Name a more influential artist since 2000

Name a more influential artist since 2000.

I'll wait.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4XaDeC2LEdA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You cucking nigger fag

He's the #2 all-time greatest.

#1 is everyone else.

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

his new song hit number 1 as well so hes still relevant.

Would be nothing without Timbaland.

Peak charts:
College Dropout #2 in US.
Late Registration #1
Graduation #1
808s #1
MBDTF #1
Yeezus #1
The Life of Pablo #1

Looks like you got those reversed, bitch.

Kanye West is the Adam Sandler of music.

Both are incredibly-lazy, both have one trick up their sleeve (in Adam's case, being occasionally REALLY LOUD! and in Kanye's case, being a monotone, egocentric "musician" who really, really enjoys writing lyrics about himself) and they're both constantly surrounded by "yes men" who are paid good salaries by the company to "keep the product happy"...

... but God forbid you tell their fans that. This is the reason why.

Kanye's laziness mirrors his fan's own laziness. Kanye, like each and every one of his fans, has never done a day's worth of hard work, in his life... and his fans know it. "Integrity", "loyalty", "honor"? These are mere buzzwords for the average Kanye West fan. They are archaic. A thing of the past. In the new millennium, it's all about self-promotion at any cost and through every outlet of media (and social media) possible.

Hold a mirror up to the average Kanye West fan by telling them the truth about their icon, and it's like putting a vampire in a solarium. They'll shrink away from it in shame and guilt, but eventually that shame and guilt will become something else. Rage.

Now, let's have a laugh at Kanye's defenders having a good, old-fashioned rage.

Distant friend holds degree in engineering and psychology, and is pretty much a defenition of try-hard. Big kanye west fan.
OTOH, he's also a big "yeah look at me Im such a hard worker I did this".

>Would be nothing without Timbaland.
says the guy thats defending a artist that legit steals music from everyone and cant make up his own beats.
youtube.com/watch?v=4XaDeC2LEdA

Let me give you every reason that Kanye West is nothing but an undeserved scapegoat, who had provided nothing but top-tier music since his debut. Let me school you with some straight facts:

Kanye, despite his publicity stunts, is regarded by many as a kind, compassionate individual. He often talks to his fans, and from all accounts is genuinely interested in what they have to say, what their life is like, and what their goals are. This is somebody who for the past nine years has been public enemy number one. It would be easy for him to go into absolute seclusion, and bitterly resent everybody, but he doesn't. He has a passion behind what he does, and it reflects in his music. Rick Rubin regards Kanye as the most influential and groundbreaking artist in hip-hop at the moment. Paul McCartney regards Kanye as a genius. He invited Seth Rogen and James Franco to perform their "Bound 3" parody at his wedding. He has won the love and respect of anybody who genuinely takes an interest in his music (Which has won 21 grammy awards, might I add). Despite the VMA incident, Kanye and Taylor Swift are good friends, and Swift herself has a deep respect for Kanye as an artist.

Not to mention, the dude has not had it easy. He slaved for years as a producer before finally making his big break on the production for Jay-Z's Blueprint, with beats for Ain't No Love (Heart of the City) and I.Z.Z.O (Takeover). Despite his success as a producer, everybody told him he couldn't rap, and would never make it.

Lol artist. Dat manlet nigger has done nothing but ride on the coat tails of a bunch of legit artists who actually have musical talent and compose music and go broke. Can you even imagine a white pop star bragging about having a father who was in the kkk? He would be murdered by the media or sum retarded gangbanging nigger. Lol kanye is 50 million in debt because he is a talentless and lazy nigger with an iq of 75.

He eventually dropped College Dropout in 2004, reinventing the game with an album full of incredible soul-beats at a time where everybody was still trying to copy the G-Funk West Coast vibe Dr. Dre's 2001 had left. The album had smash hits like Through the Wire, where he rapped about his near-death experience in a car crash while STILL WEARING his reconstructive mouthgear; or his club-hit about Jesus in Jesus Walks, at a time where you weren't going to get anything religious on the radio unless you're on country/gospel station in the South.

