How to fix baseball

I will preface this by saying I love baseball. However, I realize the average game length has increased in the past decade or so.

1) only commercials between each inning, not each half inning

2) shorten amount of warm up pitches for relievers coming in

3) prevent players from stepping outside the box after every pitch to adjust their balls and gloves.

4) no more than 1 minute for a challenge. If it takes longer than that to try and find something, then play stands. This could slide in the playoffs since shit means more

These are the glaring ones I can see. I don't really want a pitch clock, but these other things are dumb. Nothing is worse than the garciaparra tier fag always stepping outside the box.

Thoughts?

>inb4 you call me a faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Baseball
bleacherreport.com/articles/2080837-baseballs-pitching-dilemma-too-hard-too-fast-too-much-too-soon
sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071004084045.htm
nytimes.com/2012/03/12/sports/baseball/debate-grows-over-how-to-protect-young-pitching-arms.html?_r=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

a batter in each batters box.

that way there is double the chance for offense

1. remove bats
2. increase size of balls and decrease weight
3. but two large rectangles with nets at opposing ends of stadium
4. set game length to 90 minutes
5. team that shoots the ball more often into the opposing rectangle wins

Constructive posts please. This isn't a shitpost, believe it or not. I just want games to go back to being around 2hr40min not like 3hr10min

MULTIBALL

>incentivize dives
>just add some more time to clock to make up for ducking around
>max out at 1 point a game
>multiball
Sounds like magic.

1) Commercials are during each half inning because nothing is going on. The players are getting themselves on the field and warming up while the pitcher throws a few pitches. We could have them just come out and get settled in which would take 30 seconds max, that would speed things up.

2) I agree with this, the only 'devil's advocate' I can think of is that the mound is different than the one they use in the bullpen, so they have to get used to it.

3) The stepping-out-of-the-box-for-15-seconds meme does drag the game on, agree with this completely.

4) I'd say give the challenges a max of 5 minutes (although it should never go that long in the first place). If it's that important that they are challenging the play, it's best to get the right call out of it rather than waste time for nothing.

Fair enough on the first point. I just want them to get their ass out there asap and get the game on.

Yeah the challenge system is fair. I know they want to get the call right. It's just annoying when sometimes it drags on for like 3 minutes. It just seems to me that if it is taking that many looks, then it's too close to call and call stands.

Each base is actually home plate, surrounded by field
4 pitchers at once
No umpire, No rules

get rid of balks

also limit the number of foul balls that can be hit

Dick hard because of this pic. I can not anwser seriously

And we have a winner!

1 is pointless as nothing happens in the middle of an inning by design, 2 and 3 are fine i guess, no to 4 as it is too short, 3 or 5 minutes if you want a time limit.

tell japan to fix their stupid rules and code about letting their pitchers pitcher 100 innings

they have so much talent and their pitchers when fresh have such a great career here like nomo

Genius!

1. They're not gonna cut 50% of their advertising revenue, plus what said
2. Maybe, I don't see why not
3. yes
4. yes

The most effective way to speed things up though would be with a pitch clock

I actually want to increase my proposed 1 minute limit to 90 seconds. 60 seconds seems a bit short. This 3-5 minute BS is too long, unless it's the playoffs.

The time would tick from the second the umps are in contact with NY.

reduce to home base and 1st
flatten one side of the bat down
instead of outs, the batter has to protect something, put some sticks in the ground and stop them being knocked over for now
thrower allowed to bounce the ball before reaching home plate

any more suggestions guys?

PLEASE WATCH OUR SPORT

Rename sport to a bug

Why make a sport that is exactly like cricket? Doesn't make sense.

No problem friend.

- Link homeplate umps up to pitchtrax (which will probably happen in the next 5 years).

The game's pace does need a bit speeding up. Even during the Golden Age, games lasted only about 2 hours.

I'm okay with a pitch clock, but only during the regular season. A playoff game or World Series game decided on something like a delay of game would be a travesty. Pitch clock would also kill a lot of the tension build up when the pitcher just can't finish off a batter in a crucial moment and has to take a small break to mentally reset (like picking up the rosin, etc).

Yeah that's why I don't really like the pitch clock and plus wouldn't it just be abused by lightly tossing over to first. You can't limit tosses to first because then that would mean the player has an auto steal. Unless they toss to 2nd I guess.

You said nothing about handball being forbidden

Hans rekt

That's the way the game should end.

A sport that can end in a tie or needs a Mario Party minigame to break the tie is not a real sport.

>euros getting triggered by playing until a clear winner

Can't make this shit up

more like euros falling asleep. i'd rather watch a 24 hours of le mans than watch a 5h baseball game.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Baseball

>5h baseball game.

Good thing the average game is around 3h and this thread is trying to discuss ways to reduce that.

Why do people always have to shitpost and derail threads?

You guys watch 30 hour cricket matches, though.

really makin me think. Got any vids?

Azn hotties desu

3h is still way too much. All your sports take too much tbH, I like basketball but it has too many fucking timeouts and too many stops. Also the fact that you guys put commercials whenever you can doesn't help.

If baseball was around average 2h45m for a 9 inning game, then it would be good.

