What does Sup Forums think of the Ramones?

What does Sup Forums think of the Ramones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ImZykO83s_A
youtube.com/watch?v=n89pKPmAfIk
youtube.com/watch?v=q7EJWc9_2cg
youtube.com/watch?v=eRwek-qyyeM
youtube.com/watch?v=coFqXH3-SOA
youtube.com/watch?v=_9tvmT7jHjU
youtube.com/watch?v=1wfVzeiZsOk
youtube.com/watch?v=F8LYpyXerDg
youtube.com/watch?v=L_uBH9vWV4M&list=PL_MnMs_tofv7RBq_NYhBNcwB5vBZzsHxb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fucking garbage, stupid Americans and their revisionist history trying to pretend they ever had a punk movement when they didn't

Movements are for the lazy.

Ever heard of Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and the Minutemen?

I liked them when I was a kid. But honestly, I would never listen to them now.

Christgau thinks they were one of the greatest bands ever, even though he was disillusioned about Johnny Ramone coming out as a Republican.

Pop punk is not really the same thing, especially since it came so much later, I'm not saying good music didn't come out of the US but it wasn't punk, it was people having fun, not people being angry at their society and at the way music had died

IDK, the Ramones' sound was pretty much rooted in the sleazy, run-down New York City of the 70s.

You're so clueless it's unbelievable. Kill yourself.

>Christgau thinks

I mean, granted we didn't have a movement quite like the UK where punk bands came along and blew up the stale edifice of prog and dinosaur rock. Bands like the Ramones had no immediate impact and sold few records, while most Americans just rocked out to the conventional AOR groups like Kiss, REO Speedwagon, Boston, etc.

The impact that punk groups had was more on the next generation of bands that came up in the 80s.

Not horrible. Listened to them quite a bit years ago, some catchy songs. I like Pet Sematary a lot, even though it was just goofy shit written for the film.

Was just listening to "Too Tough To Die". Quite a lot unlike the low budget 70s Ramones albums. By the mid-80s they had money and could afford a slick, stadium metal sound.

I think Dee Dee was the main liberal in the band; he was the guy who wrote Bonzo Goes To Bitburg.

>revisionist history

Sex Pistols and The Clah have both admitted to changing their sound after seeing the Ramones. Punk wouldn't exist as we know it had the Ramones not been around.

Also, the US had multiple Punk movements. But you already knew that.

Hate them.
Never found a single song of theirs engaging or interesting at all, nor energetic or edgy.
Basically green day tier punk which posers like because commercial and mainstream music media determined that they are 'classics'.

>Christgau

Nobody care. Christgau likes simple and thoughtless music. Or he likes it to have a very direct message that he agrees with.

Whaddya want? Billie Joe Armstrong said that the Ramones changed the face of music.

They have very simple riffs, but that seems to be common in punk music.

youtube.com/watch?v=ImZykO83s_A

Also, the solo in I Wanna Be Sedated is just one note strummed over and over again.

The Ramones released their first two albums many months before Nevermind the Bollocks appeared.

Exactly

"The Ramones"--Release date, April 1976

"The Ramones Leave Home"--Release date, January 1977

"Nevermind the Bollocks, It's the Sex Pistols"--Release date, October 1977

The first four albums were the best when the inspiration was at its freshest (obviously), but of the 14 albums they put out there are no bad ones, just a few that were meh.

Also it's smart that they retired in the 90s rather than drag on past their prime to become a self-parody.

Not hating, but I find it interesting just how far musicianship devolved during the punk rock era. Seemed like in the late 70s growing popular music was more about how you looked and behaved than how you played. And it stuck around, grunge was mainly bashing powerchords and root notes and that simplicity can be found all over indie rock today.

>Seemed like in the late 70s growing popular music was more about how you looked and behaved than how you played.

Not true. During the 80s, guitar playing was reaching new peaks of technicality when grunge arrived and told everyone that actually playing your instrument was a sin, and it didn't help that retards like Christgau encouraged this mindset because mmmmuh greasy punk rock from the streets.

Oh I wasn't implying widespread. Subcultures I mean.

Essentially it somehow became possible to become a professional and revered musician while actually lacking a lot of ability.

lmao @ all these 15 year old prog fans in this thread

Christgau and Cobain won in the end. They got their mmuh indie/punk basic chords shit and bands like Van Halen don't exist anymore

Patrician af

I don't trust anyone who doesn't like them

The Ramones were rock and roll. They have some of the most clever songs ever.

Lumping them in with all their imitators is doing them a disservice, they did their own thing and did just fine without any help from the radio or mtv

youtube.com/watch?v=n89pKPmAfIk

youtube.com/watch?v=q7EJWc9_2cg

if you don't like the Ramones you're an idiot

youtube.com/watch?v=eRwek-qyyeM

Good band, their first 5 albums are fucking solid.

Americans invented punk dipshit.

Don't tell Christgau about how the NY punk scene was conservative as fuck in the late 80's, or else he might have a heart attack lol.

america did have a punk movement, it was called 'grunge'

Which is weird because out of all the dadrock bands, Van Halen liked punk the most. Henry Rollins told a story once about how him and Raymond Pettibone ran into David Lee Roth at an art gallery once and Dave basically geeked out when he met the pair of them. And they shared bills with bands like X and T.S.O.L. in the LA scene, so they were hardly anti-punk.

well van halen fuckin rules so that doesn't surprise me

People mocking Christgau when he has better criteria and talent writing than every single one in this filthy board.

They're the greatest inside joke in all of rock n roll. Irony in indie rock began with the Ramones.

Incredibly influential and fantastic live, where they played the loudest and the fastest.

