Cannes day 6

Cannes day 6.
Today Loving and Personal Shopper.

Loving morning screening just ended, you can check twitter for the first reactions

Other urls found in this thread:

fandor.com/keyframe/category/daily
todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
wask.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Grille_Cannes2016_wask.pdf
screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/cannes-toni-erdmann-sets-screen-jury-grid-record/5103942.article
ioncinema.com/news/film-festivals/2016-cannes-critics-panel-day-4-the-jokes-on-you-with-maren-ade-toni-erdmann
icsfilm.org/features/cannes-2016-the-grid/
lefilmfrancais.com/tags/3094/etoiles-de-la-critique
youtube.com/watch?v=bMq1PiUbf-M
fandor.com/keyframe/daily-cannes-2016-pablo-larrains-neruda.
todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2015
twitter.com/THR/status/732253808504545281
cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/2016?t=1#1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Loving has middling/bad reviews.

Fandor review roundups: fandor.com/keyframe/category/daily
micropsia poll: todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
Screening times: wask.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Grille_Cannes2016_wask.pdf

i haven't been following cans this year. anything genuinely good yet?

toni erdman and paterson seems to be the favorite for now

Well What I read from french critics at least is that they either love it or hate it. No mixed critic at all.
Some were moved to tears, some think Nichols showed a complete lack of style.
I believe it's because Loving isn't about the big story of racism but simply about the daily life of an interracial couple. They can't handle Nichols simplicity, they want the big show.

The various polls:
screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/cannes-toni-erdmann-sets-screen-jury-grid-record/5103942.article
ioncinema.com/news/film-festivals/2016-cannes-critics-panel-day-4-the-jokes-on-you-with-maren-ade-toni-erdmann
icsfilm.org/features/cannes-2016-the-grid/
lefilmfrancais.com/tags/3094/etoiles-de-la-critique

thanks. jarmusch is in good form? cool.

what
does
the
acronym mean

tell me

please god in heaven above

ill stop calling you people pedophiles if you just tell me what it means

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

impressive, very nice

lurk moar

So Loving is getting shat on?

I only see Clouds of Sils-Maria mentioned here in waifu threads, but it was a brilliant, underrated film, so I've got hopes for Personal Shopper

Paterson looks like Night on Earth for me

>The Handmaiden
i didn't expected that low

Who's the Leicester this year, lads?

I want to see the press reviews of the Neon Demon, i don't know if will be good or bad but will be fun to talk about it

even as a non NFW fan this is clearly what art should do.

Cannes brings out the worst in critics, they live in a small bubble, the context feeds their ego for a week to delirious levels of vulgarity. It also reveals that most of them are simply awful at their job, they behave like children, any critic's tweeter is usually filled with narcissistic bullshit and objective shit taste. Time is always the best judge of a film's merits. And most of the films shown at Cannes get forgotten a week later. The typical contempt for pop cinema or empty stylists mean nothing. PCW and NWR are the obvious outsiders this year, they're the punks, and they're also the most talented visually. Of fucking course a horror film about cannibalism and lolitas or a throwback to 70's Jap pinku BDSM/lesbian films aren't going to generate a consensus from middle-aged out-of-touch morons trying to impress each other with a false aura of "grown man taste" respectability and gimmicky spiteful reviews for whatever doesn't fit their narrow world views.

The element of surprise is always the jury. Miller is a visual punk as well. You can be certain where his sensibilities belong. But even when you get a guy like him in the jury, the rest of them are usually retarded French actresses or clueless Iranian directors who are only there for political reasons.

People like PWC and NWR get pity "best director" awards but they'll never get it for best films, even though everybody agrees their skills and visions are far ahead of others. Cannes is fucking trash, it's filled with enemies of cinema.

NFW*

NWR**

Did you fellas enjoy this little ditty?

youtube.com/watch?v=bMq1PiUbf-M

American Honey is being praised in letterboxd

i wouldn't trust letterboxd desu
Critics seems to either love it or hate it

I'm only following the Cinema Scope guys at Cannes.

Blake Williams @Astrostic
Loving (3.9): How do you make a movie about this case, in 2016, that is this devoid of vitality. Feels like a robot made it.

Blake Williams @Astrostic
American Honey (4.1): I know Andrea Arnold has been to America, perhaps even many times, but like, HAS SHE?

Jordan Cronk @JordanCronk
LOVING (Nichols): Gotta assume material dictated the form here. But there's no excuse for this being so dramatically inert. C- #Cannes2016

Jordan Cronk @JordanCronk
AMERICAN HONEY (Arnold): This is an actual movie. It exists. I've seen it. I cannot un-see it. [D] #Cannes2016

jesus

Cinema Scope @CinemaScopeMag
MIMOSAS: BIRDSONG featuring Lisandro Alonso and Nicólas Pereda.

