Why does Sup Forums never talk about the Man in Black?

Why does Sup Forums never talk about the Man in Black?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1iKEPzF1Js
youtube.com/watch?v=1zA0IOcVJ50
youtube.com/watch?v=5vkYVWA6yzY
youtube.com/watch?v=IVPE7LiQvn4
youtube.com/watch?v=y_uM87NTFW4
youtube.com/watch?v=iAbgmXVaOc8?
youtube.com/watch?v=rgK-1mpSljI
youtube.com/watch?v=0TE8445gIBo
youtube.com/watch?v=7pK1N7h5gM8
youtube.com/watch?v=pNAfPvzTBmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgmJATjaGf0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1KRnkKNlc
youtube.com/watch?v=nkk26T2U92Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_FA9WaOWBMk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's charming, but every time I listen to him I always feel a bit like some Emperor's New Clothes shit is going on. Everything you read about him makes him out to be a nuanced performer, but to me he sounds like he sings everything the exact same way. I can only take so much of it at any one time.

What's there to talk about?
The man who missed more shows than he played? Or the way he sings every song like he has no range emotionally or technically?

Overrated alcoholic.

literally one of the most overrated musicians ever
got famous pretending to be an outlaw and had none of the integrity or passion that any of the real outlaws had

also, his cover of hurt was nothing better than average; people meme it because they're unwilling to admit that reznor can write good music in between all of his edgy metal crap, and pretend that cash's sterilized version somehow elevated the song instead of stripping away most of the tension that made the original impactful

He at least had a genuine, down-o-earth quality that country has almost completely lacked since - he'd seen some shit. Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney or whoever's popular now
almost completely lack that, they just sound like some producer's idea of what country ought to be like to be marketable. Cash has this almost Gothic quality about him, going back to folk songs like Ghost Riders - he sings about prison and drugs and poverty, where modern Top 40 country is just bland, charicatured Jeff Foxworthy tier shit about tractors and beer. I mean, just compare "Fulsom Prison Blues" to fucking "Red Solo Cup" or whatever's on the radio now, it's night and day.

*Fuck, it's late, one too many "almost completely"s in there.

Nothing too amazing about him, he was a good balance of country and rockabilly for mainstream audiences.
I do love Ring of Fire and the story behind it.

Noone is denying top 40 country is trash.
Johnny Cash is a boring guy to listen to.
His greatest hits albums are like the one song on repeat 60 fucken times because the cunt wouldn't stop recording Walk the line with different lyrics

In his early days, then he quit and made the most famous live album ever made. And that style of country/folk music doesn't need high vocal chords, he isn't singing opera.

One of the two tolerable country stars. I don't know why everyone else is ragging on him so hard, he is elevated dadrock.

Man Comes Around is his best imo.

I have no idea where this hate for him is coming from just cause Hurt is so memed. His lyrics were on par with Dylan's though a completely different style. Live at folsom prison is easily a top 5 live album. His conversational vocal style also helps. He knew how to use his lower register. Had a good ear for melody. Also Cash Hurt >= Reznor Hurt.

>doesn't need high vocal chords
wasn't saying he needed that.
He needed to be more interesting.
barely two octaves with the one emotion for every song is a bit tedious at best

>One of the two tolerable country stars.
Ok, I'll bite, who's the other? Nelson?

Because most people on this board don't listen to music before 1967 so I never think to bring him up. Obviously I like him quite a bit and At Folsom Prison and At San Quentin are two of the best live albums ever but those ones at least I assume everyone has already heard.

You must hate Bob Dylan too.

Bob Dylan songs? no.
Bob Dylan performing them? Horrid.

Kys

Shelton.

Boys Round Here is KINO to my ears

You should use a trip

>there are shitbirds on this board RIGHT NOW who don't love Hank Williams
I thought this was supposed to be a music board

Like LSD?

like a tripcode so I can filter your terrible opinions

youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc
umadbro?

I always remember this music video because when I was on the computer in the same room as my heavily religious old man, he was flipping through the channels like he always did and when he saw that music video, he quickly switched because of the sexualization but then gave in and went back, I was secretly laughing at him hoping his wife would come downstairs

Dear god. You mean the "boys round here, drinkin' that ice cold beer... chew tobacco, spit" one? That's pretty much exactly what I was don't like about modern country...

