youtube.com/watch?v=hPrhucj65ZA
youtube.com/watch?v=DXaHGAdmX1M
youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
youtube.com/watch?v=4Eo84jDIMKI
youtube.com/watch?v=p-WXVk2ZSxU
youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
stereogum.com/1840380/grimes-details-gear-behind-art-angels/news/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's what I would do if I were a Sup Forums mod.

I'd force all Marina, Charli, and Grimes threads into one awful waifu general. Anyone who posted outside of the containment thread would be banned from Sup Forums for 7 days on the first offense, 30 for the second, permaban for the third.

The thread would be entertaining for observers in its own right and save space on Sup Forums for more varied shitposting.

i would force them to just have a general for each waifu and whoever starts a new thread gets banned for 2 weeks. anyone else shitposting in the other thread would also be banned

No, there are too many waifus. I'd accept that over the current situation but I'd rather they all just be stuffed into one.

>anyone else shitposting in the other thread would also be banned
This is way too hard to enforce. I've moderated pretty big imageboard communities and shit like this never works. Moderating what threads are on the board is one thing, but policing every post in certain threads is too much of a pain in the ass.

One single waifu containment thread per girl + usual Sup Forums rules is probably the most feasible option.

>Bjork

>being this much of a lavren cuck

Haha alright kiddo

I'm including Lauren and whoever else too. I just forgot she existed when writing that post.

If you exclude looks she has almost no positive qualifies compared to those other 3, so I couldn't even imagine her having her own permanent thread.

t-take that back!!

>I'd force all Marina, Charli, and Grimes threads into one awful waifu general.
Why, you idiot? Because you have a problem with them? It's not your fucking board to police people what they should and shouldn't post. Don't like something? Filter it or ignore it. Stop whining.

Let me remind you that you're on an IMAGE BOARD. Sharing images is allowed, along discussion. This board isn't only about music discussion, but about artist discussion too. Read the rules, autist:
>Discuss music, artists, and instruments here. All images should relate to the topic at hand.
Sup Forums.org/rules

These threads respect the rules. Their quality is subjective and that's mods' job to decide if they're good enough to stay.

>Marina, Charli, and Grimes have no positive qualities

Marina is an extremly talented singer with an amazing voice and vocal range

youtube.com/watch?v=TY5pcx6Um40

Charli is a great songwriter

Grimes is an amazing producer, songwriter and singer

get your facts straight before getting butthurt because an artist is somewhat attractive

>your favorite female artist

That's right. These pathetic virgin losers hate these artists just because they're popular AND female. They feel threatened by them.

>Don't like something? Filter it or ignore it. Stop whining.
I'd love to. I'm not asking for them to be banned. But with the amount of waifu threads that pop up every day, some intentionally avoiding filters, it's literally impossible to filter most of them. You'd probably need something to heuristically recognize their faces and filter based on that.

Either one consolidated or several separate containment threads would be the best of both worlds. The waifufags get to discuss their girl and get assurance their thread won't be deleted by mods (as long as they don't start trying to make more or spam the board), and people who dislike it can much more easily filter them. Nothing to complain about.

You misunderstood. I was saying Lauren has no positive qualities relative to them. I think Marina, Charli, and Grimes do have genuine (but different) talents. I think Lauren has almost no talent other than being born with a pleasant voice timbre.

Yaaas queeen slaaaaaayyy

that ain't queen b

>I think Lauren has almost no talent other than being born with a pleasant voice timbre.
She's a good lyricist / songwriter (most Chvrches songs were written in collaboration with the other 2 members). Any artist able to make such catchy and solid synthpop deserves respect.

I don't know the true situation so I'm not going to assume, but I'll just say I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 producers write the actual songs and do the arrangement and she just comes up with most of the lyrics for it (perhaps with help). Not a sexist thing, but that's usually the case when an instrumentless singer is in a group with producers/instrumentalists. Songwriting is hard. I could be wrong though.

And even if she does help write the songs, they only have a few catchy tracks IMO. It's some of the blandest synthpop you can get, relying on "aesthetic" and her looks and voice quality.

this you fucking got it my nigga. every artist has something that makes them unique. ma nigga

>Grimes

Twigs is a much better vocalist but I think Grimes is a better producer.

wew lad

>Phil Collins

I still like Phil Collins tho

her music is the exact same as Grimes but boring and less upbeat

They said in some interviews that Chvrches is a collaborative project. They all contribute to their music.

