Who is the artist of the decade so far?

Who is the artist of the decade so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11872912
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I mean so far the 2010s have been pretty fucking boring. For me its Kanye tho but considering how fucking awful 2010s have been so far thats not saying much

Beyoncé, anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

I'd honestly say young thug
A dude who was pretty much a literally who completely changed the game

me

Kendrick Lamar.

changed my mind
it's this guy

t numales

I'm not speaking from my opinion.

lol you don't need an avatar on Sup Forums dude

1. Beyonce
2. Grimes

Is that you bro? If that isn't the face of a nu male then I don't know what is. Also high school kiddies gtfo.

Death Grips

21 Savage

Death Grips

Literally try to answer this without memeing. It's hard.
Sadly, probably Drake.
Kanye West has better output this decade, but he already dominated most of the 2000s....
Beyoncé had the bulk of her output last decade too. I personally haven't enjoyed anything she's done this decade.

Kendrick Lamar is in contention, but TPAB was his first and only dance with greatness. Going back to M.A.A.D City makes me cringe a little bit now.
If he can pull off another Butterfly then the decade is his. But untitled unmastered was a mess for me, didn't dig overall.

White people, are you even trying?

>White people, are you even trying?
What are you talking about? Grimes mops the floor with that "talking over music", aka your favorite hip hop artists.

Without a doubt, Death Grips will hold the most weight moving ahead.

Other people are using their positions of power to exercise some real political talk and get people thinking, but musically it's nothing special.

Death Grips are something else.

For artists whose work is predominately 2010s only, Smoove & Turrell. For prexisting but still producing amazing work; Mark De Clive-Lowe, Dego, Kid Koala, Lack of Afro and/or Bugge Wesseltoft.

nice bait there bud

as if making generic synth pop requires any effort

>generic
Name 5 artists pre-Grimes artists that sound like her
I'm waiting

My current contenders, in alphabetical order using first name:

Abu Lahab
Aluk Todolo
Andy Stott
Beach House
Death Grips
Grimes
Janelle Monae
Joanna Newsom
Julia Holter
Kanye West
Pyrrhon
Titus Andronicus

Best one out of pure musical merit: Joanna Newsom

Most interesting: Abu Lahab or Death Grips

Personal favorite: Titus Andronicus

>White people, are you even trying?

White people make much, much better music than Kendrick Lamar. There are too many to even list.

Drake, Kanye West or Beyonce will be remembered as the artists of the decade based on how things have gone so far
They have so much mainstream appeal but are still regularly well received by critics

Swans

Unfortunately, this is probably true. It's all force memeing by the big publications, too.

And I'm not even saying this to be RAYCIS. There is much better hip-hop and r/b from this decade than these three.

Beach House makes shitty Cocteau Twins
Grimes is synthpop
Titus Andronicus is a somehow shittier verison of a shitty ripoff of the Violent Femmes

boo

>Drake, Kanye West, Beyonce

Do you guys not like exploring music here?

I guess most people ITT are actually considering who and what people will actually remember from this decade in terms of cultural impact, not necessarily quality. People will remember Grimes and Death Grips thirty years from now, but they're only going to play Top 40 in all the period pieces. Kinda like how some people like Neu!, Wire, and other 70's bands, but all you hear is Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Disco, and maybe some obvious New Wave/Punk like the Ramones or Blondie.

Depends if you define artist of the decade as ''someone you think is an amazing musician'' or ''who are really popular and mainstream to be remembered'' I guss

>generic
Alright buddy, who else did her kind of music before her?

>inb4 spitting a list of random synthpop artists like a pleb

>Grimes is synthpop
So what? Are you allergic to synthpop? FYI her music is a fusion of synthpop and dreampop with IDM, R&B, J-pop and classical influences.

violent femmes suck desu, and titus andronicus is literally nothing like them

Abu Lahab is great. It's almost completely original, which is difficult to achieve at this point in music.

>

lol

pssssst* that's a burn

>Best one out of pure musical merit
>Most interesting
>Personal favorite
explain why these aren't the same thing

>This decade
>Beyonce

>

death grips have released 7 proper albums, an EP, a b-sides album and EP. they have a totally singular sound, and have paved new ground for hip hop and punk. not trying to argue an objective quality to their music, but they have completely dominated this decade for me.

Imo user you make an EXCELLENT point. We can all argue (and rightly so in many cases) for so-and-so artistically talented artist being the rightful "artist of the decade", but the truth of the matter is that it is all about whose music gets remembered as being representative of the eyes. So how do we determine that? Simple. Go watch movies filmed either during the 2010s or spied to take place then, and pay careful attention to whiChat artists' music gets used as background music.

* representative of the era.
Lol

E-LAH

THA BEST MEEEN

Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator, Death Grips, Grimes, maybe Drake idk

True, but Pat has said Violent Femmes self-titled is his favorite record.

Oneohtrix Point Never, Death Grips, and Danny Brown seem to be where the new sounds are

As far as the mixture of critical/commercial success Kendrick, but I never cared for him that much

>ctrl + f
>taylor swift
>0 results
Since when Sup Forums is such a pleb place?

for me

>Grimes
>Drake
>Vampire Weekend
>Kendrick
>Kanye
>Taylor Swift
>Arca

actually add Heems to that list

dean blunt is going to change the game.

Angel Olsen.

she's a vapid courtney barnett

i agree on purveyors of new sounds, but don't forget Arca

The singer who released this pop masterpiece

arcade fire.
pro tip: u cant

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard for me in rock although that's only because i fucking love them ahah. With another big release each Arctic Monkeys and Tame Impala could be up there too.
Kanye and Kendrick are on par I reckon in Hip Hop, and are probably leading the way for this decade really.

