Social messages in our entertainment media

Obviously, there is social engineering propaganda embedded throughout much of our television and film entertainment media. This is not news.

Serious question... why is it such a taboo topic here and in mainstream discussion in general? This is a huge issue.

Regardless of your political affiliation (or lack thereof)... propaganda (regardless of what it's propagandizing) is a bad thing, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1O3eaXCxRUM
reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/425zk4/1_of_reddit_has_47_of_all_karma_earned_in_2015_oc/
ew.com/article/2016/02/22/hollywood-diversity-usc-study
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Propaganda isn't bad. Believing it is.

Its more a test of persons intelligence and ability to cut through bullshit.

>propaganda isn't bad
So just don't worry about it, huh?

In recent decades, the very entertainment, news and information that you get has bundled together: 90% of the media is now controlled by just six companies, down from 50 in 1983.

It gets even more macro, too: 37 banks have merged to become just four -- JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo and CitiGroup in a little over two decades. Ten mega corporations control the output of almost everything you buy; from household products to batteries. These corporations create the chain of supplies that flow from one another. Each chain begins at one of the 10 super companies.

People are almost “forced” to wonder if the media controls as well our public taste and interest. They control the information we receive, but not only that, they control exactly what we receive and the way we do, therefore they control what we think.

Nobody cares neckbeard stop being triggered by tv

When you control what Americans watch, hear and read you gain a great deal of control over what they think. They don’t call it “programming” for nothing.

Back in 1983 it was bad enough that about 50 corporations dominated U.S. media. But since that time, power over the media has rapidly become concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer people.

If people realize this basic reality they can begin to realize they need to question the entertainment and news media they are forced to consume... and thus affect change.

Why does questioning an obviously dubious and unhealthy (for EVERYONE) situation trigger you exactly, "fellow user"?

Media ownership is becoming more and more concentrated these days as multi-billion dollar companies such as News corporation, Time warner and Disney company control almost all the shares of the mass media. A total of six corporations control almost 90% of the mainstream media nowadays. That means that out of all the TV channels we watch, the radio stations we listen to and the movies we see are owned by one of these six main corporations.

you're not allowed to criticize anyone anymore

suddenly the SJW thing makes sense.

Why is that exactly?

is there propaganda though? i admit there could be but the world news is very similar to other country's.

jews

Have you not watched a movie or TV show in the past 10 years?

of course it does, remember when we could do and say basically anything on the internet, but now everyone is worried about being "politically correct"? shit sucks desu

Monopoly capitalism my friend.

My favorite propaganda movies are superhero comic book movies, the heroes are always straight white men who use violence and their enhanced ability to inflict violence outside the law to solve their disputes. This is always portrayed as a good thing. I am sure that Sup Forums is savvy enough to recognize how harmful that theme is.

>now
well, that did start in the 80s. Just everyone saw it as a joke.

finally someone else realizes.

>Serious question... why is it such a taboo topic here and in mainstream discussion in general? This is a huge issue.

Because Sup Forums is the most plebeian of boards, as everybody watches tv and as such, most here are too young / dumb to comment beyond a shitposting the latest meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=1O3eaXCxRUM

jews/globalists/SJWs/cultural marxists/leftists are all now basically interchangeable terms

Maybe the concentration of wealth and power into a tiny minority is a natural occurrence. Not saying it's right or good, but it could just be the way we are as people.

Take Reddit as an example of this. Anyone can make an anonymous account on the site and post anything. Everybody has virtually equal access and position starting out. Users and posts are rewarded with karma points. You post something of value to the site, you earn karma points.

Well, the top 1% of the millions of Reddit users have 47% of all the karma.

reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/425zk4/1_of_reddit_has_47_of_all_karma_earned_in_2015_oc/
>1% of reddit has 47% of all karma earned

1% of users are creating the most valuable content and getting the most karma. Apply this to society, where 1% of the population has the majority of wealth and power..

OCCUPY REDDIT

baka

>we demand more diversity in executive positions in hollywood!

Horseshoe theory is real

Cool buzzword, kid.

CBS logo always scares me

Nah m8, when op talks of propaganda what he means is he's butthurt about seeing black people on his telly.

He couldn't give a fuck about a lack of plurality of voices in the media, it's just a thinly disguised Sup Forums thread, and the only problem to op is liberals invading his safe space.

See how he'll tell me to fuck off to reddit in response to this, in the hope of once again reestablishing his online hugbox

>lack of plurality of voices in the media

Please explain/expand.

A group of people that make up 1% of the population controls basically all the media? What could be the problem?

is disproportionate representation propaganda? Can it create a false perception or present a biased perception of reality?

Does it matter that most main characters are male? Does it matter that way more often than not that they are white? Is it "good"? If it were the other way around would it be bad?

Cool meme, kid

>lack of plurality
So you can't explain how there's a "lack of plurality" in the media as you previously said?

You can only throw around buzzwords and terms you obviously don't even have a grasp of while you defend your obvious agenda and deflect simple questions?

a. the entertainment and news media is now in very, very few hands

b. unless you're blind or choose to lie here for the sake of your political beliefs, it is all too obvious we are now soaked in wall to wall social and political propaganda... from messages in our film and television entertainment to straight-up deceptive news media. unless you're a moron, you realize the effect this has on society and particularity how effective it is in shaping youth and therefore the future adults of society.

c. pushing agendas on to and manipulating the unaware masses is a bad thing, is it not?

It's not complicated.

I'm the user you're replying to, but not the one who wrote about plurality or whatever. Hollywood's inclusion issue is well documented:
ew.com/article/2016/02/22/hollywood-diversity-usc-study

>a. Entertainment and news media is in very few hands
I don't really have an opinion on that one way or the other.
>b. effect on society
What propaganda? By who? Saying what? In what proportion? Citation please. What effect will it have? I don't know, you're not really saying anything in particular.

>c. pushing agenda
Again, you'll need to be more specific.

You're being vague and making allusions.

Holy fuck user, I just wrote a paper for my POSC class on media strategies and our professor used this exact graph

>pushing agendas on to and manipulating the unaware masses is a bad thing, is it not?

Devil's advocate, maybe it is not.

This country has 300+ million people. Take into account how dumb the average person is. Half of the population is dumber than that. The people have to be managed, do they not? The wheels have to keep turning to make sure everything just doesn't fall apart, right? So how do you go about doing that in an effective way?

Maybe manipulating the masses was deemed the best (perhaps the only) way of managing them by the people above. It surely does work well, seeing how we've made it this far as a society.

CBS owns Showtime? Well that actually explains a lot.