The music itself is absolutely shite. All their songs sound the same, have similar tempos and no dynamics. Also, really hit or miss overall, as far as memorable songs/melodies go (despite having a couple of timeless songs).

remember that time he made a song called 'chinese bitch'

naw, the Ramones were pretty creative and had really strange and unique songs even if they limited themselves to 3 or 4 chords and spamming eighth notes. they definitely had a sound but that was their intention

"Teenage Lobotomy" is one of their most beloved signature song and it's just a freak of nature

>doomsday visions of commies and queers
>artificial phonies
>i hate it

none of the ramones were liberal with a capital L, the closest would have been Joey

I hope the people here that say ramones SOUND ALL DE SAEM XD aren't the same people who listen to le patrician repetitive music, because that would be very sad and it wolud tell a lot about the music "taste" of this board.
Anyway ramones are fucking great.

This desu

our Punk movement (the real one) was underground, not a tabloid media shitshow that was based on fashion and "oh dear, they said the F word on TV"

Protip NY Dolls invented Punk Rock

protip punk rock is just rock and roll and some nigger invented it

protip the American punk scene began with the beats in the 50's

Burroughs influenced Lou Reed to an absurd extent

British punk is garbage, btw

The Clash and The Jam were better in every aspect than any American punk band.

>The Clash
>punk

maybe if you're 13, pleb

Both are pop punk with post punk elements

>The Clash and the Jam are better than the Velvet Underground, the New York Dolls, the Stooges, and Pere Ubu

Yes? Vastly superior lyrically and instrumentally, and influenced music culture far more.

yeah but The Clash have exactly one punk album and you can thank them for shit like U2

The Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minutemen, i could go on would cut the fuck out of The Clash instrumentally

shit, the Clash's best records are good because all the studio session guys who are playing it for them, ie london calling

>better than the stooges
wew

simpleton monkeyasscore

And what do you like to listen to, oh wise user?

post-punk > punk

Objective fact

First rule is: God loves the gov't... Nuff said

American Punk
>The Ramones
>The Damned
>The Stooges
>The Minutemen
>The Misfits
>The Casualties
>Black Flag
>Minor Threat
>Fugazi
>Rites Of Spring
>Embrace
>The rest of the DC hardcore/post-hardcore scene

UK Punk
>Sex Pistols
>The Clash
>Warsaw/Joy Division
>Siouxsie & The Banshees
>a bunch of racist Oi! shit

Is it even a contest?

this

>American Punk
>The Damned

I don't like them. They're incredibly boring, anyone calling them punk doesn't know what they're talking about.

They're basically power pop, and note ven good like Cheap Trick.

The Damned are from the UK. If you're going to shitpost at least do a little research.

bait

>Americans in charge of underground music

>no crust/anarcho-punk
shiggy diggy
youtube.com/watch?v=coFqXH3-SOA
youtube.com/watch?v=_9tvmT7jHjU
youtube.com/watch?v=1wfVzeiZsOk

Punk was born in New York. Granted 2nd wave British punk is way better than the U.S. and anarcho-punk and british crust kick the shit out of american hardcore. But you can't ignore the early US protopunk and no-wave scenes, Brits had very little to do with punk's beginnings.

meant to reply to

bump

Even then, the band said about the song "We were good patriotic Americans, we just felt completely stunned that our president would go to a cemetery with SS officers buried there."

>Stooges
>punk

Even Iggy Pop always denied that they were punk.

Stupid brits and their revisionist history trying to pretend their punk movement didn't start because of ours.

you didn't even have the dead kennedys

Punk as a whole is superficial as hell

Little manchildren bickering about who started "TRUE" punk and who's fake and who's real and blah blah, fuck off

Down with the man!!! they yelled as they channeled their daddy problems against the efforts of hard working businessmen

Listen to no wave instead; punk is a joke

I fought God, and God won.

this but the best now wave was post no wave

youtube.com/watch?v=F8LYpyXerDg

youtube.com/watch?v=L_uBH9vWV4M&list=PL_MnMs_tofv7RBq_NYhBNcwB5vBZzsHxb

"The Rolling Stones aren't a rock band, they're a corporation."

-- Johnny Rotten

>tfw I used to like the Ramones
I cringe at the thought of it

>muh beats
The only good Beat was Allen Ginsberg. The fact that Beat literature is idolized by tough-guy rock posers and disregarded in literary circles shows what it's true merit is.

This. Punk is shit.

Wait, wasn't Allen Ginsburg a totally degenerate drug addict child molester?

Yeah, but Howl is p good

>(((Ginsberg)))

Tommy Ramone was a really limited drummer and then quit after RTR. He was succeeded by Marky Ramone who was from a metal background and brought more of a stadium rock sound to the band.

Why do autists spam this senile man in every thread?

"They were our Beatles." Truest thing Eddie Vedder ever said

Black Sabbath stole the opening riff of "Judy is a Punk" and used it in Neon Knights.

Cobain also stole territorial pissings from the ramones too

Saved rock and roll from being destroyed by prog and proto-buttrock. Its supposed to be fun music for teenagers, not Vivaldi. First 4 albums are god-tier. End of the Century blows. Pleasant Dreams is good. Rest also blows.

You're thinking Joey. Dee Dee was too doped up to have coherent political views.

>Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and the Minutemen
>pop punk
what planet are you living on

Classical music makes prog irrelevant and childish. If you want "technicality" then don't bother with a form a rock music.

Punk and other more simplistic forms of rock remain relevant despite classical existing because they serve as a form of folk music enjoyed and played by the masses.

I'd count their self-titled as punk. Give em enough rope is borderline punk.

This.
Because let's be honest, for "techicality", you don't look at rock.

"Originality in music doesn't exist. After all, there are only twelve notes."

-- Keith Richards