ITT: Pleb opinions you once held

ITT: Pleb opinions you once held
>Why would you ever want to listen to music that isn't pleasant

>if i could play it, i dont want to listen to it

>if it's popular is terrible

>Dance music sucks.

>Who the fuck listens to albums let alone vinyls.

>Classic Rock is the best genre
>Jazz is boring
>Skrillex is really cool
>The Beatles are the best band ever
>Rolling Stone is the number one source for music reviews

>Led zeppelin are the best band ever
>Nico ruined VU&N

>classical music isn't the pinnacle of human culture

kek, that's only normal

depends anyway
there is just so much shit dance music

>pop music is garbage

>NME is a respectable music publication

The fact that so many people on this board still think this shows how far Sup Forums is from being a respected art board

>I should let a collective of strangers dictate what I should and shouldn't like

>you listen to whole albums? That's weird

>Hip-hop is musically important and deserves increased attention because it is becoming increasingly important in mainstream culture and musical publications

>only women and gay men listen to music with female vocals

>mario 64 aged well

I've wavered on this for a long time but I do think the correlation there has truthful grounding

lol i had this too

My friend used to work for NME, they'd tell her what to write about records based on their relationship with the band/label.

>Dad rock is good

>jazz takes skill

>There has been no good music made since the 90s

So you're an even bigger pleb now, cool

this is true tho. lowest common denominator shit on the radio

>>Why would you ever want to listen to music that isn't pleasant
>hey guys im a masochist!

>r/atheism is pretty cool

not all dance music is EDM

>lowest common denominator shit on the radio

who's this clown?
I bet you don't listen to harsh noise at dB higher than safe levels

>harsh noise
I'm not a fucking poser lmao

>
yes you are ha ha

Oh but it has Senpai, out of the blue each 2 or so years I get a sudden urge to replay it whole and it's always satisfying.

AC/DC is kinda cool

this is true tho

Make that reddit in general

>radiohead are bad
Ibn4 they R XD

Their last three album suck ass-balls.

Amsp was eh
Tkol is their best record ever
And In rainbows was solid

Most games from that era aged fairly poorly. Aside from Banjo Kazooie, I'm not sure if I would actually recommend any n64 games.

>wow this fantano guy really knows his shit

how did you ever think this lmao.

listening to men singing about love is 10x gayer.

>Skrillex is bad
>he listens to music he doesn't find pleasant
what
it isn't...
>skrillex
>bad
same
this one is a classic
kek

>not gonna get into that thanks people will think i'm weird

Music can invoke emotions other than happinesses. Not pleasant doesn't mean painful to listen to.

>my composition of harmonics mean more than yours!

Kanye West sucks

>Ragtime is the only good genre

I thought this when I was 10-14 years old

lmaoo

>Radiohead is good

people are going to think this is bait but it's actually terrible. I don't get why people like it so much.

Lmao what

My pleb opinion was
>I like metal but not death metal
Now
>I like death, black, and doom metal not that radio trash.

Kek I once thought that long ago

>How can it be good if you can't even understand what they are saying

>music that isn't pleasant is good xD
>I'm so patrician xD

>tfw the gear you want to get is completely unavailable where you live

am I retarded or can nobody seld find a Randall RG13 preamp available for sale in the UK?

can nobody else*

>electronic is only the good genre
2 years later, and I listen to an enormous amount of post-rock, instrumental, ambient, etc

is the only good genre*

Have you ever heard of being angry?

>when you're angry you listen to Schoenberg
funny

what's a good song on the radio

Not him but Schoenberg is wonderful on cloudy days.

>'metal' is the most expressive genre and is the only genre that can express unhappy emotions

Skrillex is trash

>le fedora tip

come on guy. It's a reasonable assertion that because pop music is made in the pursuit of money (which it is, don't get all 'muh art' about that) it needs to cater to the broadest audience and as such be as innocuous and inoffensive (read: boring) as it can be. The only exceptions are when the pop industry allows 'ground breaking shit' to get through so that pop audiences feel like they are a part of some groundbreaking release (i.e. two last Beyonce albums).

Obviously there are exceptions but the rule holds for most pop music.

how can anyone not like Hot Fuss by The Killers

I used to think so too. Then I stopped being a try-hard teen who wanted to impress the non-existent people who visited his last.fm profile, and so I realised that green day is actually far more enjoyable.

