Headed to the UK for the first time, also first time I'll be out of the US. Anyone have some advice or travel tips...

Headed to the UK for the first time, also first time I'll be out of the US. Anyone have some advice or travel tips? About what to expect and what to do/ not to do? Or general travel story thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11823685/Scottish-drug-deaths-reach-record-levels.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't let anyone know you're American

Bump

Universally hated world wide

Where in UK?

Starting in Dublin (I know that's not the UK), then London and later Edinburgh

Don't go to Scotland. It's an empty leftist shit hole full of heroin addicts and nicola sturgeon (aka the ugliest bitch in the universe).

Ah shit will my trips fucked then

Hope you like guiness.
London is shit. Ireland and Scotland are great.

I've heard that general consensus, London is overly expensive and meh like most big cities. And Ireland and Scotland are a lot of fun and more relaxed

Stay away from Londonistan too.

Learn to speak arabic and hebrew.

Don't judge England based on the shithole that is London, Edinburgh is okay though but it's worth travelling a bit outside the main cities.

Try not to be too chatty, it seems to be a fault of a lot of Americans, be polite and don't interrupt when others are talking.

Are there really that many towel heads?

Not crazy ones, no.

What other American things should I stay away from doing to be more polite? Or rather not embarrass myself

Yes

London is busy, stinks and you will get ripped off everywhere you go. Far better to visit anywhere else in England but I get you want to do the touristy stuff.

They have a fucking raghead mayor who called moderate muslims uncle toms.

Tower Hamlets is the worst. You can't even openly carry alcohol without being harassed by muds.

t. country-ruining goatfucker

Don't fucking worry about it, dude. I went to the UK last summer, I didn't act in any special way, and it was all perfectly okay. The UK gets loads of tourists from all over the world all the time.

Nobody is going to care that you're American.

Don't admit to being American.

This.

I'm wanna see the sites but avoid the tourist traps. We're gonna be with a local for a decent amount of the trip though, who put together the itinerary for us

Steer clear of politics or talking about Brexit, it's a sore subject right now. Also don't do the competitive 'we have one like this back home only its twice as big' shit.

Just basic stuff really, be a little humble and understand that (London especially), making smalltalk is generally frowned upon unless you actually know the person.

Also in cities, as in America, there's a good mix of different cultures just minus most of the racial tension and gang violence you have over there so even if you don't like other races, just be respectful and don't kick off.

Don't blame England based on the only place in the shithole who were sane enough to vote against brexit. Lol get rekt.

Only people with brains can live there cuz it's not cheap well fuck you faglord you are a lowlife without munnie.

Expect to meet crazies like this guy and to simply humour them when they go on rants, the country currently has a lot of far right sentiment but it's just hot air so don't let them wind you up.

Was like this for me in Germany.
I guess the best thing is to learn turkish and arabic

Fuck off, Achmed. Go back to the smelly third world shit hole you came from.

Honestly, so long as you're not a typical arrogant yank, a lot of girls will really like your american accent, you don't have to pretend to be Canadian or anything.

this

London especially is multi-cultural, you being American won't really phase anybody so just enjoy yourself and don't be a nobhead.

Enjoy the kebabs

If you see a chav, don't make eye contact.

I like to think I'm not arrogant. But hey the girls being into the accent is actually pretty cool I don't know why that hasn't crossed my mind yet.

>just hot air
True that. We don't go on killing sprees because a book told us to.

It's different, different equals interesting. Have fun with it!

You tell me.

Chav? As in a douchie meet head? What is a chav exactly

Very true. Put a Canadian flag on your luggage.

Chavs are white-trash.

A violent low-income youth. Also known as a Ned in Scotland. Neds are worse though

Council House And Violent

They come in all colours but tend to wear tracksuit bottoms, are unemployed, carry cider and a knife at all times and whinge about everything and anything. They're easy to identify, just don't trust them.

Shit, I hate why trash.

Prepare your ass for an unexpected dose of Cultural-Marxism.

Mfw no white people in London proper.

Underage watched trainspotting for the first time last night

A terrorist attack.

No he said he's visiting FROM America.

I understand the worldwide dislike for Americans, but would I genuinely be treated different if I said I was American instead of like Canadian? I like to think I would give the locals a halfway decent impression of an American

>implying

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11823685/Scottish-drug-deaths-reach-record-levels.html

Expect to meet a LOT of stupid people, our education system isn't much better than America's so get all thoughts of classy Brits out of you head and you won't be disappointed.

A typical sight would be a half cut manlet pissing in the street and drunkenly shouting about immigrants at a lampost. If you want relaxed and more friendly people, go out of town or to somewhere more countrified.

Stay away from londonistan if they find out you're american you'll get robbed and beaten

white british people ARE a minority in london and have been since 2015

Honestly, don't worry about it. If you're a stereotypical 'we should shoot all abortion doctors and kiss the flag every day' American, expect shit. But if you're just a normal human being, you're fine.

Some people here are radgies who will hate you no matter what but don't sweat it.

I'm west european and so were all my ancestors so go fuck yourself. Your brexit will do ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING. About immigration. You are still a member of the UN so those refugees will still come. Oh also you are a fucking retard I hope you realise that.

Not that I'm arguing the fact but do you have a source on that? Genuinely curious.

No, that's just our upper middle class. Awkward and just won't shut up. The American Alphas are too busy enjoying the states to travel abroad. Shit, we have California, NY, Florida, and Mexico just down south. I don't know why anyone would want to slum it in Europe. Vacations where the peasant mentality is alive and well? I'll pass.

