Okay, was this movie actually good or are people just being pretentious?

Okay, was this movie actually good or are people just being pretentious?

it's ok. worth a watch.

I like how it's filmed. Dreamlike.
Pretty interesting story that stumbles at points.
Really good music.
Kinda creepy and tense.

Overall I liked it. Solid 7-8/10

This 1000%. Anyone who says differently is either a faggot or doesn't watch enough movies.

Literally this.

It's fine. Cool concept. Worth a watch.

it is literally, figuratively, the 'Drive' of horror movies.

It's an interesting concept, but a bit of a hit or miss. The script could have done more with it's ideas, but choose to focus on stereotypical characters.

the movie was is and always will be shit

The only real problems are that the kids are dumbasses, which is normal for a horror movie so whatever, and that the monster doesn't follow its own rules

It's pleb core and midly good, don't listen to the redditors here.

average horror flick dressed up for pretentious 'film buffs' to allow themselves to like

any more movies like this?

It starts off strong but then it gets progressively worse and worse until we're throwing toasters at an invisible man.

It could have been really good, but as is the film is just a good premise poorly executed.

80% hipster garbage
20% actually, truly scary

I thought it kinda sucked. Although it was interesting watching it.

it's worth a watch if you enjoy horror. a lot of the criticisms in this thread are valid but it's a GOAT soundtrack and pretty comfy in certain places.

I really liked it. Atmospheric, no jump scares, excellent soundtrack. Unfortunately, the semen demon I was watching with is not a fan of horror as a genre and ruined the mood.

>It sucked
>But it was interesting to watch

Only plebs could dislike it

>no jump scares
There were a few jump scares. Ball hitting the window and opening the tall man appearing in the doorway to name just a few off the top of my head.

>pretentious

There's nothing pretentious about the film at all. It's a straightforward horror film influenced by teen slasher flicks from the 80s, but a little more tactfully done.

My mistake, I suppose I should rephrase as not many jump scares then.

>come spoon with me, user

It's literally le young adult horror. Okay camera work though. I'm not mad at it, but there are a lot of better horror movies out there. Kind of sad to see the Evil Dead remake get panned in favor of all these indie horror darlings. I want muh splatter films back.

it's really good but not quite great [mainly the story, it's well shot and acted with a God-teir score and the premise is a 10/10 horror premise but can't help but feel a tighter script would up it from a 7.5 from me to around a 9]. there is absolutely nothing pretentious at all though.

THIGHS

it's lame

+: Very nice visuals and use of setting. Clever concept. Charming cast.
-: Quite a few plot holes. Not scary at all.

There is literally nothing hipster or pretentious about this film its just a well executed horror flick that still uses jump scares etc like any other modern horror film.

You honestly and very literally do not understand what the fuck the word pretentious means if you think that word describes this film. Crack a dictionary.

So did she bang those dudes on the boat?

This, I might go further and say solid 8.5 as a horror movie. It reminded me of the original Halloween as far as atmosphere and tension building goes.

>influenced by 80s slasher films

Uhhhh....no. This film is total 70s atmpspheric horror worship (particularly Carpenter) with some modern elements thrown in. This film is absolutely nothing like an 80s slasher. Do you know what a slasher is?

The ball was a false jump scare, and the tall man just walked in with the door wide open. I wouldn't really count that. It made me shit my pants though. Great movie to watch with the lights off at night with a little bit of dude weed lmao

>Quite a few plot holes

?

Yup

Sure

Bangbros™

>pretentious?

The movie isn't really. However the fans sure are.

what did it pretend to be that it really wasnt?

horror movie standards are so low that not having jump scares (even though it did) are all they need to be considered perfect

the movie was a 70% up until the beach moment where we learn that the monster is actually real and just invisible

Nice argument you have there. 10/10 logics, looking forward for your Nobel speech

great intro
but everything else sucked story-wise, the way they handled the "monster" was so fucking retarded and antclimatic, making him a invisible physical being

I gave this a 5.5/10, a little above average, Babadook and The Witch where waaaay superior

It's a good concept executed decently.

It was essentially a more toned down, more serious version of Final Destination.

Stay away from anybody that totes this or The Witch as modern cinematic masterpieces. They are more than likely Tarantino dick riders who know very little about what makes a great movie.
Unfortunately, my uni is full of these.

What could you possibly be pretentious about in regards to this movie? It's a straight forward horror film. People may have lauded it too enthusiastically but it's hard to blame then when for the past decade or more horror films have consisted of nothing but cheap jump scares and zero attention paid to atmosphere or cinematography (except for Ti West's stuff).

The VVitch

The witch is way better than it follows. I wouldn't call it a modern cinematic masterpiece, but it's a very good movie.

>pretentious

for fuck sake

No. It's a good movie.

The mysterious atmosphere is what got me hooked. Although at times it seems, like the viewer should be lost in the story, it's actually pretty straight forward.

It's kind weak towards the end, but overall very good.

The pacing and suspense are near perfect. Music is good too. Whole movie has kind of an 80's feel to it.

I don't know when it's supposed to be set though; the TV's, furniture and cars say 80's, but there's that girl using a touchscreen tablet like thing in the pink seashell case. Lot of anachronistic shit in there.

No you idiot, because she still had the specter following her afterwards. If she had fucked them, it would have moved on to them.

But it did move to them. And then back to her

Thought it was good but when you explain it to someone it sounds bad. Even though the movie does a good job taking its plot seriously. One of these movies you have to see for yourself I guess.

I enjoyed both It Follows and The Witch and I'll bet I've seen more great films than you have, faggot. The only true pleb opinion is to hate movies and reject them outright instead of trying to understand them for what they are.

I like Tarantino too. Fite me

It's pretty good in some parts but the ending was kinda shite

No, she fucked Greg her neighbor, who didn't believe in the entity, and it killed him, then went back to tracking her.

Then she tried to fuck the guys on the boat, but they turned her down apparently, because they immediately continue planning to kill the entity by using her to lure it. How can she lure it if she passed it to the guys on the boat by fucking them? Because she didn't.

For a modern horror movie, it's pretty good.