Opinions on Oasis?

Opinions on Oasis?

Are they really the greatest rock band of all time?

Yes.

Dear god OP. Have you even heard anything other than Wonderwall OP?

They are definitely not the greatest rock band of all time. They are the greatest musicians who've ever existed, period.

Post 1 good Oasis song.

Appreciate their 90's stuff but everything after that can fuck off.

I've listened to Definitely Maybe, Be Here Now, What's The Story Morning Glory and Heathen Chemistry.

LIVE FOR YOUR TOYS

my favourite band of all time.Not necessarily the best musicians but they have something about them that just makes you love them, well being from Northern England and identifying with them probably helps too

>be completely talentless
>play four chords or 4 root notes on every song
>sell 40 million records
>headline glastonbury and wembley stadium
>tfw you will never be Bonehead or Guigsy

luckiest bastards ever

Slide Away is their best tune, the emotion on Liam's voice is unreal.

> Sell 40 million records
> only 7 million people in the world

how is they not GOAT

OP here
Meant to write gayest not greatest

Wonderball

You're obviously not OP, faggot.

> implying oasis would have gotten anywhere without Bonehead and Guigsy.

They started the band and then Liam joined mate, without them its probable nothing would ever had happened.

Plus I've met Bonehead in Manchester, you can immediately tell why he was part of it, his charisma is fucking brilliant. Great lovely humble lad

I don't miss that meme

>his charisma is fucking brilliant

I don't doubt that, you need balls of steel to play in an arena-filling rockband. sure they are both nice guys

however, probably the least talented yet most successful musicians ever

sid vicious ;)

did you know Bonehead was a part of pizzagate

Blink-182 could take that spot?

I even like those guys a lot but like 2/3 of their stuff is pretty much power chords doing the same chord progression every chorus.

anyways heres wonderwal

>probably the least talented yet most successful musicians ever

Definitely out of Manchester.

John Squire was an amazing guitarist with an extremely good rhythm section. Johnny Marr was a composing genius. All Oasis really had going for them was Noel's melodies and a bad boy image and it worked.

Liam wrote some fucking tunes as well.

Songbird is arguably their best post 90s + Little James and I'm Outta Time are swan songs.

>Are they really the greatest rock band of all time?

as a huge oasis fan I wouldn't say they're that good. probably somewhere in the top 5-15 though.

the masterplan

>probably the least talented yet most successful musicians ever

liam is one of the best rock vocalists ever and noel wrote some of the most memorable choruses ever. both very talented

an example of an untalented successful musician is lou reed. he was an untalented fuck who made shitty music but got famous for whatever reason

>Definitely out of Manchester.
>who is Ian Curtis

Seriously, Squire has to be one of the most underrated players of all time, he's incredible

yeah he plays in cursive

Glad someone agrees, criminally underrated and one of Britain's best ever imho.

If only he didn't retire early to fucking paint pictures.

Good 90's rock band. Nothing more. Enjoyable to listen to when you are chilling or driving and shit.

The Masterplan
Acquiesce
Half the World Away
Talk Tonight

All B-sides.

I like Squire but for all his technicality he doesn't have any emotion in his playing to temper his ability.

I like those kinda guitarists 2bh, pure professionals who never cock up.

Ian Brown was a good frontman so just let Squire stand there and shred.

Pulp were a better Britpop band.

Few people would deny that.

This. I feel the same way about the rhythm guitarist and bass player in Weezer and Foo Fighter's 3rd guitarist and bass player. They do virtually nothing and live people's wildest dreams just by being lucky to ride a great songwriters coattails.

I hope you're not referring to Matt Sharp.

Don't think that was implied though m8. He's just saying they have a fucking easy job. I think Bonehead's blaring rhythm guitar sound was a big part of Oasis' sound. Just huge sounding fuzzy open chords. Nothing technical or especially imaginative. But it was sorely missed on the majority of their post 90s material.

He was easily their best bass player, and did more than the guys who followed him. The dude they have now is fucking lame. That being said, he still had a pretty easy gig in Weezer. The Rentals are dope though.

You at least need the nerve to perform I guess. In fact iirc that's why Oasis's bassist left, he couldn't handle the pressure and touring stress. Then Bonehead left shortly after.

