I'm making a card game. Need some input. It won't be commercially sold...

I'm making a card game. Need some input. It won't be commercially sold, I'm just printing some shit on cardstock for my friends and I.

Imagine a game a lot like MTG (so it's easy to get into), but without color types. I *really* don't want color types in my game, but what can I put in to substitute the variety that color types offers?

Shapes

Nonono. Like, I want every player to be able to put any card in their deck. But imagine if lightning bolt in MTG could go in every deck, it would definitely be in every deck.

just pull a yu-gi-oh and replace mana with shitty sacrifice stars or whatever

Everything costs you hitpoints, by sacrificing monsters you can get some back

and then you roll a d20

make the characters have different penises and make them based on penis type

Genius
That doesn't sound too bad

Do it like hungry hungry hippos and have white pearls for food that they eat for power

dont like colors, try shapes!

you're welcome

I already fucking thought of that you piece of shit, it's the first fucking comment, stop trying to steal my fucking idea. It's my idea and if he uses it then he has to partner with ME. Were not fucking cutting you in you got it?

Take a note from L5R and just have the spells like Lighting bolt be attached to a creature card that has an upkeep.

Say you have a mana style card but it generates a gold on your turn instead of magical power. You have a wizard mercenary that you not only have to have the magical power for him to cast his spells but you also have to pay him gold so he would have an upkeep of 1 gold a turn and an effect like mtg's "1 colorless and tap: deal 3 damage to target creature or player"

How about colour types?

have you considered trying shapes

Hoho I like that
Jesus Christ you guys are killing me.
The principle would still be the same if I used shapes instead.

No it wouldnt, you could use like circle, square, long circle, triangle, long square, all of them for different kinds, my idea btw, don't let them take it

do dick types count as shapes

Well, sure. I'm gonna be profiting like 50¢ a pack, I'll send your checks in the mail for 5¢ each soon.

We'll put them in every 7/11 across the country and make millions

Also use a land type to denote a mine, have a grunt type creature(think like 0/1 thralls) that are like SCV/Drone/Probe that have no upkeap but you can only have so many per turn or maybe they have a 1 time gold cost. instead of having up to x number of certain cards, you can only assign so many miners to fertile ground. Each miner generates 1 gold a turn.

Common mines could have 2 miners and unlimited number of cards in the deck(think standard lands in MTG), rare lands could have 3 miners(max four rare lands per deck) and then legendary lands can have 4 miners(but limited to 1 or 2 per deck)

Mana could instead be Ley Lines and you have to attach crystals to yield more. Basically no crystal is mana when tapped, low quality crystal is 2 and high quality crystal is 3. That way there is less emphasis on having to have 20 mana and instead you can have a similar outcome with 10 lands(mines) and 10 ley lines(mana)

> Basically no crystal is mana when tapped

make that no crystal is 1 mana when tapped

>mfw I have no face

I knew this was a great idea, look at it all coming to fruition

That's definitely turning out to be a good looking mechanic. We're doing it!

I like that crystal idea towards the end, but too many resource types to keep track of could be risky.

Anus mouth

legendary right here guise cop quick

HoohoO I have the rarest card already. Feels good.

Only 2 resources, then units instead of sheer number of cards just because having 1 card and 5 units is a little more interesting imo than "I turn these 10 cards sideways and now you lose because fireball nine damage"

This thread is an example of what b should be

Try skin color types instead

Add pendulum summoning

*color

I'm not too sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on the units part?

>tfw dick types idea got thrown out

Shitty balance, white would win every time

Oh hey, it's Alan Resnick

He's my waifu.

>i recognise that bulge

OP should try shapes.

What if there are twice as many black cards?