First attempt at moonlight sonata measures 1-9

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/rocksoftt/soundcloud-threads
youtube.com/watch?v=GU5LbJBOXv4
clyp.it/dmg0whmo
youtube.com/watch?v=O2wmpVxjtu0
musictheory.net/lessons
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think you need to work on the basics first, and get something with weighted keys if you actually want to play pieces like the Moonlight sonata and not shit on them.

>tfw very talented with the piano
>tfw can't afford anything more than a shitty casio bottom-of-the-barrel keyboard
>tfw it's slowly eroding your ability to play on a real piano

>basics first
What are the basics?

Basic scales
Sheet reading
Chords and transitioning between them (both one handed and two handed)

You should drill simply these for a few days however boring. Getting a metronome is handy too though I wouldn't bother using one yet.

not bad and piano is so worth learning - does your keyboard have a plug for a pedal because that would help you a lot i reckon

Same.
Every day after class I go over to the Performing Arts building on my campus to play one of the actual pianos in the rehearsal rooms.
If you live near a college you could try the same.

>Getting a metronome is handy too though I wouldn't bother using one yet.

USE THE METREONOME.
I dont care if you have it on a slow or fast tempo, use it.

I'm trying to learn piano after playing guitar for like 10 years, and it seems a lot harder. Anyone else experience this?

I actually just enrolled, I might as well play while I'm there

Just seems utterly pointless if you're stretching to find certain notes every second.

It's all about building strength and muscle memory for the first few weeks, not timing or even particularly playing music. Once you can comfortably transition then you it seems logical to use one.

There's no reason to bleed playing piano, what a stupid pic

I have the exact same problem in reverse
I've been playing piano since I was 6 (I'm 19 now) and I can wreck shit on one

I decide I want to learn guitar so I can finally have a real guitar in my music, and it's so difficult I can't find the motivation to keep trying

The guy who was playing on it said he had a cut and it opened during the performance.

He said it didn't hurt.

wrist slide

just like guitars can cut your strum fingers

yea but guitar players constantly strum thin strings, bleeding while playing piano is like bleeding while typing on a computer

Hmm, well I found guitar easier because once you learn a chord or scale shape, you can move it anywhere on the neck, also you don't have to read music, you can just read tabs. Plus typical guitar music isn't really that complicated except for the solos. What do you find easier on the piano, out of curiosity? Is it just the fact that you have to push down the strings on guitar and it hurts your fingers? That will go away pretty quickly.

well I've seen jamie cullum slash open his wrist live before. it is a special technique - instantly sliding down octaves but grand piano keys are really hard and if you fuck it up it'll hurt

Do you just walk in to the room and start playing?
I'm moving on campus and the thing im going to miss the most is my piano. So I can just as a non-music major just practice on the pianos there?

I like that I can play both parts (bass and treble) to a song on a piano at the same time, and just the fact that I can play one makes me prefer them.

It's hard to explain.
It's like using your native language versus a second language. I just feel more comfortable on a piano.

As for the guitar, it doesn't hurt my fingers, I just can't coordinate my fingers from one chord to another. I also can't stretch them to form some chords, and the concept of having to mute some strings or skip over them entirely really fucks with me

you should've seen my face when I first saw g# on a guitar

I supposed it could be different in your campus, but the music building in my school has about 5 or 6 rooms with upright pianos that anyone can go in and play as long as they like. There's also some grand pianos but you have to pay for the keys to those rooms. My school doesn't have a music major though, only minors.

Thumb or strum palm mute, that's easy to learn.

It's when you start playing chords with muted strings in the middle that it gets messy.

I guess we both have to keep practicing...good to know someone is having the opposite struggle I guess.

Also there are many ways to voice G#, you could just play it like so

Also any tips for piano would be appreciated

meant to post this

I'm on the same boat. Been playing piano for about 6-ish years now. I have such a hard time stretching my hands for certain formations and timing my strums correctly with chord changes. I also get this horrible buzzing or no sound at all whenever I try a barre chord. I'm using a classical guitar though. Just gotta practice more I guess.

you wouldn't want to voice it like that though, you're limiting yourself by using all your fingers

barre chords whilst holding multiple notes with just your ring finger is a technique worth developing. not only is it easier to move around the fretboard for straight up rhythm guitar but you can play flare notes with your remaining two at the same time. you will see this a lot in classical, jazz and funk guitar

i'm learning without a teacher right now

just using those alfred's books

just realised how pretentious this post is, my bad

you can learn however you want, have fun. just remember to dedicate some practice time to certain things and you'll be amazed how things that once seemed impossible and a piece of cake

Literally all I ever heard learning guitar was not to do chords this way... It's not good for your finger.

well that's simply not true, many complex chords are impossible without it

are there any good digital pianos with weighted keys for $500~?

been playing for 8 months now and feeling like my $100 keyboard isn't cutting it anymore

I did some research, and it seems like a Yamaha p115 is the best choice

i bought one of those about a month ago. it's great (at least as far as my pleb beginner hands can tell). i'd recommend getting the furniture style stand over an x-stand if you can.