That is why I made this thread.

>gets valid critique
>shut up! stop derailing the thread!

i don't like american sports because they have a billion breaks, thus stretching a game over multiple hours. if i want to see long games, i will watch chess.

2h45m is still too large, but ok.

Really isn't a way you can make baseball much shorter than that. Even some of the quickest games are like 2h20m

Except hardly any games are 5h, so your critique started with some over-exaggerated number. Other than that, your post offers no constructive criticism. You simply pulled a number out of your ass and made a post.

It is fine you don't like our sports, but then why are you even in this thread? There are plenty of football threads for you to post in. Or there is an F1 general I believe, if racing is your thing.

>tfw I watch chess and love to watch baseball
>and cycling

Guys, can we have a thread on how to fix my life?

What a fresh hell that game must've been.

What is wrong with that. You like what you like.

To be honest, chess can be an interesting watch.

I love watching poker, but I play it a lot too, so that may be why.

rangers fan detected

You can't limit tosses to first, but they couldn't avoid it when no one was on base

you are too noble, i apologize.

Dunno what that means but okay

Baseball is fine the way it is, maybe just give DH to NL. I watched Red Sox vs. Giants last night and it was 3:46 long and was great the whole time.
Manfred is talking about limiting use of relief pitchers, what a dingbat, this will ruin perfectly fine game.

limiting relief pitcher use is probably the worst decision and would unequivocally ruin the game.

1. Make the pitch a giant circle with the batter in the middle
2. Have 2 batsman that run between two points to score runs
2. Add some sort of target that if the pitcher hits, the batter is out
3.Use rectangular bats rather than cylindrical bats
5.Pitchers can only throw over-arm with no bend at the elbow.
4. Each batter only gets 1 turn to bat per inning and the teams only switch when one team has 10 batters out.

this a sports discussion, not one about insects.

How many times do I have to say this isn't a shitposting thread? Go make a cricket thread if you want to discuss it.

Oh, by the way, you are late

why not just make it 3strikes and 3 balls, and make it that you can foul out, but not on a full count.

it doesn't need to be fixed, stop making these stupid threads every week.

So you are fine with the average game time going up by 30-40 minutes in the past decade?

I love baseball, but I don't see how this is a good thing.

i don't see how it's a bad thing, it means that offense is becoming more frequent. the era of pitchers running the league is gradually coming to an end. so sit back, grab a cold one and shut up.

Some could be attributed to it, but is all of the extra 40 minutes due to offensive prowess or other factors?

it must be the offense because the autistic habits of baseball players have not changed, they've always been that way. we're seeing longer at bats and more people on base.

So you really think asking how to improve a sport on a malaisian cooking website will incent this sports managers to change it?

Count me in!

Even back in the steroid era games were around 2h45m so I guess commercialization hasn't helped it much sadly.

Why even discuss anything here then? I guess continuously saying Manchester United is going to get fleeced by the Paul Pogba signing on this board will not have an effect on Mourinho's decision. Pack it up, might as well not make any threads about it!

Really made me fucking think Pierre. Why talk about anything on here except slipper wet dog doodie then?

the thing about steroids in baseball is players were taking it to hit more homers. that doesn't give you longer games, playing with an RBI mindset gives you longer games and is more fun to watch than some giant ape hitting dingers.

So why not a pitch clock? They already have a shot clock in basketball

True that. Never really thought about it that way. Blasting homers all game does get boring.

Could happen. I guess it would only happen when bases are empty, since holding runners is such a big part of the game at times.

>Ads pay the bill, no way that is happening
>Makes sense, but a player can throew there arm out if not properly warmed up
>I sign off on your #3 idea. Good job!
>They usually don't take to long on replays. Not enough to make a big deal about anyways
>Idiotic
>Verzögerung
>Hilarious!
>Pure Haram
>Lucifer
>kys
>Better yet, limit strength training for pitchers & also limit pitches & types of pitches in youth baseball
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
I enjoy a bit of the human element, But I see your point.
>Fuck that, pitch the ball or get off the mound.
>So pitchers can blow their arm out, because they exceeded their pitcher limit? No thank you
>Cute
>Extreme changes are sacrilege, nothing too drastic & within reason.

I say increase the strike zone. Offense is for plebs.

Not totally true.

Let's take 1978. The average runs scored in the NL was 3.99. Last season, the average runs scored in the NL was 4.11. Not too much of an increase.

(Clicking around the 1978 season on BBref) The average 9 inning baseball game in 1978 seemed to last about 2:30-2:45.

I've always maintained that baseball is the best designed out of all the North American sports (no clock, limited official influence on outcome, variety of scorelines), but it could use some tweaks.

One idea I liked from one of these troll threads was the idea that a pitcher should be forced to finish out an inning. I think this would be more "sporting" and create more drama ("Kershaw is obviously rattled. Melting down! Can he get out of it?")

Another idea I'm in favor of is a forced cut down on the amount of relief pitchers a team can use. In the "good old days," your starter often tried to go the distance (Warren Spahn and Juan Marichal dueled for 19 innings!) and the bullpen basically consisted of a setup man and closer.