I have a weird liking for this film clip.
I'm never sure if it's a parody or not.

Yeah, it's kinda like that popular Big & Rich song to me...at first it's funny, and then I'm left wondering if it's actually genuine? Because I have to imagine with the sort of stuff the audience of that kind've music already believes, they may be taking this stuff seriously too and the artist's satirical intent may be lost entirely to the audience

What are considered his essential tracks? So far I heard

>Ring of Fire
>Walk the Line
>Man in Black
>I Won't Back Down
>Fulsom Prison Blues
>God's Gonna Cut You Down
>San Quentin
>A Boy Named Sue
>Ghost Riders in the Sky
>What is Truth
>Hurt

I've been enjoying this song lately. Someone posted it in a thread I made about violent old country songs a week or two ago. Since then I've learned to play it (not hard, but I'm a bit of a noob) and even came up with my own rockabilly style for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1iKEPzF1Js

U2 - The Wanderer

>Cocaine Blues
>I Still Miss Someone
>The Legend of John Henry's Hammer
>Don't Take Your Guns to Town

And in my personal opinion, most of the songs on Songs of Our Soil and Songs That Made Him Famous

You mean like 90% of rappers?

I genuinely never got the hate for Dylan's voice. Some of his 80s stuff he forgot to sing tunefully at all but all of his 60s and 70s stuff he sounds great on to the point I couldn't picture anyone else singing it, and his 90s-present stuff use his more limited older voice well.

Nah I'm just fucking with you. The second one was actually Hank Williams

Underrated choice. One of my favorites by him.

I also really like his cover of I won't back down. Just sounds much more badass than tom petty's versions

I'm not sure it's underrated but rather that people forget to credit it to Johnny Cash, I prefer Cash over U2 but I always think of that as one of U2's best songs (on one of their best albums)

youtube.com/watch?v=1zA0IOcVJ50

Not the guy you were talking to but your original comment was the reason I posted this

Mercy Seat is a good cover too. There's a number of them that are arguably better than Hurt, Personal Jesus, etc.

Oh, and I should mention the biggest reason I don't talk about him on here despite having something like 1000 plays of him is because most people will think of the American albums when you bring him up and those aren't what I grew up on or associate with him so there's no discussion to be had

One Piece at a Time for the memes
Poor, Wayfaring Stranger for the chills

Well it looks like we've come full circle

youtube.com/watch?v=5vkYVWA6yzY

Btw, if anyone here is one of those hip-hop types, the great song Five Feet High and Rising by Cash is where they took the name of their debut album

You'd have to recommend me something, I'm not as well versed in Dylan as cash.
I'm always open to a mind changer

Tony Joe White is underrated, Willie and Laura Mae Jones is a great song

Not him but try Desire

I didn't know about him at all till me and my old boss were talking about Cash and he got to singing Polk Salad Annie for a few days.
"Polk salad Annie, gators got yer grannie" hee

youtube.com/watch?v=IVPE7LiQvn4

What a neat song. Thank you for sharing

>his cover of hurt was nothing better than average; people meme it because they're unwilling to admit that reznor can write good music in between all of his edgy metal crap, and pretend that cash's sterilized version somehow elevated the song instead of stripping away most of the tension that made the original impactful
How's the Wi-Fi at Hot Topic ?

Most people know about him from Elvis covering Polk Salad Annie in one of his famous tv specials

I just like him because he has undeniably an American South sound but it's quite good instead of just lowest common denominator stuff, I wish that sound was used in more good music

Wanted Man
Big River
Get Rhythm
Cocaine Blues
Jackson
If I were a Carpenter

The original was way more interesting.
But people don't want interesting, they want 4 chords and an easy tune to listen to

No, it wasn't. The original was melodramatic trash for faux-deep teenagers to empathize with. Cash used his deadpan delivery perfectly with regards to how the context of the song had changed.

>melodramatic trash for faux-deep teenagers to empathize with
What do you think Johnny Cash was?