>in 2016
nice memes

>these pass as "serious film critics"

If you actually read their reviews.

just discovered there's new Larrain (Neruda) on Directors Fortnight today
cant wait for reviews

It screened 3 days ago. Reviews are lukewarm. fandor.com/keyframe/daily-cannes-2016-pablo-larrains-neruda. 5.67/10 on the Apichatpoll

The Club was very good, i will watch this anyway

Good

Pablo Larrain is the fucking chilean Tom Hooper

I'm glad Paterson is getting such rave reviews. not surprised by Loving getting (semi-) panned.

primarily by Eli Hayes, who, truth be told, lacks any sort of critical judgement. not saying it's bad (I've obviously not seen it) nor that he isn't allowed to like it (art is subjective) but he likes eeeeverything. him endorsing a film says as much as a starving homeless man saying "this is the best hamburger I've tasted!"

kek, so far his worst rating is 3/5

Some critics said was too long and repetitive

I just can't take him seriously.

I don't know this guy but would it not be reasonable to think that he goes out of hsi way to see good/interesting films?

Who, at Cannes, believes Park and Refn aren't talented and skillful directors. 'Oldboy' received the Grand Prix, and Drive won 'Refn' Best Director. Most directors would kill, not only to premiere their film at Cannes, but to also win those awards.

AND isn't PCW's film a front runner for the Palme d'Or, atm?

For The Handmaiden? i doubt it

so does every reasonably intelligent movie-goer, but if you watch and rate 2 500 films, it's not realistic that >50% of the films are 4/5 or more -- especially not if you want to write about films professionally (he covered Cannes for Way Too Indie last year and gave every film he watched at least 8.5/10). in a sense I'm jealous of him; I wish I could enjoy everything as much as he (supposedly) does, but I think a critic (an aspiring one, too) is questionable if he gives the first 50 films in his "best of 2015" a 5/5 or 4.5/5. maybe it's just me that's unrealistically bothered by it, but yeah, it annoys me.

Way Too Indie is not reputable site. I met one of their critics and he was only interested in big name films with celebrities.

if it was 3.5/5 would it be better? if he shifted everything one point or two points to the left woudl it be ok? (don't get me wrong I agree that giving so many films 5/5 or 4.5/5 is ridiculous)

If you want to give faire ratings, your ratings are supposed to have a normal repartition ( like pic related ). The peak should be at 2.5/5, while i agree that he should seek movies he enjoy, and shifting the courb to the right is reasonnable, for him it's too much. His peak is at 4/5, so it doesn't leave enough margin for precision in his rating. If it was at 3 or 3.5 it would be better imo.

is hong sang soo really making another movie with isabelle huppert at cannes? i read it somewhere but didn't see many people talking about it.

if most of his ratings were 3.5 with a few 3 and a few 4 and then very very few past either end would that be acceptable or shud it be most 3

Man, it's a shame that Loving is getting shit on, i wanted Nichols to finally break into into Oscar game and that seemed like a perfect movie for it. Great casting too, everyone looked exactly like real-life counterparts

They know jack shit about their hobby

todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2015

They have pretty mainstream taste for so-called "highbrow"critics. It's pretty much the Senses of Cinema end of the year poll without films that were screened outside of Cannes.

>those average ratings
Wew, that's criminal

>The Assassin
>8.89
Jesus, I can't deny it's a beautiful film, but why it's so highly praised? There is clearly an enormous bias towards certain directors.

>All those 10s for Carol and The Assassin
They shouldn't be given like candy

depends on ppl, plus on letterboxd it starts at 0.5, so the median is 3 instead of 2.5, so 3.5 is fine.

I dont keep up with these festivals, but is my fav qt director Nicolas Maduro Refn showing Neon Demon there?

Yes, expect trashing.

I don't give many 10s, maybe 1 10 every 100 films or something but I would seriously consider giving the assassin a 10.

>rating art
The biggest meme of our times.

There's nothing wrong in rating art

Caring about those precious percentages on RT is wrong.

I don't like it in theory but we have to, people only have so much time especially if you don't work in the industry.

So basically

>not MUH EDGY FLICK THAT APPEALS TO BLM

Oh please, can we not do the "critics are dishonest and dumb" dismissals? Film festivals are built on small scale intimate dramas. Maybe it just isn't amazing

The main criticism I've read is that it's ok but way too long, the good parts spread too thin

even though loving isn't doing that well in cannes it'll do well in the u.s. it'll probably get oscar noms just because muh diversity
twitter.com/THR/status/732253808504545281

It was a good film. I don't think it was brilliant, but it was good.

