Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums

What is the truth? Ever since I was about 14 I've studied all major religions looking for answers.

I was raised Christian but after I read the bible I found out that the trinity is never even mentioned in the bible. This Led me to atheism.

After searching for truth, I stumbled upon the bhagavad gita and Upanishads. Honestly I feel like this is the truth but I could be wrong.

These texts are from the ancient yogis thousands of years ago which give answers to all of my questions.

Should I trust this shit?

They believe in a supreme god who manifests himself in everyone and everything, and the goal of life is to become one with him.

Tell me your thoughts on god. Is this bullshit?

What does Sup Forums believe in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3TMuOXT52PM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You've been studying for a couple months then?

Similar theory is that we are all god and each and every person or consciousness in the universe is the same thing, however we cannot realise this fully as our memories are wiped after we die or some shit.

Sounds pretty crazy

Also worth noting that they believe that if you don't reach the goal of becoming one with god, you are simply reborn until this is attained.

For me, that's more logical than a god who would punish you eternally in hell.

i'm not trying to make fun of you or beeing sarcastic

but have you considered to read philosophy books instead of religious ones?

>and the goal of life is to become one with him.
do you realy want to do that? i mean, i wouldn't

Listen to Alan Watts and Ekhart Tolle if you are interested in this kind of shit. Its pretty cool to listen to.

:)

i think it's the other way round (on the point of logic)

if you burn eternally in hell that means you have your own mind, conciusness and you are an individual

but

whats the point of beeing reborn?
what does that even mean? if you are reborn without any memories, then you are not the person before therefore it was not a rebirth but the creation of a new mind
i mean, you are mostly made out of your memories and if they vanish from one moment to the other, you are a different person
but thats only my opinion tho

>What is the truth?

OH BOI YA DONE GONE AND DID IT NAH!

RELIGION IS SHIT RELIGION IS WRONG RELIGIONS A WHOREEE

Yeah I got into philosophy before religion really. I've read primarily western philosophy such Plato. For me, this provided me answers with tangible things but not with the non earthly stuff.

Its also worthy to note that those books I read in my original post are indeed philosophy as well. Upanishads are eastern philosophy.

I read a quote somewhere that said something like:

"A yogi and a philosopher both share the same goal. They both seek truth. The philosopher seeks truth through logic and reasoning while the yogi seeks truth through spiritualism and discipline

Just do psychedelics and everything will make sense

THE TRUTH IS HERE NOW MOTHERFUCKERS!

following the bhagavad gita is not a bad choice, but I don't think your gonna find the "truth" anywhere.

Literally all religion that believes in an invisible all powerful being are bullshit shams.

I wonder the same shit man

I asked a guru why there's suffering for good people and he said its because o their karma from past lives. I don't remember what I did in a pat life so I think that's fuckd up lol

YA WENT AHEAD AND LOOKED TO SOUTH ASIA FOR ANSWER MY GUY!

Kek

THERE ARE NO ANSWERS HERE FOOL!!!

I've read the Gita, the entire Bible, Koran, Tanakh, and others I can't recall...

What you will find is that each have things which are close to the truth, and things that aren't.

You will find there may be interesting coincidences - so much so that they may not be coincidences - but that no work is revealed entirely by a deity.

I have my own idea about the world but it's more of an atheistic/agnostic one. I see two possibilities.

ONLY A VERY ANCIENT KIND OF MADNESS

WOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What do you think about EVP's ? They seem to be legit about talking to the dead

Dafuq

YOU'RE NOT READY FOR THESE BIG MEATY VEDAS!

What could be inside ? ? ?

trips to open !

you read plato, what about descartes, nietzsche and the other "modern" ones?

i like Karl Popper the most

also, i don't really care about everything that is beyond physics
because of Cogito ergo sum i know i exist
everything else is not important and will be delivered to me as a big surprise one day (sry for bad english)

Your mom

I was gonna but couldn't get my hands on any/ non of my friends do psychedelics

DO YOU HAVE YOUR TRUTH NOW user!?

smoke weed eeryday-Lord Shiva

The concept of the divine is a mental fallacy brought about by the very same few and exceedingly primitive mechanisms inherent in the human psyche into which it also plays.

