Could MacReady be a thing?

could MacReady be a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw
youtube.com/watch?v=7faGZJZzZ4k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no the black guy is

Keith David was

Seemed pretty clear that the black guy at the end was the thing.

Neither of them were.
Both of them were.
MacReady was.
Childs was.

sure why not

well according to the video game sequel

oh wait I'll kill myself sorry

Yes. He was alone with Norris and Palmer when both were Things.

Only he wasn't a thing because he still had his ear piercing

He may not have been fully assimilated but he was likely already infected by the end.

Strangely that ending suggests he was The Thing.

No. But MacReady was a replicant.

If Childs was infected from within, the ear piercing would not clear him.

It was Bruce Willis the entire time.

Neither guy was a Thing. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, because who the fuck knows how many Things went to snow and freeze? Remember the dog think that escaped throught the roof? And there were blasts later on, even one tiny drop of blood is enough for Thing to survive. That's why I love the movie, no matter what - they're doooomed.

>Neither guy was a Thing

Carpenter has confirmed that in the end you can only hear MacReady breathing.

The thing can't assimilate metal

Carpenter also confirmed that neither one was a thing. Not to mention you can see Childs breath

>author intent
Top kek
Kill yourself

Carpenter is also a master troll, always has been.

that shit was only established in remake-prequel

I don't remember it being clear that either of them were the Thing.

Didn't the forget to sterilize the scalpel while taking blood for the hot wire test?

I've never noticed that. Wouldn't have MacReady infected them all after cutting Palmer?

Maybe wiping alway the blood was good enough

Nah, he's just old and senile

One of the great mysteries of life. Childs doesn't seem to have visible breath in the final scene save for a couple of vague shots, while in comparison MacReady constantly breathes out breath-mist, though this may just be a lighting thing that was not intended as a clue. Another thing is the clothes, as the Thing is noted to have destroyed the clothes of any character it takes over (behind the scenes), all characters outed as the Thing, I believe, had different clothes on after being taken over.

Also, a persistent fan theory is the drink MacReady offers Childs is not in fact alcohol, but gasoline he had prepared as a test, the idea being that the Thing may not be able to understand what he's drinking. I personally think that's a long shot, but I do notice that the second Childs drinks it normally, the Thing theme picks up and MacReady gives this sly look.

That's the stupedest fucking thing, everyone is in the fucking arctic with fucking zippers

Do infected people know that they're things until they transform?
Do things know if other people are things when they see them?

You do realize it rips through their clothing, right?

It uses other clothes. I do agree though that the metal thing came from the other movie and as far as this one is concerned is not canon.

Which is the guy with the chest that opens up? I'm pretty sure he knew it. He turned down the chance to lead very quick. The guy that disappeared only to be seen next incinerated may have also killed himself after discovering he was infected.

If it can't absorb clothes, why would it be able to absorb metal like piercings, fillings or anything inorganic?

It doesn't absorb clothes. The movie makes a point of showing you that it shreds clothes at some point during transformation.

>fugggg I've been thinged

I always thought the Thing killed them, replaced them (in mind as well), and went on living as them to infect as many as possible?

That's what I'm saying. If it rips through clothes because it can't absorb clothes, then why would it absorb metal in someone's body?

It could simply keep the earring, which wouldn't be destroyed like the clothes.

>so, how do we know who's human? If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me?

The while logic of child's leaving the door he was supposed to guard to go chase Blair on his own and then getting lost out in the storm just doesn't sit well with me.

Mac told him specifically to stay and guard the door and blast Blair if he comes without them. Why wouldn't child's wait for them to come back and then tell them he saw Blair running?

But it would fall out during the absorption process. Would it remember to put it back in? Does it retain memories like that? Or would it keep only important information?

But the thing also breathes.
Even of only to do it as a disuise.
Its copies things perfectly anyways, and it has real organs.

Of course it remembers stuff, its very clear it does things the normal human would do just to appear normal to the rest.

Yeah and he could simply put it back on. All the other Things knew enough to fool everyone flawlessly until the blood test.

Didn't MacReady fill all the liquor bottles with gasoline?

