Let's say you are sixteen years old and your grandfather passes away. Before he died...

Let's say you are sixteen years old and your grandfather passes away. Before he died, he intended a certain amount to be left to me. Only thing is, is that he didn't put it in his will. While the amount almost hits six figures, it turns out that his wishes weren't carried out.

The people responsible for carrying out his wishes were my parents. They instead took the money and never told me about. During the time, they did, however, make a joint account with me, which I never bothered to check. A number of years later, and I get a job and open up a bank account so I can get direct deposit and voila, I see a large sum of money sitting in an account I wasn't expecting. This money isn't what was to be mine, but it's more than half.

Originally, my parents had told me that they were looking to buy a new house, which, at the time, I wasn't aware of what had transpired. When they found a house, they eventually put the old house up on the market. They eventually told me that I was supposed to get a sum of money from my granddad. Naturally, I was very upset with them, and told me if I wanted to move out, they would understand. Only thing is, is that the money is in the house.

Do you see the problem? If they bought a house with my money, then what about the money they had been putting into the previous home over the years? They were using it as they pleased. Scummy, I know. However, linking back to the accounts, I read that it's actually completely legal for me to clean the account out.

If I were to clean the account out, I would have to leave, of course. My parents would probably try to literally kill me. There is, however, the moral dilemma. I know some of you might be asking why there is a dilemma, but there is. If I were to do this, they would have to liquefy certain assets and they would still be strapped for cash, nor able to retire when they want to. I would be putting them in a bad spot, but then again, they put me a bad spot just as much.

What would you do?

haven't finished reading but bumping out of interest

take the money and leave them the house

Do you like your parents?
What did they do for you in those years? If you look back at memories, where they good or bad ones?

ty
mostly bad ones. my dads a drunk and my moms a bitch

Your parents raised you. I think its ok for them to use the money, but with your consent.
But seriously, if it bothers you that much, take all the money and get somewhere. Never to contact your family again.
But for me, family is more than money. If a six figure money is more than your parents, i dont know what to do.
Its up to you

What do you mean your parents would literally try to kill you? I need context for this.

Then fuck em, take it all

Clean the account my negro.
Run away

Take it and run. Fuck 'em.

Take the money. Get a new family. Y'know, kids.

I'm sure it will be of no surprise when the majority says "Fuck your parents they did a bad thing so you should just not care and screw them over cause they did thing bad".

I would do the obvious, leave my parents the house, take care of my family but keep most of the money for myself, It's fucking money. Does nothing past the point of survival.

Are you actually in a terrible spot right now? What % of the money would leave you with the inability to live and eat?

I can kill them

bumping in the hopes someone with business skills drops by

>pic related

leave them a tenth or enough to get by comfortably then cut and run with the rest

Let's just say they are involved with some local people and it would probably push them over the edge. Very angry considering the current political climate.

If family is more important than money, then why screw over two parts of the family and keep the money?

I pretty much know what I need to do before I leave. It's not much. I'll be scared of going across the nation on my own, but I also think it'd be neat.

I'm near desperate measure. I have a small side gig I'm doing, but it's not enough to support me. This money would allow me to support myself for a couple of years, if not more. I would also be able to invest in myself.

What do you mean your parents would literally try to kill you

have you ever read any headlines pertaining to families being killed in murder-suicides? idk why, but i'm already scared of that happening

This all honestly has to do with how you feel about your parents already. We all make mistakes. If your parents love you, they would be willing to make up for that amount they owe and pay you back accordingly over time at the very least.

If you really love them despite this but feel conflicted, you should pick your parents first and not just take the money and run. Money fucks up families left and right. Some people just can't help but see green everywhere once there's money involved and forget about morals and being kind and fair to family. So although it's hard, in that case, it's best for you to just say fuck it to the money because it's not really something worth losing parents over.

Now if they always pull this shit and take advantage of you and treat you like shit, fuck them. It's not the money at this point, it's about taking a stand for yourself and saying "No more."

So essentially, your choice should not be about the money itself but centered completely around how you feel about your parents.

"a couple of years". This doesn't sound like much money at all. Unless you're used to living in a mansion.

