Almost half of the albums on Pitchfork's Best Albums of 2016 list are by black people...

Almost half of the albums on Pitchfork's Best Albums of 2016 list are by black people. Is there really an agenda being pushed or are black people just making better music than everyone else nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

billboard.com/charts/streaming-songs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good idea for a thread. Definitely hasn't been discussed much here at all.

I think what he meant to say is black people have struggled in this country and have developed the arts considerably because of the pain

affirmative action

Ohh okay, good. I thought he was trying to make a thread about race or something.

Their picks are almost an exact reflection of the Billboard top streaming chart, minus the "uncool" pop artists like Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, Bieber etc.

billboard.com/charts/streaming-songs

Given that they are trying to appeal to millenials who overwhelmingly prefer streaming, this makes perfect buisiness sense. It really isn't a conspiracy.

Having struggles in life deals you better emotional fodder used to create good music. This is why blacks and gays are creating more interesting music on average than the indie shit straight white people who are living in comfort are farting out.

Here's the real answer, OP:

Race doesn't matter.

You only think it matters because it's forced onto you by the media and by people online who get easily offended by the media.

Oh and Pitchfork's opinions don't matter either.

>Implying that pitchfork decides what music is good and what music is bad.

Jews are just making sure they're in the limelight by using proven techniques they used to use when writing white artists' music in the past. Instead of perverting white culture like they used to, they just decided at some point to slowly replace white culture with black culture, so that the youth would copy them, look up to them, etc. instead of white people. Black people as a whole aren't of interest to elite jews, they're just pawns in the game of wiping out their mortal enemy the white man. Replacing culture is just the first step in replacing the people (via culturally accepted race mixing).

>Are black people just making better music than everyone else nowadays?

Yes
>/thread

pitchfork used to influence taste, you're telling me it's fine that they just collect clicks by praising music that monkeys dance to in their twitter videos now?

Their culture encourages partaking in the type of music that is prevalent in the modern mainstream. If and when the mainstream genres become anything else than they are now, a perceived musical dominance of blacks will also shift away

They haven't been like this since 2007 at the latest. You just think so because you've only begn taking music seriously in the last few years and pitchfork was your gateway to "good" music.

Name one rap album by a black person released this year that doesn't have the word 'nigger' in the lyrics.

Just curious if there is one.

you're telling me chillwave, witch house, vaporwave memes weren't heavily pushed by pitchfork? i don't think you can deny they've given up the act of being anything more than followers, even if their old schtick was pushing the next blogger FOTM.

I hate rap but does that matter? That's like saying name one metal song with the world Skull in it...

My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours

No, it's more like saying name one metal song without the word 'the' in it

>are black people just making better music than everyone else nowadays?
yes
they are

White people just aren't making relevant music, people bitch about politics being the reason why these albums are more praised but music has long been tied to politics

this.

Black people made jazz, rock and roll, hip-hop, R&B, black people are the innovators and white people just ride on the coattails of their creations

more like the (((media))) is making blackness the only relevant thing, not the other way around.

/thread

>White people just aren't making relevant music
Why is that? What is it about black music that's it's monopolizing the popular culture? What is "relevant"?

These aren't rhetorical I actually am curious what you'll say

Did people actually think blonde was better than AMSP?
Huh?

Issues of race are becoming more and more relevant, especially since America elected a fascist who wants to expend stop and frisk and other programs that disproportionately affect black people, white Americans just don't have that much interesting or relevant to sing about right now.

I loved so many rock albums this year! Just kidding lol

>disproportionatly affect black people

Maybe you guys shouldn't do illegal stuff more than white people.

white people made the best genre, emo

Black people are responsible for the majority of popular music in general. Blues, jazz, rock n roll, funk, soul, hip-hop, all that electronic stuff from the 80s-early 2000s...pretty much all white popular music is heavily influenced by/derived from/blatantly ripping off the foundations and innovations that blacks made, and that's just historical fact.

also please note I am talking about popular music, not art/classical music.

Well the gigantic majority of everything metal.
Skull is really uncommon, it's hard to place correctly in a song.

None of the albums on that list were released after the election or in response to it.

Plus, even if your narrative explained deliberate response albums like Kendrick Lamar, Solange, ATCQ, etc, it doesn't explain the prevalance of pop rap. What does Young Thug, Drake, DJ Khaled, whoever else is on the radio right now have to do with that explanation?

Ipmlying art music isnt a made up term to look better

the main reason for stop and frisk is to target black men for possession of marijuana and studies have frequently shown that white people consume marijuana as much as black people, black people are just targeted more due largely to stereotypes

quick correction, albums intended as deliberate responses to racial issues like Kendrick, etc.

Yeah pretty much. It's a buisiness, they can publish whatever the fuck they think will generate revenue.

That's why it's always great to see white nationalist/supremacist rock/metal/punk bands springing up. The origins of most forms of popular music literally originated with black people.