Late Registration debuted 2005, with a completely fresh Soul sound, and featuring the talents of Adam Levine (Maroon 5), Nas, Jay-Z, and of course Jamie Foxx in his smash hit "Gold Digger". I don't care who you are, this song had everybody dancing and was played and still is played in every club from New York to Tokyo to Berlin. His other single "Diamonds From Sierra Lione" touched on the issues of Blood Diamonds and the exploitation of Africans by Africans

> Over here, its the drug trade - we die from drugs/ Over there, they die from what we buy from drugs

This album also has one of his most heart-felt songs Kanye has produced to date: "Hey Mama", his tribute to his mother Donda West, who raised him as single black mother in Chicago, with all the trials and tribulations that brought. The song is a beautiful display of a man who has a deepfound respect for the one who gave him everything.
> I was three years old when you and I moved to the Chi/ Late december, harsh winter gave me a cold/ You fixed me up something that was good for my soul/ Famous homemade chicken soup, can I have another bowl?/ You worked late nights just to keep on the lights/ Momma got the training wheels so I could keep on my bike/ ... and it don't gotta be mother's day/ or your birthday for me to just call and say: 'Mama!' I wanna scream so loud for you/ cause i'm so proud of you.

so u just described the backstory of every artist out there, who the fuck has it ez and doesn't come up with a sad backstory,
even fucking youtubers act like they have/had it rough WHO THE FUCK DOESN'T. Everyone has different struggles. A lot of people say they respect everyone cause if they did say they hated them its just unwanted attention. and media "beef".

2007 Kanye released Graduation. This was a completely new sound to his previous Soulful works. This had a heavy techno/EDM inspiration, from artists such as Daft Punk, in addition to the influence of House Music with its Chi-town origins. His hit song "Stronger", sampling the also famous Daft Punk song "Harder, Better, Faster" was played once again world-wide in every club from L.A. to London to Sydney. It was groundbreaking, as Kanye melded genres that nobody had been able to meld. He gave popularity to the Robotic Voice trope that many artists copy to this day, and re-purposed auto-tune. It was no longer for untalented hacks who couldn't sing: It was for artists who wanted to give a specific feel to their music.

Then by 2008, things really started going south for Kanye. His mother passed away due to complications with a cosmetic surgical operation, his relationship with his girlfriend was deteriorating, and he had a hatred of himself. It was in this despair and desperation that he produced his darkest work, "808s and Heartbreaks", which is essentially his thesis on pop music, providing us with an incredible set of pop beats, all of which were phenomenal, and embracing the cold, detached Robot Voice that he had popularized as a way of reflecting the depression and lack of joy and humanity he possessed. The album provided him an avenue to channel the dark times he was going through. The track "Coldest Winter" is directly about the passing of his mother, Donda

> It's 4am and I can't sleep/ Her love is all that I can see/ Memories made in the coldest winter/ goodbye my friend, will I ever love again/ If spring can take the snow away, can it wash away all our mistakes?/ Memories made in the coldest winter/ Goodbye my friend, I won't ever love again

Then, in 2010 Kanye releases his Magnum Opus, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". Critically acclaimed and regarded by many as the greatest rap album of all time, this album blew everybody out of the water, with not a single bad track. It received the near impossible 10/10 rating by Pitchfork, putting it in the same league as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Abbey Road" by the Beatles, "London Calling" by The Clash, and "Animals" by Pink Floyd. It was deeply self-reflexive, and in most senses a powerful declaration that he was not defeated, that he is in fact at the top of his game and that nothing can stop Yeezy season approaching. His song "Power" is nothing short of an inspiring, uplifting, empowering composition which firmly asserts that Kanye is back, and he does not give a flying fuck.

> Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it/ I guess every superhero need his theme music

His other single "All of the Lights" has a whopping fifteen extra artists, including Rihanna, Elton John, Fergie, Kid Cudi and many others. I could write a whole essay on Runaway, or Blame Game

Then, in 2013 Kanye released "Yeezus", a.k.a. ABSOLUTE GENIUS. It is his anti-hiphop album of harsh, grinding samples, and disjointed jarring beats that comes together and by no sense of reason create some beautifully profound music. He denounces the institutional racism of the DEA and the CCA in his controversial track "New Slaves". He mocks the hubris and egocentrism that everybody sees him as having in his track I am a God, which takes the absolute piss out of the modern man who considers himself a god, with the absurd line

> I am a God/ So hurry up with my damn croissants!

Kanye has stopped caring what people think about him a long time ago.

Death Grips

thanks for the vid of kanye making every single one of those samples better in a transformative way.

kanye really is a god.

