All I want for christmas

I think All i want for christmas by Mariah Carey is amazing. I think it's pet sounds levels of technical especially on a vocal harmonical level.
The lyrics are also very deep even though they seem so normal, but it's basically someone asking for true love and nothing else.

One was made on 4-track tape with live musicians

The other was made on 48-track tape with sequenced/programmed instruments

You're right but does it really matter?
Isn't it about the song in the end?

>does the feat in which art is created really matter?

Best Christmas song next to Jackson 5's Mommy kissing Santa Claus

No?

Why not?

Because it is about the art and not the proces of making it.

ok

The process of making it literally defines it

to me, All I Want For Christmas is the only Christmas song that came out in my lifetime that is a "real" Christmas song

and watching Mariah in the santa costume was one of the first times i realized that fucking a girl might be pretty decent

Why?

Because otherwise you'd be ignoring context, which is essential when viewing art.

Also the value of something is often determined by the work put into it

lol what
i like the my chemical romance cover version

I think that is really a personal perspective there are too many contradications otherwise for that statement. Also do you consider
Popular = Good Art a legit argument?

James Joyce had a difficult time writing Finnegan's Wake, more so than either The Dead or Ulysses. He spent 17 years making it.

You know what that makes Finnegan's Wake? A lesser work than either The Dead or Ulysses if you judge the art in of itself.

>You know what that makes Finnegan's Wake? A lesser work than either The Dead or Ulysses if you judge the art in of itself.
Clearly you haven't read Finnegan's wake
>there are too many contradications otherwise
Like what?
>Also do you consider
>Popular = Good Art a legit argument?
If I did, then mariah Carey would be better than Pet Sounds, now wouldn't it?

Fair point I guess the contradictions kind of dissolve when you don't believe that popularity = quality of art. But how do you determine the quality of art?

>But how do you determine the quality of art?
Analysis of artistic intention, process, execution and results.

>The Intention Fallacy.

But by those standards the way it was created isn't taken into account is it?

>hundreds of years of critical thought on art?
>it's a fallacy
>process

But by that logic of harder proces = better art.

Example:
Lets say I can easily make an amazing song.
And someone else can make an equally good song.

Would that mean his song is better from an art perspective?

Well, tell me about your and his intention, process, execution and results.

We both intent to make a song that captures the emotion of dying.
I pull it off easily and he struggles a lot. (both process and execution).
Result we both captured the emotion of dying in a song.

Define "equally good." This argument doesn't stand up because it assumes that both pieces will be viewed as equals, but that wouldn't be the case if we examined process, context etc.

Hundreds of people have made art that "looks like" Jackson Pollock's, but no one cares because Jackson Pollock was more than the sum of his art.

This is why hyper-realistic painting, while impressive, doesn't get much attention. It's all about technical skill and doesn't have any room for creativity.

You're only bringing this song up because you just left the mall/grocery store right?

No

No I mean specifics. How did you and he create the art?

Easy vs Difficult =/= Personal vs Vapid

If you sat down at a computer and punched out a "song about dying" I reckon it wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting as someone who created a song about their own personal fears.
Your argument only works assuming the piece is produce is just as good as the other, and you can't just assume that would be the case.

What if, just what if, somebody creates a masterful composition but we know nothing about his intention, the context of the times, and process in went through.

Did you ask him?

Sorry man I don't have that much time to make up such an example. Maybe something that is comparable IRL, which album would you say is better from your perspective.

Dark side of the moon vs O.K computer

Ok. I just wanted to show this chart because it makes me laugh

>Sorry man I don't have that much time to make up such an example
Let me know when you come up with a realistic example then
>Dark side of the moon vs O.K computer
Better from what perspective?

Hahahaha ye that is pretty funny, I'll admit I wouldn't have started this thread in june.

Artistic

Both are great, because they both reflect on the times in which they were created. Out of context they'd still be good, but probably not as interesting.

In what sense?

But how would you apply the intention -> process ->execution ->result

>apply
I feel like you are trying your best to find a fault with this, but you can't because you don't know what you are talking about and don't know anything about art beyond "I like this"

Why would you personally attack me instead of answering a very simple question?

I will if you answer this
1) are you ignorant about art?
2) are you just attempting to poke holes here?

1) No
2) I am asking questions and if that is attempting to poke holes then yes I am trying to do that.

Both albums were created by utilizing the talents of people who had been creating music for years, and both are considered to be reflective of their times.
I'm not sure where you're going with this.

So are you asking what the intent and creation process of those albums are?

I think both albums, when all things considered, are of equal artistic value.

You can enjoy music however you want. If you're purely focused on results than so be it. Many people (I'd guess most respected critics), however, value context and process when evaluating art.

The process of making art is essential if you want to study art from a historiographical perspective. Art historians do discuss how Van Gogh painted alongside what makes Van Gogh's paintings beautiful.

This. This is the most recent addition to the Christmas songbook. Everything in the 20-some odd years since has been largely shitty covers or even shittier original songs.