White guy travelling to Bangladesh next month. I'm going with a bourgeois Bangladeshi person from work...

White guy travelling to Bangladesh next month. I'm going with a bourgeois Bangladeshi person from work, and they're going to be my travel guide/translator.

What should I expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qfAcGQ7-CNE
youtube.com/watch?v=12R37rQ-zSY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Poo. Lots of it.

beggars

Actually no

food poisoning

You'll probably get to see some gnarly gore.

This. And overpopulation.

$2 usd whores

Enjoy yourself. Make sure you eat everything.

Expect to see streets literally flooded with blood.

An Islamic flavouring of Poo in a Loo.

It's better than India in that aspect at least, if not many others
Probably avoid Dhaka I guess, and don't walk alone at night?
Expect too many people crammed into too small a place

>Probably avoid Dhaka I guess, and don't walk alone at night?
I'm actually staying in Dhaka, but will be going down to the Sundarbans for three days. My Bangladeshi friend will be organising a hire car with a driver for getting around, so I won't need to walk around too much. She has advised me that walking around at night is a no-go.

Dhaka is a complete shithole, can't speak for the rest of the country but it probably won't be much better there.
Maybe more serene in a sense that it's not a crammed, poorly maintained and poorly planned urban mess. Nature should be nice though, I guess.

Anyway, if this is your first time in a third world country be prepared for

- the smells
- the noise
- the poverty
- the shitty food (though they'll probably make sure to take you only to "nice" places)
- that even stuff that is supposed to be upscale is shit (they took me to Dhaka's fanciest mall and it was pretty sad)
- expect some Durka chant from the mosques around you a few times a day when it's time for them to pray

Make sure to read the newspaper, it's actually pretty funny to read all the shit that is going on there every single day.
Also, pray that your driver is skilled and maybe it would be better not to take a seat in the front unless you enjoy constant near death experiences as trucks come blasting at you on the wrong side of the road only to pull over a split second before you collide. The honking sounds like a random mess at first, but there is a system to it. Mostly because their cars are all shit and signal lights are nonexistent mostly so they need to make up for it somehow.
Do not drink anything that wasn't bottled and poured in a glass before your own eys.

Here are some lovely impressions from my time over there. Will do a quick picdump even if nobody cares.

youtube.com/watch?v=qfAcGQ7-CNE
youtube.com/watch?v=12R37rQ-zSY

Rickshaws are everywhere

Rickshaw drivers get killed every day

fields upon fields of feces

Also Dhaka airport is really fucking shit.

Two steps away from the business lounge.

Also don't eat at the restaurant in the airport, it has western airport prices but the stuff they serve is complete fucking shit.

Allah will be with you, always.

Good thing is though that you are going there when it's ""winter"".
The summer is unbearable.

thank you for the dump user. I would say Dhaka needs to be bombed from the air but it appears to have happened already!

Holy fuck that's a rare one!

Also, if you have never seen a dead body this trip might be your first time.
Seen like two or three dead brownies in a ditch on the side of the road, emergency isn't all that fast there I guess.

N E W
E
W

Nice one, user. I also went to Bangladesh in 2015. Dhaka is a shithole. Sundarbans is amazing though so if OP has time he should go there.

certainly not pic related, I doubt they'd take you to some random village. They'll probably keep ur ass in the city/

Pollution
Beggars
Power outages
Overcrowded areas

Stay in Gulshan if you can as you are going to Dhaka as it's the most tolerable place in the city.

To those people saying expect shit and beggars like in India, you obviously have not been there and have no clue. Yes, it's dirty, but nowhere near as bad as India. And since there are very few foreigners, you won't get swarmed by beggars either. You will have everyone staring at you, but it's out of curiosity, not because they want to beg.

I found the people to be some of the friendliest and most hospitable I have ever met. Really, completely the opposite of India.

>defacting in the open

that's not even comfortable.
how would one go about it?

Squatting somewhere and taking a shit I guess.

Surprisingly this.

Took a trip to both Bangladesh and India and we had no issues with beggars in Bangladesh but in India they would follow us around the whole time and my dad ended up throwing some money on the ground to get us off of us.

In Bangladesh beggars would sit in a corner and ask for change and if you don't give them anything they wont bother moving but in India they will follow you around.

It's an Islamic thing

Nice try, Mahmoud.

>squatting

I'm not eastern european though.
after 10 seconds it start to hurt.

Begging is not a thing in Islam but Zakat is.

Thanks for this, m8. Yeah, this is actually the second time I've left the country (first was Hong Kong back in July), so I can imagine going to somewhere like Bangladesh to be pretty jarring for a pampered first worlder like me.

Normally I would have had no interest in going to Bangladesh by myself, but the opportunity to travel there with a local is too good to pass up. I'm also completing a MA in International Relations and have an interest in economic development, so I'm pretty interested in seeing what genuine poverty looks like (that sounds kind of dickish written out).

My Bangladeshi friend seems to come from quite a wealthy family, and she seems very focused on making sure I'm safe and that I enjoy myself. I'm going to just trust her and put myself in her hands.

Watch the documentary "whore's glory". You'll learn about prostitution in Bangladesh.