Q U E S T I O N :

Who are the top 5 non-quarterback players active in the NFL after the year 2000?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4Bmjh7mXvU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rex grossman
Ricky Williams
Jarryd Hyne
Ricky Moss
Rex Ryan

1. JJ Watt

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Ladanian Tomlison

4. Champ Bailey

5. Randy Moss.

Ray Lewis
Jonathan Ogden
Steve Smith
Charles Woodson
Adrien Peterson

Interesting that the answers differ pretty heavily, much more so than when similar questions are asked about the nba it seems

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

bump

ladanian tomlinson
adrian peterson
randy moss
joe thomas
rob gronkowski

LT
MOSS
GONZALEZ
ODGEN
RAY RAY "dindunuffin" Lewis

Well, you are limiting it to only 5 players.

>RAY RAY "dindunuffin" Lewis
I'd kind of expected to see him on every list, but I haven't watched the nfl for long and only watched some of the espn specials on the superbowl winning teams in modern times

there are also less players period in the NBA
top 5 in the NBA could mean a starting lineup, where 5 in the NFL wouldn't even be half of one side

I figured it would encourage debate (and anger)

Only one LT

>Not having Charles Woodson on your list

Reprehensible.

bump for hoping more americans have woken up

Take out Joe Thomas for Ray Lewis. Offensive linemen are too hard to judge objectively and often rely on hearsay

what about troy polamalu and ed reed

People that didn't watch football last decade don't realize how good he was and only know him from the murder charge.

>FWIW he really didn't do it.

Moss
Lewis
Gronk
Revis
Peterson

Good q, OP. I'd say, in no order:

Gronkowski
He's basically locked up the "who would you take for a single game" spot for TE and his injury concerns are generally overstated. To become unarguable goat he really just needs to string together 4 more seasons' worth of games (64).

Randy Moss
Generally given a floor of #3 WR all time (would be behind TO and Rice). Some have him higher than that though.

Ed Reed
Probably the most cunning and crafty FS of all time. Greatest ball-hawking skills of all time. Physically not as good as his intellect but also definitely excellent relative to the rest of the league.

Brian Dawkins
Basically the other side of Reed. Athletic ability maxed out and not quite the intellect of Reed but still excellent.

Forgot 5. Could be Watt, Peterson, Tomlinson, Bailey, Woodson, Vinatieri... Take a pick.

thanks for the great answer. i notice no one else has included dawkins or reed, is this because their position is undervalued in discussions like these?

Defensive back is not a sexy position but it's incredibly important.

People probably have a tougher time ranking those positions without lots of good numbers to associate (yards, Tds, interceptions, fumbles, etc.). There's an argument that a Ladainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson deserves to be in that top five above Dawkins or Reed, but post-2000 the NFL is a passing league, so I default to guys who more so affect the passing game. Then there have also been some phenomenal o line players like joe Thomas, but I wouldn't know where to put them. They probably can't affect a game like a single player elsewhere can, though.

>Ed Reed
>LaDainian Tomlinson/Adrian Peterson (sorry for picking 2, but I find it hard to separate them)
>Randy Moss
>JJ or Sapp (again sorry for 2)
>Charles Woodson

actually JJ for sure, Sapp was more dominant in the 90s

Reed was also IMO the most dangerous player in the game when the ball was in his hands. Either was going to score, or would die trying/lateral it around, so if you ever saw him recover a ball, you knew shit was about to get real.

>They probably can't affect a game like a single player elsewhere can, though.
People tend to forget that the 05 Seahawks almost won a Superbowl on the backs of Walter Jones and to a lesser extent Hutch.
That said, best OL of the century is Jones or Thomas.

>Gronkowski
>Can only make big plays when he commits offensive pass interference or is played against banged up secondaries.
>Easy catches and Low fumble percentage because of deflated balls.

Put him in another system and see how he does. If he remains consistent, or will reevaluate my claim.

Trying to underplay gronk the best TE of all time really?

