how does Sup Forums feel about python ?

> how does Sup Forums feel about python ?

It's a good coding language I guess? Come on, what kind of question is this shit.

I need muh curly braces so python can suck a dick

BURN IT

It's for noobs. Assembly is the only way to go if you want to have a future as a programmer.

>implying creating cisc and risc instruction sets are the only way to go in programming.

Sup Forums is that way

Yes, they are. I do SSE, SSE2, SIMD, and so many more aswell. It really gives you an idea what's actually going on, and there are no real compiler issues either, due to the relative simplicity of it.

Id rather learn something useful like Java

Mfw the trolls in this thread

You probably think C++ is an efficient way to program.

/thread

is it not?

>30 year old compiler
>Having to write your method signatures twice
>Manual memory management
Just kill yourself.

As a matter of fact, I do. The assembly talk was shits and giggles, even though I have had a few cases where a line of assembly was needed. I don't do what y'all would call "normal programs" for Windows. I mostly do MCUs and other niche stuff, so C++, and even plain C, lua or python.

I don't see how lua or Python fit into that crowd.

Its good for homework excercises in college. That is why teachers love it...

Interpreted languages in general are nice for testing syntax independently of a program.

Other than that, its significantly slower than Java, offers less control of memory, and uses indentation for formatting (super error prone).

But ive only been programming for like 5 years. Im sure there is a super vet who can offer more.

>inb4 only as error prone as author

epic meme my friend

C/C++ for MCUs, Lua for niche stuff, like industrial automation.

Most real universities worth their salt use Python for small homework excercises and Java for anything involved or important. You will do a lot of C in a Unix or operating systems class (C is the ONLY real systems programming language), and maybe C++ in a computer graphics course, but Java is fast becoming the general purpose programming language of the world, with Python serving as a great way to learn programming, C staying confined to low latency projects (like operating systems), and JS staying the main language of the internets (for now). Fun-fact: Javascript is the most popular programming language in the world. I wonder what the metric was for that, though...

Ah.

It only runtime environments weren't going down the shitter Java would actually be a good idea.

pretty good language, great for teaching beginners as well

Who cares? It's a programming language. It's useful for things.

The only thing that makes JavaScript bearable is typescript.

I forgot to mention the greatest feature of Java, the exception handler, courtesy of the JRE. Speaking of which, how are they going down the shitter? Just curious... I havent personally experienced any problems.

What does "main language of the internets" even mean? Maybe some front end stuff, which is mostly used with jQuery anyway. Most backends use PHP, a few use ASP as well. CSS3 has taken over quite a bit from JS, a lot doesn't require it anymore.

Agreed... I think it is a disgusting language, but in an attempt to scurry and get all the skills employers are looking for nowadays, I decided to learn it and stumbled upon that little fact.... all the more evidence that the industry is in crisis mode, since most devs seem to think it is a great idea to run every fucking server with js

It's useful for people who primarily aren't programmers

It's not great, but it's good enough.
specially for doing science that isn't computer science

Well for one, Apple is dropping them like a rock, and like it or not you saw what they did to flash. Secondly, plugins and all that in-browser stuff like silverlight are getting dropped by Microsoft and w3c and shit. It's become inevitable.

CSS is less of a programming language, and more of a library/data sheet for the browser to pull from. As far as interactivity goes, JS is becoming the undisputed champion. PHP does indeed still run lots of places, but everyone is in a rush to move onto the MEAN stack because "mongoDB scales" and they dont know the difference between the back-end and the dick being inserted into their back-ends. Node is fast becoming the most popular server-side request handler

I didnt know all that. I wonder why that is the current trend. I feel like this is a stunt by those companies to eliminate cross-platform languages altogether, but without evidence, it is only a gut-feel. I wonder how Netflix will take that.

I know your pain bro. Rest drives me nuts at work, WCF is too verbose but at least it was type safe.

Also exception handling is not unique to the jre.

Python = GAY

Java = FAGGOT

Perl = NIGGER

Php = TRANNY

Javascript = TRAP

Ruby = MAN

What, how do you even run servers on JS? Brb I'm gonna check on my compiler that I wrote myself, runs on HTML5

It's this "put it on the app store" meme that Microsoft and apple keep pushing.

What about c# senpai?

It's a good programming language to introduce people into programming. After they learn python well enough, it'll be easier to get them to learn other, more complicated programming languages.

did... do you actually use Ruby? hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Newest version of C++ includes garbage collection, and C++ has always had the new keyword. Manual memory management is moving towards being optional with C++.

print("you're a faggot")

Do you even NodeJS?

