I'm bored Sup Forums

I'm bored Sup Forums

Ask a PhD student in informatics anything

What job prospects like postdoc?

NYPA, dumbass.

Bad, but I don't want to be a postdoc afterwards anyways. I'm going (back) into the industry.

Uh, I'm fairly sure this wasn't a personal army request

what the fuck are you talking about you moron, he didn't ask for anything

Any onion links you can share ?

Not anything that isn't on the hidden wiki anyway, if that's still up.

Why haven't you killed yourself yet?
Also maybe consider killing yourself.

>Why haven't you killed yourself yet?
Not suicidal

>Also maybe consider killing yourself.
Will take that to consideration

What's the point of a phd if you're not interested in academia?

where do you study?

Minimal requirement for most jobs in my country is a master degree and since university is "free", everyone has one. I want to stand out.

Also, I really want to be attractive to large international companies (such as Intel or Nvidia) and in order to compete with others, I really need a PhD.

Oslo, Norway.

I recently got a degree in informatics and I'm working on getting a 2nd degree now because I there's not diddly squat I can do with what I have other than work in tech support and contemplate hanging myself with whatever cables would be at hand.

NYPA fuckfag

how much time do you spend on Sup Forums on a workday?

I feel bad for you user. Where do you live? In my experience, getting a masters degree seriously boosted my attractiveness to potential employers.

Not a personal army request, newfriend.

1 to 5 hours, depending on my mood. There has been occasions with more, and there has been days where I haven't done that at all too.

Snownigger

you need to work on some of your own projects to have some kind of experience to show for, that's how you stand out. phd will just scare employers you'll be too expensive and doesn't do a whole lot for you either before or after you get the job. either way the initial screening is hardest, after that networking is very easy

source: masters in information technology, working in startup and have contacts in big corps

what the fuck is "informatics"

Central/Eastern Europe, the thing is I didn't even learn anything useful that I couldn't just google

Well, my secondary reason for getting a PhD was that I was tired with the bullshit I had to deal when I was working and I wanted to have the possibility of working with bleeding edge technology.

The PhD I'm doing is a semi-industry PhD, meaning that the Norwegian Research Council have a fund of money that they give out to businesses that seek to work in projects with academia. So in other words, I'm collaborating with a company and I will most likely get a job offer from them when I'm done.

A PhD isn't really scary to employers here, only a 1/3 of my friends who did a PhD stayed in academia, the rest went to the industry. There are even plenty of job descriptions in Norway that actually require a PhD, since there has been an inflation of the value of masters degrees.

Computer Science in most European countries.

bump

Will quantum encryption ever be available for the public?

Don't know, quantum computing is more in the domain of physics I'm afraid.

Most likely not in a really long while.

Which programming language has brightest future? And which you prefer?

>Thinking there's snow and ice in Scandinavia the entire year

Pic related, it can be warm over there as well faggit

Why not get into computer science/data science and make more money for easier work

what the hell is informatics?

Informatics is computer science

But money is not what motivates me, if it was I would have dropped out of my masters and continued with doing the web development stuff I did then full-time instead.

I went from a relatively well paying job as an embedded developer to live of a PhD student salary. So money doesn't really motivate me much.

Of course, I need to be able to afford certain things like food and bills and paying down my mortgage, but other than that I don't really care.

See

Right so very similar skill set yet informatics inexplicably makes less

Uh, I'm not following you. Informatics is what we call computer science here, there are no other fields of study called "computer science".

Oh. Where do you live?

Norway

Do you have to teach? What are your classes like? Also, how long is a dissertation in informatics, and what is included?

3 Degrees is not warm

did you like your degree better when they just called it statistics

>Do you have to teach?
I don't, but some do. PhD programmes are either 3 or 4 years, the 4 year ones usually entail teaching, but I'm not hired directly by the university but rather working at a separate research institute only affiliated with the university.

>What are your classes like?
I don't teach, so. But I do have do take 30 ETCS of classes (which is equal to one semester).

>Also, how long is a dissertation in informatics, and what is included?
30 ECTS of classes, where 5 ECTS has to be this bullshit course called "seminar on history, ethics and philosophy in science", the remaining 25 are free of choice (although they have to be approved by the appointed PhD committee).

The dissertation itself can either be a monogram (120+ pages) or a paper collection (40 pages + all your publications). There are also a requirement to number of publications and to the impact factor of those publications (as in what journals and conferences you have published to).

Informatics not "data science" or "information science", it's computer science. In my case it's even more like computer engineering to be honest.

Interesting. I am from Denmark, and there's a similar system here. We call them "Erhvervs PhD" ("business" PhD). I'm currently writing my application for a PhD program, but it's more of a "classic" program in the sense that I'd be directly hired by the university. I'd have to teach, supervise and other stuff. Provided I get the position.

I work within the humanities, so a typical dissertation is between 250 and 350 pages. Pretty daunting!

Anyway, enjoy the PhD thing, dude. I am hugely envious. Being a PhD student is my dream.

Don't make fun of eggy. He's an inspiration to myself and many others. Bless up.

Takk skal du ha.

Informatics student in Sweden here. Uni is also free here but you most certainly don't need a PhD for a job outside of universities.

You don't "need" one, but I'm tired of dealing with bullshit.

See