So I saw The Hobbit in theaters, and to this day I am still confused

So I saw The Hobbit in theaters, and to this day I am still confused.

When asked about the other wizards, he mentioned the 2 blue wizards.

Then says "I forgot their names"

The audience laughed, wholeheartedly, and I found it just really odd. It wasn't a joke and was just like the most autistic moment I've seen an audience have.

Why is it funny that Gandalf forgot their names?

Other urls found in this thread:

middle-earth.xenite.org/2012/04/24/is-pipe-weed-supposed-to-be-marijuana-or-tobacco/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lol gandalf is a forgetful old goof

Maybe it's a nod to the fact that Tolkien forgot about them too

Because the blue wizards aren't named in Lord of the Rings and the filmmakers didn't have the rights to the books where they ARE named, so they made a funny maymay about it.

Guys, what's the Halfling's Leaf? Remember in LOTR where Saruman says "Your love of the Halfings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind."

Is it DUDE WEED LMAO?

It's the pipe weed Gandalf is constantly smoking I think

>so they made a funny maymay about it.
Like in The Two Towers when Frodo and Sam are in Osgiliath and Sam says "by rights we shouldn't even be here!"

Yes but in The Hobbit+LOTR, "pipe-weed" IS Halfling's Leaf.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is the pipe-weed DUDE WEED LMAO?

King's Weed is tobacco that is argued that Halflings discovered, the argument is a dwarf also claims to have discovered it first, hence the name King's Weed, some dwarven king, but really it was Halflings that discovered it first.

And why not say it's like pot, it's got medicinal properties, which tobacco doesn't since it's a poison.

so

ya, it's like pot.

Nah it's some kind of tobacco

Was there a maymay about it, I saw it opening day, and the audiance laughed at this odd point...

in the books - tobacco
in lotr films - ambiguous, saruman says that but none of the characters seem affected by it
in the hobbit - 420 brah *airhorn* blaze it lmao

Explain?

But Saruman clearly says "Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind".

Tobacco is a stimulant (of sorts), so how would that make one's mind get "slowed"?

DUDE
Should I read the Simarillion if I want to find out about this or just the LOTR books

tobacco is a new world plant
cannabis is an old world plant

take a guess

>But Saruman clearly says "Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind".

He only says this in the movie, not in the books where pipeweed is explicitly tobacco.

Potatoes.

That Saruman line is just PJ being retarded. It's in the prologue of LOTR. Tolkien says it's a variant of Nicotiana.
See: middle-earth.xenite.org/2012/04/24/is-pipe-weed-supposed-to-be-marijuana-or-tobacco/

In short, it's not weed. It's some kind of tobacco

It was in the footnotes of my book, there was like a bit of a codex at the back of the book but I think King's Weed is an essential thing, since it's also what saves Bilbo's life. Since it had medicinal properties it's why it might not be seen as Tobacco like we know it... maybe a cross between the two...

I always took it to be saruman just being a jerk "stop watching tv it rots your brain" "don't use a cellphone it gives you cancer" kind of thing.

None of the characters appear to get high, until the hobbit trilogy where they cross their eyes like cartoon characters.

King's weed is not pipeweed, it's a totally different plant that Aragorn uses as a healing remedy.

No. I laughed about it because I know they aren't named and I saw it opening day. Though only me and my friend got the joke in my group.

I dunno when Bilbo and Gandalf are sitting there they seem pretty chill.

They don't go to Osgiliath in the books.

That's Kingsfoil your thinking off
>tfw you realize you're an autist for knowing that of the top of your head

This is why I ask if I should read the Simarillion or the LOTR books since I've only ever read The Hobbit.

Do you like incredibly long books? What about semi-finished books with little to no narrative?

Yeah, this. Hitler hated tobacco. Hitler bad. Saruman bad. Saruman hates tobacco.

>yes
>not as much

Have you ever smoked a pipe full of high quality tobacco? It's chill as fuck.

Try LotR then. Silmarilion is more of an anthology of unrelated stories, it's not even meant to be taken too literally since it's effectively the "Elvish Bible", intentionally biased and from a non-authorial pov.

You reach turbo autist if you can tell me its other name with correct spelling

Who are the 2 bLUE wizRDS?

>Athelas, the she-elf uses it on handsome-dwarf in The Hobbit
;_;

Technically that's true of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit as well.

Pallando and Alatair, they went into the east and played no part in the events of Lord of the Rings.

Ok, thanks m8

See

True, but the in-setting authors of "the Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" (Bilbo and Frodo, respectively) not only lived thru the events they wrote about, they also tried to be as objective as possible. The stories of the Silmarillion are often "interpretations" or outright "poetic license", they make no effort to be objectively "true" or to relate events as they actually happened.

Yes this is why I was ax'ing about the books

Alatar and Pallando are the Blue wizards. They're briefly mentioned in the book of lost tales by tolkien

shit I never got that

that's pretty funny

>turbo autist
>for knowing something talked about in one of the most famous book trilogies in existence
dude, I can spell Barad-dûr, I'm such a nerd lol

No you're not

Oh. My mistake.

asëa aranion

Writings of Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and the others were put together by unrelated scribes when a copy was made for the library of Minas Tirith, and there's presumably some historical distance between that and the material Tolkien 'translated' his books from. They were the equivalent of Venerable Bede serving as a source for a XIX century chronicler in Russia.

>lotr films - ambiguous, saruman says that but none of the characters seem affected by it
>he's never seen the extended version

Pleb detected. If you watch the extended scenes with Merry and Pippin it's 100% obvious it's a weed reference. They even get the munchies and discuss eating a shitload of elven bread, which couldve lasted them for literally weeks, in 1 sitting.

select images: grass. Kek.

Hobbits love food in general, though. They don't need weed to get the munchies. Also, when was that scene?

These movies are kinda growing on me as time goes by. Nowhere near as good as LotR though

The Extended Editions are pretty good, not memeing

In the extended version of the lotr films it's obvious that it's definitely a weed-reference. Merry and pippin even get the munchies from it.

I just posted something similar 5 minutes ago but it somehow got removed?

Nvm my PC is sperging.

The scene where they talk about the munchies is in the beginning of the second movie I think and a scene with them smoking the weedgrass and raiding sarumans food storage room (where it's really obvious) is after the fall of isengard.