You guys weren't joking when you said this movie was the best

You guys weren't joking when you said this movie was the best.

Thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GUjJxamSSc0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's a great movie; I'm not usually into Sup Forums but Howls moving castle and spirited away are both great.

HMC has horrible pacing and narrative structure. It's a pretty movie, I really liked the character, I like each scene individually, but it's Miyazaki's worst directed film. It's one of the worst ones to recommend as someone's first introduction to Miyazaki.

That's not even the best Miyazaki movie

What is.

Really? The story was a clusterfuck, but the visuals were top notch.

/tg/ master race here. Dat Victorian steam aesthetic.

So was the royal city technically based on Vienna/Budapest?

this is true
still a nice movie, but yeah, not his best
>that Star Lake scene though

but it's miyazaki's worst film

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is both the best Miyazaki movie and the best movie of all time

if you like that aesthetic, read Diana Wynne Jones. she wrote the book HMC was based on. was writing sci-fi/fantasy in the 1980s but in her 60s or something when she started so her books are always full of that jazz.

as per the book, it's an alternate-universe Europe where there's a fault, and subsequently a mountain range, between mainland Europe and England, no English Channel. the kingdom of Ingary, where HMC takes place, is meant to be that universe's Germany. not 100% on whether the other side are the equivalent of England or France or what though.

PORCO ROSSO

no problem user,
glad you liked it.

probably either Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke.
>that opening titles music
not even gonna link it 'cause I don't want to spoil it for you

read the manga, it's no wonder he wants Anno to direct the sequel when he next decides to pull his thumb out his ass and get working again
there's some trippy shit in that thing, the movie only covers the first quarter

Mononoke, Totoro and Spirited Away are his holy trinity.

Is this movie about yurishit or friendship?

>read the manga

I have and it's also great

>it's no wonder he wants Anno to direct the sequel

wat, anno wanted to make something with the ip but miyazaki said no

If it's like the book, lesbian incest friendship

>Diana Wynne Jones
Thanks bro.

FUCK man I just love the epic tone of Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises. both movies just have such a sense of sweeping epicness virtually unmatched in modern live-action cinema outside of maybe something like There Will Be Blood. I know some people have their misgivings about The Wind Rises but I thought it was just about perfect and has a few secrets it's gonna take years of rewatching and analysis to understand.
>tfw pretty sure Nahoko is partly an autobiographical metaphor, just not sure what for
great dream sequences too. and the wedding scene made me cry like a little bitch.

I thought Miyazaki was okay with it last I heard in late 2013?

god i hope not

anno would just add un needed yuri shit no doubt and would ruin it

Mononoke, Porco Rosso or Wind Rises.

Basically, if it involves a thing he's autisicly passionate about (planes, horrors of war, automation), then it's good. If it's something he doesn't care about (feminism, children, love), it's pretty shit.

Mononoke>Spirited Away=Howl's Moving Castle

imo

Howl's Moving Castle is great up until the scene where Sophie meets Suliman. Then it's like the movie starts pushing it's foot down on the brakes.

it's garbage

>Really? The story was a clusterfuck

This. It was all over the place tonally.

'Spirited Away' is far better.

Seriously, even Laputa is way better.

Porco Rosso is Eternal Comfy-core, probably his best and most misunderstood film.

Laputa is an underrated classic.

Great movie. I lived in Japan in the late 90s and that was widely considered the favourite among Japanese girls there.

Princess Mononoke = Spirited Away > Porco Rosso > The Wind Rises = My Neighbour Totoro > Castle Of Cagliostro > Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind = Kiki's Delivery Service > Laputa: Castle In The Sky > Whisper Of The Heart (yeah I'm counting it, bite me) > Howl's Moving Castle > Ponyo

if Nausicaa was a series and covered the whole manga though it'd totally join the top tier

That's easily Miyazaki's worst film.

Princess Mononoke.

Laputa is good but the movie is pretty much a series of action-adventure setpieces with not much else in terms of characters or plot. After you've seen it once, there's not much else to absorb.

Future Boy Conan > Laputa

Why is he so passionate about war? Did something happen?

Spirited Away is the best movie to start with Miyazaki.
But his magnum opus is hands down Princess Mononoke. It's a little tough if you're not used to his aesthetic in the sense that you would enjoy his other movies more.
However once you finish his catalog and come back to Mononoke you will find that it is, hands down, his best work.