>Having him play by the rules to see if he deserves the mantle of even being considered a good or great player, let alone an all time great.

>Jones and Thomas
>not Ogden who is probably the best OT in the history of the game

lol

i too used to pretend great players on other teams were bad

>active

it says "active after the year 2000" you sperg

>Active after the year 2000
Did you even read the OP?

Then just say post 2000. Active implies they are currently playing.

Don't try to justify yourself you dumbass.

>don't try to use words for their proper definitions

Fuck off cuckold

>Gronk
>best TE
>of all time.

b8

no, it implies they were playing after the year 2000
how did literally everyone in this thread understand that but you

Ray Moss
Justin Smith
Geno Atkins
Troy Pamalolu
Adam Vinatari

Alright, let's talk about this then.

The OP states "active in the NFL after the year 2000." So the OP is saying all players that have been active after the year 2000. If you are struggling with the meaning then you could look to context clues. For instance there are no currently active players in the NFL that played prior to the year 2000.

Using that information not only are you able to see from the sentence in the OP, you also have additional information to support that OP was referring to all players who have played since the year 2000.

Also
>cuckold
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, I totally forgot about Ogden, who was definitely better than Thomas. But I don't recall Ogden being as much of a focal point for his offences as Jones, who basically won Shaun Alexander's MVP for him. Though I'll admit that I am biased towards Jones as a Seahawks fan.

pls no bully

>not Reed

youtube.com/watch?v=f4Bmjh7mXvU

Dude is literally the greatest ballhawk of all time.

He dominates every one-on-one matchup he gets, most of the one-on-two match ups he gets, and sometimes the one-on-three match ups as well. The guy transcends any sort of system. He has plenty of circus catches in his highlight reels in addition to the perfectly delivered Brady throws. And then after the catch he may be the most entertaining player in the history of the nfl. Guys are literally afraid to tackle him.

Ray Lewis
Walter Jones
Champ Bailey
Charles Woodson
Randy Moss

HM: Marvin Harrison, TO, Ogden, Thomas, LdT, AD

Ogden is just behind Jones/Munoz

Ray Lewis
Jonathan Ogden
Ed Reed

>inb4 y u put 3 ravens
All three of them are arguably the best player in their position all time.

Ladanian Tomlinson
Tom Brady
>inb4 cheater

Literally 25-30 QB's probably have the ball to a level outside the required range. Brady got caught because the Colts are fucking whiny cunts.

Also
>inb4 ravens fan or pats fan
we dem boys

Randy Moss
Simply the most explosive WR. Only ever had a problem with effort. His best is better than any other WR's, didn't have 2 Hall of Famers throwing to him for his career
JJ Watt
Already an argument he is the single greatest D-lineman of all time. Simply an absolute force
Rob Gronkowski
better at blocking and pass catching than anybody else in the league. Health the only real concern
Brian Dawkins
seemed to make everyone around him better in a way that's hard to quantify but amazing to watch
Joe Thomas
Most consistent O-lineman in the game, just tremendous at everything. Feet like a ballerina

>Gronkmemeski and Dawkins over people like Adrian Peterson

>supporting a child-abuser
Very problematic desu senpai

>already an argument he's the single greatest D-lineman of all time

underaged pls go

Charles Woodson was great at corner & safety in the 00's. Only the likes of Rod Woodson & Lott do that kind of shit.

>Joe Thomas

Big Whit >Thomas

Pound for pound no one played the game like Steve Smith in the era.

Adrian Peterson
Jared Allen
Randy Moss
JJ Watt
Ray Lewis

These are the best players in the last 15 years.
End of discussion

There's like 5x as many NFL players as nba and they play for a lot less time

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Russell Wilson
3. Cam Newton
4. Tony Romo
5. Aaron Rodgers

I honestly don't see how you make that argument
I know old folks love longevity but JJ Watt is a monster wherever he lines up, and the effect he has on the run and pass game is astonishing. Plus he's the only guy in NFL history with multiple 20+ sack seasons. I know people also want to see him perform well in the post-season before they crown him, but it'd be ridiculous to say he hasn't put himself in the argument.