He has like 3 good songs. All the others sound generic. There are a few good rappers still out there today, why are people still hung up on Kanye?

apparentily this little fucker right here

they was already hits and he just used them again

He's influential for sure... Just not in a good way.

But that's not what makes the album ABSOLUTE GENIUS. It's the fact that the entire album is in fact an allegory depicting the Tragic fall of the "Yeezus" persona, going from absolute stardom and egotism with the strong, hard hitting, angry, egotistical tracks On Sight, Black Skinhead, I am a God, and New Slaves. Then, it shows the invevitable Tragic fall, like something straight from Aristotle himself: Hold My Liquor and I'm in it deal with Alcohol and Sex addiction in a way that shouts the typical social glorification of the Rockstar lifestyle, whilst robbing it of all its glory.

> Had to stop at 7/11 like I needed gas/ I'm lying I needed condoms don't look through the glass./ Chasing love all the bittersweet hours lost/ eating asian pussy all I need was sweet and sour sauce

The distorted sound of the tracks and the uneasy schizophrenic sampling shows the deterioration of the Yeezus persona as he get in too deep, the distortion of his voice throughout the song makes the listener realise the horror of what it is to embrace these aspects of life.

Blood on the Leaves is the climax of the album. He returns to the Robot Voice to show the detachment and emotionless state that his sinful ways have led him to, removing his humanity and making him a heartless, soulless machine. This song is the Anagnorisis of the album (Similar to when Oedipus realizes that he's married his mother in the Greek Tragedy). Yeezus has fallen low since he declared himself a god.

they was already hits and he just used them again

> Now you sittin' courtside, wifey on the other side/ Gotta keep 'em separated, I call that apartheid/ Then she said she impregnated, that's the night your heart died/ Then you gotta go and tell your girl and report that/ Main reason cause your pastor said you can't abort that/ Now your driver say that new Benz you can't afford that/ All that cocaine on the table you can't snort that/ That goin' to that owin' money that the court got/ All in on that alimony, uh, yeah-yeah, she got you homie/ 'til death but do your part, unholy matrimony.

Guilt Trip is a continuation of Yeezus' road to redemption, his catharsis (Continuation of his Robot Voice). It's Yeezus' attempts to overcome his failed relationship and coming to terms with his own fallibility.

> Focus on the future and let the crew knock her" "If you loved me so much then why'd you let me go? (x3)

Then, we get into the final stage with the last two songs: Send it Up and Bound 2.

Send it Up is Yeezus coming to terms with what has happened and joyfully choosing to put it all behind him.

> Reliving the past? Your loss

is the beginning of the song, and it ends with Beanie Mann singing

> Memories dont live like people do; They always 'member you/ whether things are good or bad/ it's just the memories that you had

At the end of Kanye's verse, he shows that the Yeezus persona has revived anew

> Yeezus just rose again.

Bound 2 is the 'happy ending' of Yeezus. Yeezus, after all that he's endured: the greatness, the loss, the suffering and the revival; he now is redeemed. He no longer is chasing the fame, the money, the superficial things, and he's found that

> One good girl [who] is worth a thousand bitches

meaning that he has a legitimate relationship with a woman, as opposed to all the bitchy girls that he's been dealing with. This girl gives him everything that Yeezus could ever ask for: companionship. The final lines of the song reflect their relationship. It's not perfect, but "you know, ain't nobody perfect". They celebrate the small milestones of making it to thanksgiving and to Christmas; perhaps they can make it all the way to the altar, but first she's going to need to forget and forgive the person that Yeezus was. In the last two lines, Yeezus sums up the entire journey, on a number of levels: After this long-ass journey and transition that Yeezus has gone through, reflecting the verses of these raps and self-reflection; or the verses of him against his demons; or the verses of the Bible as they get married they're both tired, and sad at the state of how things are for people still living their lives full of despair, and in a metaphor and reference to the shortest "verse" in the Bible, they weep, just as "Jesus wept."

> Hey, you remember where we first met?/ Okay, I don't remember where we first met/ But hey, admittin' is the first step/ And hey, you know ain't nobody perfect/ And I know, with the hoes I got the worst rep/ But hey, their backstroke I'm tryna perfect/ And hey, ayo, we made it: Thanksgivin'/ So hey, maybe we can make it to Christmas/ She asked me what I wished for on my wishlist/ Have you ever asked your bitch for other bitches?/ Maybe we could still make it to the church steps/ But first, you gon' remember how to forget/ After all these long-ass verses/ I'm tired, you tired, Jesus wept

Now I've been writing this comment for the past hour, so I won't even go into his non-musical exploits, but rest assured that as far as fashion goes, Kanye West is leading the forefront with his Red Octobers or Yeezy Boost Sneakers with a resale value of several thousand dollars each.