Miyazaki writes his movies as he goes; there's no storyboard or script. His style usually comes out as fantastic and whimsical but for whatever reason HWC felt so piece-y and rushed for me. I love the characters and setting and the music compliments everything so fucking well, but the plot just...isn't there. You can tell towards the end he was just like "welp that's all I got let's just end it."

Princess Mononoke is better. Real talk.

Mononoke is too feminist for today's Sup Forums sensibilities

yo dudes i'm vacationing to france on wednesday and i wanna watch a ghibli movie tomorrow to get hyped. which one should i watch? i've seen em all a million times already.

Here's your (You), now run along.

Everytime I see Princess Mononoke, I get the sense that it's the movie Miyazaki that Nausicaa could've been if he had finished the manga back when the Nausicaa movie was first made.

His wife fucked twenty other men while he was busy bayonetting mongolian babies and he associated the positive experience with the war.

>mfw post-Sup Forums Sup Forums
fucking disgusting place of hyperconservatives. i remember when people were much more sane politically on this site

>Miyazaki writes his movies as he goes; there's no storyboard or script.
Seriously. It's pants-down fucking insane, I literally gasped when they mentioned that in Kingdom Of Dreams And Madness. given the high quality of his work it's just unimaginable to think he just jots it off like a first draft and it comes out like that with practically no revision. for his entire directing career.

Solid list but I would put Totoro=Whisper famalam.

Neither are good movies.

He might now write a formal script document but the process is probably the same in his head. I doubt he full-on Lewis Carrolls his productions.

No one goes full Lewis Carroll.

miyazaki power rankings??

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Book)
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (movie)
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Future Boy Conan
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle

and you just know they'd completely ignore the fact that San would be hopeless without Ashitaka to help her and that the moral is co-operation and peaceful co-habitation, not "muh strong wolf lady"

>i remember when people were much more sane politically on this site
Me too, the pre-SJW internet was quite a beauty.

Er...user...

Think about when he was born. I'm honestly a bit surprised I'm having to explain this...

He was actually born during WWII itself. He grew up in post-WWII Japan, and he lost a number of relatives to it.

He, like most Japanese filmmakers from his generation, was profoundly impacted by the war at home. He never saw the fighting, so it's not surprising that almost none of his films show actual war (Mononoke being a clear exception), but instead, he spends a massive amount of time in a number of his movies on the civilian impact of the war and to show it's aftermath.

to be fair, the dude worked like a decade in television before starting to make movies. he had a lot of time to experiment and gain a strong sense of structure

fun fact, Miyazaki realize as he was storyboarding Spirited Away that his original idea would have ended up being like 3 or 4 hours, so he had to write a whole new second half. No-Face was just a random character on a bridge who looked interesting that an animator drew so he made that the villain, and he wanted to add another character without making any new designs so he just gave Yubaba a twin sister. Kind of hilarious how lazy it is but it worked out great.

Nausicaa manga has to come top no matter how you rank the rest, even outside of manga it's just an incredible work of existentialist fiction full stop.

was Nausicaa a lesbo?

wasn't someone else from Studio Ghibli directing this and left the project halfway thru and the Miyazaki took over?

that could explain for the hamfisted war subplot.

patricians know is it castle in the sky

Man that sounds pretty hacky to be honest. But I guess if it saved out on budget what can you do.

Poroco Rosso and Ponyo

That's what happens when SJWs ruin everything. Places like this get filled with reactionaries who may have only been moderately conservative before.

I wish the Nausicaa movie was made from the whole Manga too.
The manga is completely different and I feel a more interesting story overall with the heavier sci-fi elements and such.

Is there a more comfy movie than Kiki? serious question, that movie is drinking hot chocolate under the blankets on a rainy sunday tier.

I like Miyazaki but some of his ideals are retarded

Evil can never be aloud to endure and his work Spirited Away shows he disagrees with all of the villains getting off scott-free despite them turning humans into pigs and eating them

Howl's Moving Castle wasn't supposed to be a Miyazaki film.

