/prod/ - Music Production

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs onclyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

(Obligatory mixing course)
The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

KVR Audio Forum
kvraudio.com/

Link to the /prod/ sticky if you have something constructive to contribute
docs.google.com/document/d/1fhi1lp-DpAZieQa5cpe5v9zCBS02VDa18ln80Rd_6N0/edit

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ohg35nlo
clyp.it/j0o3bsnu
clyp.it/kwrsh2iy
clyp.it/qlwl2pvh
clyp.it/eowcwam2
clyp.it/k3py51gt
clyp.it/eg1fahtt
clyp.it/kpos54jo
clyp.it/2m0immix
clyp.it/cbqrxh0o
clyp.it/v2wxluf3
djworx.com/ccount/click.php?id=12
soundcloud.com/daremr/sets/sultana-full-beat-tape
instaud.io/AqB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just got some new drum mics and an audio interface yesterday, haven't had much time with them but I recorded this test thing. Sorry for the lame guitar playing ha.

clyp.it/ohg35nlo

if anyone cares

SM57 on snare, AKG D112 on kick, 2 Samson C02s as overheads into a Steinberg UR44

Sounds decent for $300...

clyp.it/j0o3bsnu

avoiding my problems (finals week) by producing. What do you guys think?

clyp.it/kwrsh2iy

Kinda just broke out of a producer's block

clyp.it/qlwl2pvh

Kinda going for a more industrial sound, but not all the way to Reznor-style, just kinda emotional.
idk.
Should I just trash it?

>Steinberg UR44
how is the basic fx suite that comes with this

Does anyone else procrastinate studying or doing something to make music, only to later on find out its shit?

Anyway, hows this?
clyp.it/eowcwam2

shit was dope until like 0:50. its like you need to split that up into two different songs. IMO the tones were clashing.
Also, were you using deadmau5 xfer samples, I could have sworn I've heard them before!

>deadmau5 xfer samples
definitely not I sample Youtube and CDs

clyp.it/k3py51gt

Fresh meme

is there a midi controller that's just standalone pitch/mod wheels that aren't attached to a keyboard? i could've sworn i saw one at some point in the past

I need your help. I am looking to torrent/purchase music editing/recording software, I have a PC laptop and have only ever used audacity to record my music. What is a good entry level program?

ableton and fl are the most popular, bitwig is kind of like ableton, there's also logic if you have a mac. then there's obscure stuff for weirdos like reason and renoise

Garage band

try out different software and choose which one suits you the best

>relevant

cubase should be a jew instead

>no pro tools

woah dood, you're so irreverent! look at the way in which you are contradicting social norms with regards to race! it is causing me to not be able to even at this time!

dumb fag i am a jew and everyone i know in israel uses cubase

was telling those lies easier than admitting that you're a hack?

stay mad goy

>no reaper

this is real fucking nice
kind of reminds me of boards of canada

clyp.it/eg1fahtt
just fuck my shit up

From my experience (I've met a lot of producers and worked in the industry for 10+ years)
Swap ableton users with cubase.

Add protools and have a picture of a professional recording studio with successful producers

Exchange the Logic Pro user for someone who works full time scoring films professionally, has a BA in composition, massive jazz trumpet chops, a grand piano in his living room and a really nice house with sound-proofed windows so he can record his jazz trumpet and use it on film scores. Oh and give him a bunch of terabyte HDDs under the desk.
This is based on an actual guy I know.

Exchange the 100% hardware guy for pic related

Hey guys, I'm running a cracked version of Live 8 suite (got it back when I didn't know if I was gonna keep doing this). Also have Live 9 trial. I have no latency on Live 8 but I do on Live 9. Any ideas?

Chop up that break beat, you can't just leave it as it is.

Like this

clyp.it/kpos54jo

FL studio from what I heard

How do I get a voice effect similar to the vocals from Kid A (the song)?

Reaper or Fl Studio
Just looking for something with ease of use but more complexity than Audacity.

>That feel when you finally find the right configuration of hardware and software all set up and ready to create

Took me so fucking long to figure out the best setup, what about you guys?

First time posting here,
I'm working on this sudden burst of inspiration
clyp.it/2m0immix

However I can't seem to get a good hook or drop. Any ideas?

>tfw no one uses sonar
I fell hard for steam deals memes

Use an alternate and simplified chord progression and build the hook hook off of it.
Depending on genre simplify or make the drum patterns complex

>tfw piano lessons for 11 years at a podunk country music store
>want to make good music

Is this impossible, bros?

