I need a smart guy here

I need a smart guy here.

A single strand of silk (in this case silk from a spider's web) that is 1/10 the size of a strand of hair, can stop an insect that is going 15mph.
And if it were an inch thick in diameter, it would be very very strong. enough to stop something going hundreds of miles per hour. So if you were to collect a Spider in a jar, feed it and stuff, could you somehow roll up the spider's webs on a regular basis and somehow keep it in shape of strand, whilst getting the collection thicker and thicker, eventually getting it to an unbreakable point?
Sorry if I phrased this like retard. Just something im trying to type as im thinking it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomimetics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

go to bed summer

Sorry friend, no summer fag here.

sort of but not quite. You made some assumptions that are intuitively sound but not experimentally sound. For example, an insect going 15mph has a momentum equal to its mass times velocity. Impact with the web takes place over an interval of time (less than a second), which, divided into momentum will give you your impulse. NOW if you expand the strand of spider silk to an inch diameter, you would use the factor of "enlargement" to calculate the new impulse you could survive (if I am correct, though it feels like I am missing a step) and thus calculate the speed for an object of a certain mass, assuming that impact will still take the same amount of time (which it will probably be bigger, in fact, due to the larger momentum).

You are saying this quite comfortably behind your computer screen aren't you? Sitting in your 300$ gaming chair that mom bought for you, whilst sipping on hot cocoa and having tabs on the "latest anime episodes", weaaboo music playing in the backround on full blast and mlp tabbed. Ah, quite comfy, ain't it. Anonymity sure is great. You can say whatever you want because no one will know who you truly are.

You believe you are hardened. An edgy hero. But in reality, you are really just scum. A useless shit stain. A waste of space. No purpose in life other than to leech off of the hard work of others. People like you need to be eradicated. The world doesn't need your shit. You are better off dead, faggot.

Is this a meme now? I just saw this in another thread.

You weave it you dipshit

but how do you weave it? surely barely touching it will destroy it

I heard that a strand as thick as a pencil could hold back a 747 at full thrust.

Not sure if that was if you were to scale up a single web strand, or if it was a rope literally that thick made from loads of strands though.

They're studying how to make body armors based on spider silk.

Yeah for real.

Pull legs off spider. Glue it to stick. Use it as a loom shuttle thingy.

And making goats produce it in their milk too or something.

I've heard that as well

bumping for interest

Theoretically yes, Im not a Physicist or an expert by any means, but I am undeniably smart, though not a genius; but i digress, Assuming that you are able to get the silk undamaged you'd need to take an extremely large amount of the silk to weave it into a rope like structure and then turn that into some sort of net. However, I'm pretty sure that Ropes and such have diminishing returns when using more of a material. You'd also need to know the Tensile strength of silk and then use that to figure out the tensile strength of the rope of the spider silk and also tensile strength of the spider silk rope net. You could use that value to find out how much force and pressure can be applied to the net/mesh and then after that you could use dimensional analysis to find out the maximum momentum that can be stopped by a mesh/net of spider silk rope of a certain size and rope radius.
JFC I'm a fucking nerd

wwjd

what would jesus do?

i asked you first

ITT, children try to sound sophisticated and refined with cringeworthy sentence structure and non-science.

So it spider silk is stronger than steel and jet fuel can melt spider silk, why can't jet fuel melt steel beams?

Maybe it is adults, just high as fuck on weed. Sounds like a stoner idea

I'm not a kid, I just didn't edit my post before i posted it. Yeah, my sentence structure was cancerous but that doesnt make what i said untrue

It's called biomimicry OP, we're designing a lot of shit from nature and finding that it works better than anything we've ever tried to invent on our own.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomimetics
This has a full list of existing and possible future uses.

Terribly underrated comment thread

gave good chuckle

because the melting point doesn't have anything to do with strength or ductility. it has to do with material. Spider silk is probably made ith hydrogen oxygen and carbons, and those are pretty easy to oxidize, whereas a Iron-Carbon alloy thing is not easy to melt. its extremely strong, however, steel beams become easily bendable at the Temp that jet fuel melts.