>death of the author
look it's a gigantic faggot

Imagine if he was casted as robert baratheon.

man i never understand the controversy

Childs was DEF a fucking THING bro, why else would that nigga run from the base when MacReady specifically told his ass not to go anywhere, then the nigga disappears during a shit show and returns at the end with a new set of clothes. But at that point it didn't matter because MacReady knew he would be fucked anyways in the arctic by himself.

>lel blackie pls don't move from here even if you hear a bunch of horrible howls from hell and a giant thing destroying a building with a single swing

Maybe he went to refill his flamethrower, or get some supplies to help MacReady.

You mean the thing is doomed.

nah it will just freeze again until some other dumbfucks find it

Childs was the thing

>when he breathes there's no steam
>drinks a molotov
>macready laughs after it drinks a molotv knowing it just fucked up

Nobody is gonna find a random drop of blood or a tiny dog part after the area gets snowed and a blizzard fucks it all up.

>Childs was the thing
>>when he breathes there's no steam
Thats a movie hindsight, if the thing can perfectly copy the organs and way the host acts why would it forget to breath?
>>drinks a molotov
Can't be sure that was a molotov, it could just be a drink MacReady saved up
>>macready laughs after it drinks a molotv knowing it just fucked up
Or hes laughing at how hes still gonna die even after all they did

Why was this movie so hated by the plebs in the 80s?

Not enough flash-dancing or shirtless macho men.

>applying prequel logic to a forty year old movie

'no'

why would the thing have ran from the swedish camp?

Okay, I think I understand it now.

Childs smashed the guitar.

Mac handed Childs his bottle, and Childs drank from it.

Mac laughed. Had Childs really been thinking, he wouldn't have drank from a bottle that Mac-Thing could have spit in.

Therefore Childs was either an idiot, or had nothing to be afraid of because he was already infected. The laugh was Mac figuring out Childs was infected.

The Swedes lit their base on fire to combat it, then its last hope was the husky is took over.

or it was both of them being resigned to their fates, the thing also realizing that its fucked

>all these faggots refusing to believe the black guy was the thing

Get over yourselves Jesus christ

They're Norwegians, Mac

whatever

Hi Sup Forums

What about this Thing that escaped the dog massacre scene?

What if humans were the original thing and the thing is trying to claim his land back?

>says faggot so must be from Sup Forums
faggot

I saw a pretty convincing YT fan video that said Childs was infected based on some changes in the placement of a coat in the set and the fact that Blair would have been in the generator room, which is right behind where Childs was supposed to be standing at the door.

was it this guy: youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw

I don't totally buy into "Childs was a Thing" gimmick, but he DID abandon his position to presumably go after that engineer Thing guy and suddenly the power died. It wasn't in Childs' character to leave position.

No. Kurt Russell was clean

Bumping with my most recent OC.

I tend to believe that they were both human in the end, regardless of whatever hints Carpenter has dropped (someone on Sup Forums recently claimed that Carpenter has asserted via Twitter or somesuch that exactly one is a Thing, but this would seem to contradict another much older hint that Carpenter has dropped, to the effect that they really were both human in the end. Which is the whole point - to tease.) You do see a bit of Childs' breath at the end, not that I think that means anything one way or the other.

Childs' character basically maps to one "Barclay", another mechanic in the original story who can whip stuff together and is about as much "muscle" in the camp as Mac. A difference in the latter is that Barclay rigs up an /electrocution weapon/, like a big fork on the end of a snow-shovel, which is powered by the station's main power source.

Pushing back on myself in the above, the camera angle back inside Outpost 31 suggests that Blair's (eye-view) is currently inside the camp, skulking around. Perhaps the empty room supports Childs' humanity in that Blair was unable to accost Childs before Childs (or the figure, anyway?) ran out into the snow. (and what color was the figure's coat?) The coats are also re-arranged somewhat in the above secondary shot, relative to the earlier establishing shot where Childs is on guard-post and Mac gives the if-Blair-but-not-us-then-burn order.

It doesn't ya goofus, it's just part of the dog-thing pile that's trying to gain high ground.

Thing Risk anybody?

what if neither MacReady nor Childs is human at the end

makes that ending dialogue kinda spooky.

Windows does a very stupid thing of nicking the same blade on his pants to "clean" it while returning the blade and his sample to Macready, all of which suggests cross-contamination that people back then simply didn't take as seriously as we do today, what with the GRIDS and all. Even when they make a movie where they intellectually understand that one cell kills you, they still let shit like that slip in the final cut.