>instrumentless singer
Actually, you're wrong. She can play drums, synths and samplers. And voice is an instrument too.
youtube.com/watch?v=hPrhucj65ZA
youtube.com/watch?v=DXaHGAdmX1M

>It's some of the blandest synthpop you can get, relying on "aesthetic" and her looks and voice quality.
It's not. Their music has genuinely great hooks/melodies, beats and production. If you know something about synthpop, you should know that these features matter the most. By the way, I'm actually a synthpop fan, I listened to manyalbums from this genre.

Do you mean the dull and bland version of Grimes?

>Twigs is a much better vocalist
She can barely sing if you can call that whisper singing. Compare that "singing" with Grimesy: youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4

That is absolutely terrible drumming. I've only drummed like twice and I can drum better.

And I don't think she's a good singer at all. Mediocre at best. I find her voice cute but I'm very bored by her singing.

>It's not. Their music has genuinely great hooks/melodies, beats and production. If you know something about synthpop, you should know that these features matter the most. By the way, I'm actually a synthpop fan, I listened to manyalbums from this genre.
I don't listen to much *-pop but I've definitely heard much more interesting synthpop. The production in terms of the mixing and sound design is perfect and pristine and all that, but the beats are like any generic pop song.

For example, I can pretty much hear the sterile DAW grid in youtube.com/watch?v=4Eo84jDIMKI

A ton of pop music is like that though (sadly), so maybe I'm not the best to judge.

Just to compare waifus, Grimes has much worse mixing and very poor handling of width and depth (probably because she layers 70+ tracks until the project crashes), but I find the beats far catchier, interesting, and varied. Still pretty poppy, and sometimes generic, but they usually hold my attention. I'll take lo-fi-ish yet creative production over perfect but boring production any day.

>queen b

What if I like grimes but don't refer to her in retarded anime terms and masturbate to her photos?

I usually like Grimes as a singer, and that song, but that's a pretty bad example if you're trying to demonstrate her singing ability. Her breath control is all fucked up and she slips in and out of tune. Twigs has much better technical singing talent: youtube.com/watch?v=p-WXVk2ZSxU

It's sometimes slow/whispery but that's just the R&B style. And if you're going to complain about that, I could easily say that 80% of the vocals in Grimes songs is her just humming and breathing.

I don't listen to her for the singing; just the dance arrangements she comes up with (while tweaked out on drugs lol).

Also I know that post seems contradictory but you know what I mean. I like her as a singer while acknowledging she's not a great singer, because she knows how to work her voice into her songs and that's all that matters.

I think you're not really in the position to judge synthpop if this genre isn't your favorite. You're projecting some jazz, classical or prog rock standards (or whatever complicated genre you're listening to) to synthpop. Synthpop is about catchy and memorable songs and Chvrches achieved that.

Pick any Kraftwerk tune and any Chvrches tune and you'll see they're not radically different (compare The Model with The Mother We Share for instance). Do you want some complicated IDM beats to a synthpop song?

Also you're completely wrong about Grimes when you said
>Grimes has much worse mixing and very poor handling of width and depth (probably because she layers 70+ tracks until the project crashes)

I'm not wrong about Grimes. Listen to a recent Chvrches track and just about any Grimes track. Grimes had Art Angels professionally mixed and mastered but it still sounds kind of bad. And Visions is kind of a mess, and her earlier stuff is a huge mess. The frequency and space distributions are not good.

I don't care, and in fact the tracks are possibly better for it (if everything's sharing reverb and other send plugins then it can be hard to separate them while still getting the ethereal atmosphere she's going for), but the mixing is not good.

youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE Just as an example, listen carefully to the mix here. There's definitely a mixing attempt but it's pretty amateur.

stereogum.com/1840380/grimes-details-gear-behind-art-angels/news/

>this is the first album that I’ve had professionally mixed at another studio. When I got the parts back they almost sounded live; the mix added a lot of space. I probably use too many compressors on my stuff — I’m kind of like ‘gah’ trying to cram everything in. I also have a lot of files. When I’m done with a track there’s so many layers, so having it mixed just makes it feel richer and fuller, and the vocals aren’t fighting with the guitars.

>Right now I using PMC monitors, although my biggest problem is that they don’t have a sub so my low-ends sound very flat. That’s another reason for getting my album mixed by someone else. I have some Rocket monitors too and I’m always testing my music on the laptop because I think a lot of people are listening to music on laptops these days. I know it’s terrible, but I listen to music on laptop speakers a lot too.

