The BEST Blues Guitarist

Prove me wrong Sup Forums.
In terms of objective skill there is no better blues guitarist than him.
>extremely good tone
>can play ridiculously fast yet be incredibly melodic
>uses classical finger picking techniques as well as a plectrum
>the only thing he isn't that amazing at in terms of blues guitar is slide.

Inb4. That's not what the blues is about, it's about emotion and feeling! He's also extremely good and simple and heartfelt guitar solos.

Post a more impressive example of blues guitar playing with extreme technical skill than this.

youtube.com/watch?v=DDOIL5OqvYs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qDb9W4I1ck
youtube.com/watch?v=ZayTpvm0Yho
youtu.be/x4KmbUCwkyE
youtu.be/1-Taae2zLfA
youtube.com/watch?v=LxU-HWy2tSY
youtube.com/watch?v=aQZnOIxCspA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

does it have to be someone who plays the genre blues or can it be a guitarist that is sad

It's got to be someone playing the blues.

led zeppelin

I haven't heard Jimmy page play anything at that level of technical ability.

White guys playing the blues is not always good. This guy is clearly very technically gifted, but that doesn't make for good blues music. He plays too fast in the pocket, you can shred as a blues player, but you have to be behind the beat, like you're struggling to get out the notes from the guitar. That struggle is what separates a good blues player from a great one. It's why another white guy, SRV, does blues better than this guy. If you're going to do the effortless blues thing, it has to be liquidy and buttery like Hendrix. This is too academic.

why do you say that is HAS to be
what about math blues

I'd say he's better than SRV, AND Hendrix.
This is exactly what I expected. He's too fast, and technical.

Well here's him off a recording.
youtube.com/watch?v=0qDb9W4I1ck

His stuff is indeed way too technical and fast. As you've stated on your OP >inb4, the blues is about emotion and feeling this is the main reason why people take SRV, Hendrix and perhaps even Clapton as the best of the best.

Or I probably just don't think this kind of playing is my cup of tea, I still prefer SRVs.

You just heard "Afterhours" didn't you? How was that too fast?

how do i play like him

Pretty much any acoustic blues guitarist shits all over this rockist crap.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZayTpvm0Yho

why do whites have to complicate and make black music corny

>be poor black musician
>create music that is soulful and expressive
>white guys come along to wank over derivative melodies
>look how great i am

every time

>be white
>invent melody and harmony, build beautiful stringed instruments based on sacred mathematics
>some nigger comes and plucks 3 strings on an untuned guitar while moaning about his fat wife and eating beans and grits
>10/10 AOTY step aside whitey

dude three chords lmao

>be black american
>have own music tradition from africa
>get instrument
>start playing around, borrow from own tradition
>decades later a gay pedo on a cantonese child exchange forum makes claims about your unoriginality

honestly the sound of the three-chord blues shuffle is one of my least favourite sounds in music. it's like the dadrock equivalent of a generic trap beat.

yeah, definitely one of the shittiest genres around for that reason.

Not particularly impressed OP.

Ry Cooder
youtu.be/x4KmbUCwkyE

Junior Kimbrough
youtu.be/1-Taae2zLfA

concentrate on flesh harmonics, learn Rasgueado, learn classical finger picking techniques like classical way of playing tremolo, also develop speed, and most importantly "make every note count".

His style is a combination of elite tone, and elite technique
fuck off tumblr.
I think this song isn't an example of his most melodic and beautiful. I think naming the blues after himself was corny, but the playings amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=LxU-HWy2tSY

You can't discredit that.
i'll check those out.

Watched both videos. I'll explain why Buchanan's more impressive.

1st Roy Cooders video.
I'd say Cooder is a better slide player than Buchanan but I've rarely seen Buchanan play slide. Here's one example of him playing it.
youtube.com/watch?v=aQZnOIxCspA

Now in Cooders case, his playing isn't extreme technical skill. It is a very good song nontheless.

This thread isn't to argue about soulfulness or the quality of the song it's about arguing the skill of the guitarist.

Now Junior Kimbrough wasn't very impressive at all, he has all you need though to be a good blues musician. He played very simple licks with soul and emotion and improvised well. In terms of technique it was nothing too amazing.

Correct, anyone who disagrees is a moron who doesn't understand Blues music

>anyone who disagrees is a moron who doesn't understand Blues music
I thoroughly disagree and have played blues for 5 years now.

Fuck that cultural appropriation argument

THE BEST

post examples please

I don't know man, that era of Blues artists from the early to mid 20th century pretty much defines the genre itself, if you think that kind of ragged or classically incorrect playing is bad or undesirable in any sense, can you really call yourself a fan of that music?

I'm a fan of folk blues also so I dont know where your assumption came from.

>Correct, anyone who disagrees is a moron who doesn't understand Blues music

real Blues are a feeling not a "genre". Humans are different and feel things differently...dudes like Roy got their own vibe and you either like it or you dont but its not any less authentic or valid because its a dorky looking white guy.