/comp/ - Composition General

>Richard Strauss best Strauss edition

Last thread
An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

Post with the intent on discussing composition. And remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any music, such as jazz, is acceptable.

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY
>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles/Excercises
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schoenberg's "Fundamentals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>20th century music by Stefan Kostka
dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Google Drive folder
drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B8L6-YOBO_NIOXk1OXRsTDlWMHc

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Strauss_II
youtube.com/watch?v=e8XFqiJasmA
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7035238/Sibelius_7_-_Notation_Software_Including_Full_Sound_Library
vocaroo.com/i/s02ThezAv3Vl
clyp.it/2qw5l0om
trinitycollege.com/site/?id=1283
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lindybeige is based

I love his history videos but his climate change videos really do make me cringe
regardless he is based

i like his observational vids aswell

The Johann Strausses are comfy though. Not revolutionary but comfy.

which one though

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Strauss_II
>His father did not want him to become a musician but rather a banker. Nevertheless, Strauss Junior studied the violin secretly as a child with the first violinist of his father's orchestra, Franz Amon. When his father discovered his son secretly practicing on a violin one day, he gave him a severe whipping, saying that he was going to beat the music out of the boy.
The second.

The first was comfy as well though.
youtube.com/watch?v=e8XFqiJasmA

FINALLY, i need help importing sound sets so i dont have to hear shitty midi playback. Cause an important factor of good music is to have GOOD SOUNDS. No matter the composition, it wont work when you have clown horns honking away 16th notes at 150bpm

Im downloading this, hopefully their own sounds good
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7035238/Sibelius_7_-_Notation_Software_Including_Full_Sound_Library
I tried Garritan/Aria and Kontakt 5 with the default sibelius(without sound library), loaded the VST folders(with the .dll) but IT DIDNT WORK! Kontakt 5 i had trouble working with, only had one plug in for horns. But Garritan i have multiple and it doesnt work, but every time I open Garritan it asks for an activation key so maybe its that... Also when i open Garritan without sibelius it has a laggy sound, as if its broken or someshit....

TLDR:
Does anyone use VSTs/sound libraries with their notation software? Think you can help?

bump

BAIMP

Could someone give me examples of proper slow movements in sonata form? The second movement to my sonatina really seems to be trying to become a standard fast movement on me.

bump

make bass notes twice as long as high notes

MAbp

What kind of keyboard do you have, to make such a typo?

what a shit, Sup Forumss dead

the /r9k/ keyboard

Scordatura kills your strings though. Student cellists don't realize they're doing so and new music cellists specialize in it so they have to.

Somebody play my autism please, I think I fucked up with the key signature and time.
Just give it a shot and vocaroo it pls.

Looking to do some fun instrumentation for windband. Nothing particularly challenging (it's for a high school windband) but something quite recognisable and fun to play. Any suggestions?

vocaroo.com/i/s02ThezAv3Vl

nice little melody, i would suggest using G# instead of Ab to make it easier to read.

how is my counterpoint attempt

what even are

clyp.it/2qw5l0om

thx

late night bump

i like it, but i would say its just a bit on the short end

i just started it like an hour ago.

Whoa it's still alive.

2 am

im hitting the hay

night

me, it's only 11:13 here

New in this thread.

The links in the OP are ok for a guy like me that doesnt know a shit about music composition? I like to mess with soundfonts but when I try to reproduce the melody that I have in my head on the piano roll I get frustrated and notice I lack the basic stuff.

yeah the links are great, though if you feel as though you still don't understand some of the basic theory you can always sit through some early trinity papers (1-5). I'm sure if you post your answers someone in the thread could take their time out and mark it.
trinitycollege.com/site/?id=1283

Do people only use this to write cadences? Or would you follow this for an entire song?

You can do whatever you want m8. It's the 21st century