Why do metalfags like overbearing bass so much?

Why do metalfags like overbearing bass so much?

I think that pic related sounds crystal clear with balanced low end and the remastered version sounds like dogshit in comparison.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shitting on metallica has become so overplayed, but god is hardwired boring as fuck
every fucking song is worse than that lords of summer song
at least it really made me appreciate death magnetic

>Why do metalfags like overbearing bass so much?

I don't. Remasters often sound worse when there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the original.

There was a remaster?

I think people use bass as a catch all term. AJFA has plenty of bass (meaning low end), but not enough bass guitar. If you listen closely you can occasionally pick out the bass guitar in the mix on this album. They got a good tone, and Jason played his ass off. I think a little more bass guitar in the mix, but not necessarily more low end, is what people wanted from this album. But having said all of that, I love AJFA and the way it sounds

I play the bass, and And Justice is fucking perfect as-recorded, to the point that I consider it the best Metallica album by a long shot.

Bass guitar in a Justice-era Metallica song is a superfluous and unnecessary as guitar in a Future Islands song. It's just not needed.

mah fucking niggah. i agree 100%

bump

>If you listen closely you can occasionally pick out the bass guitar in the mix on this album

youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo

You can hear bass at 0:53-0:56

album was kinda boring desu

If you ask real metal dudes they prefer the old sound, most hate remasters including me.

that's just heavy electric guitar edited in post to be a lower frequency.

There is no bass in ...and justice for all

Lars Ulrich said a lot of people have told him Justice was their favorite Metallica album, especially the younger (born after 1980) generation of metal fans, so w/e.

...And Justice For All [Elektra, 1988]

Problem isn't that it's more self-aware than Puppets, which is inevitable when your stock in trade is compositions, not songs. Problem is that it's also longer than Puppets, which is inevitable when your stock in trade is compositions, not songs. Just ask Yes. C+

Fucking this.

I think the record wouldn't have had the same impact if the bass was audible, to the point where I just can't imagine AJFA's main riff after the solo with a bass plucking along to it. Besides, countless metal bands and records have copied AJFA's sound after it came out. Alongside records like Heartwork, Vulgar Display of Power and Demanufacture, it revolutionized metal production and set the foundation for what are now metal production clichés (scooped, multitracked guitars with 0 mids, punchy, clicky and compressed to shit kicks, almost no bass guitar).

Is there any good Metallica after Black? The 2 1/2 hours of the load albums is kinda intimidating, and I've heard there isn't much to look forward to.

I don't get it either.
Honestly AJFA is fucking great, a masterpiece even. In fact it's the one Metallica album that stops me from considering them the most overrated shit band in existence.

Fanmade. The new official remasters have only done the first two, with Puppets sometime in the near future.

Hardwired is solid. The Load era doesnt have much, I can just list out most of the good songs from that era for you.

Aint My Bitch
2x4
King Nothing
Fuel
Better Than You
Frantic
St. Anger
Some Kind Of Monster
Sweet Amber

Nothing from Death Magnetic is memorable for me.

But yeah Hardwired is great, fuses the sound from their first 4 albums with some of the groovier stuff from the later era.

Is it true only about half the songs are decent on Hardwired? Thanks for the recs, by the way.

Death Magnetic had a couple really good songs. That Was Just Your Life, All Nightmare Long are solid, The Day That Never Comes, Cyanide and The Judas Kiss are more okay-ish, but not forgettable.

Personally, I would say yes. Hardwired, Moth Into Flame, Atlas, Rise!, Dream No More and Spit Out The Bone are the only songs I found really good.

Ok thanks, I'll make sure to listen to those

First 6 songs are amazing undoubtedly. Next 5 songs is honestly up to you, hit or miss. Last song is really thrashy. But overall there's not really definite filler is this record. All songs are enjoyable, especially first 6 and last.

Ohhh yeah, The Judas Kiss is honestly one of the greatest Metallica riffs.

Best Metallica record, desu

They lost it with TBA when Bob Rock convinced James that he could actually sing and also he started writing about his feels rather than nuclear war or fear of getting fried in the electric chair or something.

This. That's why ajfa is their last good album. The sellout started with the black album.

>Is it true only about half the songs are decent on Hardwired
Hardwired is very mediocre, soulless, and and forgettable aside from a line or two in two of the songs which keep playing in my head constantly despite only listening to the album once (and hearing two of the singles maybe 2 other times).

The autotuned vocals are very weird sounding as well.

IIRC, Load/Reload were mostly Lars and Kirk's project rather than James's.

legit the only good prog metal album

Yeah, but I also think part of that is just the way he sings now. I remember seeing live footage within the past several years and his voice sounds all auto-tuney and weird (I guess it's possible it was actually being autotuned)

Not even close. Justice was an example of a band trying something that was out of their reach. There's a bunch of moments on the album when they start building to some face-melting climax and then it totally falls flat.

The real problem with the mix is those awful sounding drums right on top of the guitar

Thrash/speed metal usually doesn't rely on bass anyway; that's more stuff like early Black Sabbath where they just played short licks with a lot of drum/bass fills in between.

Are you retarded? The bass is literally not audible in AJFA. Guitars sound great. But the bass is mixed out.

Still a great album tho.

Yeah, the snare sounds so dry, could've used some of that Master of Puppets reverb. Got used to the sound of the toms and kicks tho, can't imagine the record with any other drum tones.

I just love the guitar tone on this record. Ever since I started getting into music production I've been trying to recreate it.

black album has some solid tracks, see Enter Sandman, Wherever I May Roam, and My Friend of Misery

I've always felt My Friend of Misery is kinda disposable but yeah, the Black Album has some fucking solid songs, Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Holier Than Thou, Don't Tread On Me and Through the Never are great.

He gave TBA a bomb rating and in one other column, he said "I put James Hetfield out of his misery inside of five plays. Life is short and I felt it getting shorter with every song."

Metallica's a worthless band so who cares

Gonna listen to Slayer, Sodom and Megadeth instead

Of wolf and man, the god that failed, the unforgiven

Black album is pound for pound the best 'Tallica album.

While Justice era was peak Metallica in terms of live performance and hungriness.

>While Justice era was peak Metallica in terms of live performance and hungriness

Late 80s Metallica had the most fury and energy, early 90s Metallica had the biggest, most powerful performances.