There's no agenda at all. They may bring up "social themes" in reviews and crap, but that's just the reviewer's opinion, and no one even reads the reviews desu. The more accurate answer, the one that comes from decisions made from the people more in charge, is that P4K simply just changed tastes to get more views. They were losing audiences by mostly focusing on indie rock. The classic 90s/2000s hipster was a dying breed. What do you do when you start to lose your audience? You branch out, and embrace more popular styles. Whether you like it or not, black genres like rap and R&B are extremely popular, and P4K is making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from it.

The hip-hop subculture is the only relevant subculture currently and the only one where people are actually developing their own identities, and there are no relevant white artists involved in it. Really, can you think of any rock/punk/metal/techno/EDM artists the past few years that weren't just aping established artists/established artists riding on their legacy? Kanye, Kendrick, Danny Brown and Frank Ocean are going to be the only artists remembered from this time - all the notable rock artists are just generic radio rock or characterless tumblr A E S T H E T I Ccore like Iceage and HaNL.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music

>Kanye, Kendrick, Danny Brown and Frank Ocean are going to be the only artists remembered from this time
Don't forget Janelle Monae and Miguel.

>white people just ride on the coattails of their creations
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST MY SIDES

A majority of the population doing something as much as a minority of the population does not help your point. You cannot tell me that upon walking into a majority white community that there would be exactly as many people using and selling drugs as there are in mexican and black communities
>inb4 b-but we can't get jobs cause we're too stupid to learn skills

they look more like rolls to me

>The hip-hop subculture is the only relevant subculture currently and the only one where people are actually developing their own identities
Why is this? Who decides what's relevant? Why aren't white artists developing their own identities?

i'm glad words like fascist and nazi have no meaning now.

right. they can do it. but that doesn't make it good. they are clearly not interested in performing the same function that they used to.

did I say nazi?
Trump is an actual fascist, I didn't say nazi

>A majority of the population doing something as much as a minority of the population does not help your point.
They consume marijuana at the same rate, meaning that the PERCENTAGE of young white males in New York that use marijuana is around the same as black males but black males are targeted far more by police

no he isn't.

The people who are pissmoaning about the p4k list still haven't provided a list of popular but cool albums which would have made more sense. P4k is a buisiness. They wont survive if their top 100 is mostly post theoretical ambient core or whatever the fuck some of you are listening to.

have you read Mussolini's doctrine of fascism? it's pretty short, check it out
if you still think he''s a fascist after that then idk what to say man

>The hip-hop subculture

Are you 80?

White people can't make hip-hop without being total cringe, and hip-hop is the only relevant genre.

Genres like rock, punk, metal etc. where white people have an easier time fitting into are dominated by big names from the past who refuse to retire and make room for the next generation. And EDM/techno/etc. have next to no real relevance, they'll always be around but they'll never define the mainstream culture or notable counterculture of the time.

EDM is huge right now what are you talking about

I actually want to know why these albums, this type of music, IS so popular as to monopolize music culture right now, though. Is it just an accident of history? Is there some reason that hip-hop/R&B in particular would be pushed so hard?

p4k is great for finding albums to play while i prep the bull for my wife. fuck white people, it's the least we can do to try to make up for centuries of oppresion

What else would you call the combined subculture of traditional hip-hop, the heavily produced and fashionable world of Frank Ocean and Kanye West, and the underground industrial stuff like Death Grips and Dalek?

It's not the same, though. EDM artists are a dime a dozen, nobody really gets a chance to develop and nobody remembers last year's club hits. Most people see it as nothing more than background noise for dancing; nobody gets caught up in celebrity idols or underground heroes like other genres do.

If you have barely listened to any music sure

- Trump openly calls for the U.S to commit war crimes and advocates for the murder of innocent women and children.
-Trump doubles down after veterans speak out claiming U.S soldiers would not commit war crimes or torture children even if ordered to. Trump responds with, “They’re not going to refuse me. If I say do it, they’re going to do it.“
-Trump on torture: “Even if it doesn’t work they probably deserved it anyway.”
-Trump renews calls for torture citing public executions and mass rape committed by ISIS promising for the U.S to do the same, “fighting fire with fire.”
-Trump says Geneva Conventions a problem and needs to be changed since, US soldiers are to afraid to do their job due to laws which outline the definition of war crimes.
-Trump calls for a global nuclear rearmament.
-Anne Frank's sister (now 86 years old) says that Trump reminds her of Hitler.
-Trump picks famed Neo-Nazi White Supremacist Leader as Delegate.
-Trump's unconstitutional muslim identification plan, he said muslims may have to wear IDs like jews in nazi germany
-Trump is launching state-sponsored Trump news, like NK
etc

>nobody gets caught up in celebrity idols

what about Skrillex or deadmau5?

emo stems from punk which stems from rock which was created by black people

forgot to mention that the trump camp has been citing Japanese internment camps as precedent for what they want to do to undocumented immigrants

I know what you're saying, what I'm saying is that if we are doing it at the same rate, than your population is doing it FAR more, because for a minority population to do something as much as a majority population, there has to be a disproportionate concentration of whatever the thing is in the minority population. So per person, more people are doing illegal drugs in the black community, which is why they have the reputation that they do.