Ableton is great but I'm pretty satisfied and comfortable with do studio 11. 12 is better though.
Can't say much about reaper but I've heard good things.

What genre are you looking to make. Avicii made millions off of rehashing folk as big room.

I'd like to make some minimalist IDM or breakcore type stuff, maybe try to make some complex pieces if I can. I'd love to make a living out of it one day, but if it means selling out then I'll settle for making less. I just fear I've been insufficiently trained to be able to compose/produce music on the appropriate level.

>11 years of training
>insufficient training

Mate I have never had piano training to begin with and I'm slowly getting better every day.

No worries

Fl*You can learn how to produce pretty fast for cheap nowadays. By now you shouldn't be sweating switching up scales to get the sound you want.

This too. Never had any musical training before.jumping into producing. You can learn along the way, fl studio tutoriala basically taught me.

Well yeah, but the music theory that we covered wasn't exactly in depth. I can get by, I guess. If someone put sheet music in front of me I could probably play it with a few days' practice, but you know. I'm just unsure.

I also haven't had any music theory exept for the basics, Just jump in and experiment around in your chosen DAW. check some tutorials and maybe read some musical theory.

There is never no time to learn.

Start with remixes

Sounds like some gay faggot trying to sound like Pink Floyd, then a pointless drum solo at the end. Nice job man I like it.

Ignore

Just start with a DAW, instrumental ability isn't needed to work in a DAW anyway. I just type in notes, for example. But a simple MIDI keyboard would serve compositional purposes, and if you want to do IDM, there's a lot more to do than just composition.

You guys are all fuckin nerds tweaking knobs rather than real musicians. That's why no one will ever listen to your music, it is interesting from a technical production sense, but it has no relevance to anyone else.

I'm not saying you can't be a real musician making 100% digital music, just that you guys aren't. You are like the dude who spends 12 hours a day practicing guitar and after all that can only play ridiculous runs of robotic sounding arpeggios, not anyone could do it but no one gives a shit because it is masturbation not music.

ELEKTRON user ADDICT

does anyone know why the io patch for ableton wouldn't work? The dialogue box for authorization opens.
The person having this issue (definitely not me) is using windows.

I found a lot of interesting PDFs which I downloaded on Bookos Z1 concerning electronic music and synthesis. If this thread isn't archived I share it with you when I escape from my job duties

This. He's talking about those cunts who can't even produce a full song. Nobody wants to listen to 8 bar loops so stop posting them on /prod/.

Like the bassline and the atmosphere! Maybe try to vary the drums a bit more other than the fills

>160 bass music bizness
clyp.it/cbqrxh0o

Reaper is homeless guy

I feel like something like this should be the Ableton image, 90% of the Live users I know are laptop DJ's

More like Richard stallman in a fedora

brehs what do you think, should the third part (from 2.49 onward) be longer or do you get sick of it really quickly? I kinda dig it but it's hard to be objective

FL or Ableton

Could anyone recommend an good analog synth? I've looked at a couple I'm just torn what to get really? It'd has to be within the 100 to 200$ range of possible

I don't know any gear that is analog at that price besides the korg volcas

>does anyone know why the io patch for ableton wouldn't work?
probably because you did it wrong

>merzbow is a "laptop dj"
wat

There's not many analog synth options under $1000.

Korg Volcas (~$150)
Arturia Microbrute ($270)
Korg Monologue ($300)
Korg MS-20 Mini ($450)
Korg Minilogue ($500)
ARP Odyssey ($550)
Moog Sub Phatty ($789)
DSI Prophet 08 ($1000-$1300)

Your only option under $200 would be one of the Volcas. I would recommend coughing up some more money and either getting the new Monologue or a Microbrute (they are mono only, though). The only affordable analog poly synth under $1000 is the Minilogue, which is $500.

1/10

It came out wrong. I don't mean merzbow is a laptop DJ but he looks like one

Hmm, Alright. I was actually considering the Microbrute but I also found the korg taktile 25 which doesn't look too bad. I think the only problem for me with the microbrute is that it seems a little bit extravagant for me. Knowing me though I'll probably sperg out to get the microbrute

kek i think that doing a change like that to something totally different sounding halfway through is actually quite good. just try to go back to the beginning sound after that to give it a sense of conclusion.

