelics or any other drugs. But after that I will probably use them again, but my mental condition will be much better since I'll be older and after anti psychotics.

I agree, to some extent. Some may bear some resemblence to Earth organisms. But there are a lot of things that could pop up and that we would consider abnormal. That's why claiming convergence or similarity as a general rule just seems wrong.

Yeah you're wrong. There could be minor changes, like gills MAYBE ??, but they would still probably be humanoid. No wings, because wings could never support a human-sized person. The "humanoids" size and weight would always be proportional to its planets gravity.

Give humanoids bigger wings, then. I mean, Pteranodons were fairly large as well, yet they could fly because of the huge wings they had.
To be honest with you, I wanted to meet someone that would be against my arguments.
If you would, please, enlarge on why you think aliens (the dominant species on a certain planet) would inevitably look like humans, bar some minor changes.
Because I believe that the dominant, sentient species on Planet whatever-have-you could very much resemble an octopus.