Sup Sup Forums

sup Sup Forums
Does anyone have any good hacks for staying in a big city (specifically NY) on the cheap while still enjoying it for a week? Im greyhounding it over there, using couchsurfing.com for a place, going to the MoMA free day, maybe try to rope a free zoo trip in at the bronx zoo. But im thinking other hacks to further cheapen it...stuff like food costs, cheapest fund things to do, how to get around things that normally cost money.

All tips are hugely appreciated and I shall bump with the endless pile of funny shit i save in my downloads.

Where are you from? I'm just wondering if you have a Chinese Bus.

stay somewhere near the hospital, then when you get jumped and beaten while walking around, you can get a ride back in an ambulance, so you can save on a cab fare.

I have thought about that but couldnt really find any when I made a quick search. Im in Orlando, FL right now btw.

Well even NYC has ramen noodles if you want to eat for 25 cents.

Although there's plenty of actual real pizza at $1/slice too.

Nothing is cheaper than the subway to get around, there's few tourist things that aren't within walking distance. If you're too cheap for the $2.75 fare, just make sure there's no cops (or people just standing around that might be undercovers) and jump the turnstile or walk through the emergency exits (people always open them, they disconnected the sirens so even non-niggerville stations use them normally now)

Don't forget to buy tickets for the Staten Island Ferry from one of the nice gentlemen in the park.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to strike a balance where its not totally shit but still very cheap. I do remember a great dollar pizza spot in Harlem, any other ones you might know?

I was personally thinking just having that and the canned spaghetti hoops (just cause I randomly find them delicious, Heinz ones in the UK is better tho)

Very interesting about the disconnected sirens though, in brooklyn there were always a bunch of people just chilling by the gates tho

dont you die on me.

Some more tips:

Don't fucking stop in the middle of the sidewalk.

We're not rude, we're just busy and constantly harassed by tourists.

Yes, that dude is taking a shit in the subway/on the sidewalk. No, nobody cares. Keep moving.

Crazy people scream in the streets. That's their thing. Just leave them alone.

Topless girls and characters in the shithole disneyville of times square expect a tip of at least $5 for a photo, it's not required but their pimps/bosses don't care about a petty assault charge for punching you over it.

Dollar pizza places are all over the place in manhattan. 2 brothers is the biggest chain, the best tasting dollar slice i've had is the dollar place on 6th ave by washington square park. although 2 bros pizza is different from place to place and day to day, sometimes shit, sometimes better than the $2.50-5 slices

people chill outside the gates to ask for a swipe from people with unlimited cards. if you're white, you don't even have to ask, everytime i've stood there someone has offered within 5 minutes at busy stations.

Question. Are you a cheapskate, or are you broke? Not trying to be funny, because I'm a proud cheapskate. But if you don't have the money for a trip to NY, then shouldn't you be using your money on more important things?

Ha, dont worry I used to live in big cities, those laws are universal, fuckin hate people who dont know how to walk on the sidewalk in an orderly fashion (in Hong Kong it drove me god damn nuts, asians are crazy mayne).

Thanks for the pizza tip! And damn i had no idea about the swipes, if thats for real i gotta try. Thankfully I was born white

While a bit of cheapskate, I am mainly asking because I am currently broke. The reason I am going up there is to see someone who will be there for 2-3 days that I know from Europe that may be able to help me out. I figured because I barely travel now I might as well make it a week if i can get free accommodation (still debating length of trip however).

>We're not rude, we're just busy and constantly harassed by tourists

Dude. Every time I've been there, all I saw was New Yorkers harassing tourists.

yeah, it's illegal to sell swipes (niggers do this, sometimes they break the machines so you have no choice)... but it's not illegal to give swipes away for free. so people will donate swipes to people asking. but only people coming out can do it, because once it's been swiped, it can't be swiped again for 15 minutes.

Only tourists who can't walk.

Or fuck, one time this tourist fucking argued with me about the directions.

>at 34th st n/q/r
>"how do i get to astoria blvd?"
>tell her to take the N train
>"but my directions say take the Q"
>explain, "the Q is not running right now because of construction. The N also goes there"
>"no, I have to take the Q"
>wtf, well fine then, "ok, well the next Q train will be in 4 hours when the construction stops for rush hour service"
>"4 hours?!?!?!!?"
>me: "or, take the N, and it will take you to that stop in 20 minutes"
>idiot walks away and proceeds to ask the same question to someone else

ffs i mean wtf, i even explained this in both english and their native language (french)

how would you treat tourists when all they do is shit like that and block sidewalks

Look for hotels that do a continental/buffet breakfast. You walk in towards the end of the it's hours and they won't give the slightest shit about checking for a room key.

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably get the MTA recharged but good to know in a pinch.

Any tips on how to do shit that normally costs money but avoid the cost will also be appreciated.

Oh yeah..have seen similar tips, someone once wrote out an entire step by step guide. Gotta look that up. Thanks!

like what? i was being sarcastic about the SI ferry; it's actually free, selling tickets to tourists is a major scam

i haven't been to most of the tourist traps since i was a little kid.

the members only places often let people bring guests for free if you mean getting into private pools or membership clubs and such

that's also good for finding nice bathrooms and nice couches to chill at while taking in the view.

there's a sky lobby for a hotel near times square i just love. beautiful bathroom to shoot up in, then nice couches to just chill in and take in the skyline before descending back into the hell of PABT

Ha, I figured it was a scam no worries.
Well shit like how the zoo and museums do free days to the public. Anything on those lines that might not be common knowledge. Hell, if you know a paid place that happens to have an unguarded side entrance ill take it too.

Hah, totally have done that for bathrooms. Seriously some of the nicest rooms i've seen regardless of type of room lol.

Whats the hotel? I might hit that up, sounds amazing.

can't really say, haven't been to the tourist places in decades.
if you're staying for a while you can pretend to live there and get a nyc id card, that comes with free admission or trial memberships to dozens of museums and such

favorite is the times square hilton.. since it's right next to the bus terminal i've stopped there dozens of times, you only need to be a guest after 8 or 9pm or so when the public bar closes.

When you said "directions", then you said "her", I knew it was going to be a horror story.

oh yes. i'm normally patient but that set me off.
made me look crazy when the N pulled in and i'm yelling at her "LOOK! LOOK!" and pointing at the stop list. she STILL wouldn't get on the train. i bet she really stood there for hours waiting for the next Q

Thanks! I will definitely hit them up then.