Ok but I do enjoy listening to Schoenberg and Scriabin's atonal piano stuff on a cloudy day. They can be relaxing in a way that's significantly more ethereal than say a Chopin nocturne or a Schubert lieder. I'm sorry you fell for the avant teen meme though. For what it's worth, I don't even have a last.fm account to pretend to impress strangers with.

Well, i didnt said that. You are not getting pleasant if you are getting hurt, then you are a masochist.
Who normal dude would listen something that express negativity ? Its like people who do hard drugs to scape of reality :S

Only listening to music that is pleasant is like only eating sweet food

Painting, sculptures, and literature have expressed tragedy, heartbreak, and horror for centuries so why should music be any different? Someone who prefers Romeo and Juliet over Much Ado About Nothing isn't necessarily a masochist. Perhaps he can empathize with the plight of the star crossed lovers. Perhaps he's been there before, well not with the dying part, but with losing a love over family rivalry or something. Or perhaps he just finds the story of R&J much more gripping. Art reflects life (for the most part) and life isn't all pleasant.

Skrillex is a really good musician who has problems making albums. One of these days he will make his masterpiece. Bangarang is also an amazing EP and Recess was quite good too.

fucking this

im so goddamn glad Sup Forums is coming aroubd to realizing how fucking good tkol is

>simplicity means lack of emotional expression
>revival movements are actively damaging the artform
>listening to music in anything but the most pristine available quality is like spitting on it

thankfully i was never this pleb

oh and the worst one
>absolute music exists

Care to expand on this one?

I used to think simplicity was bad. Now I realize that it's not all bad, just mostly bad.
If for every good complex rock band like King Crimson there is a puddle of shit to waddle through, for every simple and effective Leonard Cohen there is a vast planet-spanning ocean of shit to swim in.

Bomberman 64

loooooll lad

i always forget i have last fm on, and when i check it all i see are shitty bassline remixes of pop songs and speed garage ;)

also paul simon

>only sweet food is pleasant

Just like America.

I'll take you on this analogy. What if I find salty food to be pleasant? In the same vein, what if I find an atonal complex piece of music that is not at all harmonic and pleasant in a traditional sense to be pleasant to me?
See I don't think people actually like to listen to shit they don't think is pleasant. It's just that this musical pleasantry is a matter of personal taste.
I for example think a lot of pop music, especially modern Ableton-produced pop music, is distinctly unpleasant, even though many would disagree with me and it could be argued that pop music generally sets itself out to purposefully be as immediately pleasant to the ears as possible.

Literature its such a different and superior form of art. Its different from a collage of sounds because you dont use your intelect to listen music....

>you dont use your intelect to listen music
when you listen to lowest common denominator fucking garbage, sure

Yeah I've heard plenty of people say that but no one actually ever make some kind of intelligent rebuttal for why Skrillex is supposed to be a bad musician.

Just because it's dance music doesn't mean it's vapid, some of the production is superb. He's jumped into about 5 different genres now and he's always done a great job.

yeah, while i dislike skrillex's music, and everything he represents about the gentrification of dance music, he has some fucking minty production skills

>allmusic is bad

Theres not relation between intelligence and music.

nice try user but you can't get me

Well since taste is subjective "unpleasant" is too general a term to argue about. the food analogy was more of a criticism of people writing off anything thats not using standard pop chords (not very well thought out but I think we're on the same page here) and not giving the stranger stuff a chance. Of course atonal and less conventional music can be pleasant, but the general population would rather listen to the sweet stuff because people like the familiar and the comfortable rather than the challenge of exploring new emotions through new types of music

and now that I'm writing this I realize how many people have said this before and how boring it is to make a statement of it. bye friends Im bad at writing down my ideas

Motherfucking this. I don't see why saying that most popular music is shit when it's pretty much true.

It's not like anything popular automatically sucks, it's that most popular music is made to appeal to the broadest demographic as popular, being significantly dumbed down in comparison to anything less popular, indie, or more underground.

It made me feel feminine which caused me a lot of shame. Doesn't really make sense since it made me feel paradoxically good but I decided to just ignore it all and stop listening to it all together.

I've never understood people who say this. There is nothing wrong with liking female vocals.