The Dark Tower

how do you feel about The Gunslinger being african american

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't, I never read the books, so fuck whatever shitpost storm this was intended to be

Guys should I read the books?

I find it agitating that they do it to meet a quota, but it's not going to take me out of enjoying the movie.

I really don't care. It's gonna be a shitty movie based off a shitty book. We should be so lucky that there isn't enough demand for a sequel. Honestly, Elba's acting may be the soul redeeming quality, but don't quote me on that.

Also, he's a brit you stupid fuck.

It's not that he's black.

It's that he can't be white.

Idris Elba is a good actor

Doesn't even matter. The Gunslinger is autistic.

i like stringer bell

>Idris Elba
>African American

>dark tower
>black guy

too funny

It makes me wonder how this is going to effect the Odetta/Detta character. Is she just going to project all her racial hostility on Eddie?

What do they call black people in Europe? Are they just Europeans as well or do they get called African Europeans?

T. Burger

They're black.

>What do they call black people in Europe?
black people.

She's gonna be white and racist against blacks.

I feel really, really upset about it

Roland is specifically white, hes suppose to look like clint eastwood/viggo morginstien

The books are fun and trippy even if they are schlock

I was actually just about to make a thread of this.

It really bothers me, mostly because King literally based Roland on The Man With No Name, and for them to just turn around and cast a black actor even if he's good, tbqh i dont think I've ever seen a film he's in, all for the sake of casting a black actor, is a little insulting to the longtime fans like myself. And when you have to rework or even throw away an entire subplot of the story regarding Detta's conflict over being dragged along by two white dudes, it just seems ridiculous to have to disregard a plotline spread across the first 4 or 5 goddamn books in order to fulfill an agenda.

But anyway, I always believed that the movie would fail regardless of casting, so I don't know why the fuck I even bother being assblasted about it. King's works are better unadapted. The only exceptions are The Mist and Shawshank. The Shining was good in its own way because of Kubrick's vision and Nicholson's performance, but as far as an adaptation it left a lot to be desired, partly due to the technological limitations of the time.

The scene where Jack smashed his face repeatedly with a sledgehammer is fucking brutal and I wish I could see that on the big screen.

should be european-american.

>turn the white character black
>turn the black character white

Okay.

I forgot about the mist. That was one of those films that was good enough to be watchable but not great enough to be memorable at all. I only ever recall liking it when someone else mentions it.

the mist is mostly remembered for the GOAT ending that made normies cry

plus pic related

>he's white

>should be european-american
>is a little insulting to the longtime fans like myself
Why do you feel entitled to a faithful adaption? Have you considered that perhaps Arcel has his own artistic vision for this movie, one that he is fully entitled to seeing as he is directing the fucking movie.

We've seen time and again that a competent director can make something good out of Stephen's work. Kubrick, Darabont, Reiner; A director that can focus his jumbled thoughts into something cohesive is far more important than some shitty halfbaked racial subplot that King threw in.

I want him to hold me at gunpoint while he fucks my wife with his BBC tbhfambruhs

>his own artistic vision

I can't tell if this is trolling or an actual argument, it just hits that fine line of plausibility where it's hard to discern.

That being said if you are trolling I think it's an interesting point anyway.

The movie COULD work; for all any of us know it could be the best film ever made. The thing is that it simply seems improbable and the feeling that they've miscast someone so badly only makes it less auspicious.

to be fair, perfect casting was clint eastwood ten years ago. Since they can't have that, might as well just cast whomever.

Literally the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

They could've probably gotten away with Scott Eastwood if they greyed him up a tiny bit.

Honestly, every casting choice they've had for the film since it was first being talked about has been shit. Javier Bardem was almost as bad of a choice as Elba.

WE WUZ GUNSLINGERS N SHIET SAI

and now you're saying they should've cast someone who looks the part, but can't act.

The first four books are great, but it takes a massive nosedive after that, and it has one of the worst anticlimactic endings I've ever seen, even by King standards.

A friend of mine once joked that you can tell the exact point where King stopped drinking.

Roland doesn't really require a lot of range.

Think of Clint in TMWNN. He just needs to look tough and act like a badass.

I like Javier Birdman. Why does he seem bad to you?