I don't think any artist has made more than one great album between 2010 and now. Death Grips is kind of close, but I think they're headed downhill.

The decade will be remembered for Beyoncé, Drake, and Kendrick on the popular side. Kanye will be remembered (correctly) for saving hip hop from 50 Cent in the 2000s and then losing his mind in the 2010s.
She's up there for me

Christopher

Since you entered the thread

>Kanye
>Beyoncé
>young thug
>Kendrick Lamar
>Beyonce
>Death Grips
>Death Grips
>Drake
>Kanye
>Kendrick Lamar
>Death Grips
>Titus Andronicus
>Drake, Kanye West or Beyonce
>Swans
>death grips
>Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator, Death Grips
>Kendrick
>Drake, Vampire Weekend, Kendrick, Kanye, Arca
>arcade fire.
>Kanye and Kendrick
>Death Grips, Kanye, Beyoncé, Drake, and Kendrick

Just, fucking, wow

Embarrassing to call myself a Sup Forumstant desu

Yup.

strawpoll.me/11872912
strawpoll.me/11872912

you're all wrong it's Hunter Hunt-Hendrix

he's up there

why do u actually give a fuck, this is such a bullshit question since its mostly subjective lmao

Graham Lambkin
Oneothrix Point Never

>why do you start music discussion threads on the music discussion board

try clarence clarity.

there actually isn't an most important artist of this decade. discuss

i vote for this guy

Yung Josh

Swans or Autechre.

Swans reinvented themselves this far into their career, creating music that's like a combo of their earlier stuff and krautrock/Tortoise style post-rock.

Autechre continues to push the envelope with each record. Their recent stuff is extremely dense and relatively tough to fully process, but definitely great stuff. Elseq is probably the most forward thinking record that has been released this decade. People will eventually get around to newer stuff by them in the coming years, maybe decades.

What did Grimes release that Scaruffi rated relatively well?

>that Scaruffi rated relatively well

who cares

You're just a Scaruffi drone. Stop. Think for yourself.

then who's your AOTD?

Kanye, Kendrick, Beyonce,. the list goes on

what is this cross between puffy and ye?

how can it be anyone but Kendrick Lamar?

My choice is Julia Holter

>robin thicke will be in future movies about the 2010s
I stumbled into the dark timeline, someone show me the way out please.

I fucking hate Drake, but pop-culturally he's the definitive artist of the decade. And stylistically I'd say the most influential as of now.

Kanye's a very close second and would be first were he not also extremely relevant in the previous decade.

Death Grips is probably the most important moving forward unless they're forgotten by the 20s, which I doubt they'll be. It's all about how they're looked upon retrospectively. I can see NLDW be regarded as a "game changer" and a cult classic, even if it's personally my least favorite release of theirs.

There's nothing special about Kendrick Lamar and frankly he's about a decade late in terms of making an impact on anything. But he's probably the only concept (hip-hop) artist anyone's going to give a shit about from this decade. Who else is there? J. Cole?

Young Thug has the potential to affect the mainstream in ways Death Grips never would have been able to (I'm not saying their styles are similar). I'd put him in the top 10 of the decade easily.

Overall the 10s were much more important for music than the noughties were. Even the pop music is better.

Death Grips, but it's a sign of how bad music has gotten that they're such an obvious winner. I love them but shit, the only thing that even comes close is Kanye. 3rd place - 10th is even harder to pick.

White people really shit the bed musically this decade (so far). The best white group right now is Radiohead, fr*cking 1990s Radiohead. Fuck. Where is today's Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Trent Reznor, or Shoegaze movement?

Not saying this shit as a "oh I have so much better taste than other people my age" arrogant tirade. I occasionally stumble upon great singles or individual albums released in the 2010s. But they are so few and far between. I feel like I live in a musical desert.

I can tell you lack critical thinking skills because those artists you greentexted are pretty much the only ones who can be considered anywhere near influential. I'm sure you can prove me wrong though, right?

Music hasn't gotten bad, it's just that after nearly a century of being commercial, originality's hard to come across in this industry.

And that's why people praise Death Grips and Young Thug so much.

not even the best das racist member

it's all about kool ad

Goolagoon, forsure. Inspired by Infest, Charles Bronson, etc, they kept the true moniker of hardcore while being modern as fuck.

Kanye, Drake, all them, they're manufactured by Hollywood. That's hardly definitive or pioneering. I know hardcore has been played out since the 1980's, but it's more of the fact that bands still preserve this genre that thrills me.

I agree with most of you, Death Grips would also be really high up on my list due to the fact that they were the negative 100 percent in hip-hop. It was a desperately needed game changer.

Fuck, I'm almost inclined to throw the band PEARS on this list. They're from a cultural mecca of the United States, New Orleans, LA, they're passionate and incredibly talented. Only been a band for two years and they've put out two albums, got signed to Fat Wreck Chords, played shows with Lagwagon, Strung Out, Leftover Crack, Days n' Daze.

Days n' Daze is a pretty good nomination. They pretty much invented a folk-punk sub-genre called Thrash Grass. They've toured the world for the first time this year and they've gained a massive following.

Death Grips is pretty much a white man's group spearheaded by a black man.

there is one answer and you all missed it

Caroline Shaw

You're forgetting about Grimes, which is white.

So far for me it's either Daniel Lopatin or Death Grips

bumperino

Blank Banshee