The Roland FP-30 is pretty good too. Might be $600+ though.

How's this, Sup Forums?

soundcloud.com/rocksoftt/soundcloud-threads

Yeah man, there's like 25 rehearsal rooms with (severely varying quality) uprights, and a couple percussion rooms with full kits, but you need keys for those.
There's also full grand in the big band practice room but I've never gone to play it because I assume that's frowned upon.

>want to learn to play piano
>no piano or keyboard
>broke
any advice?

how broke

can get a good sized but shit midi keyboard for basically nothing

the best digital pianos can't compare to even the shittiest real piano. dynamic range and feel are totally different between the two. even moreso when using the sustain pedal.

for you guys starting out, hanon and czerny beginner exercises are the way classical students develop coordination, endurance, and finger independence. move on to mozart's well tempered clavier after that. those are your basics, and you can select whatever other pieces you want in your repertoire separately.

youtube.com/watch?v=GU5LbJBOXv4

>pedal because that would help you a lot i reckon
Not at all -- it would make things worse and enforce poor technique.

add scales.

Local college/university. Check and see if there's restricted access to the piano rooms. My school has like 30 private piano rooms. Just walk right in like you know what you're doing, sit down, and start playing.

>the best digital pianos can't compare to even the shittiest real piano. dynamic range and feel are totally different between the two. even moreso when using the sustain pedal.

I disagree. I have a Kawai CA65 and it feels way better than shit school uprights. I would say that digital is on par with the young chang upright I have at my parent's house.
No digital will ever be able to compete with a grand piano though -- I'm with you there.

Aren't hanon and czerny a little hardcore for beginners?

I'm a professional musician who can play the piano to an extent but I wish I had the time to learn properly. May not strictly be the most difficult instrument to master but there's something about pianists. I don't know, they seem to love their instrument more than anyone else, and that sounds weird from an industry perspective but it's true.

Not this guy but I wanna add that knowing what makes a chord is also very useful. Sure, it works to just memorize the fingering you need, but if you learn what the actual notes in a guitar are and how to make the basic kinds of chords like major, minor, augmented, diminished and 7th chords, you can always just figure out a fingering by yourself which I feel is very nice. And it's not too difficult to learn either.

BIG

MEATY

CLAWS

Have ya learned theory?:
Because my barely acceptable level of playing on both of those instruments is entirely because I was taught theory on other instruments before tackling either.

With piano, the biggest thing is drilling the chords and notes into your head. Which helps if you know what they are, hence theory.

And the same thing is largely true of the guitar. For both, your need to grab the muscle memory before you can get anywhere.
Personally, I just try to transpose a song I can't play. Maybe use a capo. Hence, theory.

That's all about finger strength and practice, man.

I have been learning jazz for about 4 months now, it's freaking hard god dammit.

clyp.it/dmg0whmo

something about digital just doesn't feel right. there's a crispness that real pianos have; i think it has to do with the way hammers bounce off the strings. there's also the nonlinear relationship between force and loudness, not to mention the complexities introduced by the wooden case (which is where uprights fail compare to grand pianos). that's not to say that digital pianos aren't perfectly fine for practice.

hanon shouldn't be bad for rank beginners. you're supposed to start very slowly anyway, and it's better to get started early on the ring and pinky finger. i'm still having trouble there :\

huh. i wouldn't know about the professional world. i can't think of an instrument that incorporates more coordination and is more transparent to the nuances in the player. what instrument do you play?

how long have you been playing piano? this sounds breddy good, it might help you to relax your shoulders a bit.

Whenever I press hard enough to get a sound is when my hand starts feeling like complete shit. It hurts enough that I figure this is definitely not the way I should be doing it. I can't think of any other way though.

Guitar? Yeah it hurts like hell at first. Give it a week or two.

About a decade or so, I used to play Chopin and friends but for some reason I started learning jazz because one day I got bored and decided to listen to Wes Montgomery

Hello piano friends,

what are some simple piano songs to relax myself while playing

erik satie's gymnopedie is great for that

Pjanno by Pryda

Sometimes I zone out and play the two chord intro to Chopin - Funeral March for like 15 minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2wmpVxjtu0
Might be a little complicated in terms of learning the notes and fingering, but it's very slow so it's definitely doable.

Step back nerds

I don't like convention desu, if I enjoy the sound of the piano that's good enough for me, a metronome ain't important unless I really need it.

>cant play for shit

doing fine thanks

it's good to get used to playing with one since it's industry standard

but yeah, bit like acoustic guitar it's mainly a solo expression instrument

100% noob here. love music but now wanna make it with a friend

how do i into music theory?

id want it for playing a synth

>make it with a friend
>with a friend
>friend

good luck on that

Synths can cheat with auto-key. Just mash midi keys until you find a nice melody.

musictheory.net/lessons

I have a friend and she has a guitar

I want to better myself with music theory from the get-go

can you help?

What to not do bar chords? That's just wrong. Bar chords are supper common and should be something you can do. Even more technically demanding types of music use various barring shapes to get specific chords.

He's saying not to use your ring finger as a second barre for three notes (for example C)

That's how I do it