They brought in an outside director from Toei to make it, but he never saw eye to eye with the heads of the studio. So Miyazaki basically took it over and half-assedly tried to turn it into an anti-Iraq War screed.

holy shit
do you think in his head the whole time he's just been in a total panic over all these people thinking he's a film genius, when he's literally making shit up as he goes along in the most slapdash way possible and it just happens to turn out god-tier in the end every time

Not enough love for this masterpiece.

Miyazaki has been holding Ghibli back for years

mangafags pls,

the film was fine,
there's just no way to cram all that shit in a 2 hour movie.

pretty sure the war and the prince-scarecrow reveal are taken from the book

Yeah. He technically only directed half the movie.
Which means with the way he "directs" only half the story is actually his.

The cat is the same voice as the fire demon guy from Howl's Castle

>tfw the director of that is dead

bastard worked himself to death

whisper of the heart/ porco rosso / poppy hill

Spirited Away was weird, couldn't wait for it to end

my wife's daughter loves this movie.

you know how hollywood used to remake japanese feudal epics as westerns?

i wish disney would remake princess mononoke as a western, with a native american getting kicked out of his tribe and having to go out west to solve the mystery of the demon. switch out the japanese mythology for indigenous american mythology. san is a feral white girl.

THIS
>that opening
>that ending
>that /comfy/
youtube.com/watch?v=GUjJxamSSc0
I'd even go so far as to say Castle Of Cagliostro is one of *the* archetypal adventure movies ever made
it really has got everything

it's a great movie, but suffers from the main character pretty much being ghandi throughout the movie.

This is a trend with earlier miyazaki films, his main characters tends to be flawless human beings from the getgo. Spirited Away is the exeption to this where the main character start off as a brat and matures through the story.

But I guess one does not watch ghibli movies for character studies.

>san is a feral white girl.
>Protagonist is a Native American

Sup Forums and indeed, Sup Forums would have a field day.

no? Phil Hartman died a year or so after the dub was completed, Billy Crystal voices Calcifer.

Don't get me wrong. The movie is great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just strictly speaking, story wise, the manga is a better story.

nah, I don't see that. Kiki and Porco in particuar are both movies largely focused on a character maturing

Oh, they sound so similar

Was manga-Nausicaa in the right? Her actions towards the end became more and more despotic imo but I'm sure it's intended for ~moral ambiguity~.

Kushana da best

>I wish the Nausicaa movie was made from the whole Manga too.

Way too long. Don't even think the manga fully covered the part the movie was about when it was released. Everything is a lot less interesting in the movie.

>the main character pretty much being ghandi throughout the movie.

The movie doesn't do much with Nausicaa's anger and she's not involved in warfare like in the manga. Kushana is nothing but a mirror to Nausicaa in the movie while being Miyazaki's best character in the manga.

>Future Boy Conan

Loved that as a kid, haven't watched it again in decades tho. Wonder if it still holds up.

You really rank Ponyo above HMC?

Lady Eboshi did nothing wrong.

>mfw that bit where she fends off an entire army nonlethally with a siren that makes all those chocobo-like things freak out

>The movie doesn't do much with Nausicaa's anger

neither does the manga

>Whatever lucky man becomes my husband shall see far worse than that.
Miyazaki can write some good antagonists when he wants

The train ride in spirited away is one of my favorite sequences of all time.
Live action or animated.
It was pure kino.
>that music
>that shot composition
>that cinematography
It's so fucking good.

>Castle Of Cagliostro
>main character is a master thief

>Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (movie)
>she's a religious prophet you idiot, of course she's holier-than-thou

>Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (manga)
>she's a religious prophet and also an impulsive despot

>Porco Rosso
>the guy's a bit of an old git, it has to be said
>also according to the Japanese subtitles he's mentioned as being a convicted diddler, holy shit Japan why did you put that in a kids' movie

>The Wind Rises
>dude smokes around his dying wife and is letting his lifelong dream lead him to aid the deaths of countless soldiers and pilots

etc.
come on, man

That's what I like a lot about Mononoke. Nobody is inherently in the wrong. Lady Eboshi and Billy Bob Thornton are just symbols of a progressing new world.

>not Kuratowa
I have never prayed so hard for a character to not get killed in all my life, dude goes through a lot of shit in the manga

>Capitalism is good
Stale meme.

>a convicted diddler
That's like a parking ticket in japan though.