Mixing is hard, and she knows she isn't great at it. I suck at it too. Chvrches has great mixing.

>wanting generals for any reason
You should be banned permanently. This site is probably interfering with your moderating duties on one of your "not one of the bad ones" subreddits.

>Her breath control is all fucked up and she slips in and out of tune.
These are just some minor flaws that are forgivable when the result sounds so great and emotional. Twigs maybe has a better control over her voice, but much weaker timbre, range and emotion.

Grimes is not a perfect live singer, in fact she admitted she's a quite poor singer sometimes, but in studio she gets the best from her voice.

Saying that Twigs is better than Grimes is like saying a random popstar is better than Joni Mitchell because she can technically sing better.

I didn't say Twigs is better than Grimes. I wouldn't directly compare them because they're completely different genres. I personally prefer Grimes. All I said was that Twigs is a better singer.

Hard Rock < Traditional Metal < Proto/Doom Metal < Traditional Doom Metal < Others doom metal genres that arent stoner/doom metal

>I'm not wrong about Grimes. Listen to a recent Chvrches track and just about any Grimes track. Grimes had Art Angels professionally mixed and mastered but it still sounds kind of bad. And Visions is kind of a mess, and her earlier stuff is a huge mess. The frequency and space distributions are not good.
I think you're just too pretentious (no offense). I see nothing wrong, the way they were mixed fit the actual music. Not everything should sound professionally clean. Just because it's slighly murky (a thing that works well with dreampop) it doesn't mean it's bad like you said.

>Mixing is hard, and she knows she isn't great at it. I suck at it too.
Except she didn't do the mixing.

I am a bit pretentious because I spend a lot of time producing myself. I actually almost always prefer that less-mixed style of music. I'm just saying she's not a good mixer. I have utterly no problem with her music, and I think trying to "perfectly" mix it would probably ruin the tracks. That said, some producers are both creatively and technically great, and sometimes the mixing talent can add to the creativity of the track.

I've already said I greatly prefer Grimes to Chvrches. However, just to put it in perspective: I hear Chrvches played in random restaurants and stores I go into. I do not hear Grimes. She does have some normalfag songs, so it's not just that she's too weird. Part of it, I think, is the mixing doesn't sound pop-professional like Katy Perry or Bieber or whoever. Not that it should be, but just saying.

>Except she didn't do the mixing.
She did on every album except Art Angels. And even Art Angels is a little wonky mix-wise to my ears (or possibly an overcompressed/overprocessed master). It may be an intentional choice on some songs to get more noisy and visceral choruses, but there's not much separation. Again, I still like the songs, but just speaking objectively.

>She did on every album except Art Angels.
She didn't. Sebastian Cowan did the mixing and mastering (on Visions it's 100% confirmed). The mixing on Visions is pretty weird, but that makes the album special. For instance that Oblivion bassline is really high in the mix but the song wouldn't be the same without this quirk.

>I hear Chrvches played in random restaurants and stores I go into. I do not hear Grimes. She does have some normalfag songs, so it's not just that she's too weird.
You're forgetting about her weird voice and about the fact she's an indie artist with little budget for promotion.

YAS

Fiona Apple

more specifically her first 2 albums

Ah ok, didn't know that about Visions. I haven't heard of him but from a quick Google search, he only worked for Grimes' former (small) label, so that explains a bit... (Not that I could personally do better.)

And yeah, the bassline is very present in the mix as it should be. But it could retain the same or lower gain yet with more clarity to the other elements with some sidechaining/LFOs and better width and frequency shaping. It's possible to have a bass or kick really stand out like that while still leaving a ton of room for everything else. And I think they did attempt that, but an expert mixer could theoretically do it better while still retaining (or even improving) the groove and punch.

It's a tricky business when making dancey/low-end heavy music for sure, especially stuff with lots of layers and atmosphere.

Just off the top of my head, I think OPN is an example of someone who can make really noisy, super layered, chaotic tracks while still having really clean mixing.

Lana del Taco

>David Bowie

Bowie is more legendary but Grimes is far more talented and a complete artist.

#lol

>Attractive women make me feel uncomfortable. Therefore music-related discussion pertaining to women I find attractive should be closely regulated or banned.
Lol. Insecure much?

>grimes fans are this deluded

in what world is kelis better than bey

>every rapper

You need to get some taste.