The major difference between black and white music is that black artists are almost entirely focused on hip hop/r&b where as white artists are fragmented across an infine number of tiny sub genres and sub cultures. This fragmentention makes it impossible for any one type of white music to reach the cultural critical mass necessary to be relevant. As a result of this, the only white artists which anyone bothers to focus on are older "classic" artists and preteen pop artists.

So little of this is true or relevant that it doesn't merit an actual response

white people are literally cringe and blacks are all brave, oppressed geniuses with a rich culture, they literally invented music and does anyone want to see my kanye meme i made or my new death grips (very underground, you probably never heard of them) shirt i bought

Pitchfork at their peak had the power to make a musician famous just by giving them a good score.

At first they didn't realize it.

Then they had fun with it, trying to change the direction of music by creating fads.

Now they're fucking scared of it. Some music industry nobs got angry at them and now they won't praise anything that isn't safe.

Now they just parse what's already popular and pick favourites

It's fine to give black artists their due but hip-hop and r&b was not the focus of pitchfork at the turn of the last decade, it wasn't the focus of pitchfork before that when they mattered the most, and it wasn't the focus of pitchfork when they first started, so it's kinda bogus

those are all either false or stupid or have nothing to do with fascism. anyone who kills innocents and commits war crimes is a fascist now? so literally every US president in history?

>le everything negative about trump is propaganda even if it comes straight from him

>doesn't merit an actual response
nice excuse for not having one

i dont think you understand what "whites and blacks consume marijuana at the same rate" means

Nah. Even EDM mega stars have a shelf life of like 5 years tops. Kanye has been relevant for about 15 years now, and he's still famous enough to shut down the news by meeting with the president elect. No one in EDM has ever come even remotely close to that level of fame.

I'm not a rapper

I wrote a whole thing out but deleted it since I was repeating myself so much. Let me boil it down to:

1. Lol check your fucking sources, where are you getting half this shit
2. "War crimes" are a meme
3. Muslims deserve much worse than ID badges but I'd be content to just ban them from the country
4. Let me throw in a (You) and an Oyyyy Veyyy for good measure

The difference is the US has reasons, even if they're reasons that are invented for convenience's sake, for their actions which extend farther than "we'll do this because it's most convenient" and "people in power deserve to do whatever they want". That's what makes fascism fascism: fascism's only goal is self-preservation and fascists openly celebrate the act of self-preservation

>>I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man - he made a good decision.

thanks for admitting that you're not even trying

weak bait

is this bait?

>They think I'm not serious

I agree that they definitely wont praise things as on a whim like they used to in the old days.

I also feel like R&B/Pop today is a beast they helped create. They've always traditionally loaded their year end lists with novelty pop singles and they let their coverage of it get bigger each year.

The poptimist column they started back in 07 also had a heavy hand in where pitchfork is today.

fedora

right, and trump's case is fighting terrorism/isis, aka the same excuse 2 presidents have been using for 15 years.

>White people can't make hip-hop without being total cringe
nigga this is not true. There aren't a lot of them but there are a few

>I also feel like R&B/Pop today is a beast they helped create.
Frankly they knew their power to shape the taste of hip white kids (proven by the 1996-2010 or whatever reader's poll that lined up eerily well with their own scores and decade lists) they cultivated it and they used it to sell pop, hip-hop and R&B music and culture to an entire demographic that would have otherwise rejected it. Intentionally or not, for good or for evil, you decide.

>mfw liberals are going to be lined up and shot

>so literally every US president in history?
yes

again, the original point was that the word fascist has no meaning. and if every president in history was a fascist, that holds true.

they didn't make white people listen to beyonce or chance the rapper or kendrick lamar though. it might be true for like danny brown and the weeknd several years ago, but at this point they're just jumping on what's already popular.

I was being somewhat facetious. Fascism and the original nazis were right-wing war mongering capitalists, and the government of the modern United State often resembles fascists. That's why the US takes active steps towards correcting their image. For example the unspoken reason (on a State level, it is spoken in the media) that the last two presidents aggressively fought terrorism is that the US created a lot of those terrorists through their actions in the first place. This means by fighting terrorism they are showing accountability for their past decisions. The US want to be the "heroes" of not only their own narrative but a shared narrative around the world. They're kind of bad at this, Bush Jr was especially bad at this, but that's the idea. Fascists don't give one single fuck about any of this, and Trump doesn't give one single fuck about any of this

>its a "non-US citizen highschooler who read the Communists Manifesto and feels that his political opinion is fleshed out and valid enough to post on a music forum" thread

i don't really think atoning or improving our image has anything to do with it desu. you think drone striking muslim countries to "fight terrorism" isn't creating more terrorists? i think it's pretty much 100% about oil and money. the whole concept of attacking terrorism is kind of retarded to begin with, something that was common knowledge among libs 10 years ago but somehow forgotten under obama.

if anything i think trump has the naive approach where he actually believes our goal is to fight isis and that's why the establishment is scared shitless of him, but kind of funny how they can't explicitly say how fighting isis isn't the actual goal, so it makes the whole dialogue pretty nonsensical.