Wasn't he doing more than just drinking while writing the first few books though?

>my face when roland descended by time traveling negro king Arthur scene

Didn't King drop a ton of acid when he was writing IT?

I'm not sure where I heard that but I heard it.

He can't? I'm speaking primarily about looks. I've never seen a film he's been in.

I dunno, he just doesn't have the vibe. He's great though. NCFOM is one of my favorite films.

>Raceswap everyone, so Roland and Eddie are Black, and Susannah/Odetta/Detta is white
>She's a mean racist girl from the South who fucking hates blacks
>She is cured of her racism with the power of black dick

You just fucking know that's what they're going to do.

He had a huge coke problem. I think the acid bit is true too, I think I've read that before as well.

Yeah. Arcel has shown talent as a screen writer and as a director. There's no reason to believe that he is incapable of adapting something like Dark Tower to his own vision.

You feel as if the've miscast him because you're clinging to the hope that he'll be simply porting the book to the screen.

I'm sure I remember him talking about taking drugs heavily around that time too, but I can't specifically remember what. He said that he was so perpetually fucked up way back when, that he doesn't even remember writing Cujo.

I don't care. Idris Elba is awesome and Eastwood's sons are bad actors.

I almost want this to happen just so I can see Sup Forums shitpost about it for a year

>tfw don't even look forward to movies I just like seeing how other people respond to them.

>So fucked up he doesn't even remember writing Cujo

Fucking kek that's hardcore

YO STRING WHERE WALLACE AT?

It fucking hurts to live.

I like some of King's stuff, but fuck him for jumping on the SJW bandwagon with this film.

Why fuck is Frodo a cowboy??????

Black or African. They're a step up from African-Americans because African-Americans are all fucking retarded and niggers. Can't completely blame them though, they got it from their masters.

It's very hard to dislike Elba because hes cool and he looks cool in the get up. But I can't help think he is being used to piss off fans. The Gunslinger should have been white the same as Odetta should have been black and Eddie and Jake are white. Fully expect all that to be turned on its head

Not going to watch it. I think it will flop and they'll have to remake it a few years down the line.

Dad-a-chum?

Oi, that's me fooking finga, mate.

I can't wait to see idris being attacked by fucking lobsters in the cinema, it's gonna look so stupid.

From what I hear, they aren't even starting from the beginning. They are starting from the middle, with the Ka-tet already formed.

I would rather they picked Slim Charles or Proposition Joe

>Skipping the best parts of the story

I don't think I could hate this adaptation more if I tried.

But why?

That's lame. I think I'm giving up on this movie if that's true.

They hate all things that are nice.

ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey
>“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

Fucking dropped

Translation: "The fans will eagerly slurp down whatever I shit down their throat."

Fuck King, I'm done.

Dod-a-chook?

>African American
>Idris Ebla

King hates the Shawshank Redemption. If you didn't hate him for that you're just as big a dumb-ass as he claims you are.

It's already tumbling down.

I wasn't aware of that.

Well there goes my hopes of this being good. So by the sound of it they'll start with the doors on the beach and probably skip the whole jake dying and going a bit nuts because of it

Don't fucking remind me.

He hasn't given a shit about adaptations since The Shining. As I see it, King doesn't want Dark Tower to get an adaptation, and is casually okaying every awful idea they have to prevent future producers from even attempting to remake it.

>Idris Elba
>American

Shut the fuck up.

They are Europeans with roots all over the world

>Roland, former heir to the throne of Gilead, now destroyed by Walter O'Dimm

This is now WE WUZ KINGS AND SHIT: The Movie.

Idris Elba is a literal memelord

He sucks

He got the role as a diversity hire

Its bullshit

Nope.

They're starting in fucking Lud.
The only consolation I can glean from this fucking shit is that it's getting a January release. The producers are preemptively sending it off to die.

It has to be BM/WF or else its racist

Got bored by the second book so I doubt I'm going to give a shit about another book to movie interpretation that always makes them worse.

Why would you feel entitled to a faithful adaptation? Did you actually just say that?

Um because that's that the original story is. "His own artistic vision" of somebody else's work isn't "his own artistic vision," that's called fucking FAN FICTION.