If something itll be catnip for the Academy. Critics are irrelevant when it comes to industry awards

It is, the journalist which is covering Cannes for my country said that it was the most applaused movie and seems that Miller loved it.

Not quite. In many stages of the 'race', the critical consensus has weight.

It can win something, but it's not exactly loved by the Critics. I'm guessing Miller could enjoy it.

>The Assasin

I find this shocking, i searched about this movie on internet and everyobody found it boring and pretty bad

cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/2016?t=1#1

how comes Elle already got one review ?

How does it feel that capeshit is more culturally relevant than any film in this competition?

i think nobody really cares about capeshit here
if you ask me, i want that generic bubble to burst, it's sad when film studios like warner don't want to make more original films just for make more capeshit

(You)

Yes. He's filming it on site.

>AND isn't PCW's film a front runner for the Palme d'Or, atm?

No. But PCW/Refn fanboys are going to believe whatever they want, anyway.

Not sure what your intuition of "mainstream" is. There's more of an inverse correlation between what they rate highly and what's rated highly on, say, imdb/letterboxd. Check out how The Assassin, The Other Side or One Floor Below fare compared to Sicario.

Yes, if you take Senses to be "mainstream" then you'd be right. Quite a handful of people that are on the poll also take part in the Senses poll. But it's one of the last publications on my mind when I think of the word "mainstream". If your issue is how the poll is regarded as "highbrow", then just dispense with the word entirely.

Are Europeans allowed to make right-wing nationalist films? Could a film like Die Nibelungen be made today?
I'm not even Sup Forums, but it seems like 99% of filmmakers lean to the left. And the only ones allowed to make nationalist cinema are from former colonies or other poor countries.

That's just because all the right-wing filmmakers are dumbasses.

I'm sure there are tons of examples of that in modern Russian cinema.

Nice assumption, tumblr.

Dheepan wasn't loved by the critics and got the Palm d'Or

>allowed
That's not what it's about faggot. It's called the free market. People don't wanna pay for that shit. If you're really seriously conservative nationalist you'd be against globalist big business like Hollywood anyway.

There was a press screening few weeks ago in paris. The movie is already reviewed in the May issue of les cahiers and positif

first you have to question who would make those films, who would fund them and who would star in them. That pool of people is pretty low, that's why you're not seeing them.

There are examples though: those Ayn Rand films were privately funded by conservatives and probably did well enough. Never saw them though. They probably aren't overtly conservative.

Just barely though. Mad Max is a prime example but that was quite beloved by the industry. And American critics are mostly cucks so they'll just promote it in the end of the year awards

if you have friends that actually care about capeshit that says something about your social circle and the people you choose to hang out with. No one my age that I know cares about that stuff.

I hope dumb amerilards don't crap on it. They've never understood maestro Verhoeven

>People don't wanna pay for that shit
I though we are talking about art film. People also don't care about them. And yet, what won the Berlin? A documentary about refugees. It's something that really bother me because it seems like the modern auteurs are really out of touch with reality.

More like reality isn't as good as it was 20 years ago

>modern auteurs are really out of touch with reality
I genuinely don't know what you mean by this. Surely making a documentry about refugees is the result of someone who is aware of contemporary problems?

Why aren't there any films portraying the dangers of mass immigration? Right wing parties are getting more popular, people are becoming more conservative. Why is this not reflected in the movies?

Alright, this is just Sup Forums shit. Surely you can't be surprised that 99.99999% of filmmakers making art films all (strongly) lean to the left. If you want something equivalent to the right-wing Michael Moore, just look up whoever's affiliated with Putin.

>Right wing parties are getting more popular
maybe in some countries, in others not
>people are becoming more conservative
i doubt this talking in general

It does take a lot to catch up. Many of these films were shot in early to mid 2015, some in 2014. Around that time, no one cared for the rise of the right wing. Besides, this is unfortunately a very left leaning industry. It will however probably change when Turmp gets elected to office.

>it will however probably change when Trump gets elected to office.
Even if trump gets elected, which he wont, how will he suddenly make artists change their political views?

rip cannes thread day 6

Art reflects the state of the society.

I'm seriously questioning Hillary's chances desu.

It had a good run. Sup Forums ruins everything.

You don't think artists will be reactionary against trump? Unless you think that Trump will ban certain types of films which seems outside even his insanity.

I don't blame them, capeshit gets a lot of attention on the social media actually, somethig i dont understand at this point when everything is the same

still ~3 hours until we hear anything about Personal Shopper, at least Sup Forums will bump it until then