Is there any true benefit to buying CDs now...

Is there any true benefit to buying CDs now? Does it make the music sound any better as opposed to just buying mp3s and then burning them to a CD? The only excuses I can think of is "its fun!" and "they look cool!" Vinyl records at least have a noticeable sound difference right? I wouldn't cause Ive never bought one before.

One time I heard a guy said that CDs are "less compressed" than mp3s. Is that true? Is the compression really that much of a difference?

directly supporting the artist

so i only buy CDs of albums i really like.

I mentioned explicitly "buying the mp3s and then burning them to a CD". That's not illegal, is it?

Yeah, for me it's just cool to have a physical thing of something I really like.

I meant "I wouldn't know cuz Ive never bought a vinyl record" btw

Liner notes?

Permanence?

CDs are usually only a couple more bucks than the download so might as well. Sometimes the CD is actually even cheaper. However I'll still buy the CD of its even twice as much just because I figure if I'm already shelling out the money it's still just a few more bucks even if it is twice. That's only rarely though.

Vinyl absolutely sounds worse. It's the literal rice krispies of formats.

That makes sense. Maybe I'll still buy CDs of albums i really like, but it feels like a hassle to have one shipped to you in a week instead of just having the mp3 album instantly. The only places I have near that still sell them are best buy and barnes and noble, and usually its a really surface level selection, so it feels a bit pointless to me anymore

CDs can hold different data types like mp3s. They can also hold FLAC files and be loseless, so the difference lies in the difference between those data types.

Bandcamp gives you the instant download plus the CD

If it's only like 20% more then might as well.

Good points. Guess it depends on how much you value the artistry of the album, and physical things the artist includes
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying

CDs aren't compressed. mp3s are and they're lossy but they only have a small amount of frequencies shaved off the top. If you buy/download flacs then it's identical to CD.

Ah, so if you want the best possible quality, get flacs

It can also be an investment. I don't think it happens that much if at all anymore with CDs aside from inherently valuable limited editions but still I'm pretty sure they're a better investment purchase than a file. At the very least you could still probably sell it for a loss but still end up with more money than having bought the file.

Also you can get a CD autographed.

or i could just get my tits signed.

Yeah but does that have resale value?

I just really like the physical aspect of it. When the cover art and design match the mood of the music. Also, digipack>jewelcase

What's better vinyl/records or CDs and why?

Vinyl is only better if they play tricks like locked groove etc.

Cassettes

people who buy downloads instead of physical media make me really sad because i really like physical media and i don't want it to die especially CDs

):

Technically they can never die and I'm convinced that bandcamp intends us to make our own because the album picture is literally the exact size of a cd

How about they're more convenient and portable?

That's why you de-static them you baboon

Actual legal ownership. If you download music from a legal source (which we all do, right lads?) then your legally only renting it.
Also, I work in music so I don't feel right downloading illegally, and I'm more willing to part with money to have something physical rather than computer files.