Will there ever be a movie as good as this?

Will there ever be a movie as good as this?

Book is better user.

After the Jews are removed from Hollywood, maybe.

So Sup Forums likes movies now

There has been. and it's called Civil War.

but the book is not a movie.

What a dumb comparison for a movie with very little dialogue or plot to be compared to a book.

More like 2016: A Space Budget Cut

But the book is based on the movie

yes. pic related.

2001 is the perfect marriage of content and form, one of the few that just nails everything attempted.

I don't know if it's the best film ever, but it's certainly Kubrick's magnum opus.

so what? how do you even compare 2 completely different media?
and btw, in this case one could argue that the book is also based on the movie

This. The movie is ridiculously slowly paced (even compensating for ADHD millenials) and some of the best parts of the book were left out. It's been a while since I read it but the ending described some really cool alien stellar level engineering used to extract energy from a star along with some other stuff and there was actually an explanation for why Dave ended up in the weird house and then turned into a space baby. The movie version was just a nonsensical acid trip.

>there was actually an explanation for why Dave ended up in the weird house and then turned into a space baby
That's fucking disgusting.

The tree of life...? the master...? Solaris 19072...? All three are better IMHO.

apocalypse now is better

The End of Evangelion

not a movie

>movies being "better" than one another
Sure, there are movies that fail in what they aim to do, but movies that reach a level of mastery and competency shouldn't be pitted against each other like a sporting event or a competetion. It's pointless, because of the variety of possible themes, narratives, and aesthetics, movies that are masterpieces deserve to be critically examined and analyzed, not given point ratings and spots on sorted lists.

It's a very base way of looking at art, and I personally think it should be abandoned by anyone who thinks they're serious about discussing movies. It's a trademark of blogs and hacks.

Yes every movie ever made! Not baiting. This movie is like the deleted scenes extras on most movies, but the entire movie should have been a deleted scene. It's just awful. If you think otherwise you are a pretentious neck beard who drinks his own jizz after masturbating

>Not baiting.
How does it feel to be objectively wrong about art? I know it's hard to pull off, but you sure as hell did it. I'm interested though, any critiques that don't involve your personal homoerotic fantasies?

It feels great! I am not beating off to a painted soup can.
How terrible is it to know you are a slave to hipsterism and pretentiousness?

>hipsertism
Please, for the love of christ, will someone give me a defintion of this word beyond "thing/person I don't like"?
>pretentiousness
2001 is actually one of the least pretentious movies ever made.

THIS
B
H

Gladly, being a hipster means you only enjoy things because other people who appear to be smart like it, and or you like things simply because the general public doesn't like it. Also you dress like fucking Waldo and pretend to like anything that makes you edgy or cool. you actually don't have an opinion of your own because you have no ability to understand things on your own. you need social validation to like anything or dislike anything before you commit.

I would argue it's the most! and so would everyone who has ever seen it who is able to be objective in any way.

>you like things simply because the general public doesn't like it
Most moviegoers either love, or at least doesn't hate, 2001. It's incredibly well-respected, one of the least contrarian choices out there, which is a closer term to what you're saying than a word that means pretty much nothing, as evidenced by the rest of your "definition", which is mostly personal attacks against imaginary opponents.

>I would argue it's the most!
OK then, so do that. You're making assertions, but the points you're using to back up your empty words are meaningless, and focus mostly on superficial appearances and perceptions than the content and form of the film itself.

Which is very, very similar to the model of the person you railed against here:

It's pretty bad dude. I mean its the epitome of what non faggot english majors call pretentious.
It's laughable all the way through I am amazed people actually defend this crap. It's got the reputation of the wasteland but like "the waste land" its overrated as well people give meaning where none exist. My soup can analogy was pretty much perfect. There is no meaning other than what you give it. Real genius like nabokov destroy these types of lit and crit. It's embarrassing to like these things if you are a true intellectual

You're a braindead moron and imbecile and should slit yoru own throat with a small kitchen knife.

I honestly am dying to hear a legitimate critique from you, but all I'm getting is empty buzzwords, unwarranted superiority, and personal attacks.

>There is no meaning other than what you give it
That's just not true, Kubrick had a clear idea in mind when he was making this movie. He conveys these ideas perfectly through the marriage of form and content. 2001, and pretty much all of Kubrick's work, is far from "death of the author"-tier shit.

I only have a carpet knife. Is that acceptable?

You'll just have to wait. I have to actually watch the movie first. It'll be six hours of bordem. Then, after the movie is over and I wake up from my bordem induced coma I will attempt a review for you.

I'm surprised you didn't get shit on, but our taste is actually quite similar. I see 2001 as as close to flawless as a movie can get. But on a level of emotions envoked or enjoyment in general, I too prefer the three you listed. So specifically answering OPs question of "good", sure, depending on taste, there will always be movies like more than 2001. But, on a technical level, it's hard to find a film more impeccable the A Space Odyssey

Prometheus.

>public domain music

You should seriously consider suicide senpai. Or at least never talk to anybody about anything ever again just in case they catch the retard from you.

>who drinks his own jizz after masturbating

There is literally nothing wrong with that, it's free protein.

Finally someone who gets it!

what a boring piece of shit, nobody had super powers in the whole movie

I'll just watch 2001 and think that people actually like this shit. That'll probably make me fucking kill myself. Good Idea. The world is not worth living in if people that are this autistic actually exist.

Totally! I love eating mine and not having to clean up.

If you can't recognise why 2001 is regarded as one of the best films ever made then you're either genuinely retarded or you haven't a modicum of film knowledge.

you know I just fucking love.... you know what? I can't even think of something more laughable than 2001. this is the perfect board for absolute morons.
It's like defending philip glass music or something even more horrible

Hell I help most my friends with this problem as well.

or I am not a fucking fat piece of shit who dreams of writing his own episode of star trekk and the like. Go jerk off to your cunnyfu or whatever you do neckbeard.

Kek it's obvious you're developmentally challenged

Cringed hard

totally! I sincerely hope we meet in real life and I hate you but you pretend to like me because you are a beta bitch hipster. Till we meet again.

Only hipsters get offended when they get called that. It's one of the ways to identify them.

Genuine question: Are you below the age of 18? Be honest

27 actually.

27 waldo

Its called Interstellar. Check it out.

This.

>27 years old
>shitposts about movies he hasn't seen
Follow up: Where did it go so wrong for you?

her name was Lynne... need a say more?

Saw it again on the big screen at my local cinema and no, there won't be anything better

There are better movies, namely:

Battleship Potemkin
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Rules of the Game
Vertigo

>27 actually.

Dude, that's fucking disturbing. We're gonna have to start rearing the young in vats unless you buck the fuck up.

normies will populate the earth.... thank god !

Alien
faggot