Please explain how this is not the best Kanye album? This was a perfect move for his career...

Please explain how this is not the best Kanye album? This was a perfect move for his career, it inspired people in hip hop to go this route, and it was full of great songs

Love lockdown = top 3 kanye track

> your move as to what the other 2 are

Some of the worst beats he ever made in his career, generally uninteresting songs with only 2 of them being memorable, and the people who were 'inspired' by this schtick did it 20X better (which I'll admit is a plus).

prob Jesus walks and runaway

Replace Love Lockdown with Street Lights.

>Runaway
>New Slaves

which two? I find all of them except robocop to be memorable.

top 3 Kanye tracks
>Amazing
>Family Business
>Runaway

anything else is dishonest

Paranoid and Robo-.

oh....alright then.

My top 3
(4. I am a god)
3. Through the wire
2. champion
1. Paranoid

robocop is so fucking good
those strings make me hard

Amazing didn't need Young Jeezy.

His and Wayne's inclusions are my only gripes with 808s, and I like the two.

>Homecoming
>Spaceship
>School spirit

I miss the old Kanye

Family business is a fucking masterpiece and I don't give a shit about anything anyone else says

Pros:
Melodic, even catchy
Great concept
Good features that don't impede anything

Cons:
Way overlong
A few repetitive and/or boring songs

how is 45 minutes "way overlong"?

Robocop was boring IMO. I find 808s to be a good album, but all of the complaints about 808s I think are really only true about robocop

op here, and paranoid was fucking fire I agree with that

how do i make 808s sound like this? nothing seems close.

Anybody else think that Late Reg was his worst album behind TLOP

Damn straight, brother.

I think that's the ONLY track fans and non-fans of the album agree on.

Yeezus>MBDTF>808s>TLOP>CD>LR>Graduation

Replace Amazing with Through The Wire and there's mine
>School Spirit
Love the song but still kind of a strange choice for his best imo

52 with Pinnochio Story. I tend to think 35 minutes is a good benchmark for how long albums should be. But with 808s, the problem isn't so much the overall length as it is the individual song lengths.

Most of these songs don't need 4-6 minutes to get all their musical ideas across, especially when you consider the pop-oriented melodies.

You were put on this planet just to piss me off.
no hate tho
CD>808s>Graduation>MBDTF>Yeezus>LR>TLOP

>Alpha step, omega step, kappa step, sigma step
That shit got me into Kanye, don't know why but the hook is absolutely magnetic to me

>LR That low
>808 that high
I don't get it guys, I'm sorry.

Personal taste:
MBDTF>LR>CD>Graduation>Yeezus>TLOP>808S

MBDTF was just as long as College Dropout but it only had like half of the amount of songs. People generally consider that his best album, I don't understand why you think that 35 minutes is a good length

808s is not his worst. Even if it is not his best, it is not worse than the garbage that was TLOP. That shit stank. Shit had 3 good songs, and one of them was the fucking bonus track.

let's be real guys

CD>MBDTF>808s>LR>Yeezus>Graduation>TLOP

I WANNA GUESS!
Real Friends, No More Parties, and 30 Hours?

Ok if you don't wanna put 808s at the very bottom, fine, but there's no god damn way it's better than LR.

Switch LR and Graduation and I can be happy dying

Ultralight Beam
Real Friends
Saint Pablo

love both of them so 808s and LR are pretty interchangeable but i listen to 808s more

He matured a lot on his later works. I never get putting CD at the top unless it's for nostalgia.

I'm not as big on his soul-sound, though. Abrasive Kanye is best Kanye.

Definitely, the sample and chorus are awesome and appropriate, sounds like something you could actually hear at a college football game or something like that; same thing with Spaceship, it sounds exactly like a retail jingle, with an unconventional time signature in regards to hip-hop to boot

LR was kanye's least innovative work. It was just more college dropout, in graduation he changed shit up, and did more.
1.30 hours
2. Saint Pablo
3. Wolves (Preffered it more with frank, but its still good)

>It was just more college dropout
It was college dropout 3X better with string sections, better drum machines, and more interesting samples.

Well, MBDTF is a whole other animal. I have real mixed feelings about it. CD and LR warrant the length due to the format, I think.