JJ isn't a leader.

That Texans team get's smoked any big game they play. If you ask me that says a lot, even being the team oriented game that it is.

>only guy in NFL history with multiple 20+ sack seasons
Deacon Jones had 20+ sack multiple seasons before it was a stat, and before passing was so prevalent.

How exactly do you define 'big game'? Like the WC loss in the playoffs last year to the chiefs? The one where the QB had 5 turnovers? I'm not sure what you expect Watt to do about the offense's inability to put a point on the board.

How's the weather in Minnesota?

I just don't see him making the players better around him. He's great & all, I just don't have him in my top 5.

>Deacon Jones
head slap babby, JJ plays with totally different rules that makes his job more challenging. Also I'm not at all saying JJ is definitively the best Dlineman of all time (imo it's still Tombstone) but he is in the argument for it.

There are very, very few players who make the players around them better. More often than not elite athletes are left chronically ill-supported and expected to overcome their shitty support cast.

The only real positions where players can have a meaningful impact on the play of others is MLB, safety and QB. Most other positions have their assignments and their individual battles to overcome. The best CB in the world can't do shit if the CB on the other side of the field keeps getting burned. There's limited opportunity for him to make others better.

Charles Woodson
Ed Reed
Jonathan Ogden
Walter Jones
Ray Lewis

>Most TD's by TE in a season
>Most yards by a TE in a season
>First TE to lead league in receiving TD's
>Only 27

Best not greatest

gronk is easily the best te already

He plays by rules.But Defensive Backs don't fucking hold him all time?

Exactly

>Best not greatest

This is something that I wish more people would understand. For instance, Lebron James is the "best" player in the history of the NBA but Jordan is the "greatest."

I wish more people would realize there is a difference between ability and legacy.

this thread got me googling like a madman

Charles Woodson did it in Oakland & Green Bay.

Like are you googling names you don't recognize?

Also I feel like a dumbass because I rushed through the OP and ignored the "no QBs" part.

Replace Brady with Randy Moss.

>Like are you googling names you don't recognize?
Yeah, and searching on youtube. I think I watched my first nfl game 2013, and the only full season I've watched (more or less) is the last one.

You have a team?

49ers

Sweet man. I love learning about players from before my time.

It really puts into perspective how big of an issue recency bias is.

Really only a few players within the last couple decades have an argument to be the best in their position. Not looking at past players really limits your scope of the league's history; i.e. JJ Watt guy.

>just don't see him making the players better around him

He's a pass-rusher, not a point guard you dumb*ss

Yeah it's a luxury to have so much history to read up on, just wish there were more road to superbowl and the likes available for torrenting, sucks watching everything on youtube

>JJ Watt guy.
He's a top 10 D-lineman already and his career isn't half over. Seriously at this point you have to be baiting or a fan of another AFC south team

>Started watching NFL in 2013
>49ers went to SB in 2013
>49ers fan

Jk

they were really fun to watch that year, even more fun to watch in 2012. He's still a fan now too, and that's the important part

Gronkowski
Moss
Watt
Revis
Strahan

Gronk

Malcom Butler

Moss

Edelman

Bellichick

It's not like they won shit that year anyway

It's been a harsh awakening after watching my first games with them, but I continue watching all of their games (as work and sleep schedule allows)

Yup I don't mind people becoming a fan of a good team when it's their first time getting a sport who wants to root for a terrible team when they introduced to a new sport.

I'm a Pats Fan KeK

>replying to clear bait
baka desu senpai

I gotta take that b8

Riding with Chip Kelly. Good luck. Here's hoping Carlos Hyde can have a decent year 'cuz that offense looks underwhelming to say the least.

If you wanted to Pats b8 that hard you could at least say Law instead of Malcom fucking Butler.

Butler makes one big play because Browner did the dirty work and pats fans think hes Deon Sanders or some shit

80 degrees

Reed doesn't belong. Gronk Dawkins or Bailey instead

bump