I actually really like strongly typed languages. Admittedly it drove me batty with Java at first, but I realized the value pretty quickly.

I feel like it can't last, at least not for microsoft. Java will always be *popular because of Android. Whether it remains cross-platform is a different story, of course, but I just can't see it disappearing. Oracle will continue to make Win and OSX ports of the JRE.

Do you have to call GC.Collect() every five lines?

I'd still say C is better at that. Proper syntax is what gets the job done, you don't want to be scratching your head for half an hour because you made a typo. Hurr durr = and ==

You also realize that Java isn't the only strongly typed language right?

Yea but apple is also dropping open gl for metal despite being the first platform to support it

lol

I don't know actually. I read a summary of their most recent release and didn't bother digging into how they did it. The language is enough of a clusterfuck that I didn't bother.

Almost all of my work is in Python or C, but I "learned C++" in college. I haven't used C++ since then.

I learned a bit of python, but I'm more of a c# fan but hey, whatever gets the job done.

Eyo /b whats a really begginer coding language. I learnt a bit of python but it was really boring. Any suggestions only trying to make summer productive

I like it. I like C++ more tho.

Python is the easiest, it's what I started with.

/thread

c++ / cuda for core apps with python for scripting and visualization

> multi physics simulations

The brand the masses purchase get to decide what technologies live and die.

Ur a faget.

I've never gotten into Node.js, just heard about it. Did some research and it seemed okay. But how did one come to using JS to run a web server is quite beyond me. As it seems it's just a kernel of a kind, trying to run things in parallel instead of sequentially.

You too, user.

What is python useful for ?

Egg and bacon; Egg, sausage and bacon; Egg and Spam; Egg, bacon and Spam; Egg, bacon, sausage and Spam; Spam, bacon, ...

NodeJS:

- stinks more than a nigger's shit

- is even more mongoloid than mongodb

- only attracts failed gay Pythonists

Its for dummies who cant get their head around haskel

Of you're just starting to code, it's useful for learning the terminology and getting in the coding mindset. Start with python and move on to other languages, C++ or Java or something. Other than that, just easy scripting.

Rapid prototyping is a common use; verify program logic quickly with python, built up into a larger application with another language after.

It's the main language for the OpenStack project (free & open source AWS knock-off from NASA). It's also really popular for data analytics, alongside java.

>What are programming languages useful for
wat? You can create programs, that do whatever you want within the bounds of the given system.
Or did I understand your question wrong?

Smart pointers, negro.

He meant what advantages does python have over other languages, tard.

Django w/ rest framework is very useful you horrible troll bosses

wat

there is an optional GC thing in C++11 that nobody implements.
unless you're talking about smart points which aren't really GC

Why is Ruby on Rails dying?
I've started learning it this year, years after the hype has faded, and I can't for the life of me understand why dirty languages like PHP are still more used than Ruby?

It took me a solid minute to understand what you just said. My brain must be running on java

Python, Java, Go, PHP, Javascript, Basic, fall in that category of programming languages explicitly designed to make shitty programmers able to monkeycode stuff.

Any monkey could code in those languages and ship production code (albeit at bull shit quality).

If you want to challenge yourself on a good programming language, you should go either for some academic level wizardry (elixir, ml, pony...) or for some final boss (rust, c++11).

Enlighten me please, I still don't get it. Who's a horrible troll boss and why? Wat?

Java, dude, it's fucking everywhere

>also simple as fuck to learn

Most people in here are just saying shit because they're fanboys of something or other. Pretty much all languages have their usefulness.

What about HDL?

What do you think of Haskell?

Someone asked if python was useful, i responded with one example. Nevermind the fact that python has shitloads of useful modules to build on

meme language.
No curly braces, mandatory indentation, version incompatibilities, slow af, shit OO model.
Only non-programmers like to use it. Real programmers use languages that employ the solid foundation laid out by based Ritchie and Stroustrup.

I program in COBOL, I have a $ 10k salary by maintaining a legacy bank system.
Am I a noob?

I got hit by the Rails trend when they shipped 1.0... I learnt Ruby, and it solved such a number of problems in my job, that my boss asked me to teach Ruby to my coworkers.

Then Rails 2, 3, and so on, and I always told "as soon as I'll have some spare time..."

And now, I just think that learning a fading thing is somewhat useless.

Perl, Python and others only survive because of their wide available library of gadgets.

Nope. You just know the right programming language for your work environment.

