When did rock music end...

When did rock music end? Who was the last band who could be called a rock band who brought something new and groundbreaking to the table? I personally think it was all over by the end of the 90s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n4cK0Bsl1wA
rollingstone.com/music/news/gene-simmons-rock-is-finally-dead-20140907
whatculture.com/music/9-reasons-rock-and-roll-is-dead-and-never-coming-back
theguardian.com/music/2016/may/23/rock-music-is-dead-red-hot-chili-peppers-flea-pearl-jam
youtube.com/watch?v=A4_YgnhTMEg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it definitely did though it definitely did

Post-grunge and post punk revival killed rock

xiu xiu

Chuck Berry

Sort of a meme answer but Radiohead was the last revolutionary rock band. There aren't a lot of bands willing to experiment in rock music despite the fact that we're in a period where experimentation and "art" are being pushed heavily

It wasn't any bands in particular. It was the growing popularity of other genres (hip hop and EDM) that killed it.

>using the term EDM unironically

back to /bleep/ you faggot

NEDM

go back to /bleep/ retard

It was the rise in popularity over several genres all under EDM
Am I supposed to name every genre that became popular?

no, but there's a difference between "EDM" and electronic dance music in general

I'm talking about the overall heading of which there are many sub-genres

shut up /bleep/ faggot electronic isn't real music

I'd say System Of A Down did bring some new stuff

Marilyn Manson was the last exciting thing to happen in rock and definitely the last true rock star. Its been pretty fucking boring since

>brought something new and groundbreaking to the table
Who cares?

If it's good, it's good.

Are you ironically posting Cobain? Nirvana were a Meat Puppets ripoff. They didn't do anything innovative. And Dave Grohl is like modern day Paul McCartney. In other words a complete pleb with knowledge in music theory.

>marilyn manson was the last rock star
>posts picture during the dark age of mansons music

Goddamn, now that I think about it, this is exactly when it died off

>Nirvana were a Meat Puppets ripoff
They don't sound anything alike.
>with knowledge in music theory.
Then he's not a pleb, is he?

because the internet gutted the music industry, and the only way a band can make a living nowadays is touring, where the band's expenses can be quite large.

So thank pirating, and how normies use streaming or torrenting for their music, where even the former pays barely a pittance

Not really, Golden Age of Grotesque was good. It was four years later when he released Eat Me, Drink Me that the dark age came

>They don't sound anything alike.
Please tell me you're trolling
>Then he's not a pleb, is he?
Plenty of faggy theater kids that got forced into music by mommy and daddy at a young age and know a lot about music. Doesn't make you not a pleb.

"there's a difference between electronic dance music and electronic dance music"
okay

>NEDM
I'd say you should shut up.

>Please tell me you're trolling
How are they similar?
>Doesn't make you not a pleb.
It does. Do you know music theory?

Swans, Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead come to mind that still try to make good rock from time to time. But is hard to say, when you consider that everything that sounds a little bit diferent and new is gets its own genre of things mixed together, post-dance-punk-electro-rock-advanced-jungle-holocaust-metal

Half of their songs are Meat Puppet covers/inspired by them. Let's not turn this on me. You are a pleb with pleb taste and you look like a complete normie defending it. Have fun defending talentless hacks on a Taiwanese cosplay website.

>Half of their songs are Meat Puppet covers/inspired by them
Which ones specifically?
>Let's not turn this on me
Nice projecting, pleb

dont mind me

Did it also happen to coincide with the period when you were growing up and so it's cool to not like them because all your peers do?

Rock died off before this.

rock music ended when hollow hipsterism took over and the meme called chillwave dominated the online media. white people have lost the ability to be sincere. probably due to hormones in the drinking water.

>Google.com
Atleast do your own research before defending something. Either go back to R eddit or kys, and take your shit taste with you. I bet you have a fa cebook too, fag.

It's your argument, you need to prove it.

If you can't, it's not true.

>Rock died off before this.
I literally see hundreds of new rock bands playing every night of the week in my city alone.

This, basically. If you like that sort of thing.

There are still loads of rock bands out there and a huge amount of people like that music and go and see the shows. It is more "underground" now though in the sense that it isn't on the radio or in the charts but what does that matter? If the bands are doing well and people are going to see the shows and enjoying the music then who cares if it isn't constantly evolving?

Lol, go watch Nirvana unplugged. They even hired the Meat Puppets guitarist cause Kurt can't play.

"layers of irony" is an ironic concept

>Lol, go watch Nirvana unplugged
OK, the first song they played is About a Girl

Which Meat Puppets song was that ripped off of?

youtu.be/n4cK0Bsl1wA

Kurt Cobains whole style is a ripoff of this band.

They don't sound similar. Nice try though

Lol

>le wrong generation bitching

r/eddit is that way

The whole rock is dead was a played out meme 10 years ago and is basically a normie staple for washed up faggots to garner a little attention.

rollingstone.com/music/news/gene-simmons-rock-is-finally-dead-20140907

whatculture.com/music/9-reasons-rock-and-roll-is-dead-and-never-coming-back

theguardian.com/music/2016/may/23/rock-music-is-dead-red-hot-chili-peppers-flea-pearl-jam

Elvis was the last true rock musician of any importance.

idc, it's stupid either way. people actually listen to vaporwave, yung lean, etc in 2016 so it has real consequences.

He called it

youtube.com/watch?v=A4_YgnhTMEg

wow

i literally just posted the first thing i found on my desktop that was music related. chill out.

>Who was the last band who could be called a rock band
Oasis, unironically.

bud that am, franz, and bloc party record are all great, and am didn't really hit a clunker till SIAS or humbug (kinda)

post grunge did tho

MUSE

died in the 90's?

You gotta count The Strokes, Libertines, and Arctic Monkeys at the very least. Bands like Fratellis, Neon Trees, Kooks, Wombats, etc. came in a killed/tainted that wave, but the originators brought guitar into the 2000's.

Hell, what about Fall Out Boy, Panic!, Academy Is, Maine and all those guys? These were rock bands that were at the height of popularity.

If anything what about SOAD? Those guys weren't a "revival" of anything, but completely them.

>early AM albums
>bad

they have more energy and enthusiasm than a lot of the experimental wank out of the 60s-80s

The Strokes, White Stripes, Kyuss/QOTSA are all absolutely worthy of being counted alongside Radiohead.

The Sup Forums autism about rock is the worst thing on this board.

OoS, BHaR and Absolution were their only really good releases

Okay, so does that negate OP's question?

>you were born too late to kill rock for good
It hurts.