MicroBrute or 2 volcas seems like your only sensible option in that price range.

yeah theory isnt really needed. you can learn bits of theory as you go, thats probably the best way to do it. if you try learning theory before you start writing songs you dont know how to actually apply the theory, or your music is too much into the theory. if you learn the theory as you make songs you can apply it and use it to better your music.

kek if you have fun doing it who cares? maybe people arent trying to be musicians and are just trying to have a good time.

if you are a real musician then why are you wasting your time amongst us commoners who arent musicians and are just fucking around

Here's the picture for Reaper

i recommend housing, drugs, and learning how to make digital stuff sound like analogue

because digital is the future and you can make anything you could with analogue in digital if youre good enough with the toolset

Why are you replying to a 6 hour old comment?

>no max/msp

Sounds dull and lifeless.

If you want a good drum sound, get better mics.

Guys please help me.

I made this clyp.it/v2wxluf3

Do you guys experience bass saturation in the intro? I only encountered this problem in my car but it worries me.

Also, can someone tell me what fucking genre of music it is? I would have say Drum & Bass but I'm not sure, I have no clue.

oh god lol i forgot about this guy

if you mean the distortion components in the bass then yes, these are obvious but nice sounding IMO
yeah, it's pretty drum&bass-y, I get a tad of neurofunk vibes sometimes

kek

>Komplete 9 torrent is over 250gb
Good god, I'm actually going to have to clear out some space for this shit.

komplete 11 ultimate is 370gb or some shit like that
I put it on it's own external drive because fuck that shit

it says its over 300 but some of the libraries are compressed and installed will take 250 only

Have a break coming up, love me some vaporwave. Am familiar with LMMS and audacity, how do you go about making some vaporwave

Samples, filters, any tips would be gr8

Can we talk about gear for a little bit? I got a Maschine Mk 2 I'm trying to program with shortcuts (save, copy paste, undo) in FL to no avail. The documentation for the Controller Editor is pretty shit, so I've resorted to Frankensteining templates I've found online. If anyone actually knows what they're doing, some help would be appreciated.

Aside from that, I'd like to see what kinda gear people here are using.

where would LMMS fit in there? Cause I use LMMS

It would be an unwashed freetard with a Stallman tier neckbeard

After going through the trouble of buying hardware over the past three years I just use software as its the most streamlined way to do things. Ableton, Serum, and drum racks are mostly what I use.

Fuck off cunt. If you pirate paid audio production software then your no better. LMMS was first software I used for audio production and I like it asswipe. Also don't act like a smug asshole if you paid for and use expensive audio software but produce garbage.

As long as I can get things sounding modern, or things helping the old sounds to sound modern, it enters my setup.

Each thing I do I still learn and try new stuff, my real setup might come in few years.

>don't want a small controller keyboard with shitty keys
>don't want to sacrifice tons of desk space
it took me way to long to come up with this

free xpand2 until january 4 requires software ilok

djworx.com/ccount/click.php?id=12

soundcloud.com/daremr/sets/sultana-full-beat-tape

Rate a brother over here, may be a cheap production but still wanna know if it is good production.

Do not post soundcloud here. Fuck off.

instaud.io/AqB
The last one I made in order to break my musical doing-nothing spree.

I can only hear the clipping from the perc. Aside from that, nice sounding drums, maybe a little more space and you are done.

Yeah that's all good, a lot of people are very pretentious about it though I guess that's my issue.
Like just before I posted I came from listening to some faggot 14 year old currynigger who was making awful generic EDM, but there were a few things about it that were pretty sick like a couple big supersaws and cool melodies that caught my interest a bit, basically there was more good in this retarded 14 year old's music than anything I hear from all these pretentious 20something white college dudes who are autismally obsessed with 'sound design' (aka taking good sounds which constitute music and making them sound shit).
But everyone was ripping the shit out of this dude, like 'OMG this sounds awful you really suck bro' type of thing. They are grown men who wouldn't know a good melody if it jumped straight out of their DAW and slapped them in the face, yet they are hating on a literal child for trying to make something that people actually like.

I like learning new stuff about production, some people here are pretty knowledgeable. Also the feedback here is usually decent if I post my own stuff, and I have helped a few other people in the past, its pretty chill in these threads I just thought I would ruin the vibe because I am a bad person.

Sounds fine on my monitors.

I think its like neurofunk like the other dude said, its pretty cool although I got a little bored but I think people who like this music like that kind of structure so you're probably good, the mix is nice other than losing the kick in places.

I think the kick sample isn't so great for certain parts where it gets more full on like at the end, maybe just needs more highs so it cuts through a little better, or maybe sidechain it i dunno, try a few things coz it loses the power of the beat when the kick fades into the background.

Okay /prod/ gimme some gud VSTs to pirate