Windows 10 vs. Linux Mint

Windows 10 vs. Linux Mint

help me Sup Forums with this important decision.

Been a faithful Windows user since way back - but not feeling the love for W10.

Should I switch to Linux, how difficult, is it worth it, will it cause more problems?

Other urls found in this thread:

networkworld.com/article/3094708/windows/a-look-at-how-well-ubuntu-linuxs-unity-desktop-runs-natively-on-windows-10.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I switched from 8.1 to Mint. My PC and BIOS was as incompatible as you can get, I had the worst luck and worst hardware as far as compatibility goes that you can get. I still got it relatively easily, I kept my C: separate and just installed it onto an internal SSD. It was a small headache to get everything working, like a few hours but after that I'm so glad I did it. It never gets slow, it's always zippy and clean.

I highly recommend it.

Do you compute mostly for games? If so, stick with Windows. Holy shit.
Do you not play any pc games? Then sure, go to Linux. Less headache for sure.

I keep Ubuntu on my laptop and Windows on my desktops. Why not Ubuntu, OP?

>The year of our Lord Trump 2010 plus six pennis I stole from Muslims

>Not using Debian over Mint.

Of you wanna switch to Linux go for manjaro. Otherwise stay on windows

you can dualboot pretty easily just get a 60gig hard drive to install linux on and no problem

or be smart about it and stick to windows 7 although with the recent developments with wine its starting to look like windows might be on its way out in general so you could just wait for that

All the popular kids use Ubuntu, nerd

Win10 = botnet
Mint = forget gaming, pro audio/video

>be smart about it and stick to windows 7
> win 7
> smart

8.1 and classic shell, you fucking retard.

i tried 8.1 and even with classic shell i didnt like it seems it was still bloated to fuck with unnecessary shit and really ended up being no improvement on 7

Depending on your hardware,
If you use steam you can still game. (depending on the game of course.)
I recently installed mint on my laptop, Dota 2 plays good, I can still switch between my Nvidia card and intel (For power savings/ non gaming)
If you have only one computer, re partition and dual boot. Test it out for a couple days. If you have two, install on second and only use that comp.

Personally after ubuntu added in the amazon search feature, i saw them turn to the darkness.

Even though it now comes disabled by default, I already lost the trust i had for them. Mint is still based on Ubuntu, they also have a Debian Distro now too. Cutting out the Ubuntu Middle Man. :D

Upside of mint, they do use Ubuntu's Software Sources, so you still have ALL of their programs / utilities.

Personally, i love Cinnamon (Their GUI), Very windows like, easy to navigate.

Op do mint, centos, fedora and there's a few more. Mint is awesome for who want it to work and no shit. If you game well it's linux so install virtalbox and put Windows 7 in there. You will love Linux. Been using it for a long time. Its not bloated, no Windows going to make you but it, really no viruses, it's fast and stable. You can burn shit, watch movies, listen to music, edit pics and so on. So enjoy the new life.

Fair enough. I really enjoy the Ubuntu gui. Moreso than I like Windows, so I prefer it by default. Debian/Ubuntu/Mint really is the way to go with Linux though.

What are the features that set this one aside from others. It looks like it is based on Ubuntu.

Def is,
Mint - Beginner
Ubuntu - Mild
Debian - Advanced

New linuxfag here, does anyone use a tiling based window manager here?
I.e. blackbox,openbox etc.
If so, how are you finding it? Would you recommend it over something vanilla say... gnome/kde/xfce?

Ubuntu is easy to use. Mint is easy for Windows users to get in board with as it's easy to follow along with

Pretty sure most GUI's use tiling now. As well as side snapping. (Cinnamon atleast has features for it. I had to disable a few tiling features to make it work more like windows.

Example: Dragging to the top of the screen tiled the windows, rather than maximizing.

Agreed. Windows 8 anything is trash

Switched to Mint just over a year ago, and never looked back.

Most games I play on steam work just fine, everything runs faster.

I recommend putting it on a flashdrive and trying it out, that way, you also have the option of sticking to Windows, setting up dual boot, or fully converting.

don't on the DE hipster's band wagon, you won't be cool for using i3 or Awesome wm.
I vote for XFCE

Pepermint os master race

Dude I've been trying to switch over to Linux for a good ten years now, and I am never happy with what Linux has to offer, the only one I've been remotely happy with is Kali Linux

Just run linux desktop on win10
networkworld.com/article/3094708/windows/a-look-at-how-well-ubuntu-linuxs-unity-desktop-runs-natively-on-windows-10.html

Run Mint in a VM first and see how you like it.

kali is definitely not made for regular computer users.. would definitely not recommend for almost anyone

If you're on a desktop. I suggest dual booting. Linux on laptop is not for the faint of heart. You'll be stuck inside a terminal for hours on end trying to solve the most trivial of functions

blackbox and openbox is not a tiling window manager

it's literally this:
are you going to use it to play games?
yes → windows
no → any Ubuntu distribution

I think ZORIN is an overlooked Win replacement.. it even has windows themes you can switch to

>Windows 10 vs. Linux Mint
Why not both? Never used Mint, but Win10 is a great improvement over 8/8.1. Just have to turn off the assistant and some other things, but I recommend keeping Windows for Windows only programs you may want to use.

Windows for me because linux distros can only use wired connections

Linux on laptop is fucking bullshit.

>linux distros can only use wired connections
What? Who told you that?

Got mint on my laptop now, wireless, and not any issues.

Easy setup? What about a second screen, would that cause trouble?

I had mint on a flashdrive, loaded it up on an empty Solid State, clicked install Mint. Done.

Got 2 screens on my desktop with no trouble, different sizes even. Have not tried 2 screens on laptop

Mint recently got compromised and the developers didn't do shit about it and let themselves get fucked up the ass. Don't use mint. Use Ubuntu instead. Waaaaaaay better. Plus if Mint is based on Ubuntu why not use the best? (yes Ubuntu is based on Debian but Debian should be used on servers IMO)

Oh and if you like games don't even bother and do w10.

I use Mint on my laptop for most of my non-gaming stuff. I really like it's ease of use. Still trying to decide what browser to use on the thing.