Making you a director doesn't entitle you to take other people's work and do whatever you want with it. Adapting a beloved, best-selling novel from a legendary writer actually ENTITLES you to fucking work your hardest to make the most faithful version of that story in the medium you're working in.

Plus, the agenda-pushing race change is disrespectful to King as a writer, as he commonly uses elements like racism, sexism, and religious dogmatism to really enrich drama and characters, so Roland being black would've been played on in many ways in the story of the Dark Tower.

God your post was the most faggot thing I've read in about 38 minutes. Your Reddit-tier SJW defensive maneuvers need a lot of work. High five, bitch.

Crushes all possibility of the story continuing where 7 left off, too. Considering he picked up the horn that time around could've opened up a shitload of possibilities, saving Jake from the mineshaft probably being the most consequential.

> not giving up when they ruined the main guy

Blaine?

Blaine will now be a terminator-style robot voiced by Kevin Hart.

>implying this guy isn't terrible

Have you even read the books, nigger? The guy in the picture looks like a cute teenager. Roland is supposed to old and ugly, like a human version of an ent.

The problem with Elba isn't that he's black, he just looks too normal.

>Screenplay by Andres Tomas Jansen
>The dannish guy who did Adam's Apples and Green Butchers

And we still don't get Mads as Roland? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He was a bit younger in Hidalgo. He's fucking prime for it now.

Is that a bare?

I have. He looks almost, but not quite, like Clint Eastwood according to Eddie, who only ever jokingly considered him Long, Tall, and Ugly.

He got pussy wherever there was a somewhat fresh woman. I wouldn't call that ugly. He had a certain ruggedness about him.

Also Roland didn't get old until after he spoke with the man in black in the Tarot session. He was maybe in his mid 30s till then.

Fuck hes perfect
Fuck this movie
Never even finished the book and I don't even want to now

what fucking quota?

/shitpost

you know the quota that we can safely assume exists for no other reason than that it backs our invented narratives

Catch up son

I'm not going to see it because of that, so indifferent.

Are you stupid?

As the director of the film Arcel has the artistic license to alter the source material as he sees fit. Artistic License is a widely accepted convention and necessary in many cases.

In general, King is a shit author. He is unfocused, his characters are bland at best, at there worst they are set pieces. His prose is dull for the most part, the reader is treated to hours of kings vague imagery peppered with occasional awful cliche. His pacing is awful and the reader jumps between manufactured "horror" and more bland exposition and shitty scenery in an instant. There is no tension, no buildup. And to top this all of he can't write a goddamn ending to save his life.

All this being said, at the core of his work there is occasionally an original or creative glimmer that is obfuscated by the piles of shit on top of it. A good director is capable of turning kings shitty books into something redeemable (the mist) or even great (the shining, misery). One thing you'll notice, especially in regards to the shining, the directors have stripped away a great deal of the novel. Of course we are left with the basic premise but the rest is built from the ground up. This isn't even exclusive to adaptions of shitty books. There is always artistic liberties taken by the director, as there should be. Coppola did not recreate the godfather word for word, and thank god he didn't. Kubrick's lolita is arguably a vastly different piece of work.

Directors have no obligation to stricly follow the source material, and rightfully so. For fucks sake they're entirely different mediums.

As for your claims of an agenda being pushed, I see little evidence of that.

>he commonly uses elements like racism, sexism, and religious dogmatism to really enrich drama and characters,
lol if you want to call king's trite manufactured dramas enriching more power to you.

Youre a fucking idiot and you are killing film. But go ahead just ignore this or call me an sjw or a cuck.

The bm/wf quota

>As for your claims of an agenda being pushed, I see little evidence of that.

Wish you said that shit at the start so I could stop reading there. Race/gender swaps in movies are very big right now, and you bet your ass this casting decision is an attempt to cash in on that.

Dark Tower went full retard after Wizard and Glass.
The fact a multiverse hopping cowboy doomed to loop for eternity is black is a non issue.

Do you have any evidence to support this, or are you just pulling it out of your ass? Have you considered the fact that Elba is a charismatic lead with acting chops? Perhaps Arcel simply wanted to cast him.

You'll fit in there nicely.

>Movies want to cash in.
Shock. Horror.