You could argue that this would reduce the complexity of roster building, but I don't think so. You're still going to need 4 or 5 quality starters and deep bullpen to match up with different teams, so limiting use to 3 or 4 pitchers per 9 innings shouldn't undermine roster building.

Other than that, baseball doesn't need too much tweaking.

i'm talking about more people on base, not necessarily more runs. and no we should not risk the health of starting pitchers just for the entertainment of casual fans who need "storylines" to stay engaged.

Good post but why call my thread a troll? I wanted genuine discussion.

>how do you make a pile of shit taste good?

We're not talking about TieGrass, Manu.

>risk the health of starting pitchers

How the hell did Nolan Ryan, Dwight Gooden, Bert Blyleven, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, etc, etc throw so many complete games and still had long careers (aside from Doc who got addicted to crack)? And then you had guys like Maddux, Glavine, Cone, Smoltz with pinpoint control also being able to throw long innings.

And these guys threw just as hard and nasty with arguably more damaging mechanics since they didn't have the luxury of computer analysis back then.

They weren't playing 50 AAU games a year as kids. We fuck up these kids before they ever set foot in the majors.

>comes into a thread that has had some very constructive posts and quality discussion
>posts this very low quality post

There are plenty of soccer threads for you. Please leave.

I don't doubt that. Any good reads about this?

It just boggles my mind how modern pitchers seem to implode after exceeding their "nanny" pitch counts.

they still didn't have to finish every single game of the season. ask any of those old farts if they think that's a good idea.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2080837-baseballs-pitching-dilemma-too-hard-too-fast-too-much-too-soon

sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071004084045.htm

nytimes.com/2012/03/12/sports/baseball/debate-grows-over-how-to-protect-young-pitching-arms.html?_r=0

I'm not suggesting they finish every game. But those guys would be good for 10-20 CGs per season, going into 120-150 pitch counts.

Thanks!

No problem, user.

Even I feel like my arm has pains here and there and I can't help but think it was because of pitching so much as a kid. Maybe it's just a mental thing though.

3 is already a thing, faggot. They can only leave the box after a swing and miss. They changed the rules a couple seasons ago. Where were you when players were getting in trouble for not remembering/disobeying?

Way to act like dick my man

PAJEET I

Require companies like Franklin and Nike to make actual gloves that don't need to be retightened after every pitch (regardless of swing)

Vin Scully said the length of games increased dramatically ever since batters started using them

Yeah, they still walk to the edge and leave one foot in and then spend the next 10 seconds staring at the sky

Usually I hate that guy but he is right

1. Replace the ball with a ball made out of plastic (If ball explodes, that's an out)
2. Allow more bench players
3. 2 OFs and 5 IFs
4. If ball hits runner, play stops
5. Two nets in the outfield to prevent HRs so that strategy becomes a thing
6. Have pitch speed limits
7. If umpires make a mistake, they are taken to the Nike Guillotine Station
8. If no team scores a run after 9 innings, there are now 5 outs per inning, and only 6 batters per team.

let me take a wild guess and say you have never actually played baseball in real life

>that bottom juuuust showing some side cunny

I did. I also didn't step out of the box 50 times a game

won't happen
yes
yes, or step out at his own risk, but the ball should be live the whole time, the pitcher can start to pitch as soon as he wants to
nah, but give the teams only a few seconds to decide whether to challenge or not, not a minute while they wait for the video guy to confirm that they should challenge

also limit catcher pitcher meetings, 3 per game

no pitch clock

>goal is to hit the batter with the ball
>batter has to defend himself with the bat
>if that's not good enough, have multiple pitchers

Kek

Commercial breaks aren't really the problem, and they would never be removed anyway. The real issue is the boredom and insanely slow pace of the game itself. Here's what MLB should do:

-Limit the number of pickoff attempts to 1 per at bat (2 are permitted if there are multiple runners on base)

-Limit the number of times that a batter can call for time to once per at bat

-Enforce a pitch clock. If the batter is in the box and the pitcher waits more than 10 seconds to throw (either a pickoff or a pitch), then it's an automatic ball

-Limit the number of pitching changes to 3 per game (and an extra 3 for extra innings). I'm tired of seeing a manager make multiple pitching changes in a single inning.

Back in 1920, the average baseball game lasted 90 minutes. Today the average game lasts 368 minutes.

You should post the rest of that photo set

Yeah but once you have used your amount of pickoffs, then the baserunner gets a huge lead for himself.

Agree

I just would really hate to have it come to a pitch clock, but maybe so.

I don't really like this, but just make the mound the same in the BP and limit their warm up pitches to like 5. Don't they get 10 now? Ridiculous.

1) I agree

2) You probably have never pitched before

3) Again you don't know what you're talking about if you cant see the rythem and strategy in this

4) Agree the umpire decision is a part of the game

Limit the amount of relievers somehow. The idea of bringing in a new guy just to pitch to a dude's weakness like 5 times in a game is ridiculous.

Each reliever has to face at least 3 batters, something like that.

>muh rythym and strategy

When a batter is doing it 5 or 6 times per at bat, it's just annoying for literally everyone watching. Especially when he takes his sweet time to do it every time.