We can observe the differences in meaning between the songs by analyzing the most emblematic line they share, "You can have it all / My empire of dirt."

In Reznor's original, we can understand the "empire of dirt" to be a large cast of land upon which nothing is planted- indeed, symbolic for the vast wasted potential of the protagonists life. All he has to offer is his limitless potential and the promise that he won't live up to any of it (I will let you down / I will make you hurt).

In contrast, Cash's cover forces us to look at this lyric in a different light. With Cash, we can view the "empire of dirt" as the ruins of Cash's life, which as he was nearing the end was worthless to him. He has nothing left to offer because his empire has run its course, and his time has passed- he's just unlucky enough to be stuck in his mortal coil while he waits to catch up. He has nothing left to give but a shattered, soon-to-be-over life and the disappointment that anyone would receive from investing in him emotionally so soon before his death.

Reznor is complaining about being such a wuss that he is failing to launch, while Cash is reflecting on his own mortality and the life he sees crumbling around him.

Is this really so hard to figure out ?

Why can't you post like this all the time?

>Cash's cover is better because he was old as fuck when he recorded it.

k

Great reading comprehension, I'm sure that your parents are proud of you.

I could also go into how his vocal delivery doesn't sound like he just slapped on his fingerless gloves and eyeliner, how he doesn't milk an extra two and a half minutes out of the song just to be as melodramatic and cheesy as possible, how he tastefully replaced the awkward "crown of shit" line with "crown of thorns" which actually made sense in the context of both his life and the song, how he uses the unresolved dissonances of the piano keys to a greater and far more subtle effect than Reznor wailing about while throwing as much "epic" production on top of his drums as possible, and so on.

I'm actually baffled as to how some people can disagree with this, unless they secretly lust for the cheese and melodrama of an after-school special about teen suicide.

This youtube.com/watch?v=y_uM87NTFW4 is the same as this youtube.com/watch?v=iAbgmXVaOc8?

Which is funny (and true), considering Petty and the Heartbreakers are backing him on it.

The man comes around

Well now I want to catch me that Johnny Chicken show. Lol. Funny song. I almost can't believe he agreed to do that video.

The amount of people who say "All country is bad but I like Johnny Cash" have made him a bit of a meme.

He did come up with A Boy Named Sue which is the tune of that song so it's not surprising he could have a little fun

This is the best Cash song. Fucking hilarious.

youtube.com/watch?v=rgK-1mpSljI

>the state of this fucking music discussion board

Which Johnny Cash are you retards even shitting on? You realize the man completely reinvented himself as a person let alone as a musician half a dozen times over his DECADES of enduring popularity.

Just talking about his early Sun Records, the Tennessee Two sound was perfect. It was incredibly rare for those musicians to write their own material and Cash's simple emotional lyrics in Walk the Line, Cry Cry Cry, Big River are timeless. There was essentially no one else in rock 'n' roll that was so competent at incorporating folk music, country, the blues and gospel into popular music.

Not really different enough from the original

My first music crush. I was at junior high school then. I made an essay about his gospel music in the eyes of a child who has atheist background. The reader loved it.

Post good songs for this bad thread

youtube.com/watch?v=0TE8445gIBo

youtube.com/watch?v=7pK1N7h5gM8

youtube.com/watch?v=pNAfPvzTBmQ

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgmJATjaGf0

youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1KRnkKNlc

youtube.com/watch?v=nkk26T2U92Q

>that any of the real outlaws had

Who are these "real" outlaws you speak of?

Trent Reznor obviously, he's a true OG gangsta.

rock island line is great

Marty Robbins is another singer that was never a real "cowboy" or "lone ranger" or anything like that, but his music is fantastic. its just kind of weird to think that the same guy did a Hawaiian style album too.

>You mean like 90% of rappers?

What a terrible example. 90% of rappers are violent savages who murder and rape

Gimme them (You)s

Are you telling me Cash never actually shot a man in reno just to watch him die? Fucking dropped.

youtube.com/watch?v=_FA9WaOWBMk

He did a lot of amphetamines and pissed off Nixon, if that helps.

She Silverstein wrote A Boy Named Sue, actually.

Nixon was his favorite President.