I think at the top universities, Python is used for most projects/assignments with C/C++ used for more project based classes. Java isn't used as much elsewhere except the Data structures course

I haven't gotten into FPGAs yet, but planning to. Collecting test instruments atm, just got 2 Agilent 6643s.

As a primarily c/c++ programmer, I find python useful for quickly whipping up a script to do something simple and to get it written fast. Not every problem is a nail, but when the only tool you have is a hammer, DRILLS SUCK OMG.

Fucking trash. No intelligent person uses it.

>And now, I just think that learning a fading thing is somewhat useless.

Yes, it was a stupid thing for me to do, but I was asking why such a great framework, with clean, high-level syntax is just fading and PHP and the like are still very popular?
It's such a shame...

thats the easiest possible

Php is "popular" because there's still a shitton websites using it.

Do you remember when Facebook in 2009 served some 400 millions users ...using PHP ??!

>Programming language elitism

Unless you're a fucking professional programmer, the advantages of languages like C++ over much easier to use and simpler ones like Python are nothing for you to worry about.
I learned C in university, C++ after uni, and then Python way after that. Python is by far my favorite right now, mainly because I can produce programs literally TEN times faster. Of course if I worked for NASA and I was writing the program that calculated how to get a spaceship to Mars safely, then I wouldn't use Python. But there is no one like that in this thread.

>Programs in COBOL
>Has a 10k salary
>maintains a bank system
>Is not aware of the assembly meme/joke

ruby isnt the php level of dirty, but it is still dirty, compared to python.
python code is super expressive, coding styles are aimed at clear understanding and proper readability.
ruby has so much implicit meaning, so many horrible design decisions (missing the big 2to3 step that python went through to fix up theirs)

Yeah, PHP will be the next generation's COBOL

I've been coding for 30 years and started using it at work a few weeks back

I like it, its neat. Its frustrating that you don't catch a whole class of silly mistakes until runtime though. I have unit-tests of course but its still annoying that you've basically shifted a whole class of error-detection from compile-time to run-time.

I feel that way too.

They're just tools ya know. At any respectable CS uni, you'll be learning/using Python/C++/C/Java for a myriad of things.

I don't get why people like to put themselves in boxes

>herr derr I'm a fresh out of college java programmer
>herr derr I don't even know how to use most of Java 8

Whats the best web framework in Python you could recommend me?

That's bullshit faggot, ton of SF startups doing node backend these days

where is a good place to learn Python fast and free??

Not who you were asking but I'm a programmer in SF.

To learn how web stuff works. I would recommend Flask or Pyramid. To just build stuff and learn about it later, Django.

>I don't get why people like to put themselves in boxes
You've gotta be the master of one trade.
You can't tell a company that you've done some basic shit in 50 languages but no big/interesting projects because of your lack of knowledge.
I've been using Java as my primary for about 2 years and I am currently working on building a search engine for the onion websites as semester project. The programming part isn't even a big deal for me because I am pretty good at the language. I have to worry only about nailing the algorithm.

it's honestly shit but is what memersity is teaching so it must be cool.

If you want to actually program something then learn C. It's simple, gives more control, and doesn't need 10 lines to return a char from stdin. Also if you want a job that's not webdev... C.

If you're up for adventure then Scheme is a good start before Common Lisp, &c. and even if it's not used as much as the other languages... the tricks you pick up from it will make your life a lot easier.

If you enjoy maths then Haskell is the tool you'll enjoy (Idris is you are an elitist prick), it's simple, type safe (life jacket that slaps you everytime you do something wrong and shouts at you until it's fixed), and comes with a lot of libraries for almost anything you'd want to do.

If all of the above are too "high level" for you then FORTH is a good choie; simple, close to the metal, and a lot better than C for most things. FORTH is like haskell in the way you design your programs... most of the work is in your head, not your editor, as you build your programs. Managing the stack is just like currying in haskell (well feels like it) and you'll find haskell easier if you learn it (also forth is easier after haskell. YOu can also drop to ASM if you'd like as the language includes a compiler and assembler in the interactive environment.

Any questions... ask away

Automate the Boring Stuff

Use Python how it's supposed to be used.
Small programs, not super large projects

django is for python what rails is for ruby.
but that comparison only holds for size.

you should be prepared to spend atleast a couple of days reading their (excellent, btw) documentation - there arent a lot of surprised there (like in the case of rails), yet a huge load of work and potential errors can be avoided if you know how stuff works

Perl is wonderful.

>pic

I like C though.