> he didn't put it in his will.

You have no leg to stand on.

> it's actually completely legal for me to clean the account out

It isn't a criminal act to clear out a joint account but they could still sue you in civil court claiming it wasn't yours to take and they'd be right. You can't prove it's yours to take.

Welcome to having a manipulative family.

You should leave taking none of the money but removing your name from the account so they can't use it to fuck with your credit and never speak to them again.

They'll fuck with your mind for the rest of your days. This isn't about money it's about control and as long as you live with them you'll have no control.

Run like hell.

What if I were to have admission of guilt?

Otherwise, how would they be able to sue me if it's within my legal rights to clean to the account out? How would they be able to fuck with my credit using the account?

You're obliged to respect and help your parents even when they make mistakes or are just assholes.
You owe them for producing and raising you!
If the money stuff bothers you (rightly so), reduce contact to the necessary minimum AND TELL THEM WHY.

I took care of my grandparents for 6 years in my 20s because they took care of me a lot growing up and my grandpa got alzheimer's, I moved in and tried my best as he slowly died from cancer and dementia, my mother who was their only daughter and favorite child lived 25 minutes away and wasn't even working for most of this time. She didn't do shit and ignored them as I went into debt keeping them going with meds and radiation therapy, went 16 grand in debt because I had to stop working when his dementia got really bad. My grandma decided to put me in their will because she wanted to make sure I got paid back. they died and when the estate was split up 4 ways I told my mom they could chip in to pay my debt which was the original agreement and also so I could use my share to move, my mother looked me in the face and said "you're not getting anymore than me it's my inheritance.". it's amazing losing respect and all love for a parent in one instant. I said fuck it to the debt and moved away, haven't seen her in 3 years and I'm glad she's dying from a brain tumor, she'll get the same treatment they got from her. Don't trust you parents kids, they're fucking assholes just like everyone else unless you're really lucky

Clean it out and gtfo

I'm still interested in this

im interesting in the credit thing

i was once sixteen and inherrited 56 thousand dollars from an uncle.

my mom convinced me she needed it more than i do and i gave it all to her to fix the house.
the house was left worse than before since she refused to hire anyone and tried doing everything herself.

Can't you just be sad that your grandfather died and not be a little jew?
Also your parents probably put double the inheritence into raising your little greedy ass.

I second this. Fuck them, take the money. It's yours by law and morally.

Hi OP,

I am a qualified lawyer in England and have experience in probate law. Let me run through a few steps first:

First of all, because your grandfather's wishes weren't in his will, it is safe ro assume that the money is not yours. HOWEVER, if these wishes were known by your parents who acted (not to mince words) greedily and took it, you might be able to get a Deed of Variation requesting that the will be ammended provided the statute of limitation hasn't passed (about 6-12 years).

Secondly, you might be able to prove an equitable claim over the money. Equity works in strange ways, but would most likely see that the will was changed through intention. It is best to speak to a solicitor about this.

In terms of the actual sticky issue (the cash), here is how you get the whole sum and stay happy. If you can prove title over the money, equitable tracing can prove that you have not only a rightful claim over that in the back, but the proportion spent on the new house. This means you can claim a share of your parent's property which means they must pay you out that share if they were to sell. Not bad for a young man your age.

The next question is a tough one, so I'll give you some info on it first. As the people who handed out the cash, your parents acted as trustees to the trust (wills are weird, go figure). By failing to take into account the wishes of the settlor (your grandfather) and not reviewing relevant information, they have breached both the trustees duty (under Pitt v Holt which includes the Re: Hastings Bass rule) and a fiduciary duty as trustees. Long story short, you can claim compensation off of them if you so wish. The aforementioned question, however, is would you do that? The two major sticking points are that 1) they are your parents and it might be seen as harsh and prove bad for your familial relationship and 2) arbitration and litigation cost a bucketful (we've got to make money too).

My advice would be to speak to a solicitor.

Nope, you can clean the account out because your name is on it. That's all. You have no legal standing to the money otherwise.

So there's nothing illegal and there's no way I could go to jail?