Now, I hope that if you actually took the time to read at least half of this, you will see that the hatred for Kanye is little more than an attempt to marginalize one of the greatest artists of our time. His outbursts, though not classy, are not unfounded. Heck, John Lennon literally said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus; if that's not hubris I don't know what is. Both Lennon and West are icons and artists who have changed this world forever. Just because you haven't taken the time to see further than your limited frame-of-reference by no means makes Kanye a bad artist or a bad human being. He is God sent, and full to the brim of musical talent. His new album will undoubtedly bring another wave of incredible artistry.

So basically you just read his carreer and gloryfied it and looked deeper into lyrics then you need to for example of how ez this can be done and how much shit u are talking i will do the same with Justin Beibers Boyfirend:
>If I was your boyfriend, I'd never let you go / I can take you places you ain't never been before / Baby take a chance or you'll never ever ever know / I got money in my hands that I'd really like to blow / Swag swag swag, on you / Chillin by the fire while we eatin' fondue
Bieber claims he is something of the ideal boyfriend, perhaps a bit clingy but promising nevertheless. He can take "you" (and he makes the song universal by not placing in a name) anywhere you would like to go; perhaps Rome, Florence, Paris, San Francisco, Madagascar, Tokyo, Ground Zero- "anywhere." We are asked to take a chance because otherwise we'll never know. Personally, I think he could have provided the details of an ex's experience in his vice-like grip to illustrate the magnitude of these aformentioned promises but maybe he didn't have the time, maybe they're not willing to speak- after all, he is messing about in brothels these days. There must be a reason...

I am getting distracted however- we're just going to have to assume he's a man of his word. He claims he has a lot of money- I think his accountant(s) will back him up on that. He also says he'd like to "blow" it- we know he's not tightfisted (surely, you've read of his lavish ferraris) so maybe, yes, this is the real deal. But for someone who randomly utters "swag swag swag" after... I mean, are we really supposed to trust him as a boyfriend? It sounds like he's desperate for a partner and thinks his monetary gains will entice us. This is a very materialistic and shallow image, compounded by the image of us chilling by the fire eating fondue- "us" being used for convenience of structure rather than out of interest, that is...
>Tell me what you like yeah tell me what you don't / I could be your Buzz Lightyear fly across the globe / I don't never wanna fight yeah, you already know / Imma make you shine bright like you're laying in the snow.
Now, the real issue begins with the lyric about Buzz Lightyear. Is this being directed towards a child now? I knew the song was getting a bit shallow and "swag" oriented but suddently, we're hit with this pang of darkness?

It's not even necessary. And the fact that he doesn't "never" want to fight only serves to confuse and distort our image of this relationship. Maybe he was offering all these things to a child so as to lure them into a false sense of security? When done with them, he will simply dispose of them in the "snow"- like in The Lovely Bones. I don't know about you Bieber but I don't think people "shine" when they're dead. I think that's very morbid, indeed. It seems I have been dreadfully misinformed about your lyrics.
The refrain-line "If i was your boyfriend, I'd never let you go" takes on a much more sinister tone now, devoid of sympathy for the victims of the scandals that have plagued our own country and many more. This is also probably why we can't get any references from his ex-partners; because they're dead... Dissecting the lyrics of Bieber has been a harrowing experience, to say the least.

Is there objectively correct music? What makes Bieber less important or relevant than Queen or Pink Floyd?

But I guess you can just continue listening to what you think is supposed to be good and what you're supposed to like, instead of listening to what you truly enjoy.

wtf are you on about?

what are you saying what am i supposed to like, i enjoy what i listen 2. why the fuck would i listen to something i don't like. You make no sense.

Michael McDonald" what a fool believes"

There is no "guilty pleasure" music. If you feel guilty about it, then fuck you. There is no WRONG music. Queen and Pink Floyd and Foo Fighters and shit were all the Kanyes and Biebers of their times. THEY WERE POP MUSIC. They were assholes who destroyed hotel rooms and felt like gods.

He's not a miracle, he's a heaven sent instrument