I've read Nietzsche.

I'm laughing right now looking back at it. When o used to go to Christian school I took a Nietzsche book and the teacher was freakin out lmao

I don't reject anything really. Just trying to find truth

God is a crazy motherfucker. He do everything for lulz.

Sheep always look to follow. Figure out your own life for yourself. If you want to be chucked into any adults pretending they know what happens when you die, that's good for you. Religion is a means of control. "Spirituality" is a word for people who want to be controlled.

i think, no offense, that carma is pure bullshit

there is no force which controlls that shit; and even if there was, we are tiny humans who are not that important

it's just like justice:
both are mind constructs from the weak, poor and harmed ones to gain hope that one day it will be better and that the bad ones get what they desevere (in our eyes)

but
it's just coincidence like the fact that we live
there is (or might be) a force beyond our understandings but
we are tiny little humans who are not worthy enough to be interacted with

>Is this bullshit?
Probably.

The biggest inconsistency I've noticed between religion and reality is frankly a very basic one: Goals.
Every religion is structured towards performing rituals to end up at a certain spot. The universe doesn't work like that. Things just abide by physical rules, but there's no such things as reasons or objectives. They're made up.

>a mental fallacy
Lol

So you think that the oldest surviving text has to be true?

The Earth is billions of years old. Humans have been around for hundreds of thousands of years. Hinduism has been around in its modern form for only about 2,500 years or so, forming from a synthesis of older practices, going back at most to the iron age. In the grand scheme of things, it's as if Hinduism arose moments ago.

If there were a god, there would be signs all over the place, not just a few fragmentary texts from primitive peoples. You'd see signs all over the place, which could be tested and verified. In reality, there is none of this.
The evidence from reality does not support the idea that there exists or existed any supernatural deities or forces.

There is no god. By the way, there is no free will either. Sorry.

WITNESS ALL THAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT IN YOUR INSOLENCE MY BOI!

Its not about knowing the after life

Honestly I don't give a shit what happened after death I want to know what this reality is

Nothing's done till you do it

Karma is a word that simply means 'the sum of your actions.'.

There's no believing or disbelieving. All the 'good'/'bad' karma mumbo-jumbo is idiotic westerners who cannot into translation because interpretation.

What you need to develop is a logical basis from which to challenge the authority of others when they make objective claims. Until you do this you've got no solid ground to discern what may or may not be closer to truth.

>no free will either
People get way more upset by this fact than they should. It makes good sense, the idea of free will just sounds empowering, despite being entirely ridiculous.

This is why Buddha says there is no such thing as the "self". It's sort of impossible to put it into language since language by its very nature is an expression of self. But when you are on this train of thought I think you can understand what he means.

>What is the truth?

I think therefore I am, the only truth available to you when you begin your journey to the truth, bro. It means that you can doubt everything, even that you exist, but can't doubt that you doubt, otherwise there would be no you doubting. So the "I", the subject, in this proposition "I think therefore I am", exists insofar as he thinks (since doubting is an activity implied by thinking).

> the trinity is never even mentioned in the bible

True, it's an explanatory concept created by the church in order to try and illustrate the three moments of the act of faith. I.e. faith in itself (the father), faith as a duality (the son) and faith as a trinity, or union of the opposites, which means faith as an event (the holy spirit). Remarkably, trinity is a concept you can find in the books of a famous semiotician, C.S. Peirce, who tries to describe signs as three in nature (so not just signifier-signified), even though to my knowledge he's not particularly religious and is trying to understand how signs, not eternal truths, work.

>Should I trust this shit?

You should trust your own findings. Or read the only true ontology that's ever been written, i.e. the Ethics by Spinoza. It won't give you the eternal truth in the form of propositions, but it'll help you find your own truths, your own way to god through the signs that constitute our dual world.

>Tell me your thoughts on god. Is this bullshit?