I'm all about conciseness. If I'm listening to the same beat and loops 5 minutes in, I consider that a flaw. He got this aspect right on Yeezus, and also on TLOP, which is a long album but the songs are individually quick (and the ones that aren't merit the length).

the energy on CD is ridiculous, definitely my favorite Kanye

plus the skits are the best

The top one is why college dropout is so good. It was him taking out his frustrations, while cleverly throwing in good producing. New Kanye is all about complaining about shit no one other than him has to deal with. His shit used to be expression, but now it is more like an art project. Yeezus = shitty arts and crafts, CD= A sad dude taking out his frustrations on the world, sharing his story. On CD dude raps with his jaw wired shut.

No I have never had sex, but I bet I can count all the change in your purse very fast

>All Falls Down
>Jesus Walks
>Spaceship
>Never Let Me Down
>Two Words
>Family Business
no other Kanye album has more of my favorite Kanye songs

it was just a step between CD and graduation. I would listen to either of those albums over LR any day of my life

HWAT IN THE PFUCK WAS THAT, KAN-YE?

CD had a lot more filler and Grad had a lot more duds, though.

Also let me emphasise: THE STRINGS ON LR. SO. FUCKIN. GOOD.

I've thought it was his best since it came out and listened to nothing but it for a month straight but I have a serious boner for the kind of mood he was trying to convey. Song for song it's probably not my favorite quality-wise but in terms of aesthetics the whole sad, cold, minimalistic angle this album works is a runaway winner for me. He taps back into that magic again very occasionally on TLOP but man is that album hit and miss for me.

I just like the progression as an artist, and LR was the shittiest for his growth as an artist.

A-fucking-greed. Kanye stopped being any sort of relatable with MBDTF, save for the left field return to form that is Real Friends. Problem with the albums after that one is that he did the manic depressive grandstanding a lot better on the first try. Now his stuff is just garish and flashy, like Graduation but worse. Sonically interesting but thematically vapid.

just a question, do you like the new J Cole Album?

Nah, LR feels significantly grander and more orchestral than CD.

Wouldn't know.

not him but the new j cole is extremely weak, not even from a kanye stan perspective

I agree, but he said he liked kanye thematically, and that is something redeeming about the new j cole album

College Dropout
>has the classic underdog to champion story that can pretty easily win you over, and is a classic element of hip-hop >does what Kanye wanted it to do, which is "whatever you may be feeling in any particular moment, I have a song about it on my album," it expresses defiance, frustration, longing, hope, confidence, sadness at points, sexual desire, disdain, hype, triumph in the face of adversity, camaraderie, familial warmth, and celebratory merriment
>has Kanye's characteristic ego, but a little bit more down-to-earth so it's not as off-putting
>has some of his most classic punchlines and braggadocio, coupled with the more heartwarming songs about his faith in God, his girl, his recovery from injury, and his family
>has a number of called shots which pretty much all came true
>is not without musical merit
>helped make chipmunk soul a popular element to the Chicago sound >Graduation Day and Jesus Walks have experiments in autotune which Kanye refines later
>I'll Fly Away is a barbershop tune on a rap album
>Spaceship has an unconventional time signature for hip-hop at least
>The New Workout Plan has an evolving beat with changes in conventional song structure and tempo at points
>Through The Wire has unique vocal inflection and a chorus overshadowed by dialogue, something fairly strange in a single
>Family Business keeps the chorus fresh each time
>Last Call has that amazing and appropriate 12 minute outro with constantly changing and pausing backing instrumentation; he even breaks the flow and keeps it fresh by rapping a bit during it
>putting all this in the context of what was popular in rap at the time makes these even more amazing
There are plenty of reasons to rank it highly in my opinion

Fucked up the spacing but here are two more points for musical merit
>good variation in flows; Kanye raps slow at times, normal speed at times, quickly at some points, and sometimes interrupts his flow mid-beat, and the featured artists mostly bring their unique flows to the table, so each track sounds fairly different in terms of delivery
>Two Words also plays with structure by having the rap verse spill over into the rap chorus, this also happens on Get 'Em High I think
And one more general thing
>Kanye's rhyming is mostly basic compared to similarly lauded hip-hop artists across his discography, but on this album in particular, it adds to his artistic integrity, along with the album's intention: he was a producer from a middle-class background trying to make it as a novice MC fairly late in the game (late 20's), and the rhyming and overall diction reflect that; it's "delightfully flawed" if I could describe his raps succinctly. You really get the impression that this is his own style and voice that present themselves in his raps. This trait of Kanye's (the basic rapping) does become more indefensible in subsequent albums, however.