Is it ever acceptable to listen to recorded music outside of the studio album...

Is it ever acceptable to listen to recorded music outside of the studio album? Like listen to compilations or singles/EPs?

What? Of course. Why wouldn't it be?

If an artist has a big-ass discography and you need a quick way to get into their stuff, yes.

What about a various artist compilation?

NO

IT IS ILLEGA

YOU ARE GOING TO THE JAIL

also if the artist is jazz or pop classically, because jazz artists tend to create songs, and then create an idea from a set of the songs randomly that can shift from show to show, they were mainly a live thing and albums were just recordings of one live session, whereas pop artists are classically making singles, not albums.

yes

serious question here

what do you think is going to happen if someone catches you listening to a single outside of the album? do you think there's such thing as "music police"?

If the songs on the singles/EPs aren't on the studio albums, or the single/EP version is different than the album version, why wouldn't you?

not to mention there are genres where there is no studio album to accompany the singles and EPs.

HALT PLEB

YOU'RE IN VIOLATION OF THE NO SINGLES POLICY

ALL MUSIC MUST BE ABSORBED AS ALBUMS OR EPS OR IN THE FORM OF CAREFULLY CURATED DJ MIXES

I've never gotten one.

Excellent point. I've heard great things about the 'Essencial Herbie Hancock' collection.

My autistic tendencies are that albums and EPs are the main content and I don't really seek or enjoy listening to singles or compilations. Partly it's because I don't like having duplicates.

I still don't get your point, what do you mean by "acceptable"? Why would listening to an EP be wrong?

Because it's not a full studio album. But obviously there's nothing wrong with that.

Kind of depends how the artist/band treats the different formats. Some artists have EPs that match their albums in quality and some use EPs as a dumping ground for their crappy output.

Compilations are only acceptable if they have songs/mixes not featured on a studio album.

Singles or EPs are fine.

Examples?

Fuck this board and its rockist mindset holy shit

Those can be great, particularly those put together by a label or a musician/DJ with good taste.

Good examples include:
>Psychemagik Presents...
>Brownswood Bubblers
>Late Night Tales

Good luck listening to The Smiths if it's not

yeah, VA compilations of electronic/dance music are usually pretty good.

Soul Jazz Records is another one that covers the whole spectrum of black music.

An album is just a collection of music that's like more than half an hour long. Sometimes it's just a bunch of songs that happened to be recorded around the same time, sometimes these songs have some consistent aesthetic to them, sometimes the songs form a narrative that is best appreciated when listened to in order, sometimes the artist might make it clear that they intended the album to be listened to in full and all sorts of things.

None of this fucking matters to how you decide to listen to the music you have access to? Is there a particular song that you really like but it's like half way through a concept album? Just listen to it, you don't need to be a slave to artist intentions, how you enjoy music is your business and nobody else's.

BURN THE NONCONFORMIST

>Soul Jazz Records
I just needed to hear that name to know that sounds right up my alley, cheers mate.

I've never once encountered anyone with this opinion

like this isn't an issue at all

>rockist
haven't heard that one before, are you a rapist?