Pantheism isn't bullshit, in fact it's what Spinoza ends up with, Interestingly though, he refers to the Oneness as "God or Nature", Deus sive Natura, which leaves you wonder.

There is a One, there is also duality, and there is also a trinity, or tierceity, to use Peirce's expression.

The difficulty when you seek truth is that you seek a proposition, as in "Truth is X". In fact, truth is an event, a tierceity, or a substance that we can perceive by making sense of the signs that define our existence as bodies and minds, as Spinoza explains.

Oh look another stupid ass teen trying to seek the "truth". Fucking kek. First of all you have to reach a certain criteria before you can answer the question of what is truth.

1) Wait until you are at least 27
2) Cum balls deep in a woman
3) Break up with your first love
4) Overcome and destroy your rival (if you don't one you ain't living your life)
5) Mastery of your spirit and character
6) Reach a financial point where you don't rely on others for your quality of life (this includes your job, if you work for some you already fucked up)

Btw op to this date the best thing I read in literature to this date was halfway into the first chapter to the beginning of the second in the Gita "Whence this lifeless dejection, Arjuna, in this hour, the hour of trial?..."

By far the most inspiring chunk of literature I've ever read.

I believe religion is bs but some of the literature has hidden treasures in them. Some much more than others. IMO the things I read in religious books beat what I read from psychology although I'm an atheist.

Possibility 1; (assuming my life experiences and conclusions are correct) You are alive, and like Alan Watts and Carl Sagan have said, are part of the universe. This 'episode'of consciousness is just the universe being. This is the only way it can experience and know itself; through us.

Without life there is no consciousness and there is therefore 'nothing'that can be experienced.

I can't remember anything before I was born absolutely, so, I think that after I die, it will be the same.

The universe will merely continue to experience itself through consciousness, whether you're a squirrel or a human, as a result there is no 'nothing' after death; there is only continued 'experience'.

2: we can't know if we're in a matrix or an aliens science project etc.

I discard god because each religion makes extremely specific claims about the universe and the creator(s) of the universes which are not true and forces me to believe these religions are not god-inspired.

I found my own missions in life that are directly related to how I view the world, so I'm not wallowing in nihilism or anything.

That's my two cents.

The truth is that life is an inevitable outcome of the Laws of Thermodynamics as it is the form that most efficiently transforms enthalpy to entropy.

Now why the universe is keyed this way not really known but the answer is not is in the Bible, Quran, Upanishads or whatever holy text you want to point at.

I smoked a joint and fapped to a picture of my granny in a swimming suit when she was 20 years old. I came so hard

I believe on IKEA chairs and on youtube.com/watch?v=3TMuOXT52PM

These are the best answers you're going to get tbh user.

Good for you bro.

Dharma truth is absolute friend.

>the truth isn't in the old theories but the new theories.

How can someone be this fucking stupid lmao at your life son

>So you think that the oldest surviving text has to be true?

No, these books were not even my first resort. I looked at everything, not just old shit

>If there were a god, there would be signs all over the place, not just a few fragmentary texts from primitive peoples. You'd see signs all over the place, which could be tested and verified. In reality, there is none of this.
Their concept of god isn't some dude who controls everything. Its a tough concept, but from my understanding he's more of a force than anything.

>The evidence from reality does not support the idea that there exists or existed any supernatural deities or forces.

What evidence? There's no way to prove or disprove their "god". Its just a concept of reality / state if being

Mind blown

look into stoicism, it has some of the same ideas of hinduism/buddhism but without deities

do whatever you want op
it's your decision

> as a result there is no 'nothing' after death

Thanks man.. This Is by far the most helpful answer. When I asked my dad about these things he recommended I study Spinoza.. But I never did..definitely gonna gt into itnow.

Kinda off.topic but I read some guys shirt that said, "this shirt cannot think, therefore it does not exist" lol... Thoughts on that?

Along who said that I think therefore I am? Descartes?