Actually, in the Campbell story, they're a bit smarter about certain things. They mandate a "stay in groups of four at all times" policy (smart), and they even all make an explicit point of sleeping about half-and-half, all in the same room together, also smart. But even the original story doesn't take its own premise so seriously, toward the end. In the story, when a "Thing" is revealed by the blood test a la Palmer, the rest of the group literally pounces on the infected person-thing and literally kill it with their bare hands, which would of course be a very bad idea given what we see depicted in the Carpenter movie.

Both versions have inconsistencies about handling infections, BBPs etc because the makers simply didn't live in a world with airborne Ebola, say, or AIDS.

> that base on the iceshelf
> las malvinas
> green

This landmass belongs to the Argentine's!

Ya niggas did it. Imma watch prequel-original now.

I'm convinced Childs is a thing because of pic related

There is no scene that shows MacReady pouring molotov into whiskey

The point is that he had it at hand, so it's plausible.

Great thread. But honestly it doesn't matter much in the end. They both froze to death eventually unless you consider the comics or game as canon.

Gonna watch both thing movies later today because of this. Thanks!

I thought about that, but i don't see why two Things wouldn't recognise each other and try to join together at the end.
Let alone drinking the molotov cocktail.

The Things never act together in the film, and in fact are happy to let others die when caught out.

No it doesn't really matter, but part of the enjoyment of rewatching The Thing is thinking of all the possible theories.
It's just a great mind game.

No, but The thing splits in moments of danger. At this point, if they were both Things, there would be no reason for them to not come back as one.
Anyway, the dialogue doesn't make any sense if they are both Things and get it.

>Hurr Child's is da Thing becuz u cant see his breath!

Where did this stupid theory start? The Thing clearly has the ability to mimic human ventilation as evidenced by pic related. This 'theory' people have that Child's lack of visible breath condensation at the end of the film means he is a Thing is based on literally nothing as it is never established anywhere else in the film that the Things physiology works that way.

good point, never thought of this

It matters because if one of them is the Thing, after Antarctic winter some supply ships will check in on the base and discover their bodies. The Thing will most likely infect them and get carried onto other continents. If either Childs or MacReady is a Thing, it's very likely the entire world will be a Thing within a year.

That Cracked video a while back dismissing the threat of The Thing by saying simple border checks would thwart it was either top notch bait or I have given them far too much credit in the past. And I didn't exactly have them on a pedestal before.

I have an extreme fear of parasites and The Thing, as a result, is just about the scariest convept/movie I have ever seen. I first watched it as a teen and just being around animals made me uneasy for like a week.

this is one my favorite shitposts

hahaha
>all the fags who bring up the molotov theory
>no mention of the chess scene

pleb the thing threads forever, as far as the eye can see

Sounds like absolute horseshit, same as whatever cracked churns out for the last while. The Thing is nigh indestructible, Fuchs says a single cell is enough to infect a host. Border checks can't even stop drugs getting into countries, how would they stop the Thing?

... I just realized I typed "convept". Fuck me.

Anyway, went and looked it up after posting so here it is:
youtube.com/watch?v=7faGZJZzZ4k

No time stamp since it's pretty much the first thing they talk about. They're on to Aliens by about 2 mins in.

The Thing part is as bad as I was remembering it. Normally I like After Hours well enough. This was a weaker one.

Border checks? If the Thing had taken place on any other continent, it would infect one flying insect and that would be the end of life on Earth.

Would the Thing or the Blob win in a fight? Who assimilates better?

Also you can't see Child's breath as clearly as Mac's cause he is just in the dark.

Of course, you might be right about your timeline. And I think we all have a sense that Blair's computer model is primitive and a bit silly.

Still, this calls for getting pedantic. What did Blair's computer model forecast? "If it touches a civilized area, humanity is done 27,000 hours after first contact".

27,000 hours divided by 24 hours/day equals 1125 days. Dividing by 365 days/year gives 3 years, with a remainder of 30 days, interestingly, then figure a leap day (maybe, change) based on the timeline.

In short, Blair's model spells doom in just over three years, as opposed to under one. All academic, however.

So it's bullshit

The Thing is faster. But that would be an interesting match to see.