>west european
Are you sure you're allowed on this website, Hans?

An example of why talking politics is a bad idea right now! Haha

Keep your opinions to yourself on things like this, Britain is currently centre-right politically and has a lot of people unsettled. Stick to other topics if you don't want to sour a conversation.

Oh and if you support Trump, probably best not to bring it up.

What should I know about the women in the UK? I'm trying to get weird over there

They're all ugly as hell.

The majority of them are absolute slags, if you find one who likes your accent, she WILL suck you off behind the bins.

A combination of the above

Gr8 b8

The good looking girls will not be found in bars, if you just want to fuck then you're in luck.

Wow. You guys are soft. How is making that comment competitive? A fact is a fact.

>California, NY, Florida, and Mexico
>30% chance of getting shot by nigs every time you step outside

If you're in central london, you're going to be surrounded by tourists idling around and office workers who just want you to get the fuck out of the way. It's not dangerous at all, there's hundreds of people everywhere, all the time.

Fantastic story at the least

Remember, 'fanny' means vag over here.

One upping I mean.

>Headed for the UK
More like BEheaded

THIS

People are either 'get the fuck out of my way I'm busy' or 'hey lets stand motionless and block the path while I take photos', there is no middle ground.

>needing to go this far back for an example when killings are just a daily part of life America

You're holidaying, not emigrating. Just have fun, shrug off the occasional tuts you hear and enjoy your stay mate.

>Europe, possibility of being a faggot 100%

I grew up in Chicago on the south side, so a a large city doesn't intimidate me. I've been the local around the tourists, and yeah I'm not worried about being attacked you can't let that stuff inhibit you also, Chicago is horribly dangerous where I'm from

Not too much to say really, boastfulness is seen as rude here and understand self depreciating humour isn't an invite for you to insult a stranger.

>daily part of life America
Only for nigs and beaners though

>daily part of life for the vast majority of America

There ya go fella, corrected myself for ya.

Dude you're living under a fucking rock.
Their population literally doubles every fucking decade.

>vast majority of America
Still only nigs and beaners

Lol I straight up interrupted a co-director in a job interview I had recently, got the job still!

Good attirude to have m8, our media is a bit like yours, want to keep everyone terrified but ignore that shit and just get on with things.

If you get on the London underground, learn how to make your body as small as possible as it gets packed.

The uncertainty of Brexit has completely fucked our exchange rate, you've picked a great time to visit as you'll get a lot more for your dollar until the market stabilises.

Get otc Vicodin when you're bored. Go to pubs not clubs. Always concert pounds to dollars in your head so you know how much you're paying. Go to Nandos Chicken. Go to Regents Park. Walk around a lot before you go over there to strengthen your legs otherwise your first week there is going to suck a lot. Get a tube card pass. Being high on the tube sucks ass. Don't get any of the fake America food like 'taste of Tennessee'. Don't act stereotypical American. Don't assume someone will know English even if they look like it. Go to Wales and explore. Realize that a lot of people will charge you more money when they hear you are American, unless you prove youre 'with it'. Always assume those Muslim bitches wearing the full ninja outfit traveling in packs are carrying concealed AKS.

All this applies to London, I went there last summer for 6 weeks as a 22 year old. Oh yea there is also amazing heroin there. The weed and coke and molly aren't very good. Don't buy any off the street dealers who approach you.

They aren't a minority, but there's plurality. 'White' is still the single largest race in London, but doesn't hold a majority any more. Last I read, London was about 45% 'white'. The non-white population is only noticeably visible in East London, though. Use your common sense. You wouldn't visit New York and go strolling through Harlem at night. Anything east of Shoreditch is primarily black and Asian. Although, I recommend avoiding Shoreditch too - it's full of hipster fags.

Fuck the tube, always trying to get a damn seat because standing is shit af, I feel a bit cheeky running for a seat when someone gets off but hey

That may be the only issue I'll have, I've heard everything is generally smaller. I've taken public transport many times before but I'm 6'2" with very broad shoulders. So making myself small is not something I do best

Interestingly enough, we had the trip planned before Brexit occurred and the exchange rates are now just a happy coincidence for us.

you're talking shit, 2011 census got it as 59.8% white

Will you be going in time for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival?

Remember, if you get raped, it's 999, not 911. :^)

Sorry, I should have been clear. The post I was replying to was referring to 'White British'. Which is about 45%. You're right, though. Including Irish, Polish and other Europeans 'White' is still the majority.

That's great advice I'm not all that in to drugs these days I've had my fun with them, but why not street dealers?

Yeah we'll be spending around 4 days in Edinburgh for the festival. I'm told we're staying right in the middle of it all

Edinburgh is an amazing city during Fringe, get up early and finish late so you can cram in as much as possible. At least half a dozen shows a day is the best way to do it, just immerse yourself.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a string of different festivals correct? How's the weather their? I have a general idea would I be fine with long pants and a sweatshirt?

There's about 50 different venues all with regular performances as well as the 'golden mile' full of street artists. There's pretty much two kinds of shows, the pros (where you book tickets around £10-£20) and the traditional Fringe style where you just walk in and tip them whatever you like on the way out (unwritten rule is about £3 minimum).

It'll be warm by our standards, around the 20-25c mark but it's worth packing a coat because sudden rain is a thing here.

what i think is that there is more sarcasm in Britain and very different humour tbh
as long as you understand that some people can take the piss (make fun of you) then your set

More sarcasm? You think?