>stoicism without deities
>hahahahahahHhhHAaa lmaooooooooooo

why was the teacher freaking out? haha

our catholic religion teachress told us to read many philosophy books

Thanks for getting me thinking to more possibilities

wikipedia says something different

Thelema. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, love is the law, love under will.

Be careful about Spinoza and such.

Einstein spent the end of his life trying to debunk quantum randomness because he believed in order.

He could have contributed more to science instead of wasting his efforts on proving pre conceived ideas.

Toodooloo

Are you mentally deficient?

Truth is we are all in the Matrix

Yes, do heroin.

This

i can't define "self" not because of the language, but because of the lack of knowledge and intelligence

but
i'm dead sure that memories, experience and genetics are big parts of a "self"
and the problem with rebirth is, as you can probably tell by now, that these three major points are lost when a rebirth happens

i therefore conclude that there is no rebirth
but
if you define rebirth by saying "the spiritual energy moves from ones thing to an other one", than yes, rebirth is possible but has nothing to do with personalities and a "self"

Very interesting. Agreed.

Existing comes before thinking. "I think, therefore I am" is just way of knowing that you exist, if you were wondering.

>"this shirt cannot think, therefore it does not exist"

Lol. Well it gets a little more complicated with Kant, who sorta had this problem. His idea was that thinking and being aren't on the same level: existence is undetermined, while thinking is determined. In other words, for Decartes, who's indeed the author of the Cogito, something undetermined, "I am", is determined by something determined, "I think". Kant gets furious about this and argues that there need to be a third term, the "determinable", to actually make the bond between the determined and the determination.

I guess this shirt's main problem is that it can't say "I think"

Yes, do read Spinoza. Don't hesitate to use secondary sources though: if you've never studied philosophy before it can get difficult.

I thought the Buddhist concept of no-self meant no permanent/eternal self. Like there is no mystical essence in us that will last forever.

The universe is a purely physical entity. Due to this, and the fact that physical processes have no meaning, nothing has true meaning. This is the truth.

Maybe it's Nietzsche's negative views on Christianity.

Well, actually it's the act of doubting, i.e. thinking, that allows you to say "I exist". So in a strict sense, thinking comes before existence. The subject comes before the experience. That's the introduction of subjectivism in philosophy and in thought. Which explains the filiation between Descartes and the Idealists, who came in the 19th century, and who claim everything is in the mind, in the sense that everything is determined by the subject.

you forgot the force bro

>Like there is no mystical essence in us that will last forever.
It means that mind and mind object are not identitcal.

>"Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."

i looked it up and i found that in budhism the "self" is no constant unit but a changing process

i agree, that you are not the same person you were prior to your last change of thoughts
but
these changes are small
and a rebirth is like a total change

>and a rebirth is like a total change

From the buddhist point of view there is no distinction between the psychological rebirth of one mind moment to the next and the cosmological rebirth from one life to the next.

You can't be told the truth
You have to grasp it from the answers I give you to any questions you have.

Op I am here, the real deal for you.
Ask

I actually do remember from before my birth..

>i studied religions
>NOT SCIENCE
theres your problem, u delusional fuck.

>lets say from human to mouse
have you ever seen a mouse behaving human-like?
how can the transfer from a human into a mouse or tree not be a complete difference?

from an infants point of view theres no difference between its emotions and the emotions of others

>real deal
god?

The truth is that our existence is a complete coincidence.

Mice have sense organs just like humans, don't they?
To be a living being means to be receptive towards enviorment.
Sense consciousness arises dependently on that, hence there cannot be an entity in control of the perceptual process.

buddhism
/thread

user, you read the Dharma? Also i will tell you to start meditation, im looking for the truth too, i studied most of the religions too

No I meant that I can provide anyone with the raw truth if anyone was seekong it.

what did you understand because i have trouble understanding the no self concept

The truth is that we have evolved. There's no God or satan. It's only what we believe in that drives us.

why are you searching the truth?
what are you hoping to get if you find it?
do you think you can find something that no one found yet?

I will tell you now there is no god, you may come across things you think are god, or things that proclaim to be god however the only real answer is that a god doesn't exist.