Funny how suddenly Archer, a proper guitarist, immediately took on all the lead parts. Shows how shoddy they were musically.

>is in weezer
>releases an album by his own band following weezer's success
>never would have been noticed otherwise
>only has modest success anyway

Yeah, he definitely rode Rivers' coattails as far as he could. Maybe if he had been half as good a songwriter he would have done more.

Keep in mind, I'm not slamming them in any way. I'm honestly jealous. It's one thing to be in a band and have to tour and play every night. It's a whole different thing to be the lead singer/songwriter/guitarist of that band.

My point is that to be a Bonehead or a Matt Sharp is a lot more carefree than being a Noel Gallagher or Rivers Cuomo.

I think the stress had more to do with being in such a huge band with such strong personalities as the Gallaghers. Also I believe Bonehead and Guigsy had families already which would make being on the road 10x more stressful and dreadful.

I don't think playing simple 4 chord songs in front of thousands of adoring fans would cause much pain and agony though.

Yeah he absolutely rode Rivers' coattails, I'm not denying it but if you look at the time he was in Weezer, he was the band's personality, just look at any of that era's live performances and interviews. He was what made the band fun and not just a Rivers mope-a-thon.

Also, I like Return of the Rentals, he's a decent songwriter.

I completely forgot about the drummer they kicked out too. Seemed fine on Definitely Maybe and their work has never been complex in that regard so I wonder if secretly they fell out after instead of the "he wasn't good enough" reason.

Not to discredit Alan White though, he's good. Hard not to be when his older brother is arguably the best session drummer in the country.

>

All around the world

They're a bunch of talentless hacks.

they are a fucking bore

their frontman is a wanker

they obviously think because they are popular they're actually good at what they do

Damn op do you really to ask question? Ofc

>their frontman is a wanker
Of he's a wanker; it wouldn't work if we was trying to be your best mate all the time

not even the greatest band for me.

From what I've heard they didn't get along too much with the original drummer. He was quiet and more introverted, plus he already had a family. But I also think his skill was part of it. Like you said, they were never complex. But Alan White brought a lot to the table for Morning Glory that couldn't have been done with McCarroll. The drum fills on "Don't Look Back in Anger" for one example. It's not a lot, but still. McCarroll was like a bad Punk drummer who only played slow songs.

>their frontman is a wanker

liam's alright now, it was all part of the 90s "rock and roll" act

noel is the pretentious wanker strolling around on water (and tbf he did make oasis)

What? I've seen recent interviews with Liam and he still acts like a too cool for school douche bag brat. It's ok though since he's the frontman. But he comes off as an absolute brain dead moron.

Noel has always been more grounded in reality and is funny as fuck and can be humble when he wants. He's just opinionated and likes to call out bands he doesn't like.so people think he's a dick.

oh yeah he's still a tool, but not aggressive or chavy like he used to be. friendly with the public though.

noel has no time for anyone but himself and promotion, tells fans to fuck off etc.

Lolwut. Everyone knows Noel was the brains of the band.

I never listen to anything produced by people with monobrows

obviously, look how shite beady eye were. rightly or so noel thinks he's gods gift to the 90s/00s generation of rock music.

>h yeah he's still a tool, but not aggressive or chavy like he used to be. friendly with the public though.

Fair enough.

>Noel has no time for anyone but himself and promotion, tells fans to fuck off etc.

Were you snubbed by him personally or something? You can't always expect celebrities to be gracious 24/7. For any happy story someone has about a celebrity being nice and gracious there's bound to be another saying they're a twat.

Anyway, strictly speaking in terms of personality in interviews and whatnot I think Noel seems like a nice and fun guy. He's like a British Dave Grohl but instead of putting on this BS persona he's not afraid to be a bit cocky at times.

I listened to "what's the story, morning glory" and it was boring as shit besides "don't look back in anger" which is, admittedly, a great song. I intend to listen to definitely maybe before rendering a final judgment

I just know lol, not ashamed to say I've been an oasis fan and followed these guys for a very very long time.

yeah noel is funny and really witty, mainly with his mates on talksport or journalists he likes. guarantee if you approached him in the street he'd tell you where to put it though. fucking grumpy git deep down